Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

duchalla wrote: »
    Heard a rumour last week about a player from a North Kerry club joining a Killarney club alright,

Plus 2 others not quite so high-profile.

I heard it from a member of the club they are supposed to be joining and he said he thought it was a disgrace - hard to disagree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Spit it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Heard a rumour last week about a player from a North Kerry club joining a Killarney club alright,

That rumour surfaces ever year and to be honest i doubt i would see the benefit for the player,The inter county players only play maybe a half dozen games with the club anyway.

On the other side of the coin is there needs to be a stop to this poaching from the large senior clubs.(I.E Jaime O Sullivan & Alan O Sullivan) It will open the floodgates for the death of rural clubs.

I would ask all clubs to stand in solidarity about this and direct your county board delegate to voice an opposition to this.

The big clubs would also want to look past their own noses and look at the bigger picture for Kerry football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Can someone please pm me with these rumoured transfers and who they involve..so I can claim I knew about them all along. ;)

Been a creeping trend of transfers to bigger clubs developing in recent years which is not good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This North Kerry club,they aren't in Division 5 are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

county board are worse to be sanctioning these moves tbh

St Marys winning 2-13 to no score and its almost HT.
    Either they are playing with a hurricane or Corofin are rubbish

Ft - St Marys 4-21 to Corofins 0-1
    the sole Corofin point came in injury time in the second half...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

The Mary's were very good today, Corofin were piss poor to be honest, the wind suited the Mary's in the first half alright. Biggest cheer of the game came when Corofin pointed their free in injury time.

Did the SK players play the full game?

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Did the SK players play the full game?

Bryan Sheehan was the only South Kerry player to play the whole game. He didn't want to come off!

Fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

The Mary's were very good today, Corofin were piss poor to be honest, the wind suited the Mary's in the first half alright. Biggest cheer of the game came when Corofin pointed their free in injury time.

cant believe the scoreline myself , to be fair its a scoreline the killkenny footballers would be embarrassed with , there is always a certain expectation up here to put it up to the kerry and cork teams after they win there respective county finals at what ever grade , but 32 points .....christ that must have been fair bad to watch!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Mary's, like many of their predecessors are Kerry winners, are obviously a step ahead of other intermediate teams then. All pitches must be in poor condition given the amount of rain in West/ South West over the past few days. A lot of lopsided scores too because of the wind. Look at Gaeltacht's comeback in the West Kerry Final yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Notabluffer

Nemo 0-1.4 Legion 0-8
    Looks like Legion were saving a bit for the replay v St.Kerry?
    That's a huge gap even if they were away. Anybody have a report on the match?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nemo 0-1.4 Legion 0-8
    Looks like Legion were saving a bit for the replay v St.Kerry?
    That's a huge gap even if they were away. Anybody have a report on the match?

Not a match report but I did see it on tg4 today.
    Nemo were by far the better team, totally outplayed Legion from the very beginning, were playing in a perfect manner giving the conditions and owned the ball for long periods. They doubled up on Legions top foward and never really looked in any danger of losing.

Maybe Legion were playing within themselves with the replay in mind but I don't think they would have been good enough to beat Nemo anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Not a match report but I did see it on tg4 today.
    Nemo were by far the better team, totally outplayed Legion from the very beginning, were playing in a perfect manner giving the conditions and owned the ball for long periods. They doubled up on Legions top foward and never really looked in any danger of losing.

Maybe Legion were playing within themselves with the replay in mind but I don't think they would have been good enough to beat Nemo anyway.

Nope - Legion are a fairly ordinary team for Kerry County Champions and the odds of them making any serious sort of impact on the All-Ireland & Munster club competitions was always fairly remote - Conor Keane being injured was a big blow because himself and James are the only 2 reliable score-getters for them. Once you go beyond Legion's big players there is a fair drop-off in quality in terms of the weakest 5/8 of their starting 15 and their subs. If their better players have an off-day/are missing/are kept quiet, Legion can look a very limited side.

Nemo were decent and deserved winners but I don't think they will be in the mix in terms of the club finals come March. Would expect them to win Munster and beat the British team in the quarters but to be knocked out at the All-Ireland semi-final stage once they come up against the Leinster winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Sides still deadlocked, 1-12 apiece with six minutes of extra-time left - there may be a conclusion before Christmas!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

How did it finish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

beertons wrote: »
    How did it finish?

SK 1-13 to 1-12

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hard luck Legion, nothing in it over two games and extra time. SKs bench proved the difference

Players for Kerry? I'd have 12 for SK - Walsh was brilliant, Conor Keane to be given alash if James is out for the league which is looking likely but the biggest no brainer is to put in Padge O'Connor for Fionn. He was motm for me today, covered every blade of grass, defended well and got involved arriving late to attacks with two very well taken points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Very hard luck to Legion indeed. They looked to have this match won many times over the 2 and a half games and yet it was not to be. They had a 6 point lead at one stage today and still couldn't pull away. Much of the credit for this was down to the dogged determination of South Kerry who hung in and never let their heads go down.

Bryan Sheehan was magnificent again today. If ever a player deserved a medal for individual effort, he did. I know it's a team game but to be honest SK would never have survived without him. I think it was 1 -6 today including a well taken goal that cut Legion's lead to 3 at a crucial time.

The game went to extra time at 1-11 apiece and that extra time had barely started when the same Bryan Sheehan was justifiably black carded. You would think, game over ball burst at that point and yet it didn't pan out like that. No score in the first 10 of extra time and just 3 scores in the 2nd. It looked like it was heading to another day out.

Legion are young , they will be back.

I think B. Sheehan and Declan O'Sullivan now have 5 county senior medals each which is some haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm not even from Killarney but was rooting for Legion both days. Am really disappointed for them and very much for JOD. After the dizzy heights of 2014 this year was very disappointing for him what with losing two hugely important finals and plagued by an injury. That's sport I suppose but how nice it would be to see a different team share the honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

acequion wrote: »
    I'm not even from Killarney but was rooting for Legion both days. Am really disappointed for them and very much for JOD. After the dizzy heights of 2014 this year was very disappointing for him what with losing two hugely important finals and plagued by an injury. That's sport I suppose but how nice it would be to see a different team share the honours.

If they were good enough they'd have put the game away when they were 6 points up. SK lost Sheehan in extra time (he single handedly dragged them back into the game) and they still had enough to kick on. Legion are young so no doubt they'll be back but chances won't come much better to put a game away than today.

Sounded on the radio like a major bottle job by Legion.

The key moment was bryan sheehans goal, if Legion could have kept them out for another few minutes then they would have won it. Take Sheehan out of the S Kerry team and they wouldnt be anywhere near the final, he deserves the captaincy and will get it as theres not any team likely to beat St Marys in the Sth Kerry championship.
    Wouldnt say it was a great championship by any means, Dingle must be sick, they had Sth Kerry on the ropes and only lost by a point missing the 2 Geaneys and Marc O Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sounded on the radio like a major bottle job by Legion.
    Poor decision making at times left them down but it was timing more than anything - SKs goal came at the perfect time & allowed them to mount a charge. Legion had chances to stretch again & didn't take them - two standout moments were James & Conor Keane (who was fantastic from placed balls all day) tried long range frees on the outside of the boot - when there was no need to kick like that. I take frees and outside of the boot efforts from placed balls are rarely successful imo - wrong options taken there - particularly from James, who's well able to kick from the ground.

Legion dominated midfield for large chunks of the game, yet they slowed the ball in. Times when a pop ball into the FF line was on, it wasn't given and the sweeper got across to cut out the option, forcing Legion back across field - where they were very patient at times,holding the ball for long spells. However their execution at cross field balls to take out the sweeper failed twice and left them open to counter attacks. As good as Legion were at midfield winning primary posession & breaks - it was their use of said posession that left them down.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the captaincy now alright, while the Marys should win the South Kerry championship, Killian Young is probably more gauranteed his place with Kerry than Bryan Sheehan. Sheehan captained Kerry in 2010. I cant see Sheehan being involved in much of the league with Kerry, considering all the football he's being playing with the club and division lately. I could be all wrong, Sheehan could go all out to nail down a starting place, but I wouldnt be surprised to see Killian Young captain.

• Advertisement

Sheehan will be with St Mary's in the Spring presumably?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement