Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

If the Marys win next sunday in the Munster Internmediate final, the All Ireland semi final will be played sometime in Jan, with the final (usually) fixed for Valintines weekend in Croke Park. The Marys still have 2 county league games to play, one fixed for the weekend of the 5th/6th December, They're playing South Kerry Championship against Skellig Rangers on the 13th, semi finals fixed for the following weekend with the final on Stephens Day. Nice bit of football to be played yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sheehan will be with St Mary's in the Spring presumably?

if they win Munster, then yes he will.

cant see him wanting to miss leading out the team in Croke Park in his first game as captain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Some collapse by Legion yesterday. It will haunt them until they win one. Should have pushed on and even had the game in their control when a point up, but gave the ball away resulting in Young's levelling score. Probably a bit too young and inexperienced to be fair, but they became more pedestrian and predictable as the game wore on. South Kerry were unbelievably dogged and had stellar performances from Sheehan, Young, Denis Daly, Paul O'Sullivan ably assisted by Aidan Walsh, Brendan O'Sullivan and subs Dan Daly and Greg Gibson. Their bench was noticeably stronger with several guys who have inter-county experience.
    One man I haven't mentioned above as he didn't do anything spectacular in the actual play, but Declan O'Sullivan's courage and grit should be put on a video and shown to young lads for the next 100 years. This is a man after 14 or 15 years of county football who has won every almost every medal possible, including 4 county championships already. He has very dodgy knees and could easily have sailed off into the sunset and put the feet up, but there he was yesterday dragging himself off the ground repeatedly as the game drew closer to its conclusion to urge on his team, show for ball, draw tackles and slip the ball off to a team mate. He was hardly able to walk for the last 40 mins of the game, yet refused to come off. He had the vision then in the last minute of the 80 odd minutes to pick out Aidan Walsh with a precise pass which he did brilliantly to turn into the winning score. It's been a privilege to watch Declan and if that was his swansong (still a South Kerry championship to come!) it was a fitting one.

Poor Bryan Sheehan and the Mary's lads may hit the wall around Christmas. Munster Intermediate Final next Sunday..12th Sunday in a row for them I think. They're bringing home cups though, which makes things easier!

Don't know about the captaincy. I think we should be leaving to management to pick the captain myself as you don't end up with the best leaders with the current system. Neither Young nor Sheehan are guaranteed a starting place. Young is more likely, but if Mary's win the Jack Murphy then Sheehan will be nominated you can be sure!

D'Agger wrote: »
    Hard luck Legion, nothing in it over two games and extra time. SKs bench proved the difference

Players for Kerry? I'd have 12 for SK - Walsh was brilliant, Conor Keane to be given alash if James is out for the league which is looking likely but the biggest no brainer is to put in Padge O'Connor for Fionn. He was motm for me today, covered every blade of grass, defended well and got involved arriving late to attacks with two very well taken points.

Conor Keane is under 21 next year so hopefully will be preoccupied for the whole spring with that! He needs to toughen up a lot to operate at Senior county level, but time is on his side and he has a lot of the tools needed to be fair.
    Don't think Aidan Walsh is up to that standard. Got 3 good points and the last one was impressive especially, but he was in and out of the game. I couldn't see him stepping up myself.
    Totally agree with you on Podge O'Connor though. Very impressive yesterday. He definitely needs to get a look in the league. Corner backs don't exactly grow on trees!
    Was very disappointed with a number of the Legion players yesterday. Lyne was anonymous and I don't recall him putting in a tackle of note even. Both midfielders were poor. Jamie O'Sullivan stuck the goal well, but gave Bryan Sheehan far too much space then and got destroyed. Shaun Keane seems to have got into a bad habit of thinking games are played at training pace. He was walking into tackles and getting himself in trouble all day. This is a guy who has loads of ability and has played in Sigerson finals and at County Minor and Under 21 level, so it's frustrating to see. Like many of the Legion players, it may be a chastising experience for him in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

That was Declans 5th county title with South Kerry

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »

Yeah, that was just a typo. The 3 in a row team from 2004 to 2006 had a photo in the programme on Sunday. Ridiculously strong squad back then with the Bally/Foilmore lads on board. Not sure who was stronger, that team or the East Kerry team of 1997 to 99. It would be some battle!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Poor decision making at times left them down but it was timing more than anything - SKs goal came at the perfect time & allowed them to mount a charge. Legion had chances to stretch again & didn't take them - two standout moments were James & Conor Keane (who was fantastic from placed balls all day) tried long range frees on the outside of the boot - when there was no need to kick like that. I take frees and outside of the boot efforts from placed balls are rarely successful imo - wrong options taken there - particularly from James, who's well able to kick from the ground.

Legion dominated midfield for large chunks of the game, yet they slowed the ball in. Times when a pop ball into the FF line was on, it wasn't given and the sweeper got across to cut out the option, forcing Legion back across field - where they were very patient at times,holding the ball for long spells. However their execution at cross field balls to take out the sweeper failed twice and left them open to counter attacks. As good as Legion were at midfield winning primary posession & breaks - it was their use of said posession that left them down.

I would describe the final exactly as you have.Legion dominated midfield possesion but used same badly.Had game won but failed to push on with seven point lead.Some warriors for SK though,Sheehan,K Young and Declan O Sullivan never gave up when all seemed lost and they led the less experienced players to brilliant performances

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

wonga77 wrote: »

would Declan be worth a recall to the county panel next year, based off his form this year?

a year out may have rejuvenated him i wonder!? he is still only 31 years old and has plenty to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

would Declan be worth a recall to the county panel next year, based off his form this year?

a year out may have rejuvenated him i wonder!? he is still only 31 years old and has plenty to offer.

I really doubt he is physically up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Not remotely an option in my opinion - the spirit may be willing but the flesh is weak. He may be only 31 but it's a very hard 31 - he has a world of miles on the clock - you can see his body has shipped an amount of wear and tear. He needed crutches after the game the last day.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the final was the last game he plays for South Kerry.

• Advertisement

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Not remotely an option in my opinion - the spirit may be willing but the flesh is weak. He may be only 31 but it's a very hard 31 - he has a world of miles on the clock - you can see his body has shipped an amount of wear and tear. He needed crutches after the game the last day.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the final was the last game he plays for South Kerry.

This.

He'll play with Dromid in SK championship if able, but he's done then AFAIK. As I said above, he's been basically going non-stop since 2000 when he was on the Minor panel. 16 seasons he's been at it. Time to pass on all that experience to the under 21s now from next year on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

From what im hearing he wont be playing in any SK championship this year. I think his knee is well and truly crocked this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Great win for St.Mary's at the weekend. Very few non-Kerry teams are on the winners list for that Munster Intermediate Club title I'd imagine.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Great win for St.Mary's at the weekend. Very few non-Kerry teams are on the winners list for that Munster Intermediate Club title I'd imagine.

8 out of the last 10 winners came from Kerry. Congrats to the Marys, great win in dirty conditions.

Radio5 wrote: »

First 3 titles were won by Cork teams actually..helped by the fact that Carbery Rangers won Munster in 2004 after losing the Cork Final (to Nemo's 2nd team) so they ended up actually winning the Cork & Munster titles again in 2005.

Since 2005 however, it's been 9 out of 10 titles (and 4 All Irelands) for Kerry teams with only Clyda Rovers in 2013 having success for Cork. That was after Miltown-Malbay had taken out Kerry champions Currow. Fairly poor record by Cork teams no matter what way you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

First 3 titles were won by Cork teams actually..helped by the fact that Carbery Rangers won Munster in 2004 after losing the Cork Final (to Nemo's 2nd team) so they ended up actually winning the Cork & Munster titles again in 2005.

Since 2005 however, it's been 9 out of 10 titles (and 4 All Irelands) for Kerry teams with only Clyda Rovers in 2013 having success for Cork. That was after Miltown-Malbay had taken out Kerry champions Currow. Fairly poor record by Cork teams no matter what way you look at it.
    Expected Carrigaline to shade it what with St.Marys having a few guys on the tear after winning the county with South Kerry

Fair dues to Marys but there's a gap between the two counties when it comes to the standard of ball - league in particular

Expected Carrigaline to shade it what with St.Marys having a few guys on the tear after winning the county with South Kerry

Fair dues to Marys but there's a gap between the two counties when it comes to the standard of ball - league in particular

Thought it would be tighter but did expect Mary's to win. The momentum from South Kerry's success has actually helped them and they have a serious forward line in particular. 1-16 against a good standard opposition is serious scoring at this time of year.

Agree on the gap at club level, especially the point about league football.

The Marys are flying in fairness. The speed of some of the passing on saturday was sublime at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

duchalla wrote: »
    The Marys are flying in fairness. The speed of some of the passing on saturday was sublime at times.

Plus this Blast from the Past
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/in-pictures-kerry-legend-maurice-fitzgerald-was-back-playing-for-his-club-last-night-34255937.html

newman10 wrote: »

In view of all the injury problems, he'd might be worth a look for the League! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Cant see too many county league games go ahead tomorrow after all this rain

Big win for Templenoe in the Munster Junior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Declan O'Sullivan has annouced his retirement from football following an operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Declan O'Sullivan has annouced his retirement from football following an operation.

Fairly common knowledge that he was calling time after the county final I thought :confused: been a great servant to Kerry football and I think he'll be sticking with Jack O Connor to learn about management for a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

sorry to hear it great footballer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Two exceptional Centre Forwards calling it a day, with Alan Brogan retiring from Intercounty football as well.

Will be remembered as 2 of the best in the last 15 years.

Legends oft he game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Two exceptional Centre Forwards calling it a day, with Alan Brogan retiring from Intercounty football as well.

Will be remembered as 2 of the best in the last 15 years.

Legends oft he game.
    Always looked at those two players - just thought nobody carried the ball or was as comfortable in possession as them. Whereas Cavanagh always seemed to burst through, they seemed to step around fellas before streaking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

dobman88 wrote: »
    Fairly common knowledge that he was calling time after the county final I thought :confused: been a great servant to Kerry football and I think he'll be sticking with Jack O Connor to learn about management for a while yet.

Don't think he knew himself until this morning;

Declan O Sullivandeclansull11 9h9 hours ago
    After my op this morning sadly my football journey is over. Thank you @dromidgaa @SouthKerryBoard & @Kerry_Official it's been an honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Terrible to hear about the passing of Patrick Curtin RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

cms88 wrote: »
    Terrible to hear about the passing of Patrick Curtin RIP

Yes it is shocking all right.

I heard that a guy working in Liebher had an accident but only saw in The Kerryman last week that it was him.

He was a guy that showed a good bit of potential back a few years ago.

God rest him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement