Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

cms88 wrote: »
    Terrible to hear about the passing of Patrick Curtin RIP

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

rip patrick , very sad news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Excellent performance by the Kerry hurlers so far, only trailing Cork by five after 47 minutes, so augurs well for the 1B League campaign. Meanwhile, the scratch football team lead Clare by 6 points to 3 approaching HT.

FT Cork 1-20 0-18 Kerry - one wonders how many of Cork's first XV were playing?

• Advertisement

Good competitive game for the hurlers again today,Cork played yesterday as well so they had a different panel togging out.

Cork (Munster SHL v Kerry):

D Dalton (Fr O’Neill’s); C Buckley (Na Piarsaigh), C Barry (Castlelyons), D Browne (Kanturk); D Cahalane (St Finbarr’s), A Walsh (Kanturk), B Moylan (Glen Rovers); B Lawton (Castlemartyr), D Brosnan (Glen Rovers); C Cormack (Blackrock), W Leahy (Aghada), P O’Rourke (Na Piarsaigh); T O’Mahony (Newtownshandrum), L O’Farrell (Midleton), D Lee (Na Piarsaigh).

They had Pa Cronin,Alan Cadogan,Seamus Harnedy and Daniel Kearney on the bench

These games will bring on the young lads that are on the Kerry panel this year,hopefully with the remaining games in the Munster League we will remain competitive and get a few of the older lads back on the panel,still missing a few key players.

If we can keep it up then we should be in good form going into the League games.

Clare beat the footballers 0-12 to 0-9, still, fair to say the focus will be firmly on the Dublin game on the 30th.

Kerry team today V Clare

1 Shane Murphy (Kilcummin)

2 Brian Ó Beaglaoich (An Ghaeltacht)

3 Ger Hartnett (Beaufort)

4 Paul O'Sullivan (Valentia)

5 Padraig O'Connor (Killarney Legion)

6 Damien O'Sullivan (Killarney Legion)

7 Tom O'Sullivan (Dingle)

8 Brendan O'Sullivan (Valentia)

9 Wayne Guthrie (Austin Stacks)

10 Philip O'Connor (Cordal)

11 Jamie O'Sullivan (Killarney Legion)

12 Shane O'Callaghan (Austin Stacks)

13 Pa Joy (Laune Rangers)

14 Gavin O'Grady (Glenbeigh/Glencar)

15 Jeff O'Donoghue (Glenflesk)

Fir Ionaid:

17 Shaun Keane (Killarney Legion)

18 Darragh O'Brien (Austin Stacks)

19 Kieran Crowley (Laune Rangers)

20 Cathal Moriarty (Milltown/Castlemaine)

21 Maurice Foley (Laune Rangers)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Beaten 12 points to 9.

Were well clear at half time, but very poor second half against a strong Clare side.

7 - 4 at the half AFAIK.

Hurlers beaten by Cork by 5 points and Kerry missed a penalty. Really showing signs of improvement.

Cork claim points against hard-working Kerry

Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 05:16 pm
    By Michael Moynihan, Mallow

Cork 1-20 Kerry 0-18

No upsets in Mallow, with Cork winning this Munster Senior Hurling League clash with Kerry handily.

Cork started Conor Lehane instead of Brian Lawton, and the Midleton man lit up the early proceedings with three fine points, one from a free. As expected, the home side were sharper and settled quickly, running up a 0-5 to nil score in the opening ten minutes.

When Kerry settled they had Michael O'Leary's industry to thank. The full-forward was playing a withdrawn role, giving Cork a numerical advantage in the full-back line, but O'Leary's brace and two Shane Nolan frees back in the game.

Unfortunately for Kerry, however, a Luke O'Farrell goal for Cork on eleven minutes split those scores, which meant it was 1-6 to 0-6 at the end of the first quarter.

With Lehane and Dean Brosnan seeing plenty of the ball in midfield, Cork dominated for ten minutes, hitting four points - Brian Moylan, Brosnan (two) and Lehane - but Kerry impressed in the run-in to the break.

A neat point by Colm Harty was augmented by two Nolan frees, leaving the score 1-11 to 0-9 at the half, and Kerry well in the hunt.

Kerry kept pace with Cork early in the second half, the sides going point for point, but two points by Seamus Harnedy and an Alan Cadogan effort pushed them 1-18 to 0-14 ahead at the three-quarter mark. Colm Harty and Michael O’Leary had points before sub Mikey Boyle won a penalty for Kerry.

It was the Kingdom’s chance to spring a surprise, but Cork ‘keeper Declan Dalton saved Shane Nolan’s effort comfortably.

Cork were never troubled afterwards, though there was one more twist when, with three minutes left, Cadogan and Darren Dineen saw straight reds after a brief flare-up in the Kerry goal.

Scorers for Cork: C. Lehane (0-6, 2 frees), L. O’Farrell (1-3); S. Harnedy (0-4, 2 frees); B. Moylan (1 free), D. Brosnan, A. Cadogan (0-2 each); C. O’Leary (0-1).

Scorers for Kerry: S. Nolan (frees), M. O’Leary (0-5); C. Harty (0-3); P. Lucid (0-2); B. O’Leary, J. Conway, J. Goulding (0-1 each).

CORK: D. Dalton, C. Buckley, C. Barry, D. Browne, M. O'Keeffe, D. Cahalane, B. Moylan, C. Lehane, D. Brosnan, C. Cormack, S. Harnedy, P. O'Rourke, T. O'Mahony, L. O'Farrell, C. O'Leary.

Subs: A. Cadogan for O’Leary, C. O’Sullivan for Browne (HT); A. Dennehy for O’Keeffe, W. Leahy for O’Mahony (47); L. Meade for Lehane (63).

KERRY: M. Stackpoole, S. Weir, B. Murphy, D. Fitzelle, D. Collins ( c), D. Dineen, J. Diggins, P. O'Connor, P. Lucid, C. Harty, B. O'Leary, S. Nolan, K. Carmody, M. O'Leary, J. Conway.

Subs: J. O’Connor for P. O’Connor, M. Boyle for Carmody (46); T. Murnane for Fitzelle (56); J. Goulding for Nolan (63).

Referee: R. McGann (Clare).

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/cork-claim-points-against-hard-working-kerry-714970.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Paul galvin gone into retirement, but Looks like everybody else is back for the year!

Here we go again, can't believe we are already starting a new season again.

There is a possibility Ballyduff may not compete in the County Senior Football League this coming season.

Ballyduff won just one of 10 games in Division 5 in 2015, giving 3 walkovers in the process.

Player availability is an issue but no decision has been made yet.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/possibility-of-team-withdrawing-from-county-senior-football-league/

Would be sad to see this happening to Ballyduff.

There is a possibility Ballyduff may not compete in the County Senior Football League this coming season.

Ballyduff won just one of 10 games in Division 5 in 2015, giving 3 walkovers in the process.

Player availability is an issue but no decision has been made yet.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/possibility-of-team-withdrawing-from-county-senior-football-league/

Would be sad to see this happening to Ballyduff.

how have they been in terms of fielding teams in the hurling?

how have they been in terms of fielding teams in the hurling?

Senior's were fine,made the championship semi final last year

U21's and minors joined up with Causeway

he Kerry team to play Tipperary in Round 2 of the McGrath Cup in Tipperary Town on Sunday at 2pm is a much changed side from that which did duty on Sunday last againstClare. Eleven of the match day squad for last year’s All Ireland Final are in the panel, nine of those start.

Four of last weeks starting fifteen retain their place.
    The team, captained by Renard’s Killian Young is as follows:

1 Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    2 Briain O Beaglaoich An Ghaeltacht
    3 Mark Griffin St Michaels-Foilmore
    4 Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
    5 Paul Murphy Rathmore
    6 Killian Young (Captain) Reenard
    7 Padraig O'Connor Killarney Legion
    8 David Moran Kerins O'Rahillys
    9 Tommy Walsh Kerins O'Rahillys
    10 Philip O'Connor Cordal
    11 Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    12 Jamie O'Sullivan Killarney Legion
    13 Barry John Keane Kerins O'Rahillys
    14 Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory
    15 Stephen O'Brien Kenmare

Fir Ionaid:
    16 Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    17 Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    18 Tom O'Sullivan Dingle
    19 Paul O'Sullivan Valentia
    20 Wayne Guthrie Austin Stacks
    21 Conor Cox Listowel Emmets

Bainistíocht
    Bainisteóir: Eamonn Fitzmaurice (Finuge)
    Róghnóirí:
    Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle),
    Mikey Sheehy (Austin Stacks),
    Padraig Corcoran (Dingle),
    Liam Hassett (Laune Rangers)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Good to see a decent team back on the field after last week's selection which demeaned the Kerry jersey slightly IMO.

Good to see Cox back on the squad. He deserves a run during the league.

i thought we were out of the Mcgrath cup now that we had lost the first round, this must be a new thing!

how does it work if we win tomorrow?
    Good to see a decent team back on the field after last week's selection which demeaned the Kerry jersey slightly IMO.

Good to see Cox back on the squad. He deserves a run during the league.

forward line is poor, lets be fair.

you'd hope theres 3 or 4 lads brought into that for the Dubs game, theres about 10 big names missing off that panel and you'd want a good share of them back for the trip to croke park in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i thought we were out of the Mcgrath cup now that we had lost the first round, this must be a new thing!

you'd hope theres 3 or 4 lads brought into that for the Dubs game, theres about 10 big names missing off that panel and you'd want a good share of them back for the trip to croke park in two weeks time.

as far as i know its clare and cork next Friday night in mallow in the final , i assume the game this weekend is the final game in the group just to fulfill the fixture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

This year it was 2 groups of 3 with the county who topped the group getting into the final. Kerry Tipp and Clare in one group Waterford, Limerick and Cork in the other. Clare beat Tipp the weekend before and after beating Kerry that meant they were into the final.

The last group game against Tipp is this weekend but neither side can do better than Clare's 4 points total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

It's not that bad a forward line. 3 players who I would consider starting level for championship. Buckley, O'Brien, Keane. Alan Fitz and Philip O'Connor are decent Junior level players. Pity O'Connor is so light as he has oodles of skill. Jamie O'Sullivan getting run based on County championship, but don't see him making senior panel. Cox to come in and he has already played several league games at Senior level aswell as shining at Sigerson level. I've seen way worse forward lines named. The Dublin league game in Killarney of 2013 comes to mind.

In terms of players coming back in, Geaney, Jameso, Enright, Crowley, Gooch, Maher all out injured or due operations at the moment as far as I'm aware. Bryan Sheehan surely due a break. Don't want him burned out too early. Given all that you're looking at an unfamiliar lineup for Dublin game but the likes of Podge O'Connor, Cox, Brian Begley, David Culhane would be due a run anyway IMO. Paul O'Sullivan performed well in the county championship also so may get a go.

• Advertisement

It's not that bad a forward line. 3 players who I would consider starting level for championship. Buckley, O'Brien, Keane. Alan Fitz and Philip O'Connor are decent Junior level players. Pity O'Connor is so light as he has oodles of skill. Jamie O'Sullivan getting run based on County championship, but don't see him making senior panel. Cox to come in and he has already played several league games at Senior level aswell as shining at Sigerson level. I've seen way worse forward lines named. The Dublin league game in Killarney of 2013 comes to mind.

Both Phillip O'Connor and Alan Fitz got a couple of sub appearances in the league last year. Almost impossible to see Phillip O'Connor making an impact unless he has bulked up quite a bit since then - he was way too light and it was very apparent in the Mayo game where he was shown up to be completely physically overmatched. Mobility to be a bit issue for Jamie O'Sullivan Really can't see him being an serious option when the pitches firm up. In terms of options I wouldn't exactly die of surprise if Tommy Walsh spent some time in the forwards at some stage - might see him moving them against Tipp depending on how subs/injuries/fitness/the match itself is going.

Cooper should be back in contention for the the Dublin game. Will be March for any of the rest who had surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I presume Sheehan wont be back until the Marys are out of the intermediate championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone there today? DDC?

keane2097 wrote:
    Anyone there today? DDC?

Afraid not. Holed up in Dublin. Wont see the team in the flesh till the 31st

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Afraid not. Holed up in Dublin. Wont see the team in the flesh till the 31st

There has to be a Ger Loughnane joke in there somewhere. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone there today? DDC?

Brendan Kealy - Played 35 mins his kickouts were far superior to Kelly's
    Briain O Beaglaoich - Steady performance
    Mark Griffin - Played very well cut out everything that came his way
    Fionn Fitzgerald - Got on alot of ball and played well
    Paul Murphy - decent performance
    Killian Young - showed great leadership,held tight a well marshalled defence
    Padraig O'Connor - Was very bright,showed great leadership going forward
    David Moran - Did the usual
    Tommy Walsh - sketchy enough at times,just looked rusty
    Philip O'Connor - Man of the match,constantly in possession and scored 2 pts
    Johnny Buckley - excellent first half and was subbed early in 2nd
    Jamie O'Sullivan - Got through the game without doing anything noteworthy
    Barry John Keane - Struggles in these conditions but did OK
    Alan Fitzgerald - His 1st point was a beauty,played well,our top scorer from play
    Stephen O'Brien - Worked hard but needs to score more,Kicking can be erratic

Subs were introduced as the spark went out of the game,Would be difficult to judge them although Paul O Sullivan looked very comfortable

Brian Kelly
    Jonathan Lyne
    Tom O'Sullivan
    Paul O'Sullivan
    Wayne Guthrie
    Conor Cox

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Philip O'Connor - Man of the match,constantly in possession and scored 2 pts

Is he any bigger than last year.

I remember him coming on against Mayo in the league last year, and his legs were so thin.

EDIT: For those that think i'm picking on him, here is a picture from a Junior game last year, to show what I mean.
    2015-07-28_wex_11465587_I3.JPG

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Is he any bigger than last year.

I remember him coming on against Mayo in the league last year, and his legs were so thin.

EDIT: For those that think i'm picking on him, here is a picture from a Junior game last year, to show what I mean.
    2015-07-28_wex_11465587_I3.JPG

No I think this is a totally legitimate concern. He seems to have the football any time I've seen him but just physically he wasn't up to intercounty last year - he got absolutely thrown out of it a couple of times in the Mayo league game last year.

A meaningless McGrath cup game against Tipp is one thing but any sort of top team would surely target him as a weakness.

I don't think size is the issue more core strength - Paul Murphy is no size at all but he has got wirey core strength. He's never going to be a colossus,but if he could increase his strength he could be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Am I bonkers or is that Mattie Forde in the photo?

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Am I bonkers or is that Mattie Forde in the photo?

No it is him - he came on in the Junior semi-final where the Kerry Juniors played the Wexford last year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement