Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

So Sunday 3 January, 2010, in Austin Stack Park at 14:00 hrs, Kerry play IT Tralee in the first round of the McGrath cup.
    The main Kerry panel will be in New York / Jamaica at the time.
    So we'll get an opportunity to see some of the younger fellas play their first games for kerry. Looking forward to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

paddy978 wrote: »
    I remember when Mike Frank left he said he would reconsider this year?

Wouldn't be interested in him anymore tbh - would have little to offer at inter-county level now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

fresca wrote: »
    So Sunday 3 January, 2010, in Austin Stack Park at 14:00 hrs, Kerry play IT Tralee in the first round of the McGrath cup.
    The main Kerry panel will be in New York / Jamaica at the time.
    So we'll get an opportunity to see some of the younger fellas play their first games for kerry. Looking forward to it...

The panel will be interesting alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so who we looking at being involved? a few lads from Rahillys like Brian Moran (if over injury) and BJ Keane? Some of the crokes lads, Stam, Shane Enright? a few lads from Listowel Emmets....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'd imagine it'd consist of minor teams from the last 2/3 years - B.Keally(spelling?) in goals imo, Johnathon Lyne, Podge O' Connor, James Donoghue from Legion, Stam, maybe Niall O'Mahoney from Spa, Dathaí Casey, Mike Moloney, Jamie Doolan from Crokes would be a few of the East Kerry contingent I'd include.

• Advertisement

we need backs tested out asap.

id love to see your man Hicky from south kerry get a call up. any idea about ronan o connor from ballyduff( think he was involved last year in the competition at full back)? also, Jack O Connor loves brendan guiney. he came on from listowel the last day and changed the game....any chance of him getting called up or i wonder is he suffering from injuries/loss of form in general?

lads, another way of looking at it, while we aint won a minor all ireland for years, we aint been far off it. Tyrone (Final), Armagh (semi), Galway(semi), Roscommon (Final, replay) have all beaten us in the past 4 years and went on to win it. we could and perhaps should have won them all, except for Armagh this year. weve nearly every munster minor title in the past 8 or 9 years at munster level, think its 7 out of 9 or something like that, so while cork seem to have the edge at 21's (2 titles v 1 in past 3 years all ireland), they cant be that much better than us? for their colm o neills and gouldings, we still have the likes of Killian Young, David Moran, Barry John to step up when a few more lads retire. i expect tommy walsh back also within 2 years.

word on the streets at home is that Darragh O Se, is staying on :), subject to change of heart of course....i reckon that we will have everybody who played last year bar the 3 lads who have left already.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

word on the streets at home is that Darragh O Se, is staying on :), subject to change of heart of course....i reckon that we will have everybody who played last year bar the 3 lads who have left already.....

Is that the long version of you don't have a clue:confused::D

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Is that the long version of you don't have a clue:confused::D

errm, no, as it stands, he is staying on....he, like anybody else, can change their minds....

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

that's great news about Darragh. This will drive competition in midfield again this year. Also its a lot easier for Tomas to stay on if there's someone to share the drive from An Ghaeltacht.

• Advertisement

manster wrote: »
    that's great news about Darragh. This will drive competition in midfield again this year. Also its a lot easier for Tomas to stay on if there's someone to share the drive from An Ghaeltacht.

errm, thomas live in ballincollig or someplace like that, in cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

errm, thomas live in ballincollig or someplace like that, in cork!

True and Darragh works in Tralee. :o

The point I'm trying to make is that having eachother at training is a great motivational factor. It's pure stubborness on their part that they won't retire if the other is still playing - also the pride of having one more medal than the younger brother would also drive him on. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Is there anyone with senior intercounty experience playing v IT Tralee?

paddy978 wrote: »
    Is there anyone with senior intercounty experience playing v IT Tralee?

the entire panel is on holidays that week so i guess not! add in the fact that some of the others who could be involved, will be playing with their colleges as that is the rule there and you have a very inexperienced team.

i cant wait for this game, would love to go to it, hopefully it will uncover some of the lads who are on this development squad. i would expect somebody like Ogie Moran to take the helm for this, and the team to contain about 3/4 lads from crokes and rahillys and a few more from the likes of listowel, finuge, south kerry etc who were all playing club football up until a few weeks back.

Heard recently that Georgie O' Keefe of Rathmore will be on the panel for the Kerry game against ITT. Tom Sull was asked to propose a few from his club I'd imagine it'll be the same with other members of the team. Reeks of nepotism imo - now would be a good time to get a better view of what other players are out there by having a few trials. While it mightn't be the best time of year for it I think it'd serve the team alot better in time to come.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Heard recently that Georgie O' Keefe of Rathmore will be on the panel for the Kerry game against ITT. Tom Sull was asked to propose a few from his club I'd imagine it'll be the same with other members of the team. Reeks of nepotism imo - now would be a good time to get a better view of what other players are out there by having a few trials. While it mightn't be the best time of year for it I think it'd serve the team alot better in time to come.

to be honest, taking out the entire panel of 30, players who are injured, players who are not interested and players who have to line out for their colleges, the chances of anybody half decent being over looked are slim. if you have any chance of making it, this is the game you need to be in on! i expect some total un heard of players to be in there to be honest plus surely 15-20 of the under 21's (even of few of last years minors) from the past 2/3 years.

Nice to see the lads got to meet Bolt, the greatest sports star in the world on the trip to the Kerrybean.
    Of course he does run in the Kerry colours.
    Perhaps he is considering coming in for Tommy Walsh for the year. The Olympics are years away:D
    http://www.kerrygaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1053:olympic-100m-champion-usain-bolt-meets-kerry-team-&catid=46:team-news-senior-football&Itemid=35

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Nice to see the lads got to meet Bolt, the greatest sports star in the world on the trip to the Kerrybean.
    Perhaps he is considering coming in for Tommy Walsh for the year. The Olympics are years away:D
    http://www.kerrygaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1053:olympic-100m-champion-usain-bolt-meets-kerry-team-&catid=46:team-news-senior-football&Itemid=35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PousjvySZvE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Murphy retires.

Jack is saying that Kerry are unlikely to be a force in the league- I guess we'll be seeing a lot of new faces so

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0115/murphyd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Murphy retires.

Jack is saying that Kerry are unlikely to be a force in the league- I guess we'll be seeing a lot of new faces so

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0115/murphyd.html

As a Cork man I just want to say that he was one the finest keepers I have seen. Guy who went about his business in professional manner and was as solid keeper you will find between the posts.

It will be hard to replace a quality keeper like him. For me the best keeper of last decade bar none.

• Advertisement

big loss,but a keeper is the one place that is not that hard to replace and we have been lucky,our younger keepers for the past 4 or 5 years have all been top class.

3 lads now, battling for 2 places if they want it,Reidy,Keeley and Mac an Tsaoir.

Our Minor Keeper last year Paul O Connor looks a serious prospect,but a bit young yet.

I think Mac an Tsaoir is starting against ITT today. anybody heading to that game?

team that played today-

Ger Reidy,
    Padraig Reidy, Tommy Griffin, Adrian O'Connor/O'Connell
    Killian, Aiden O'Mahony, Maurice Corridan,
    Seamus Scanlon, David Moran,
    John O'Connor(K O'R), Bryan, Doncha,
    Kieran O'Leary, KD, Paul O'Connor

team that beat ITT yesterday -

Mac an tsaoir (gaeltacht)
    aidan sullivan (dromid)
    pat corridon (finuge)
    adrian o connell (foilmore)
    podge o connor (legion)
    mike moloney (crokes)
    declan griffin (duagh)
    alan o sullivan (tousist)
    mike quirke (kerins o rahillys)
    paul o donoghue (mitchels)
    bj keane (kerins o rahillys)
    brian looney (crokes)
    niall o mahony (spa)
    mike donoghue (spa)
    dave geaney (dingle)

subs who played were denis mc elligott (stacks) for griffin, james o donoghue (legion) for geaney) george o keeffe (rathmore) for p o donoghue, jonathon lyne (legion) for moloney.

team that played today-

Ger Reidy,
    Padraig Reidy, Tommy Griffin, Adrian O'Connor/O'Connell
    Killian, Aiden O'Mahony, Maurice Corridan,
    Seamus Scanlon, David Moran,
    John O'Connor(K O'R), Bryan, Doncha,
    Kieran O'Leary, KD, Paul O'Connor

team that beat ITT yesterday -

Mac an tsaoir (gaeltacht)
    aidan sullivan (dromid)
    pat corridon (finuge)
    adrian o connell (foilmore)
    podge o connor (legion)
    mike moloney (crokes)
    declan griffin (duagh)
    alan o sullivan (tousist)
    mike quirke (kerins o rahillys)
    paul o donoghue (mitchels)
    bj keane (kerins o rahillys)
    brian looney (crokes)
    niall o mahony (spa)
    mike donoghue (spa)
    dave geaney (dingle)

subs who played were denis mc elligott (stacks) for griffin, james o donoghue (legion) for geaney) george o keeffe (rathmore) for p o donoghue, jonathon lyne (legion) for moloney.

Seems like very few North Kerry lads are getting a chance. Is the John O Connor from Kerins O Rahillys Jack's nephew?
    I would have thought that the likes of Ardfert, Listowel Emmets and even Churchill who won the novice and got promoted last season might have had someone worth looking at.
    How about that Kerry minor keeper that was heroic against Armagh last season for instance?

we aint done too badly though in north kerry last 2 years, more than ever on the panel...

2 corridans and Galvin from Finuge, Quirke and Maher from Duagh, Tadhg from Emmets with Guiney there 2/3 years ago, likewise Paddy Kelly. i dont think there are any players who are worth a shot. Shane Enright, Colin O Mahony were playing for their colleges as was Paddy Curtin against Kerry yesterday. they may get a call up during the year to the training panel.

thats it really up north i think. paul o sullivan the keeper your on about maybe on the u-21s but he still is only 18 like...

so surprised however to see none from Ardfert for sure.but dont forget, kerry is a big county, with 50+ senior teams to pick from.

Congrats to Spa on reaching the Intermediate All Ireland final after beating Maynooth 2-11 to 2-9.

Final to be played on Valentines day (Feb. 14th for those non-romantics) in Croke Park. Absolutely delighted for them and well deserved!!

Spa Abú! :D

well done also to castlegregory!

both intermediate and junior winners are once again in the all ireland finals, our record over the past 4 years in this has been top notch.

i think weve had 8 finalists in the past 5 years now. 5 winners and 2 still to play. shows how strong club football is in Kerry. if only we could sort out the senior mess so that we always put our best team into the munster every year. Crokes were shafted this year.

Foilmore and Skellig last year.
    Ardfert and Duagh in 2007.
    Arfert in 2006.
    Finuge in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

What a ridiculous comment, everyone knows that Darragh O Se is the greatest sports star in the world :D

great win yesterday....lots of injuries, bring on the dubs :)
    McGrath Cup: Kingdom bridge 14-year gap
    Kerry's James O'Donoghue, who scored the crucial goal in the McGrath Cup final, gets away from Peter Crowley of UCC
    31 January 2010

Click Here
    Kerry warmed up for next Sunday's mouth-watering NFL opener against Dublin by capturing the McGrath Cup for only the second time in their history at Tralee yesterday.

Kerry 1-11
    UCC 0-9

Remarkably, it was the Kingdom's first success in the pre-season competition in 14 years and afterwards, Killian Young lifted the trophy in the absence of their injured captain Bryan Sheehan.

The All-Ireland champions triumphed, despite finishing the game with just 13 players. Aidan O'Mahony was sent off on a second yellow card, while goal-scorer James O'Donoghue was forced off with an ankle injury in the closing stages after manager Jack O'Connor had already used his allotted five substitutes.

UCC, who have an important Sigerson Cup date with NUIG on Wednesday, came close to finding the net early on, but Kerryman Daithi Casey's shot was tipped over the bar by the home side's goalkeeper Ger Reidy.

A booming Kieran Donaghy point helped settle Kerry and he then played a clever one-two with corner forward O'Donoghue who blasted the opening goal. Points from Declan O'Sullivan and O'Donoghue extended the Kingdom's advantage before frees from David O'Callaghan, Mike Griffin and David Goold brought the students back into it.

But scores from new midfielder Alan O'Sullivan and Paul O'Connor ensured Jack O'Connor's side of a 1-6 to 0-4 half-time lead.

Kerry continued to keep their opponents at a comfortable distance in the second half with O'Sullivan, Donaghy and Donncha Walsh all finding the target. At the other end, UCC lived off frees and never threatened an upset.

Scorers - Kerry: J O'Donoghue 1-3 (2f), Alan O'Sullivan 0-3, K Donaghy 0-2, Declan O'Sullivan, D Walsh, and Paul O'Connor 0-1 each. UCC: D O'Callaghan (2f), D Casey 0-2 each, D Gould (1f), D Kearney(1f), B Shanahan, M Griffin and R O'Hagen 0-1 each

Kerry: G Reidy; P Reidy, T Griffin, P Corridan; A Shine O'Sullivan, A O'Mahony, K Young, M Quirke, Alan O'Sullivan; P Galvin; Declan O'Sullivan, D Walsh; J O'Donoghue, K Donaghy, P O'Connor. Subs: Paudge O'Connor for P Reidy (h/t), B J Keane for Paul O'Connor (40), S Scanlon for M Quirke (45), K O'Leary for D O'Sullivan (50), B Looney for D Walsh (50)

UCC: K O'Halloran; L Jennings, D O'Donovan, S Enright; B Daly, A Greaney, P Crowley; B Shanahan, M Mennis; D Casey, M Griffin, D O'Callaghan; L Shorten, D Gould, C Daly. Subs: E Hegarty for S Enright (21), R O'Hagen for D Gould (h/t), S Kiely for M Mennis (50), B McPolin for K O'Halloran (57), R Buckley for D O'Callaghan (58)

Referee: Maurice Condon (Waterford).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

You weren't at that game by any chance homerjay - did O Halloran go off injured for UCC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

right ladies & gents.... 2 games played, no points. we'll probably have to win our remaining home games to stay in the division. maybe need to get something out of galway and tyrone too.

any thoughts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement