Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The team, captained by Killian Young is as follows:
    1. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    2. Brian Ó Beaglaoich A Ghaeltacht
    3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    6. Killian Young (C) Renard
    7. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
    8. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    9. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    10. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    11. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    14. Tommy Walsh Kerins O’Rahillys
    15. Philip O’Connor Cordal
    Fir Ionaid:
    16. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    17. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    18. Padraig O’Connor Killarney Legion
    19. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar
    20. Brendan O’Sullivan Valentia
    21. Jamie O’Sullivan Killarney Legion
    22. Gavin O’Grady Glenbeigh-Glencar
    23. Paul O’Sullivan Valentia
    24. Marcus Mangan Milltown-Castlemaine
    25. Tom O’Sullivan Dingle
    26. Conor Cox Listowel Emmets

As weak a Kerry bench as I can remember in a long time. Happy enough with the starting 15 though.

Could be a long night though.

Edit: Fixed the weird symbols

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

DDC1990 wrote: »
    The team, captained by Killian Young is as follows: 
    1. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin 
    2. Brian Ã႒“ Beaglaoich A Ghaeltacht
    3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore 
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Paul Murphy Rathmore 
    6. Killian Young (C) Renard
    7. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes 
    8. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    9. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    10. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    11. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    14. Tommy Walsh Kerins O’Rahillys
    15. Philip O’Connor Cordal
    Fir Ionaid: 

As weak a Kerry bench as I can remember in a long time. Happy enough with the starting 15 though.

Edit: Don't know whats up with the fada's. Copied it from the Kerry website where it looks grand, but im on the phone.

As you say, the first fifteen is pretty much Championship standard, so even if the bench is threadbare, they should be competitive for the first 50 minutes, at any rate.

Dublin -2.0 at Evens looks like a decent bet, though we do manage to play well in these Croke Park games in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Fir Ionaid:

Edit: Fixed the weird symbols

Yeah - really need to avoid any early black cards or injuries in the first half.

By my count 6 of the lads on the bench have never played a minute of league football before

Darran O'Sullivan Glenbeigh
    Brendan O’Sullivan Valentia
    Jamie O’Sullivan Killarney Legion
    Paul O’Sullivan Valentia
    Tom O’Sullivan Dingle

#just the five O'Sullivans

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dublin -2.0 at Evens looks like a decent bet, though we do manage to play well in these Croke Park games in the league.

**** it anyway it was 2.1 before the team was named. I thought it would stay as it was with the first 15 named.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote:
    **** it anyway it was 2.1 before the team was named. I thought it would stay as it was with the first 15 named.

Strong Dublin team named. Handicap is at -3.0. I haven't been this pessimistic about a Kerry teams chances in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Lively first half,both teams missed some great chances

Our lads seemed to come more into it as the first half went on,

I hope we drop back the extra man in the second half,give the full back line some protection

Philip O Connor gets his hands on the ball a lot,keeps it simple when he gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Our full back line was very exposed tonight, thought Beaglaoich could have done with a bit more help in the first half, Griffin looked all at sea a few times. Other then that a good enough run out against a strong Dublin side, albeit one in third gear. Tommy Walsh is a strong man, he needed a bit more help as he was surrounded by 3 men every time he came down with the ball

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

So, did yee win?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I'd like to see Donaghy & T.Walsh together for a period. Felt they should have tried this at the end of final last year. Dublin are prepared for the one big man having handled O'Shea and Donaghy last year.

Twin Towers who can score would ask an altogether different question, especially with Gooch sniffing around or delivering. May not provide a goal but it pins back Dub defenders.

It possibly commits 4 Dub defenders to 2 attackers. This leaves space outside for attackers who are well capable of scoring and also potentially reduces Dub overlaps on attack with either 1 less Dub or 1 more Kerry player involved in the middle of pitch on a turnover.

Has tactic been tried at all, in training even?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I thought that too watching the game, in fairness TW did well considering he was completely outnumbered every time he came to ground, Id say a few of the Dubs were happy enough to see him taken off. Put him and Donaghy inside and JOD and Geaney to feed off them would be almost impossible to mark. That is provided the ball going in is decent, there were a few wayward attempts tonight. Early days yet anyway, im sure Fitzmaurice doesnt want to reveal too much too early

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

wonga77 wrote:
    Id say a few of the Dubs were happy enough to see him taken off.
    He was used far more in the first half, thought he was quiet enough for a significant amount of time before he was substituted imo.

His score at the start of the second half was very good, and interesting enough it was one he chased into the corner a bit.

New year same problems.

Exposed through the middle. No CHB for most of the game. Have no idea what position Killian was meant to be playing.
    Mark Griffin is great with the play in front of him, but he turns like a ship and finds himself chasing his man towards goal far too often.

Positives were Brian O'Beaglaoich, Kealy and the crossbar.

On a side note, I hope Paddy Andrews and his goading of Kealy after full time comes back to bite him on the arse. Totally classless, and rediculous given it's January.

Our forwards were a shambles. SOB and DOS were very poor, though Darran did kick 3 points, his movement in the second half was shocking.

TW and BJK did about as good as you can expect with the disgraceful service they were provided with against an extra man.

Dubs fitter, faster, cleverer and stronger. More football in them as well. Only for Kealy, Moran and the crossbar we'd have lost by 20. Significant gap to close before September. Lots to work on for the lads.

Edit: Forgot to mention Paul Murphy. Great game. Kept Connolly to a goal from a penalty and a few runs to nothing. Shadowed him all game and played a good portion with a yellow card.

Anyone spot Donnacha Walsh's black card. I was expecting a Kerry free kick, as it looked on first viewing that the Dublin player came across him, but obviously it was the other way around. Right in front of the linesman and the referee was fair enough all game so I presume it was a good call.

DDC1990 wrote:
    Anyone spot Donnacha Walsh's black card. I was expecting a Kerry free kick, as it looked on first viewing that the Dublin player came across him, but obviously it was the other way around. Right in front of the linesman and the referee was fair enough all game so I presume it was a good call.

I was in front of it, as was the linesman. It was harsh, imo Dublin player was fairly wobbly by time he'd reached the ball as he'd been half fouled just before it, didn't think it was a black card.

I thought Young was very standoffish last night alright, as one stage he contested a ball with Brady and was completely sidestepped he made little effort to tackle, Brady is not the nippiest, most likely an early season or fitness issue? not up to his usual standard anyway

I think Andrew's and Kealy were at it for the game , Kealy made a great save from Andrew's in the first half

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I thought the exact same as yourself at the match, thought it was harsh, but watched it back and the ref was right. He pulled him down. Needlessly too.

I think at the heart of the problem for Kerry at the back is no one seems physically able to stop attackers breaking the tackle. Andrews waltzed through at will all night by virtue of his upper body strength. He did the same to Fionn Fitzgerald in the final a few months ago. Has to be addressed.

Yeah the ease at which Dublin attackers waltzed through the middle at will was infuriating.

If every ordinary Joe can see that Kerry are vulnerable through the middle then why is Fitzmaurice not looking to rectify it? The league is for trying systems out, but I saw nothing new last night.

A fast and physical presence is required at CHB in the mould of Cian O'Sullivan. But we clearly don't have that type of player.

Our forwards were shocking in terms of their movement, which leads to enormous amounts of pressure on our full back line due to the amount of attacks that we allowed Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

New year same problems.

Exposed through the middle. No CHB for most of the game. Have no idea what position Killian was meant to be playing.
    Mark Griffin is great with the play in front of him, but he turns like a ship and finds himself chasing his man towards goal far too often.

Positives were Brian O'Beaglaoich, Kealy and the crossbar.

On a side note, I hope Paddy Andrews and his goading of Kealy after full time comes back to bite him on the arse. Totally classless, and rediculous given it's January.

Our forwards were a shambles. SOB and DOS were very poor, though Darran did kick 3 points, his movement in the second half was shocking.

TW and BJK did about as good as you can expect with the disgraceful service they were provided with against an extra man.

Dubs fitter, faster, cleverer and stronger. More football in them as well. Only for Kealy, Moran and the crossbar we'd have lost by 20. Significant gap to close before September. Lots to work on for the lads.

Edit: Forgot to mention Paul Murphy. Great game. Kept Connolly to a goal from a penalty and a few runs to nothing. Shadowed him all game and played a good portion with a yellow card.

Watched it back on the telly and i thought they were just having a bit of a laugh with each other TBH. :confused::confused:

I saw the highlights of the game on TG4.

The very last clip is Andrews and Brian O Beaglaoich talking and shaking hands all good stuff, they both seemed respectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I think it was the other way round. Andrews approached to shake hands (smiling) before Kealy said something that Andrews didn't like.

corny wrote:
    I think it was the other way round. Andrews approached to shake hands (smiling) before Kealy said something that Andrews didn't like.

Could well be this. Though what Andrews was saying while he was smiling night have set Kealy off as well. I've never seen Andrews or Kealy to be like this, which is why it shocked me. But from where I was Andrews appeared to goad him and was dragged away. Now maybe Kealy told him to **** off first, but it didnt look pretty from where I was.
    Im sure this happens all the time and isn't seen but it seemed petty.

Hopefully it wasn't anything. But it annoyed me at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

For anyone whose interested, the All Ireland junior and intermediate club finals, involving Templenoe and St. Mary's Caherciveen will be broadcasted live from Croke Park on Irish TV, sky channel 191 from 2:30 pm on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,240 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

duchalla wrote: »
    For anyone whose interested, the All Ireland junior and intermediate club finals, involving Templenoe and St. Mary's Caherciveen will be broadcasted live from Croke Park on Irish TV, sky channel 191 from 2:30 pm on Saturday.

Great news.

Two Kerry teams v two Mayo teams, and broadcast by a Mayo based TV station.

I hope they are as biased towards Mayo as Weeshie will be towards Kerry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Great news.

Two Kerry teams v two Mayo teams, and broadcast by a Mayo based TV station.

I hope they are as biased towards Mayo as Weeshie will be towards Kerry :)

Sponsored by a Kerry company - FEXCO ;)

By the way was waaaaay off with the Kealey Andrews thing.

I've seen the incident on the TV and it was definitely friendly. I look like a bit of a fool now, but I have no problem saying that I read the situation all wrong.

The guy in the bib dragging Andrews away was prob just bringing him to the MOTM interview.

Probably to do with the mood I was in after the match clouding my view of the incident. It didn't look pretty but it was 100% friendly. I withdraw my classless accusation but I still hope we batter the Dubs in the Championship and shove all that kindness and friendly banter down his throat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

By the way was waaaaay off with the Kealey Andrews thing.

I've seen the incident on the TV and it was definitely friendly. I look like a bit of a fool now, but I have no problem saying that I read the situation all wrong.

The guy in the bib dragging Andrews away was prob just bringing him to the MOTM interview.

Probably to do with the mood I was in after the match clouding my view of the incident. It didn't look pretty but it was 100% friendly. I withdraw my classless accusation but I still hope we batter the Dubs in the Championship and shove all that kindness and friendly banter down his throat ;)

Good mawn.

It's getting fierce disconcerting all this friendliness. Can the AISF hurry up ffs.

Preview of this weekends game

Kerry take on Roscommon in Round 2 of the Allianz League

It may be only the second game in the competition but already Kerry’s Allianz Football League encounter with Roscommon in Killarney’s Fitzgerald Stadium on Sunday is being labelled as a must win game for the home-side.

This situation in the League is nothing new to Kerry in recent years however, and invariably, the unavailability of some of their regular players has been the major cause for poor starts to the League campaigns. Sunday is no different. The likelihood is that Aidan O’Mahony, an absentee last weekend due to an eye injury, will be the only addition to the match day squad named for the first two League games. Colm Cooper and Marc Ó Sé have both resumed training while Kieran Donaghy, on basketball duty for the past few weeks, will return next week. Kieran O’Leary, the Geaneys, Anthony Maher, Jack Sherwood and Peter Crowley are not due back until March while James O’Donoghue is expected to return in late April.

It’s all of thirteen years since Kerry and Roscommon have crossed swords in League action and Sunday’s encounter in the Stadium has a unique feeling about it. Like Kerry, Roscommon are also seeking a first win but there was a distinct difference in the manner of their defeats. Roscommon were regarded as unlucky to go down to Monaghan courtesy of a late goal while Kerry’s fate against Dublin had been sealed much earlier in the game. As already stated, it’s a must win game – for both sides - and for that reason alone there is bound to be a bit of bite to it. Expect a far hungrier Kerry side to take the field on Sunday. Throw-in is at 2pm with Fergal Kelly of Longford the referee.

After Sunday’s game there is a three week break before the League resumes on February 28th when Kerry are away to Down.

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/372146/Kerry_V_Roscommon_Round_2_of_the_Allianz_League

duchalla wrote:

Thats great. Hope to be there and travel down to Killarney feom Dublin the next morning. A lot of sport to pack in this weekend. 6 Nations, Club Finals, Kerry Roscommon then top it off with the Superbowl (understandably not everyones cup of tea, but im looking forward to it). Taken Monday off work as well so I can really enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Gonna have a guess at the team line up for Sunday

1. Brendan Kealy
    2. Brian Ó Beaglaoich
    3. Aidan O Mahoney
    4. Mark Griffin
    5. Paul Murphy
    6. Killian Young
    7. Jonathan Lyne
    8. David Moran
    9. Johnny Buckley
    10. Philip O’Connor
    11. Darran O’Sullivan
    12. Donnchadh Walsh
    13. Barry John Keane
    14. Tommy Walsh
    15. Stephen O’Brien

16. Brian Kelly
    17. Fionn Fitzgerald
    18. Shane Enright
    19. Pa Kilkenny
    20. Brendan O’Sullivan
    21. Podge O’Connor
    22. Gavin O’Grady
    23. Paul O’Sullivan
    24. Jamie O’Sullivan
    25. Tom O’Sullivan
    26. Conor Cox

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Gonna have a guess at the team line up for Sunday

1. Brendan Kealy
    2. Brian Ó Beaglaoich
    3. Aidan O Mahoney
    4. Mark Griffin
    5. Paul Murphy
    6. Killian Young
    7. Jonathan Lyne
    8. David Moran
    9. Johnny Buckley
    10. Philip O’Connor
    11. Darran O’Sullivan
    12. Donnchadh Walsh
    13. Barry John Keane
    14. Tommy Walsh
    15. Stephen O’Brien

16. Brian Kelly
    17. Fionn Fitzgerald
    18. Shane Enright
    19. Pa Kilkenny
    20. Brendan O’Sullivan
    21. Podge O’Connor
    22. Gavin O’Grady
    23. Paul O’Sullivan
    24. Jamie O’Sullivan
    25. Tom O’Sullivan
    26. Conor Cox

Can Griffin play corner back?

I would give him a go at centre back,hold the centre,do a Liam Flaherty on it,anyone that comes down the middle will try once and wont try again,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Marc O Se is back training AFAIK but haven't heard anything about Mahony being back yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement