Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

keane2097 wrote: »
    Marc O Se is back training AFAIK but haven't heard anything about Mahony being back yet

Met Mahony yesterday. He's training and good to go. Whether he's used is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I would give him a go at centre back,hold the centre,do a Liam Flaherty on it,anyone that comes down the middle will try once and wont try again,

Turns like a tanker. Would be exposed to runners from CHF. Would do fine on the likes of Aidan O'Shea out there IMO, but a clever CF would destroy him. Any of Dublin's HF's would have their way with him I fear.

Still in the league, why not try it and find out. Full Back isn't exactly helping his Intercounty prospects either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

The team, captained by Killian Young is as follows:

1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2. Brian Ó Beaglaoich An Ghaeltacht
    3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    6. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    7. Killian Young (C) Renard
    8. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    9. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    10. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    11. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    14. Tommy Walsh Kerins O’Rahillys
    15. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    Fir Ionaid:

16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    17. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
    18. Philip O’Connor Cordal
    19. Padraig O’Connor Killarney Legion
    20. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar
    21. Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory
    22. Brendan O’Sullivan Valentia
    23. Gavin O’Grady Glenbeigh-Glencar
    24. Conor Cox Listowel Emmets
    25. Tom O’Sullivan Dingle
    26. Barry O’Sullivan Dingle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Same As wrote: »
    The team, captained by Killian Young is as follows:

1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2. Brian Ó Beaglaoich An Ghaeltacht
    3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    6. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    7. Killian Young (C) Renard
    8. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    9. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    10. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    11. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    14. Tommy Walsh Kerins O’Rahillys
    15. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    Fir Ionaid:

16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    17. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
    18. Philip O’Connor Cordal
    19. Padraig O’Connor Killarney Legion
    20. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar
    21. Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory
    22. Brendan O’Sullivan Valentia
    23. Gavin O’Grady Glenbeigh-Glencar
    24. Conor Cox Listowel Emmets
    25. Tom O’Sullivan Dingle
    26. Barry O’Sullivan Dingle

Decent team,Defense bolstered by Mahoney's return,O Brien is a far more dangerous forward inside than on the wing.
    Off the bench i hope we see more of Brendan Sullivan,Podge & Phillip Connor and Alan Fitz,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Great to see Barry O'Sullivan involved.

• Advertisement

What about Templenoe lads!!! Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

dobman88 wrote: »
    What about Templenoe lads!!! Class.

I remember a few years back I got a right shock when they made the U21 Club County Final,

Now look at them they have gone up through the Divisions of the County League and are now in Division One this year and now are All Ireland Junior Champions

Congrats to them today a great win

Hopefully St Marys make it a double now.

Lively first half in the Intermediate Final

Some lovely scores from both sides

6 points each at half time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I remember a few years back I got a right shock when they made the U21 Club County Final,

Now look at them they have gone up through the Divisions of the County League and are now in Division One this year and now are All Ireland Junior Champions

Am I right in saying that Templenoe, All Ireland Junior Champions, are a Division 1 team and St. Mary's, All Ireland Intermediate Champions in waiting (4 points up with 15 to play), are a Division 2 team?!

Buer wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that Templenoe, All Ireland Junior Champions, are a Division 1 team and St. Mary's, All Ireland Intermediate Champions in waiting (4 points up with 15 to play), are a Division 2 team?!

Ya,its sounds crazy

St Marys are Division 2 and lost out in a play off to go up to Division One last year

Templenoe were for years down in Division 4/5 of the County League and now are a Division One team for 2016

• Advertisement

St Marys win 2-10 to 0-10

Kerry do the double again this year,

St Marys second All Ireland Club win

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

If Templenoe can keep the current squad together then I think they can definetely win a county intermediate in the near future

Fantastic stuff in Croke Park. Templenoe were a pleasure to watch. Like watching old Kerry football or the Kerry Minors last year.

Performance of the day goes to either O'Sullivan from Templenoe or Curran from Mary's. Any idea how old they are? Potential Kerry Seniors?

O Sullivan looks young enough anyway. Id say Brian Curran must be 28/29 at this stage, in and out of the sth kerry setup for a few years, not sure if hes ever got a run of games with them. Marys backs played really well in fairness, Liam Sheehan and Conor Shea were excellent too

wonga77 wrote:
    O Sullivan looks young enough anyway. Id say Brian Curran must be 28/29 at this stage, in and out of the sth kerry setup for a few years, not sure if hes ever got a run of games with them. Marys backs played really well in fairness, Liam Sheehan and Conor Shea were excellent too

Such a pity. He was tremendous at full back. He was marking a Mayo Senior in Darren Cohen and destroyed him. Cohen got one great score off him in the second half but he didn't get a sniff otherwise.

Mary's full back line kept them in the game up to half time to be honest. They were extremely frustrating with the ball up, though clearly they were up against much stronger opposition than Templenoe. Bryan Sheehan was that touch of class that they needed and kicked some beautiful scores.

Templenoe and Ardnaree played great honest football. Even when subs came on, lads shook hands instead of belting each other with shoulders. It was the most enjoyable football match i've watched in a longtime. The 3 Spillane's that started (John, Adrian and Killian) had great games. Killian is destined for the Kerry seniors. He has it all and though he was playing a distributing role mainly, he score some beauties himself as well.

Hopefully the Seniors channel the club sides and go out and give a good account of themselves today.

wonga77 wrote: »
    If Templenoe can keep the current squad together then I think they can definetely win a county intermediate in the near future

Speaking of the Intermediate Championship,this years has to be one of the strongest in years

St Michael's Foilmore V Skellig Rangers

John Mitchel's V Spa

Brosna V Castleisland Desmond's

Currow V Waterville

Gneeveguilla V Kenmare

Laune Rangers V An Ghaeltacht

Ardfert V St Mary's

Glenflesk V Templenoe

Very tough to call, hard to imagine that the Marys will be up for it again. Re Templenoe its hard to beat momentum. I know Dromid almost went to an intermediate final the year after winning the junior, only lost to Spa by a point in the semi final. Templenoe now have the experience and plenty of ability to go close this year. Otherwise Mitchels/Spa should be a great game, id expect the winners of that to go far too.
    Junior is very competitive too, theres some strong teams there again and you would think that the winners of the county will be hopeful of going all the way to Croker as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Chiarrai_abu

Fair play to the Marys and Templenoe. Mighty result from both teams. They did the whole county proud. Its concerning that only 1 of the Templenoe team is based in Templenoe now per Kerry Radio. Anyway well done to both teams

Anyone care to try and explain what that was???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Chiarrai_abu

Remember 2009 and been beaten in the league by Longford... Wet miserable day like today. Tadhg Kenelley asked why he left Australia for that.. Kerry won Sam that year

• Advertisement

Why don't Marys move up to senior after winning intermediate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

Remember 2009 and been beaten in the league by Longford... Wet miserable day like today. Tadhg Kenelley asked why he left Australia for that.. Kerry won Sam that year

Longford beat Kerry in 2004. Jack O'Connor first league game.

In other news

Kerry hurling legend Christy Walsh has trained Bennettsbridge to back to back All Irelands,followed up the Junior win from last year to win the Intermediate Club All Ireland today.

Cody watch out :)

Not back in Dublin yet but needless to say extremely pissed off with that ****e.

A few players need to take a long look at themselves this evening and think about whether Intercounty football is for them. Disturbing lack of effort from a few lads.

Disgusted. We didn't want it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Taking advantage of Super Bowl halftime to go on a bit of a rant here!

Half-serious about the rant part, even though it's February, there has been some difficult viewing for Kerry fans in the last 2 games. Despite frustration at times, we have to take into account that the squad have very little training done. They had their holiday after Xmas and only returned in the first week of January. Some individual players have done very little since last September probably apart from a bit of maintenance themselves.

With all that in mind, still should be better than what we had to watch today. - BJK missing frees that should be routine is one thing that immediately comes to mind as being inexcusable.
    - David Moran over the last year has again mixed the sublime with the ridiculous. At one stage today he took a quick free that ended up looking like a garryowen. He tries to kick long way too much, expecially in rough conditions like today, where (IMO) outside of the foot long balls are a last resort.
    -Donnacha Walsh missed a chance in front of the goals today with an effort that shouldn't be happening at any time of year.
    -Shane Enright is still on a beach in Miami mentally and has spent large parts of the last 2 games on the ground. (To be fair to him, he's after a brilliant 2015, got zero protection from further out the field -especially against Dublin - and has no work done at all.) Would question if he should be playing at the moment really, but needs to get going now either way.
    - Stephen O'Brien is way too predictable in his movement and hasn't evolved his game the way I thought he might. On the surface of it he may look to have had an ok game today scoring 1-1 from play, but the reality is that he got away with putting his head down and taking a lot of steps for the goal. He continually takes horrible shots off his left foot aswell. Needs to be coached more or I don't think he'll cut it against the top teams. The Tyrone game last year was a good performance by him, but that aside he needs to be a lot smarter IMO.

Could go on, but enough for now. On the wider squad, I have to question a few things.
    Was great for Barry O'Sullivan to make his debut and all, but I don't see the logic in bringing him all the way down from Dublin to get brought on with 8 mins to go, mainly because he played a tough Sigerson Cup game on Wednesday AND has a big 1/4 final which will involve travelling down to Cork next Thursday. Thats 3 high-level games in 8 days, involving 4 hours+ journeys each time. On top of that, the young fella is doing a fairly serious course in UCD, is still under 21 and is unlikely I would think to see much game time with the Seniors this year. Felt needless to me, despite the bright future we all hope he has.
    Tom O'Sullivan came on half forward, he is a back for starters. Has done very well at 4 and 7 for the minors and Dingle at Schools level. Again, hopefully he has a bright future and will be a part of the under 21 team this year. However, this is a guy who is nowhere near Senior level just yet. He wasn't even in the u21 squad last year and now he is being thrown in at Senior level. I don't agree with it and question the logic. He was out of his depth today unsurprisingly, I just hope it doesn't effect the young fella's confidence cos he is a decent player.
    Conor Cox has been brought back into the panel deservedly IMO after a 2 year absence. I can only hope that he gets more than the derisory last 5-minutes or so he got in Croker and again today. Fairly pointless if you are looking to see anything in a player in the last few mins of these games. I hope he gets a start or 2 post-Sigerson so a real judgement can be made.

Again, it's early days and easy to throw criticism during the league but I wouldn't be overly happy with the Kerry management structure and how it has evolved. Losing Cian O'Neill was a big blow anyway, but I don't consider his replacement to be at the level required. There is also now 3 men with heavy Dingle connections in the management team and it feels a bit clique-ish compared to recent setups.

Now that I've typed and reviewed what I typed it looks very ranty, but f*ck it I'm not deleting it now!
    To throw in a couple of positives, I think Brian Begley is showing that he could be a fixture for Kerry teams for years to come. This guy has it.
    Also, there are signs, little signs - that Tommy may be getting somewhere near the level he was at post-Oz. 1 beautiful point he kicked today made my mind wander ahead. Work to do yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Don't think that's too ranty tbqh - you can point at poor conditions & a referee who must have been a former rugby league official given his propensity to allow 6-8 steps go unpenalized, but what it comes down to is this - Kerry were 2nd best, at home, to inferior opposition.

Agree on Begely - has it, reads the game very well, does all the basics very well - lovely to watch a young fella at this level, being this solid. Other positive was Johnny Buckley who hardly put a foot wrong at midfield, even though 8 for Roscommon Enda Smith (?) was Roscommons best player, powerful player.

Said at half time, Tommy Walsh may as well have continued jogging off the pitch and back to Tralee for himself - the only thing worse than his individual performance was the ball going into him. Actually - the entire middle 8 should be reprimanded for slowing the ball going in with the wind. Time after time after time again they refused to put the ball into space, took another sideways handpass, before kicking the ball directly to a Roscommon player. It was infuriating to watch as somebody who plays in the forwards - Roscommon flooded back and looked to carry into the breeze - like any team would - when they had the wind they got the ball and flaked in diagonal ball constantly. Now - their execution was poor at times but there were a number of occasions where they got Kerry backs isolated and created dangerous situations by putting the ball into space for a forward to get onto it. Kerry for my mind, didn't do this once.

BJK - kicked a ball short from 20 yards (with a gale behind him) when a pass was on inside then a minute later misses what was essentially a tap over of a free for a player of his quality. It summed up the performance - not clued in enough, didn't want it as much as Roscommon, headless throughout the field.

Well done to Roscommon - fully deserving of their victory.

The county board have reconstructed the senior/intermediate/junior and novice championships meaning that whoever won the intermediate last year couldnt go up to senior this year

They were trying to reduce the number of clubs in the Senior Championship so there was no promotion for St Marys,

Three clubs came down last year,Ardfert,St Michaels and Laune Rangers

The 2016 Intermediate champions will be promoted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Conor Cox has been brought back into the panel deservedly IMO after a 2 year absence. I can only hope that he gets more than the derisory last 5-minutes or so he got in Croker and again today. Fairly pointless if you are looking to see anything in a player in the last few mins of these games. I hope he gets a start or 2 post-Sigerson so a real judgement can be made.

Again, it's early days and easy to throw criticism during the league but I wouldn't be overly happy with the Kerry management structure and how it has evolved. Losing Cian O'Neill was a big blow anyway, but I don't consider his replacement to be at the level required. There is also now 3 men with heavy Dingle connections in the management team and it feels a bit clique-ish compared to recent setups.

Now that I've typed and reviewed what I typed it looks very ranty, but f*ck it I'm not deleting it now!
    To throw in a couple of positives, I think Brian Begley is showing that he could be a fixture for Kerry teams for years to come. This guy has it.
    Also, there are signs, little signs - that Tommy may be getting somewhere near the level he was at post-Oz. 1 beautiful point he kicked today made my mind wander ahead. Work to do yet though.

Would agree with a lot of that - However for the record Cox did come on in the 57th minute, so it was a bit more than just 5 minutes - However I'd agree with the central point - the form BJK was in yesterday he could have been taken off much earlier for Cox. However when Cox did come on there was a free or sideline ball over by the dressing room corner that I felt he should have taken on.

Sideline did not impress at all yesterday -

Donnchadh was very lucky only to get a yellow (especially since he got a black in the Dublin game) and the steps for the goal were ridiculous - O'Brien was being fouled but the ref didnt signal advantage that I saw so

In terms of other positives - besides Buckley and Begley
    I thought Kelly in goal did very well on his kickouts in woeful conditions - he pinged some lovely ones to free Kerry players on a number of occasions.
    Darran looked livelyish as well which I think bodes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    In terms of other positives - besides Buckley and Begley
    I thought Kelly in goal did very well on his kickouts in woeful conditions - he pinged some lovely ones to free Kerry players on a number of occasions.
    Darran looked livelyish as well which I think bodes well.

You're spot on about Kelly & Clares kickouts in the 2nd half showed just how well he did kicking into the wind, plus some nicely placed to the wings in the 2nd half

As you mention Darran & frees - who the fúck let him take the free near the dressing room - I assume that's the one you think Cox should have taken? Darran is not known for his amazing free taking so thought it was bizarre at the time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement