Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

D'Agger wrote: »
    As you mention Darran & frees - who the fúck let him take the free near the dressing room - I assume that's the one you think Cox should have taken? Darran is not known for his amazing free taking so thought it was bizarre at the time

Yup - that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Boom__Boom wrote:
    In terms of other positives - besides Buckley

Just a quick question, do you think Buckley has the engine for a full shift at midfield, I've noted him fading in a few games of consequence, just wondering if it's accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

St Marys win 2-10 to 0-10

Kerry do the double again this year,

St Marys second All Ireland Club win
    Interesting tidbit on St. Marys build up to their AI championship win. They played a challenge against Crossmaglen were beaten 2 points and a game against Ballyboden were beaten by a point, all things considered that's a good yardstick to the potential of that St. Marys team

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Interesting tidbit on St. Marys build up to their AI championship win. They played a challenge against Crossmaglen were beaten 2 points and a game against Ballyboden were beaten by a point, all things considered that's a good yardstick to the potential of that St. Marys team

I think the midfielder Denis Daly is in with Kerry training,

Hopefully Eammon Fitzmaurice will take a look at a few more players

Brian Curran should be looked at as well,he may be late 20's but look at Brian Cody last year he gave a debut to Shane Prendergast at corner back who was 29 years of age,Kerry need options at the back and it would be no harm to have him in training anyway

Paul O Donoghue is another player who should be looked at,he is a tidy footballer that can kick a point from distance,he kicked two great scores the last day.

Tadhg Morley of Templenoe will surely be called in as well,another option for the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Conor52

Stoner wrote: »
    Just a quick question, do you think Buckley has the engine for a full shift at midfield, I've noted him fading in a few games of consequence, just wondering if it's accurate?

He definitely doesn't have the engine for 70 mins. He has improved though in the last few years. I remember a few years back for Dr. Crokes in the club championship, he would be brilliant for a half and go completely missing in the 2nd. I think 60 minutes is the most you would get out of him at full fitness.

But in some ways i think he typifies some of the problems Kerry have at the moment. We lack pace particularly in midfield and half forward line. When teams run at us hard from these positions we struggle.

Kerry's way to try and deal with this is push up in midfield and try dominate possession but when this fails we become very open and our full back line comes under huge pressure.

That combined with a blunt forward line at the moment is why we are struggling (Hopefully that will improve with the return of Jod, gooch, geaney etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

I think the midfielder Denis Daly is in with Kerry training,

Hopefully Eammon Fitzmaurice will take a look at a few more players

Brian Curran should be looked at as well,he may be late 20's but look at Brian Cody last year he gave a debut to Shane Prendergast at corner back who was 29 years of age,Kerry need options at the back and it would be no harm to have him in training anyway

Paul O Donoghue is another player who should be looked at,he is a tidy footballer that can kick a point from distance,he kicked two great scores the last day.

Tadhg Morley of Templenoe will surely be called in as well,another option for the defence.

Denis Daly i imagine will be played in the backs for Kerry but can also operate around the middle or indeed up front,Aidan Walsh will also be brought in and i'd like Paul O Donoghue to get a look but he has been in before with them so i'm not sure will he get another call.

Gavin Crowley & Morley will definitely be brought in but id wouldn't surprise me if Adrian Spillane and Brian Crowley were looked at also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Paul O Donoghue was with kerry for a year or two not that long ago and to be honest it didnt do him any good. He wasnt allowed play with St Marys and only got a handful of minutes in the national league for kerry. Apart from a few apperances with sth kerry and the south kerry championship he played very little football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Need to be realistic without being harsh lads. Some of the names thrown out there have been found wanting at higher level before.

Denis Daly is one guy who has performed very well at county championship, Sigerson and under 21 level though so he really should be brought in. Has the pace and power anyway. Versatile too.

Gavin Crowley would be the one from Templenoe I'd most like to see more of. Has impressed me a lot any time I've seen him. Killian Spillane has been training with Senior panel already so no need to be worrying about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

From Templenoe, Adrian Spillane, Killian Spillane and Stephen O'Sullivan should be looked at.

Both Wing Backs looked impressive as well.

Not sure about the Mary's contingent. Full Back was brilliant, but haven't heard much about him previously. Daly was impressive but being beside Sheehan helps significantly.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    From Templenoe, Adrian Spillane, Killian Spillane and Stephen O'Sullivan should be looked at.

Both Wing Backs looked impressive as well.

Not sure about the Mary's contingent. Full Back was brilliant, but haven't heard much about him previously. Daly was impressive but being beside Sheehan helps significantly.

Way OTT IMO lad.
    Adrian Spillane couldn't get a start for UCC Sigerson team or the Kerry u21s last year. Fine player, maybe with more game time at Senior c/ship level with Kenmare he WILL merit a look..but not right now.
    Stephen O'Sullivan was a sub for the Kerry minors last year and you're saying you want him looked at for the Seniors now? Steady on.
    Killian Spillane will play u21 this year and we'll go from there then. Hopefully he'll be in the Senior shake up sooner rather than later.

The Templenoe wing back Clifford did look good actually. Serious pace about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Only thing that has me thinking Killian Spillane won't make it is that he takes an eternity to get his shots off - has a laid back stye & he's a very good player, but I'm fairly certain he was blocked down twice in the final the other day - think he'd get less time at senior inter county but hope I'm wrong about that

The wing back ye're discussing - no.5 yeah? Thought he got up & down the pitch very well for Templenoe

Barry O'Sullivan taken off with a hamstring injury in the first half of the UCD game today. Maybe it would have happened regardless..but it certainly wasn't helped by the journey to Killarney and back on Sunday for 9 mins of action. :rolleyes: He was having a good battle with Ian Maguire before the injury, so was a pity he went off. Jack Barry from Na Gaeil replaced him.
    Barry must be a doubt for the semi-final in 9 days now.

Conor Cox had a good game for UCC, being marked by Michael Fitzsimons.
    Jack McGuire was troubled by Paul Mannion in 1st half but in fairness came into the game well in the second half and only conceded 1 point from play overall.
    Jordan Kiely was lively but was outmuscled a bit. Surprised he's starting for UCC as he's a bit young yet.

Good few Kerry lads on the UL team that had a great win over Queens. Cathal Long, Eamonn Kiely and Patrick O'Connor were the all-Kerry fullback line.
    Denis Daly was centre back. Bryan O'Shea from Crokes scored the winning point. They play UCD in the semi next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Anyone with a low down on the hurlers clash with laois tomorrow ,I presume this game will fore tell their standing in the hierarchy of hurling for the foreseable

Big game tomorrow for our hurlers,up against Laois in the first round of HNL 1B

A game both teams will have targeted as a great opportunity to get points on board

The team captained by Daniel Collins of Kilmoyley lines out as follows:
    1 Martin Stackpoole Lixnaw
    2 Sean Weir Crotta O’Neills
    3 Bryan Murphy Causeway
    4 Keith Carmody Causeway
    5 Daniel Collins (C) Kilmoyley
    6 Darren Dineen St Brendans
    7 Tom Murnane Kilmoyley
    8 Patrick Kelly Clarecastle
    9 Tommy Casey Causeway
    10 Shane Nolan Crotta O’Neills
    11 Michael O’Leary Abbeydorney
    12 Colum Harty Causeway
    13 John Egan St Brendans
    14 Mikey Boyle Ballyduff
    15 Jack Goulding Ballyduff
    Fir Ionaid:
    16 Aidan McCabe Kilmoyley
    17 Brendan Brosnan Lixnaw
    18 John Buckley Lixnaw
    19 Mike Milner Dr Crokes
    20 Jordan Conway Crotta O’Neills
    21 Jason Diggins Causeway
    22 Dougie Fitzelle Kilmoyley
    23 John Griffin Lixnaw
    24 Philip Lucid Ballyheigue
    25 James O’Connor Abbeydorney
    26 Brendan O’Leary Abbeydorney
    Bainistíocht:
    Bainisteoir: Ciaran Carey (Patrickswell)
    Coach/Selector: Mark Foley (Adare)
    Treanálaí: Damien Ryall (Abbeydorney)
    Róghnoirí: James McCarthy (Kilmoyley), Michael Conway (Lixnaw)

Look at this and tell me can you spot where the lads at the Examiner made a mistake,

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/predictions-who-will-come-out-on-top-in-division-1b-381409.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,240 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Look at this and tell me can you spot where the lads at the Examiner made a mistake,

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/predictions-who-will-come-out-on-top-in-division-1b-381409.html

Shocking bad editing that that was not spotted.
    Or did the editor also think he was the same guy ?

Shocking bad editing that that was not spotted.
    Or did the editor also think he was the same guy ?

I suppose they saw Crokes had a player on the panel

Put the thinking hats on and came up with that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ah lads! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I suppose they saw Crokes had a player on the panel

Put the thinking hats on and came up with that

Did no-one think it strange when they were looking at pictures of Johnny Buckley and 100% of them had him playing football ?

Also poor Mike Milner - someone has to tell him that the story about Kerry playing in Division 1B was illustrated with a picture of a Crokes players and then show him it's Johnny in the picture :)

Bright start by the hurlers

Up 1-5 to 5pts

Mikey Boyle with the goal.

• Advertisement

Half time

Kerry up by a point

1-11 to 1-10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Half time

Kerry up by a point

1-11 to 1-10

Certainly you'd imagine they've targeted today for two points since the Antrim game. 1-11 is brilliant scoring for 35 minutes - Munster league really standing to them.

Kerry on the front foot now: 1-16 to 1-11 after 46 min.

1-21 to 1-12 after 59' - as long as they don't concede a goal, they should be safe enough!

Goal for Laois

1-23 to 2-13 now

Be great if RTE or TG4 show highlights of this

1-24 to 2-14 now

All over finished 1-24 to 2-13

Great result and two important points on board

Great start.

Be great if RTE or TG4 show highlights of this

I think both do highlights programmes, so will surely cover 1B. Excellent result - halfway to staying in the division, and should have a good chance against Offaly also.

• Advertisement

I think both do highlights programmes, so will surely cover 1B. Excellent result - halfway to staying in the division, and should have a good chance against Offaly also.

Ya we should be well able for Offaly,we gave them a great run for it two seasons ago but the legs went in the second half as we were playing a week after beating Carlow in the 2A final

Watching Wexford last night,they improved in the second half against Limerick but I think our lads will give them a game of it in Tralee

Double header that day with the footballers that day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement