Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

wonga77 wrote: »
    Sometimes the actions of some of our players is cringeworthy(not just yesterday either), i hate this goading to get a player to hit you nonsense.
    Dont think I ever saw D Walsh lose his temper before

Mahony is forever at it among other things, as I said elsewhere yesterday he must be the most under-red-carded player in the history of the GAA. He's even worse in club matches which is an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

when teams had a go at us in the past, Kerry were "soft", and "couldnt hack the rough stuff".

now when the team is able to stand up for itself and fights fire with fire, we are thugs. it really is amazing how gullible people are to northern football.

the hypocrisy is halarious.

and the "performance" of the Donegal sideline yesterday was a disgrace to the game, they acted like a bunch of animals.

I dont think anyone thinks we're soft anymore. Mahony for one annoys me, constantly looking to show his strength and have a belt off fellas, then shouting into peoples face and goading them looking for a reaction. Then as soon as he gets touched - down in a heap like he's been shot, I thought he would have learnt his lesson from the Donnacha O Connor incident a few years back.
    Ive no problem fighting fire with fire, but id prefer it to be done the way Peter Crowley does it for example, bang a fella with a fair shoulder and put him back on his arse and get on with the game.

As for the Donegal sideline there will be nothing done about that, unless the lineman makes an issue of it and the ref includes it in his report which is doubtful id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

wonga77 wrote:
    I'd prefer it to be done the way Peter Crowley does it for example, bang a fella with a fair shoulder and put him back on his arse and get on with the game.
    Great example, our McCarthy is the same, manages to have a reputation for hard tackling. They can both intimidate the opposition without being mouthy yet they both have teammates that rely on the dark arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Disappointing day out for the hurlers yesterday,Wexford gave them a lesson about life in 1B,you cannot afford to make so many mistakes and bad decisions and expect to be winning or at least be competitive,

Took the ball too much into the tackle which was always to suit a more physical Wexford team,got caught for over carrying too many times in the first half and the first touch was away off,the ball has to be moved a lot faster,

Another tough day out in Clare next week but the Offaly game in two weeks is the one to peak for,that's the one the lads have to focus on now, its going to be a mini league final for the two teams,whoever wins stays in 1B for another season,the loser has to play the relegation play off against Laois who put up a decent score against Clare at the weekend,its now up to Ciaran Carey and his team to restore the belief in the lads in the weeks ahead,

As for the football,I enjoyed it,I think Donegal thought our lads wouldn't like it if they got a bit rough but fair play to the lads they gave as good as they
    got and came out on top in the end,two valuable points ahead of two tough games in Mayo and Monaghan be great to pick up another win in one of those games.

Kerry V Tipperary – EirGrid Munster Under 21 Championship Round 1
    The Kerry Team to play Tipperary in the EirGrid Munster GAA Under 21 Football Championship Round 1 at Austin Stack Park on Wednesday evening at 7:30 contains just 4 of the side defeated by Cork in last year’s Round 1 game – Brian Ó Beagaloich, Cathal Ó Lúing, Micheál Burns and Jack Savage. Two more, Greg Horan and Eánna Ó Conchúir were introduced as subs in that game.

Nine of the side won All Ireland Minor Medal in either 2014 or 2015 are included.
    The team, captained by Jack Savage of Kerins O’Rahillys is as follows:
    1. Eoghan O’Brien Churchill
    2. Brian Ó Beaglaoich An Ghaeltacht
    3. Cathal Ó Lúing An Ghaeltacht
    4. Tom O’Sullivan Dingle
    5. Brian Sugrue Renard
    6. Andrew Barry Na Gael
    7. Gavin White Dr Crokes
    8. Matthew O’Sullivan St Michaels-Foilmore
    9. Greg Horan Austin Stacks
    10. Brandon Barrett Ardfert
    11. Micheál Burns Dr Crokes
    12. Brian Ó Seanacháin Ballydonoghue
    13. Tony Brosnan Dr Crokes
    14. Eanna Ó Conchúir An Ghaeltacht
    15. Jack Savage (C) Kerins O’Rahillys

Fir Ionaid
    16. Darragh O’Shea Ballydonoghue
    17. Dara Roche Glenflesk
    18. Killian Spillane Templenoe
    19. Dan O’Donoghue Spa
    20. Barry O’Sullivan Dingle
    21. Jason Foley Ballydonoghue
    22. Conor Geaney Dingle
    23. Tom (Leo) O’Sullivan Dingle

24. Jordan Kiely Dr Crokes
    25. David Foran St Senans

Bainistíocht:
    Bainisteoir: Jack O’Connor (Dromid Pearses)
    Roghnoirí: Micheál O’Shea (Castlegregory), Eamon Whelan (St Senans), Declan O’Sullivan (Dromid Pearses).
    Treanálaí: Alan O’Sullivan and Arthur Fitzgerald

Additional Information:
    Among the players unavailable due to injury are the likes of captain Cormac Coffey, Shane Ryan, Liam Carey, Liam Kearney and Marc O’Connor, Rob O'Se

The game will mark the first fixture under the new floodlighting system in Austin Stack Park. Kerry have gone seven campaigns without adding to their haul of 25 titles, their last title at Under 21 level in the province coming in 2008 when they went on to All Ireland glory under the captaincy of Killian Young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Watched the game back there. Mark Griffin was mighty, had a great game on Michael Murphy apart from the goal.

O'Mahoney had a great game, outside of the antics.

The cameras missed a lot of what went on.

Donaghy's basketball experience helps him in our new zone defense system. He covered an amount of space and left nothing through the middle.

He's playing Maher's role extremely well.

Daly looked good while he was on. Won a good few balls.

Murphy is vital to keeping our defense solid. Had another good game.

Poor football, with good flashes thrown in.

Another big performance needed next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Poor football, with good flashes thrown in.

considering the appaling weather, you are doing a massive injustice to the players here.

considering the appaling weather, you are doing a massive injustice to the players here.

Maybe so, but it wasn't pretty whatever about the conditions. McBrearty's point was sublime I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Was driving monday night so listened to radio sports programmes-Terrace talk on radio kerry saw all incidents in sundays match as being Donegals fault ie.they bullied and goaded Kerry into physical retaliation. Off the ball on NEWSTALK interviewed Brendan Devenney ,ex Donegal footballer,who saw Kerry goading and bullying Donegal and causedDFonegal to react.Nothing like a bit of bias !!

If ever there was a case of "they were all at it" this was it.

Saying incident X or player Y 'started it' is baby stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,240 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Was driving monday night so listened to radio sports programmes-Terrace talk on radio kerry saw all incidents in sundays match as being Donegals fault ie.they bullied and goaded Kerry into physical retaliation. Off the ball on NEWSTALK interviewed Brendan Devenney ,ex Donegal footballer,who saw Kerry goading and bullying Donegal and causedDFonegal to react.Nothing like a bit of bias !!

I'd say Terrace Talk was radio gold last night, especially Weeshie trying to read out the texts.
    Its usually available on podcast by Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

keane2097 wrote: »
    If ever there was a case of "they were all at it" this was it.

Saying incident X or player Y 'started it' is baby stuff.

Great craic for a neutral though. My head is melted trying to figure out whose side I am on. :rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0308/773321-donegal-and-kerry-set-for-punishment/

Just a short article saying that both teams look likely to be punished in some description, the article says It is believed that Donegal's Neil McGee could be expected to explain the incident which led to Kerry's Alan Fitzgerald striking him
    It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when thats being explained :pac:

Not sure how they go about punishing both teams or players, outside of the fitz red card there wasnt anything majorly filthy about the game. It was cynical and hard to watch, plenty of pulling and dragging, fellas pushing each other and puffing their chest out, but no fist fights or kicks or anything, unless there is other evidence out there

edit ; just to add not sure if the ref would have included verbal abuse from the sidelines in his report, if he did then people could be in trouble alright

wonga77 wrote:
    Just a short article..

Good. Hopefully they hand out bans for those who committed Red Card offenses, and stick to them. The Gaa need to stop rolling over and actually follow through on ban. Problem is they will ban now and roll over come the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

On Sunday's game - awful amount of acting the b*llox going on by both sides really. It was quite obvious though that Donegal were looking to lay down a marker more so than actually win the game. That being said, our lads were more than happy to get involved in the "exchanges" aswell.

The major disciplinary incidents of note during the game I saw as follows:
    Neil McGee should get a good long suspension for what he did. He's a good, strong player but he's let himself own badly with that carry on and should pay the price. From a live viewing of it, hard to blame the officials for sending Fitzgerald off as they saw him strike McGee. The thing about what McGee did is that it's hard to spot unless you're eagle-eyed, which of course, the majority of umpires are not. The wider issue here of course is that the GAA really should have nothing but qualified referees as officials for big championship games. There's too much at stake to have the uncle, brother, mates of a referee on the field officiating at a championship game. It's ludicrous.

Donaghy throwing Murphy down by the neck and McBrearty doing the same to O'Mahony, I would love to see red cards given for. Sick of that sort of sh*te going on...BUT it has to be said the GAA had a golden chance to eliminate a lot of these instances with the introduction of the 30m penalty for any delaying of a free and they failed to implement it. Michael Murphy knew well what he was doing holding onto the ball for the 1st incident. Murphy is a great player but he gets involved in a lot of that stuff.
    Look at Aussie Rules..a FAR more niggly and physical game than Gaelic, where there is a 50m penalty for any of that sort of nonsense (standing in front of a quick free, holding onto the ball too long etc) and players get pilloried for transgressions. IMO we badly need the 30m penalty in our game and it will cut out a lot of the nonsense going on. Even with the 13m penalty on Sunday Donegal handed Bryan Sheehan several points.

Donaghy put in a very reckless high hit on Ryan McHugh in the 1st half. I know he's way bigger than McHugh but it was still reckless and given the earlier incident, he was lucky to not get red.

Leo McLoone was hitting everything that moved from minute 1 and was always going to get into trouble. I fail to see what that sort of attitude achieves for him or his team. His reckless high tackle on Paul Murphy and his swinging arms in the incident after McBrearty dragged Mahony down, alone leave him no cause for complaint but he also threw a few sly digs in the schemozzle that Donaghy/Michael Murphy started.

Daly and Enright can't complain too much about the black cards, although Enright had Michael Murphy's knees coming down on top of him..I'd be inclined to put up my hands too were that happening!

As for the football..there was some good stuff at times. Kerry put together some nice moves in difficult enough conditions. Thought Mark Griffin and Podge O'Connor had great games in defence which is good to see. Sheehan was probably the dominant figure in the middle. Darran and Donnacha were the pick of the forwards for me. Darran put in a massive shift and won a few turnovers all on his own. Would like to have seen more of Denis Daly as I think he's a guy who may have what it takes at this level.

Onto Castlebar with the pressure slightly off. No doubt Mayo game could be equally as intense.

Under 21 team has a few surprises to me. Darragh O'Shea gets a fierce raw deal. Think he should have been in goals last year (given Ryan wasn't 100%) and on the bench again now. Killian Spillane may have missed a lot of preparation due to Templenoe's run, but I'd expect him to start come the business end. First choice midfield of Barry O'Sullivan and Mark O'Connor both out, but Greg Horan is a good player and probably would start somewhere anyway.
    Overall it's a strong enough team with some good impact off the bench considering all the absentees. Haven't won a game in this competition since 2012 so badly need a result Wednesday night.

Edit: Apparently Kerry and Donegal fined €7500 each and Neil McGee suspended for 1 match. Whatever about the fine, McGee should have got a 3 match ban for his troubles IMO.

Edit: Apparently Kerry and Donegal fined €7500 each and Neil McGee suspended for 1 match. Whatever about the fine, McGee should have got a 3 match ban for his troubles IMO.

Seems fair enough to me. Presume Alan Fitz and McLoone will end up with 1 match bans also?

A few other lads from both sides will ve relieved that the cameras missed a lot of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Seems fair enough to me. Presume Alan Fitz and McLoone will end up with 1 match bans also?

A few other lads from both sides will ve relieved that the cameras missed a lot of what happened.

Automatic 1 match ban for straight reds afaik yes.

here is the full article -

THE CENTRAL COMPETITIONS CONTROLS COMMITTEE (CCCC) have come down heavy on Donegal and Kerry following the ugly scenes that marred the first half of Sunday’s Allianz Football League clash in Tralee.
    The two counties have each been hit with fines of €7,500 while Donegal full-back Neil McGee has been given a one-game ban.
    McGee was involved in an incident in the seventh minute that led to Alan Fitzgerald being red carded.
    Fitzgerald was sent off after striking McGee, who was shown on TV replays to have pulled the hand of Fitzgerald in an aggressive manner.
    Having reviewed the footage of the incident, disciplinary chiefs have slapped McGee with a retrospective one-match ban having found him guilty of a category 3 infraction.
    The Gaoth Dobhair man is now set to miss Sunday’s game against Roscommon at O’Donnell Park. No Kerry player has been cited for sanction.

Dont think either side can complain about the 7.5k though i doubt that will do any good really, its not as if the players are directly affected by fines. I think they missed a chance to make an example of Mcgee, they are effectively saying, yeah we looked at the incident, it warrants a one match ban. Surely trying to snap someones fingers is deserving of a more serious punishment? On saying that the last few years have proved that suspensions are a farce as most can get out of them afterwards anyway with a good excuse.

I watched it on tv but have since talked to a good few people (people who's opinions I would trust) and they all said that the off the ball stuff was shocking, both teams at it from word go, the cameras only followed the ball and that looked bad enough as it was

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

It would never hold up to challenge in the GAA but if i had my way i'd rescind Fitzgeralds red card and give McGee a much longer holiday. I remember Paul O' Connell fighting Jamie Cudmore a while back. "I have to defend myself" was his, legitimate imo, defence. Fitzgerald was in the same boat.

While i was at it i'd make AOM and Donaghy pay the Kerry fine and Leo McLoone pay the Donegal fine. That'd sort them out.

• Advertisement

the fines are very excessive in my opinion.

in saying that, a couple of lads are lucky there was very few TV cameras there.

Out of curiousity, where does the 15k or any other money gathered by fines go to?

Anytime there is a bit of scuffle these days I nearly always end up looking at this video

I always laugh at the reaction of the other players,no one reacts to the incident

I suppose if it happened today there would be fellas coming from all angles to puff out the chests and compare handbags :D

confident of an u-21 win tonight???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

confident of an u-21 win tonight???

Hard to know with all the injuries - they should have a right crack at it and I'd be far more confident with Jack in charge compared to some of the previous U21 management setups - the big question mark is there is a serious amount of talent on the injured list - would be a fair bit more confident if there weren't all the injuries.

won by 11 to 1-7.

tipp very poor, kerry played with 14 men for 3/4 of the game and lost 2 more players due to injury.

great win all things considered.

Who got injured during?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

won by 11 to 1-7.

tipp very poor, kerry played with 14 men for 3/4 of the game and lost 2 more players due to injury.

great win all things considered.

Any chance of a report/ who played well for us exiles?

Any chance of a report/ who played well for us exiles?

Kerry had alot of the ball early on but Tipp played with 13 behind the ball for most of the game.

Kerry lots of posesion but relied on Jack Savage frees to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

matthew o sullivan sent off after 15 minutes or so, Tipp got a goal a minute later.

Kerry got a couple of points back and went in level.

0-6 to 1-3 at half time.

very quiet first 10-15 mins of second half, not alot happened apart from an exchance of points and then kerry got a burst of scores in the space of 5-10 mins and went three ahead.

it was 11 to 1-5 with a couple of minutes left, Tipp knocked over a point and missed a great goal chance 2 minutes into injury time, it was cleared and they got a free in and pointed it. ref blow up on 63 mins.

Barry was excellent at Center back but all round it was a real battle from 1-14 and the subs that came on.

Barry O sullivan came on at half time and changed the game, scored a point and lorded midfield.

6 points for Jack savage i think, 1 from play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

A night for patience, Tipperary played two defenders screening the Kerry FF line which meant Kerry had to play a lot of keep-ball.

Tipp had a big goal chance at the end but it was stopped with a possible leg block from the Kerry keeper with about a min to go.

Matthew O'Sullivan was the man sent off, playing midfield. Silly foul when on a yellow.

Kerry played slightly better into Tipp's defensive set-up in the second half, carrying ball down one side of the pitch and then switching play or waiting for a quick movement inside.

It's tough to play defensive teams and at times Kerry were really lost for ideas. It would be easy to criticise Tipp for a lack of ambition but they could have won it late on.

Stiffer tests ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement