Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

A night for patience, Tipperary played two defenders screening the Kerry FF line which meant Kerry had to play a lot of keep-ball.

Tipp had a big goal chance at the end but it was stopped with a possible leg block from the Kerry keeper with about a min to go.

Matthew O'Sullivan was the man sent off, playing midfield. Silly foul when on a yellow.

Kerry played slightly better into Tipp's defensive set-up in the second half, carrying ball down one side of the pitch and then switching play or waiting for a quick movement inside.

It's tough to play defensive teams and at times Kerry were really lost for ideas. It would be easy to criticise Tipp for a lack of ambition but they could have won it late on.

Stiffer tests ahead.

limerick at home next wednesday night, assuming we get over that its a month to the final which would be at home????? to Cork.

are we likely to have any players back in 4 weeks time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Better tell the missus I'll be out again next week so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

keane2097 wrote: »
    Who got injured during?

I assume Greg Horan was injured, hence his substitution at half time (surely we would have sacrificed another player, seen as we already lost 1 midfielder).

Brandon Barrett went off injured in second half.

Following that heart-warming victory over Donegal on Sunday last, Kerry senior footballers head to Castlebar on Sunday next to take on Mayo where two more valuable League points are at stake. Kerry have not fared well against the Connaught county in the League in recent years, 2011 being the last time they achieved a victory and one has to go all the way back to 2005 for the last victory on Mayo soil. Mayo lost their opening game to Cork by 9 points and then went down to 2 point defeats to both Dublin and Donegal before coming good late on to defeat Monaghan last weekend.

The likes of Killian Young, Jonathan Lyne and Tommy Walsh are still nursing knocks and may not be available for selection and of course Alan Fitzgerald is ruled out due to suspension following his dismissal last Sunday for a retaliatory strike. The victory over Donegal is bound to have a positive effect on the Kerry players and has relieved the pressure somewhat following the disappointing losses to Dublin, and Roscommon in particular. However, Sunday’s encounter will be no easy task against a side fighting for survival.

The news that Mikey Geaney has recommenced training will no doubt be welcomed by the Kerry management who also await the return of Mikey’s cousin Paul, Anthony Maher and James O’Donoghue.

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/10000682/Kerry_Head_to_Castlebar_for_Round_5_of_the_AFL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Whats the ruling on Fitzgeralds red card, one match or one month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Was in Tralee last night. Lucky enough to get out with the win, although if Barry O'Sullivan was on from the start and we had 15 v 15, we were better alright.

Fullback line was good all through although Cathal Long had his hands full at times. Half back line were in a bit of trouble for periods, Jack Kennedy and Josh Keane were very good for Tipp and Andrew Barry in particular wasn't at his best I thought. We struggled badly at midfield in the 1st half. Greg Horan is not a midfielder to be honest and it's a bit harsh on him throwing him in there and then taking him off when he is a very capable wing back or centre back IMO. Matthew O'Sullivan could have seen the line for his first reckless tackle alone and struggled with the pace of the game. Without being unfair to the young fella, I think there were better midfield options for Jack and co to chose from, even allowing for injuries. We will need Barry and Mark O'Connor back to beat Cork.
    Forwards struggled a lot against the blanket defence, but even in the first half Brandon Barrett and Micheál Burns did a lot of good work. The full forward line will all have better nights to be honest. Jack Savage tried hard to be fair and was the best by far of them. His accuracy from frees was exemplary also. Eanna O'Connor and Tony Brosnan will need to improve. Tony was unlucky with 1 or 2 shots in fairness.
    The other forward Briain O'Seanacháin was ok. Didn't see a lot of ball but he is a Donnacha Walsh in the making. Covers a huge amount of ground, is a good kicker of the ball etc. He made a superb covering block near the end which could well have prevented a Tipp goal. He's only 19 aswell so have high hopes for him.
    Killian Spillane added zip to the forward line and is going to start when push comes to shove I would think.
    Should get over Limerick next week, but we'll need a few injuries to clear up an to improve massively if we're to beat Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

1. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    2. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    6. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    7. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
    8. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
    9. Bryan Sheehan (C) St Marys
    10. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    11. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    14. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes
    15. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    Fir Ionaid:
    16. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    17. Denis Daly St Marys
    18. Padraig O’Connor Killarney Legion
    19. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    20. Aidan Walsh St Marys
    21. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar
    22. Brendan O’Sullivan Valentia
    23. Philip O’Connor Cordal
    24. Michael Geaney Dingle
    25. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    26. Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes

Not a bad 15. Great to see both Mikey Geaney and Kieran Leary returning from their respective injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Same As wrote: »
    1. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    2. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    6. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    7. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
    8. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
    9. Bryan Sheehan (C) St Marys
    10. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    11. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    14. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes
    15. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    Fir Ionaid:
    16. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    17. Denis Daly St Marys
    18. Padraig O’Connor Killarney Legion
    19. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    20. Aidan Walsh St Marys
    21. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar
    22. Brendan O’Sullivan Valentia
    23. Philip O’Connor Cordal
    24. Michael Geaney Dingle
    25. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    26. Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes

Not a bad 15. Great to see both Mikey Geaney and Kieran Leary returning from their respective injuries.

I'd be of the view that at least 2/3 of: Podge O'Connor, BJK, Brendan O'Sullivan, Pa Kilkenny, Denis Daly should be getting starts here. The chances to see these fellas are slipping away slowly but surely. Podge and Brendan I would have thought, earned the chance for 40 mins or so at least with some of the good cameos they've had. Denis Daly started against Donegal in fairness and only has himself to blame for the silly black card so maybe it's a lesson to be learned.

Once again, BJK is going through a few months of seeing little action with Kerry. He gets a fierce raw deal sometimes. Like, we've seen loads of Stephen O'Brien at this stage, we know what he can do. Give BJK a start. Darran came off with a hammer injury last Sunday and for a big away trip is now starting again 7 days later??

These aren't issues/selections that are going to make or break us, but I feel we could be using the panel better. Maybe I sound like a moany f*cker, but it's just my reaction to seeing that team and the way things have gone in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

I agree with that. Would have BJK ahead of SOB all day long. A fine footballer and always gives 100%. Fitzmaurice must be seeing different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'd be of the view that at least 2/3 of: Podge O'Connor, BJK, Brendan O'Sullivan, Pa Kilkenny, Denis Daly should be getting starts here. The chances to see these fellas are slipping away slowly but surely. Podge and Brendan I would have thought, earned the chance for 40 mins or so at least with some of the good cameos they've had. Denis Daly started against Donegal in fairness and only has himself to blame for the silly black card so maybe it's a lesson to be learned.

Once again, BJK is going through a few months of seeing little action with Kerry. He gets a fierce raw deal sometimes. Like, we've seen loads of Stephen O'Brien at this stage, we know what he can do. Give BJK a start. Darran came off with a hammer injury last Sunday and for a big away trip is now starting again 7 days later??

These aren't issues/selections that are going to make or break us, but I feel we could be using the panel better. Maybe I sound like a moany f*cker, but it's just my reaction to seeing that team and the way things have gone in general.

Can't help but think that the team was picked largely with an eye on the overall league standings - a win tomorrow and we would be nearly assured of safety from relegation and have a serious chance at a semi-final spot. However a loss and we are still right there as a relegation candidate (both Mayo and Cork have still to play Down which you would imagine will be almost 2 guaranteed points for them both) I'd say the management would be keen to get as safe as possible as they know that Kerry have ridden their luck a bit the last few years in terms of relegation and probably don't want to be facing into a last day game against Cork in a relegation decider.

Aside from the nonsense of the Donegal game it was annoying that Fitzgerald and Walsh ended up getting so little game time as "fringe" panel members.

As others have said BJK possibly a bit unfortunate - However he started both the Dublin and Roscommon games and got 55 minute plus in each and he got over 10 minutes as a sub in the Down and Donegal games so it's not as if he is cast off to Siberia the last while. Also
    looking at the lineup and the other subs bench, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him getting a decent chunk of gametime on Sunday - could very easily see him as a half-time sub/first sub in the forwards.

Decent looking team - the subs are a bit light in terms of experience but still have Jameso, Paul Geaney, Maher, Walsh,Young, Moran, Sherwood and Fitzgerald plus the U21 lads in terms of competition for places on the panel come summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Nice win. A bit lucky after a poor first half. Dominated the second half even after Donaghy's red. Silly tackle when on a yellow. Fionn being cynical got Diarmuid O'Connor sent off.

Good performance though and a deserved win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Nice win. A bit lucky after a poor first half. Dominated the second half even after Donaghy's red. Silly tackle when on a yellow. Fionn being cynical got Diarmuid O'Connor sent off.

Good performance though and a deserved win.

The Roscommon result doesn't look half as bad now, either, after their win over Donegal!

On the penalty incident, I haven't watch the highlights but I can't believe the referee let the point stand!

It's either a free out for charging or a black/yellow card and a penalty.

From my view he charged straight at and through Kealy and O'Mahoney before Donaghy grabbed and pulled him back as he kicked it.

I can't believe what guys are allowed do with the ball in hand. Murphy did it last week in the lead up to Enright's black card. Just barged through with the forearm out like rugby.

AOM and Darran were brilliant. SOB had a rough day. Was destroyed by Harrison. Sheehan was way off the pace in the first half as was Fionn, but both had storming second half displays.

O'Sullivan looks seriously promising. Great cameo's but might be a bit short fitnesswise for IC football.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    I can't believe what guys are allowed do with the ball in hand. Murphy did it last week in the lead up to Enright's black card. Just barged through with the forearm out like rugby.

It's funny, there is a post on the mayo forum about a rule made up for AOS as in he can't get a free,

The thing is AOS, O'Gara for us, your Donaghy, Murphy etc are all strong runners that can break a tackle, they win very good inside ball, but they all barge like mad, it's blown up too little imo. AOS leads with his arm regularly, it's exciting when they win a ball with two or three around them, but you have to use is correctly. Some particularly Donaghy developed offloading and moving back out the field to feed a runner or kick over the shoulders. But it's worth it for Murphy to burst through.
    But supporters seem to think that just because a player did exceptionally well to win a ball that the opposition should simply get out of their way. These things are mainly barging and a free out should be awarded imo. There are plenty of forwards that don't barge they can drop a shoulder or dummy past a man.

How things have changed we had Vinny Murphy years ago, went on holidays to kerry for a few years, anyway some here might concede that he was exceptionally skilled at winning high ball from a standing position, yet he didn't know what to do with it, and some guys could mark him very tightly by simply standing behind him and preventing him shooting, I get the feeling he be flying these days as he could simply barge past his man 70% of the time, he had the build for it. Back then the rule was applied so strongly that a defence could plan around it.

These days M Murphy is a very effective offensive player and regularly runs straight through players.

He does get terrible abuse but that's how you have to play his like unfortunately since the refs are rewarding this type of dynamic play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Stoner wrote: »
    It's funny, there is a post on the mayo forum about a rule made up for AOS as in he can't get a free,

The thing is AOS, O'Gara for us, your Donaghy, Murphy etc are all strong runners that can break a tackle, they win very good inside ball, but they all barge like mad, it's blown up too little imo. AOS leads with his arm regularly, it's exciting when they win a ball with two or three around them, but you have to use is correctly. Some particularly Donaghy developed offloading and moving back out the field to feed a runner or kick over the shoulders. But it's worth it for Murphy to burst through.
    But supporters seem to think that just because a player did exceptionally well to win a ball that the opposition should simply get out of their way. These things are mainly barging and a free out should be awarded imo. There are plenty of forwards that don't barge they can drop a shoulder or dummy past a man.

How things have changed we had Vinny Murphy years ago, went on holidays to kerry for a few years, anyway some here might concede that he was exceptionally skilled at winning high ball from a standing position, yet he didn't know what to do with it, and some guys could mark him very tightly by simply standing behind him and preventing him shooting, I get the feeling he be flying these days as he could simply barge past his man 70% of the time, he had the build for it. Back then the rule was applied so strongly that a defence could plan around it.

These days M Murphy is a very effective offensive player and regularly runs straight through players.

He does get terrible abuse but that's how you have to play his like unfortunately since the refs are rewarding this type of dynamic play.
    I guess its also proper application of the steps rule. You cant win the ball back as a defender as the player being tackled is leg pumping eight steps with no solo. I have said before a set in position defender you are meant to run around not through. Running at the defender is indeed barging. This barging is allowing players be 15/16 stone and effective. No need for dancing feet when you can just run in a straight line.

I've watched the highlights back now, and perhaps I was harsh on O'Shea. I don't think the intention was to barge he kind of spun and his mass took him into Kealy. Donaghy's tug saved the day. It probably should have been a penalty, but because the point was score the referee couldn't give advantage I suppose. If it had gone wide then advantage could be given I'd say. Not sure on a specific rule, but if he gave the penalty instead of the point, and the penalty was saved then what happens?

A similar situation happened in a Super 14 game in rugby down in Australia. The Waratah's had to win and score 4 tries. They had a penalty in the oposition half and advantage. The prop went to kick it away to get the penalty, so that they could kick for the corner and score a try. However he nailed the drop kick and got an essentially worthless 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I've watched the highlights back now, and perhaps I was harsh on O'Shea. I don't think the intention was to barge he kind of spun and his mass took him into Kealy. Donaghy's tug saved the day. It probably should have been a penalty, but because the point was score the referee couldn't give advantage I suppose. If it had gone wide then advantage could be given I'd say. Not sure on a specific rule, but if he gave the penalty instead of the point, and the penalty was saved then what happens?

Yeah the advantage rule should be clarified to make it easier for refs in a situation where the ball goes over the bar but it's a penalty - the attacking team should have the right to take the penalty and if they don't score, they still get the point. It tilts the balance a bit more towards the attacking side but I think it would be a clear improvement and make life far easier for refs.

At the moment it's easier for a ref to take the route of letting the point stand and turn a blind eye to any penalty offence if he isn't 100% as he would be in for a world of abuse if he chalked off the point and the penalty was missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Yeah the advantage rule should be clarified to make it easier for refs in a situation where the ball goes over the bar but it's a penalty - the attacking team should have the right to take the penalty and if they don't score, they still get the point. It tilts the balance a bit more towards the attacking side but I think it would be a clear improvement and make life far easier for refs.

At the moment it's easier for a ref to take the route of letting the point stand and turn a blind eye to any penalty offence if he isn't 100% as he would be in for a world of abuse if he chalked off the point and the penalty was missed.
    Alan Freeman scored a point in the 2013 final after the ball had left his boot he got his free. A free was given and that was scored. Freeman lied back on his back in frustration.

THE Kerry Under 21 side are playing in the EirGrid Munster Under 21 Football Championship Semi Final tomorrow night in Tralee and the team has been named.

The team to play against Limerick at Austin Stack Park 7:30pm shows three changes from the side that defeated Tipperary in the opening round last week.

Austin Stacks Greg Horan has been replaced by Barry O’Sullivan in midfield, David Foran comes in for injured Ardfert man Brandon Barrett in the half forward line and Templenoe’s Killian Spillane takes over on the edge of the square from Eánna Ó Conchúir.

Kerins O’Rahillys Jack Savage, who scored eight points in last Wednesday’s win over Tipperary, will captain the side which contains five of the side defeated by Cork in last year’s semi final game – Brian Ó Beagaloich, Cathal Ó Lúing, Barry O’Sullivan, Micheál Burns and Savage himself.

The team is as follows:
    1. Eoghan O’Brien – Churchill
    2. Brian Ó Beaglaoich – An Ghaeltacht
    3. Cathal Ó Lúing – An Ghaeltacht
    4. Tom O’Sullivan – Dingle
    5. Brian Sugrue – Renard
    6. Andrew Barry – Na Gaeil
    7. Gavin White – Dr Crokes
    8. Barry O’Sullivan – Dingle
    9. Matthew O’Sullivan – St Michaels-Foilmore
    10. David Foran – St Senans
    11. Michael Burns – Dr Crokes
    12. Brian Ó Seanacháin – Ballydonoghue
    13. Tony Brosnan – Dr Crokes
    14. Killian Spillane – Templenoe
    15. Jack Savage (C) – Kerins O’Rahillys

Fir Ionaid
    16. Darragh O’Shea – Ballydonoghue
    17. Greg Horan – Austin Stacks
    18. Eanna Ó Conchúir – An Ghaeltacht
    19. Dara Roche – Glenflesk
    20. Dan O’Donoghue – Spa
    21. Jason Foley – Ballydonoghue
    22. Conor Geaney – Dingle
    23. Tom (Leo) O’Sullivan – Dingle
    24. Jordan Kiely – Dr Crokes

http://traleetoday.ie/kerry-name-u21-team-wednesday-clash-limerick/

• Advertisement

Kerry making hard work in the u21's. Just conceded a goal, but Spillane hit back with a point.

Kerry 0-8 Limerick 1-5 just after half time.

EDIT: Goal woke Kerry up. Kerry hit back with a goal. 1-8 to 1-6

Limerick lead again.

2-6 to 1-8. Limerick's big men seem to be causing trouble.

Edit: Kerry lead narrowly. 1-11 to 2-7

Kerry pop over 2 late points to win.

1-14 to 2-8.

Kerry sound skillful, but really young and light.

not a great display, but they got the job done.

i think it will be another year before they are all ireland contenders.

County Leagues kicking off tomorrow

Division One

Castleisland Desmonds V Kilcummin
    Glenbeigh-Glencar V Kerins O`Rahilly's
    John Mitchel's V Templenoe
    Kenmare Shamrocks V Milltown/Castlemaine
    Killarney Legion V Daingean Uí Chúis
    Dr. Crokes V Austin Stacks

Division Two

Beaufort V Spa
    Finuge V St Marys
    Glenfesk V Listowel Emmets
    Laune Rangers V An Gaeltacht
    Listry V Waterville
    Rathmore V St Michaels Foilmore

Division Three

Ardfert V St Senans
    Ballydonoghue V Brosna
    Currow V Gneeveguilla
    Keel V Dromid Pearses
    St Pats V Beale
    Tarbert V Annascual

Division Four

Ballymac V Dr Crokes B
    Fires V Churchill
    Lispole V Fossa
    Na Gaeil V Scartaglin
    Renard V Skellig Rangers
    Valentia V Moyane

Division Five

Cordal V Austin Stacks B
    Daugh V Castlegregory
    Knocknagoshel V Tuosist
    Cromane V Asdee
    Sneem/Derrynane V Ballylongford

One result from last week in Division Five

Ballyduff 1-8 Rathmore B 2-11

Kerry hurling team for the game tomorrow against Offaly,after the past weeks I think tomorrow the team will be looking to get a bit of form going again,had this pencilled in as a game we could be getting a result in but after Offaly's win over Wexford last week I think its going to be a big ask now,
    hope the lads do well though and give it a good go.

1 Aidan McCabe Kilmoyley
    2 Bryan Murphy Causeway
    3 Patrick Kelly Clarecastle
    4 Keith Carmody Causeway
    5 Jason Diggins Causeway
    6 Darren Dineen St Brendans
    7 Tom Murnane Kilmoyley
    8 Daniel Collins (C) Kilmoyley
    9 John Griffin Lixnaw
    10 James O’Connor Abbeydorney
    11 Michael O’Leary Abbeydorney
    12 Colum Harty Causeway
    13 Jordan Conway Crotta O’Neills
    14 Mikey Boyle Ballyduff
    15 John Egan St Brendans
    Fir Ionaid:
    16 Stephen Murphy Causeway
    17 Brendan Brosnan Lixnaw
    18 John Buckley Lixnaw
    19 Tommy Casey Causeway
    20 Paudie O’Connor Kilmoyley
    21 Dougie Fitzelle Kilmoyley
    22 Jack Goulding Ballyduff
    23 Philip Lucid Ballyheigue
    24 Shane Nolan Crotta O’Neills
    25 Brendan O’Leary Abbeydorney
    26 Sean Weir Crotta O’Neills

Bainistíocht:
    Bainisteoir: Ciaran Carey (Patrickswell)
    Coach/Selector: Mark Foley (Adare)
    Treanálaí: Damien Ryall (Abbeydorney)
    Róghnoirí: James McCarthy (Kilmoyley), Michael Conway (Lixnaw)

Additional Players on Panel
    Darragh Shanahan Kilmoyley
    Jordon Brick Kilmoyley
    P J Keane Abbeydorney
    Gerard Stackpoole Lixnaw
    Mike Milner Dr Crokes
    Martin Stackpoole Lixnaw

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Super result for Kerry's hurlers, but to go from qf to relegation playoff in a matter of mins must be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Super result for Kerry's hurlers, but to go from qf to relegation playoff in a matter of mins must be tough.

Sport can be so cruel and gutting at times. Gone from a QF with the AI champions to a relegation playoff in 60 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Great result again for ye. Fair play. I know ye are now in the relegation playoff but also does the winner of div 2 have to also beat ye for the to go down should ye lose the playoff? I think that was how Kerry got up as far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

SeaFields wrote: »
    Great result again for ye. Fair play. I know ye are now in the relegation playoff but also does the winner of div 2 have to also beat ye for the to go down should ye lose the playoff? I think that was how Kerry got up as far as I remember.

Yes, the losers of Kerry-Laois get another chance to stay up against Carlow or Westmeath.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement