Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Anyone hear any more on this?

Kerry will have to plan without the services of captain Bryan Sheehan for the closing stages of the Allianz Football League.

Radio Kerry is reporting that Sheehan is to be sidelined by a hand injury sustained in last weekend's win over Mayo.

The full extent of the injury is yet to be determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

We'll get by. Sheehan has been brilliant, but Buckley or Brendan O'Sullivan will slot in. Moran and Maher might not be too far away.

Fantastic to hear about the hurlers but gutted that they missed out on Quarter Finals. Wexford's late strike made all the difference.

Still after losing to Clare and Wexford by so much, they can't complain. Wexford an anomaly. Losing to Offaly and scrape past Laois, but made shít of us.

Beat Laois and stay up so they know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

not a great display, but they got the job done.

i think it will be another year before they are all ireland contenders.

If they manage to remain afloat until they get a full team together they won't be stopped IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Fantastic result yesterday by the hurlers,great character shown to comeback yesterday and also to comeback from the two hidings they go the previous weeks

Its just a pity that rules are beyond stupid and now we have face Laois in a play off that should not be in place,it should be scraped,

Teams who win get no reward,the winners of 2A should be promoted automatically.

AHL Relegation Playoff with Laois fixed for Saturday April 2nd

The Allianz Hurling League Division 1B Relegation Playoff between Kerry and Laois has been fixed for Saturday April 2nd in Austin Stack Park, Tralee at 5pm.

Despite their fantastic win over Offaly in Birr today, a result that saw them finish level with both Wexford and Offaly on 4 points, it is the Leinster Counties who march on to the AHL Quarter Finals courtesy of a better scoring difference.
    Kerry will now play Laois in the Division 1B Relegation playoff on April 2nd/3rd. This game will be played in Austin Stack Park , the reasoning being that Kerry had 3 away games in the League while their opponents, who finished pointless in the table, had only 2.

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/10001123/AHL_Relegation_Playoff_with_Laois_fixed_for_Saturday_April_2nd

• Advertisement

That will be very cruel on the hurlers if they lose that. How do people more knowledgeable than me rate our chances? A lot of hard work put in by them. Would be great to stay in div 1

dobman88 wrote: »
    That will be very cruel on the hurlers if they lose that. How do people more knowledgeable than me rate our chances? A lot of hard work put in by them. Would be great to stay in div 1

I reckon we should win it,Laois have been getting players back as the league has been going on so they will be tough,

I think the pain and hurt of the poor display against Wexford will make the lads want to put things straight and they will be eager to put in a performance in front of the home supporters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Mexcanelo

I'm not sure what to make of this Kerry team. They were solid all championship last year but produced a unbelievably poor performance in the final. Maybe they lack that killer instinct that previous Kerry teams had.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mexcanelo wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to make of this Kerry team. They were solid all championship last year but produced a unbelievably poor performance in the final. Maybe they lack that killer instinct that previous Kerry teams had.

????? the final they dominated from start to finish and won by what, 11 points????

• Advertisement

1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    6. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    7. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
    8. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
    9. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    10. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    11. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    14. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes
    15. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    Fir Ionaid:
    16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    17. Killian Young Renard
    18. Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory
    19. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    20. Padraig O’Connor Killarney Legion
    21. Brendan O’Sullivan Valentia
    22. Denis Daly St Marys
    23. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar
    24. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    25. Paul Geaney Dingle
    26. Aidan Walsh St Marys
    Bainisteóir: Eamonn Fitzmaurice (Finuge)
    Róghnóirí: Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle), Mikey Sheehy (Austin Stacks), Padraig Corcoran (Dingle), Liam Hassett (Laune Rangers).

Long Term Injury Update
    Anthony Maher and James O’Donoghue are expected to return to training next month.

Nice to see Moran back in the side.

Very strong looking side. Looks like we want to win this weekend and go for Semi Finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,240 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Nice to see Moran back in the side.

Very strong looking side. Looks like we want to win this weekend and go for Semi Finals.

Hopefully they will win, and allow us Mayo folk live to see another day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I'm going to play the grinch again a bit and say there's a few things I'd query about that team. For one thing, Shane Enright is playing a County Championship Friday night. He has played every game so far in the league, is there really a need to play him again here? Why not start Podge O'Connor who has shown signs that he may be a real option after a good county championship last year.
    I'd have a few gripes with the forward 8 line up also, if it lines out that way.
    Have we not seen enough of Donnacha, Darran, Stephen O'Brien so far? Donaghy at midfield? Not a fan of it, regardless of how a league game goes.
    Denis Daly, BJK, Brendan O'Sullivan and others have shown something at various stages. Why not give them 40 mins or so and see how up to it they are? I really don't know if Gooch is up to it in the full forward line any more either, if that's where he does line out.

Maybe Fitz really does want to push for a league Semi place as a change from recent years. Monaghan were rubbish against Cork, so would expect some sort of reaction at home here. They'll play defensive enough and are heavily reliant on McManus in any case, so they are very beatable.

Stephen O'Brien seems to have fallen into a guaranteed starting position by never doing anything noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

keane2097 wrote: »
    Stephen O'Brien seems to have fallen into a guaranteed starting position by never doing anything noticeable.

Stephen is probably our best option in the corner at the moment with Paul Geaney easing his way back in over the next week or two.

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Stephen is probably our best option in the corner at the moment with Paul Geaney easing his way back in over the next week or two.

Maybe so, I think he gets away with a lot of unremarkable performances personally but they might be giving him an extended chance to move up levels.

Prop Joe wrote: »

BJK can feel a bit hard done by imo. Mentioned it here before, he always puts it in and picks up some fine scores. I can't understand him at least not getting a chance at league level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'm going to play the grinch again a bit and say there's a few things I'd query about that team. For one thing, Shane Enright is playing a County Championship Friday night. He has played every game so far in the league, is there really a need to play him again here? Why not start Podge O'Connor who has shown signs that he may be a real option after a good county championship last year.
    I'd have a few gripes with the forward 8 line up also, if it lines out that way.
    Have we not seen enough of Donnacha, Darran, Stephen O'Brien so far? Donaghy at midfield? Not a fan of it, regardless of how a league game goes.
    Denis Daly, BJK, Brendan O'Sullivan and others have shown something at various stages. Why not give them 40 mins or so and see how up to it they are? I really don't know if Gooch is up to it in the full forward line any more either, if that's where he does line out.

Maybe Fitz really does want to push for a league Semi place as a change from recent years. Monaghan were rubbish against Cork, so would expect some sort of reaction at home here. They'll play defensive enough and are heavily reliant on McManus in any case, so they are very beatable.

Looking at that lineup it surely has to be a case of wanting a semi-final place at least. I'm sure Eamon would like to do a bit better in the league, especially since there is decent odds this could be his last year in charge (for this stint)

Also the Muster Championship game against Limerick or Clare is down for the 12th of June which would mean a gap of 10 weeks if Kerry don't get to a semi-final. The semi-finals are scheduled for the 9th of April and the finals are the 24th which would cut down the gap somewhat.

I would think that with an eye on Munster, the management would probably like to be able to try out some of the less experienced players in the game against Cork in Tralee, which would be a lot easier with a semi-final place nailed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

So out of that 26, plus Maher,JOD and Sheehan, who else is likely to be involved this year?

• Advertisement

Michael Geaney I imagine? Having been unsure of his merits at one time I thought he was excellent up until his injury in the championship last year.

So out of that 26, plus Maher,JOD and Sheehan, who else is likely to be involved this year?

Mikey Geaney as already mentioned plus Kieran O'Leary, Tommy Walsh, Jack Sherwood, Brian O Beaglaioch, Barry O'Sullivan, Phillip O'Connor and there's probably a few more who will be competing for a place in the squad/called in to training at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Mikey Geaney as already mentioned plus Kieran O'Leary, Tommy Walsh, Jack Sherwood, Brian O Beaglaioch, Barry O'Sullivan, Phillip O'Connor and there's probably a few more who will be competing for a place in the squad/called in to training at some stage.

Where's Tommy Walsh these days? Would love to see him have been given a place in every league game this campaign

mystic86 wrote: »
    Where's Tommy Walsh these days? Would love to see him have been given a place in every league game this campaign

He had an knock/injury of some sort for the last few league games but he did line out for the club last weekend so maybe they felt he was a bit off full fitness.

I think the knock thing was a load of ****e tbh. He played a full game for Strand Road last night and was excellent. Gave Legion a proper hiding. Fitzmaurice seems to not fancy him much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,240 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thank you very much Kerry.

Ye are fairly motoring.

Kerry were brilliant in the second half. Donaghy was top class. Two unreal points. Alan Fitz kicked lovely scores.

Defence were rock solid.

AOM is having a great time as a sweeper. Winning a load of ball. Mark Griffin beat everyone put on him. Paul Murpht brilliant.

We want to test ourselves against Dublin i'd imagine in a SemiFinal or Final.

We still need to beat Cork to guarentee a Semi Final I think. A lot depends on Monaghan v Donegal and our game against Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Kerry were brilliant in the second half. Donaghy was top class. Two unreal points. Alan Fitz kicked lovely scores.

Defence were rock solid.

AOM is having a great time as a sweeper. Winning a load of ball. Mark Griffin beat everyone put on him. Paul Murpht brilliant.

We want to test ourselves against Dublin i'd imagine in a SemiFinal or Final.

We still need to beat Cork to guarentee a Semi Final I think. A lot depends on Monaghan v Donegal and our game against Cork

With Donegal's point difference, both matches would need about a ten-point turnaround for us to lose out, but no harm to put Cork in their place, all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

Cooper is in great aul form at the moment. I thought he was brilliant against Mayo and great again today.

• Advertisement

With Donegal's point difference, both matches would need about a ten-point turnaround for us to lose out, but no harm to put Cork in their place, all the same!

Yeah. Forgot Cork were so far behind on PD. Still, we'll want to win. Keep momentum going.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement