Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

fresca wrote: »
    right ladies & gents.... 2 games played, no points. we'll probably have to win our remaining home games to stay in the division. maybe need to get something out of galway and tyrone too.

any thoughts?

Lets call it as it is.There is no way Kerry are going to get relegated.There is more chance of Tyrone getting the boot than Kerry while I feel Monaghan are dead certs for the drop.Galway aren't exactly out of the woods either.I think Mayo and Dublin will be safe although I did predicted Mayo to go down at the offset.Still a way to go.

We all know when the O Se brothers come back along with Gooch and Darren Sullivan that Kerry will be a different proposition.They seem to be playing the wounded victim role earlier than ever.

Also,this might sound a bit controversial but the earlier the Kerry management drop Galvin,the better.He is in the spotlight and is getting all the wrong attention.He is a liability to Kerry these days and his behaviour and media attention is hindering the team I feel.If Kerry are as cute as they are made out to be,they'd drop Galvin until all the noise dies down a bit and re-introduce him in the later stages of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

blackbelt wrote: »
    Lets call it as it is.There is no way Kerry are going to get relegated.There is more chance of Tyrone getting the boot than Kerry while I feel Monaghan are dead certs for the drop.Galway aren't exactly out of the woods either.I think Mayo and Dublin will be safe although I did predicted Mayo to go down at the offset.Still a way to go.

Still a way to go but to stay up Kerry have to travel to Omagh and win in their back yard. Not to mind to win away to Galway also. To tell you the truth I wouldn't mind a year in Division 2 next season seeing counties and grounds that I never saw before. Quite enjoyed my trips to Longford & Tullamore last year in a sadistic way. :cool:
    We all know when the O Se brothers come back along with Gooch and Darren Sullivan that Kerry will be a different proposition.They seem to be playing the wounded victim role earlier than ever.

"wounded victim role earlier than ever"??? Not sure what you're talking about here we deserved to lose against Dublin & Cork two teams that were much fitter than us and took their chances when they mattered end of.
    Also,this might sound a bit controversial but the earlier the Kerry management drop Galvin,the better.He is in the spotlight and is getting all the wrong attention.He is a liability to Kerry these days and his behaviour and media attention is hindering the team I feel.If Kerry are as cute as they are made out to be,they'd drop Galvin until all the noise dies down a bit and re-introduce him in the later stages of the league.

Two wins in the League and suddenly the Dubs are dispensating advice to Kerryman - I've heard it all now. Here's a bit of advice start playing Bernard Brogan more, he's one of the best footballers in the country not to mind Dublin. Stop saving him as a sub and build your attack around him - he's pure class and you never know Dublin might go further than winning Leinster again ;)

Regarding Galvin he was man of the match for Kerry against Dublin scoring 4 points from play and you say he should be dropped for "getting all the wrong attention" - he spent 3 months on the sideline 2 years ago.

So on one hand you're saying that Kerry are playing the "wounded victim role" by not playing Gooch & the myriad of other stars we have yet you are advising us not to play the 2009 player of the year :confused: - you can't have it both ways blackbelt!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

fresca wrote: »
    right ladies & gents.... 2 games played, no points. we'll probably have to win our remaining home games to stay in the division. maybe need to get something out of galway and tyrone too.

any thoughts?

Yeah its the end of Kerry football. I said as much around this time last year (and the year before), third times the charm...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Colm_purchase

Just read over some of the posts this girl/guy made on Kerry and really Kerry fans you might as well be replying to Liam Hayes then reacting to this goobley gook! Hatred and jealousy for and of us. Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thekid9

Anyone got anything to say about galvin eye gouging young Cadogan?? Shameful to see. He is a talented footballer but I think he deserves a lengthy ban for this cowardly act. Cadogan is suffering from loose teeth aswell as galvin elbowed Cadogan into the mouth before( the scuffle which was caught on camera) occured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

thekid9 wrote: »
    Anyone got anything to say about galvin eye gouging young Cadogan?? Shameful to see. He is a talented footballer but I think he deserves a lengthy ban for this cowardly act. Cadogan is suffering from loose teeth aswell as galvin elbowed Cadogan into the mouth before( the scuffle which was caught on camera) occured.

We hardly need to discuss the incident in two places.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

two many lads following rugby trials these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thekid9

two many lads following rugby trials these days.

Too many times has galvingot away with his tuggary

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

@thekid9

1242137234732873248 <<< Thats just a load of random numbers, yet its still far more usefull then anything you have posted regarding Galvin on both threads.

Drop it please, I think I speak for more then just myself when I say we're all sick and tired of it.
    Your user name suits you down to the ground.

Now, sorry for that diversion, back on topic. I think the 2 week break will do us good. Might get a few more players back. A chance maybe to bring a few of the Spa and Castlegregory lads in. Mike O'Donaghue deserves a shot as do JB Spillane and Andrew Garnett. We need to do more then break even at midfield... Its jus the nature of Kerry football throughout the years. We were cleaned against Dublin and Galvin nearly pulled us out of that mess. Against Cork he didnt have that chance through his own fault or external factors... none of that matters. We are now hovering dangerously around the relegation area of the league. The sooner we get lads fit, and a bit of good luck, we'll be sorted. A midtable finish is most likely, but I would not be surprised at all if we end up dropping down.

Finally, Why are we in Healy Park AGAIN!!! We player them there last year, time for them to pop down to Tralee this year surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

DDC1990 wrote: »
    ...A midtable finish is most likely, but I would not be surprised at all if we end up dropping down...
    we probably need at least 6 points to stay up.

at home to derry on 7th march is a must win
    away to galway on 14th march is a should win
    at home to mayo on 21 march is a probable loss (given how well mayo are going), but a win would be a big bonus
    away to tyrone on march 27 will be interesting
    at home to monaghan on 11 april is a must win

looking foward to it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0217/kerry.html

darragh o se has retired. what a career. legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Anyone know what happened with Galvins hearing last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Paul Galvin suspension stands!

Tuesday, 2 March 2010 08:00

Paul Galvin's eight-week suspension will stand after the Central Hearings Committee finally came to their decision late on Monday night.

The Kerry ace won't return to action until the final league fixture against Monaghan in April.

Galvin was sent off in the NFL clash against Cork at Páirc Uí Rinn and requested a personal hearing after the Central Competitions Control Committee proposed the eight-week ban.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0302/galvinp.html

A downright joke, lets be honest. If I were Galvin I wouldn't be long quitting the intercounty scene or changing his name or anything, to stop this targeting of him by opposition teams and the GAA hierarchy. There is no way in hell you should be sent off for being jumped on from behind and wrestled to the ground a mile away from the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Just to clear this up - Galvin is the current player of the year and a fantastic footballer. While our right about him getting unwanted attention - he's far from a liability.

Secondly - what do you think dropping Galvin is going to do only create numerous articles about him being dropped and they hype of when he'll return - foolish idea imo and I'd imagine Jacko would be much cuter than that in handling the situation

Paul Galvin suspension stands!

Tuesday, 2 March 2010 08:00

Paul Galvin's eight-week suspension will stand after the Central Hearings Committee finally came to their decision late on Monday night.

The Kerry ace won't return to action until the final league fixture against Monaghan in April.

Galvin was sent off in the NFL clash against Cork at Páirc Uí Rinn and requested a personal hearing after the Central Competitions Control Committee proposed the eight-week ban.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0302/galvinp.html

A downright joke, lets be honest. If I were Galvin I wouldn't be long quitting the intercounty scene or changing his name or anything, to stop this targeting of him by opposition teams and the GAA hierarchy. There is no way in hell you should be sent off for being jumped on from behind and wrestled to the ground a mile away from the ball.

He's got a bad name and he hasn't helped himself over the past few years but that's a joke of a ban for what looked like to me - handbags, it's clear prejudice by the CCCC & CHC imo

@thekid9

Now, sorry for that diversion, back on topic. I think the 2 week break will do us good. Might get a few more players back. A chance maybe to bring a few of the Spa and Castlegregory lads in. Mike O'Donaghue deserves a shot as do JB Spillane and Andrew Garnett. We need to do more then break even at midfield...

I'd imagine Mahoney & Stam from Spa will get a run out alright, Garnett was impressive in the final in Croker so I'd give him a chance too but then again I'm biased being a Spa man!

I wouldn't give JB from Castle a call up - he covers an awful lot of ground and works hard but Shane Hennessy is a far better athlete and footballer imo - he was tremendous in the Junior final kicked some great scores IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

PaulieC wrote: »
    He's got a bad name and he hasn't helped himself over the past few years but that's a joke of a ban for what looked like to me - handbags, it's clear prejudice by the CCCC & CHC imo

I completely agree,galvin is being targeted by refs and opposition players as he has a reputation for being a hot head.

Anthony16 wrote: »
    I completely agree,galvin is being targeted by refs and opposition players as he has a reputation for being a hot head.

Well definately oppostion players are going to try and get a response from him but he has to learn to deal with it - the final leg of last season he really seemed to change his attitude, put it to the back of his mind and simply get on with his football I only wish he could do it all the time but it must be hard.

I don't think referees target him as such - if they see an incident they have to respond to it, my problem is really with the CCCC & CHC because they seem dedicated to making an example of him every time a case comes up against him.

While I know the events that unfolded against Clare two years ago are unforgivable he was being targeted by the wing back marking him all afternoon. The incident Galvin was booked for was brought to the referees attention by the linesman who clearly saw the clare wing back stamp Galvin down the back of his legs with his studs before Galvin retaliated, yet Galvin was the only one punished what happened after was just lunacy however.

It goes back to the age old argument of the referees needing help - Linesmen and umpires constantly let off the ball incidents go and in a game which is bordering on professionalism this is simply not good enough.

Does anybody agree that linesmen, referees and umpires should be using radio contact to cut out this problem?

Well definately oppostion players are going to try and get a response from him but he has to learn to deal with it - the final leg of last season he really seemed to change his attitude, put it to the back of his mind and simply get on with his football I only wish he could do it all the time but it must be hard.

I think this is an attitude issue that Galvin has tbh. He gets targetted every bit as much in an AI final as he does in a NL game.

Imo he's perfectly capable of keeping his cool, he just doesn't really care whether he gets sent off or not in the NL or early in the Championship.

Tbh, I don't really care whether he does or not either. I would wager you'll never see him get sent of for something stupid like a retaliation in an AI final.

I'd imagine Mahoney & Stam from Spa will get a run out alright, Garnett was impressive in the final in Croker so I'd give him a chance too but then again I'm biased being a Spa man!

I wouldn't give JB from Castle a call up - he covers an awful lot of ground and works hard but Shane Hennessy is a far better athlete and footballer imo - he was tremendous in the Junior final kicked some great scores IIRC

Barry John Keane ftw.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Barry John Keane ftw.

Sure who's he :D

I think this is an attitude issue that Galvin has tbh. He gets targetted every bit as much in an AI final as he does in a NL game.

Imo he's perfectly capable of keeping his cool, he just doesn't really care whether he gets sent off or not in the NL or early in the Championship.

Tbh, I don't really care whether he does or not either. I would wager you'll never see him get sent of for something stupid like a retaliation in an AI final.

Was half thinking that myself alright but ffs he's a senior member of that panel, they've young fellas in at the moment like Barry John Keane, Barry John Walsh, James O'Donoghue etc. he should be setting an example for them by not getting sent off for stupid off the ball shít. Regardless of the fact that it's in the league I'd be slightly pissed off if I was Jacko.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Shame on those that imposed the ban on Paul Galvin. Talk about given a dog a bad game.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Shame on those that imposed the ban on Paul Galvin. Talk about given a dog a bad game.

More like giving a dog with a bad name a ridiculous ban for a minor scuffle

Was half thinking that myself alright but ffs he's a senior member of that panel, they've young fellas in at the moment like Barry John Keane, Barry John Walsh, James O'Donoghue etc. he should be setting an example for them by not getting sent off for stupid off the ball shít. Regardless of the fact that it's in the league I'd be slightly pissed off if I was Jacko.

I'm not saying he's right to carry on like that - that's just what I think is going on inside his head.

I'm not saying he's right to carry on like that - that's just what I think is going on inside his head.

you're probably right about that...a team of the worlds top psychologists could analyze Galvin for weeks and still not know what's going on in his ceann though - the man's tapped like!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

More like giving a dog with a bad name a ridiculous ban for a minor scuffle

Twas very much handbags at ten paces compared to what you would see in games involving some of the Ulster teams and nothing happens them.

Twas very much handbags at ten paces compared to what you would see in games involving some of the Ulster teams and nothing happens them.

He shoulda told the referee twas blanket defence and he'd have stayed on the pitch! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭crebel81

Are u serious? Are u one of these ulster bashers...cop on! What about kenneally last year...galvin on numerous occasions....stupid comment!!

• Advertisement

crebel81 wrote: »
    Are u serious? Are u one of these ulster bashers...cop on! What about kenneally last year...galvin on numerous occasions....stupid comment!!

It's not a stupid comment.

He's saying the incident we are talking about was tame in the extreme. Many people agree.

It's a discussion about the appropriateness of the severity of Paul Galvin's ban for the incident in the recent National League game.

You bringing up the Tadhg Kennelly incident of all things would lead me to suggest you do a bit more work on your own comments before meting out judgements of other peoples' comments being stupid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement