Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

And Begley going off hurt Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Cork deserving winners tonight. Corks half back line, midfield and full forward were very good. They missed some very handy frees as well so it shouldn't have been as tight as it was.

Kerry over elaborated on their own kickouts and didn't really have alot of movement off the shoulder to support the runner in possession.

I wouldn't have expected the win tonight as Kerry are year one of a two year Under 21 team so hopefully they'll win Munster next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Not be more likely to be next year?

Interesting one with the minors moving up. Seems to take a year of acclimatising and then bang at it again. Almost like the old 'bad year/good year' community games/underage football thing.

some of the 2014 minor side would be over age for next year for 21s , that 2014 team was probably kerry's strongest in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

some of the 2014 minor side would be over age for next year for 21s , that 2014 team was probably kerry's strongest in a long time

I thought they'd have a year left, think our ones from 2014 have another year too

Must check actually because if they don't that's bucked the idea of our development I have in my head!

I thought they'd have a year left, think out ones from 2014 have another year too

Must check actually because if they don't that's bucked the idea of our development in have in my head!

sorry you are right they would have one more year left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

12 starters and 5 on bench underage next year apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Team named. On the phone and just copied and pasted so apologies for formatting errors.

The team, captained by Aidan O’Mahony, is as follows: 

1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion

2. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht

3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore 

4. Shane Enright Tarbert

5. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers

6. Aidan O’Mahony(C) Rathmore

7. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes

8. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks

9. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys

10. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes

11. Paul Murphy Rathmore

12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane

13. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar

14. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes

15. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare

Fir Ionaid: 

16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin

17. Bryan Sheehan St Marys

18. Killian Young Renard

19. Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory

20. Padraig O’Connor Killarney Legion

21. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys

22. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion

23. Brendan O’Sullivan Valentia

24. Michael Geaney Dingle

25. Tommy Walsh Kerins O’Rahillys

26. Denis Daly St Mary's

Paul Geaney must have aggrivated his injury. Came on vs Monaghan. Was named in the subs vs Cork but was out on the field in his own clothes and runners and was replaced by Phillip O'Connor on the bench. Now gone altogether. Hope its only minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

How many more years of the under 21 grade are left ? have"nt the rules been changed making an under 20 competition and minors to be under 17

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

It's predictable that Kerry folk are trotting out the line that Cork only won 'cause they were physically stronger. They have said that every one of the last six year we beat them at U-21. It's a similar excuse to the one they use for the seniors when Tyrone beat them (they were too physical for us; in other words dirty).
    Total nonsense of course, although I accept there are some Kerry supporters who will give use credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

lukin wrote: »
    It's predictable that Kerry folk are trotting out the line that Cork only won 'cause they were physically stronger. They have said that every one of the last six year we beat them at U-21. It's a similar excuse to the one they use for the seniors when Tyrone beat them (they were too physical for us; in other words dirty).
    Total nonsense of course, although I accept there are some Kerry supporters who will give use credit.

I dont really get this. Stronger doesnt automatically mean dirty. I've been having this argument with a few Cork buddies of mine. They seem to think that when Kerry folk trot out the line about strenght and physique, we're not giving Cork the respect they think they deserve. Whats wrong with being told Cork are stronger? Its not a game of tiddlewinks ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I fully believe that this Kerry team were better footballers.

The better footballers don't always win the game. You need a good balance. Cork had that better balance and won the game.

Players like Kelliher, Cronin and White have that physicality and are also incredible footballers.

Sorry if that offend you.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one DDC, you can't call lads "better footballers", when they are unable to take on and beat their opponent 1 v 1 and/or are being outpaced completely 1 v 1, which is what happened last night time and again to several Kerry players.

A few Cork lads take serious offence when some of us talk about physicality, but it's not an insult in my eyes. Just one focused example:
    In the first half last night Cork's wing forwards won at least 6 or 7 kickouts and turned them into good attacking possessions, this when they were playing against a very strong breeze.
    To break it down clearly, they had the physical presence to win hard ball, AND then the skill/awareness to turn and beat their man 1 v 1 and get forward. It's not a case of just being "big shtrong lads" as fools like Weeshie may describe it. The tactical element of the kickouts etc, creating space, vision, awareness etc are all factors.
    The other factor then was that the Cork wing backs (and Seán White who played like an extra attacking half back) made hay going forward all night and were virtually unmarked by their direct opponents.
    When your half forward AND half back line are dominated like this, you will always struggle to win a game.

And yet..
    If Burns had finished his great goal chance in the first half instead of showboating and trying to drop-kick it, Kerry might have drove on a bit and been in a better position at half time, IF, Dara Roche's shot had gone in..etc.
    All if's, and's and but's of course, which is the same for any game you lose by 1.

To be honestly we were very poor tactically tonight which is one of the more disappointing elements. Cork dictated the game for the majority of the 1st half, both our half-back and half forward lines were in trouble a lot and no changes were made until 3/4 way through the game. We didn't make smart enough use of short kickouts either when we did use them and even then it didn't look as if enough work had been done on transitioning ball out of defence.

There wasn't as much need to drop a sweeper back in the first half, given that Cork were unlikely to get the ball into the inside line from outside 50m or more. Jack has been a tad too conservative at times in the past, it's one thing that I've noticed. All easy to say in hindsight after a defeat as I've said.

All in all, definitely a game that could have been won and next year makes in now 9 years without an u21 Munster title, which is an appalling statistic.

Turning to Senior game Sunday for a second:
    Again, I'm a bit disappointed that Podge O'Connor and Barry John aren't given run out's here as both did their jobs well last Sunday. Podge has never started a game in Croker and it would have been good for him. BJK is in far better form than O'Brien IMO and should be starting. Alan Fitz can count himself unlucky aswell. Fionn Fitz earned his place with a good display against Cork off the bench, no problem there. Hope Paul Geaney's injury is minimal. We'll need him before the year is out. Great to see Sheehan back on the bench.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

duchalla wrote: »
    I dont really get this. Stronger doesnt automatically mean dirty. I've been having this argument with a few Cork buddies of mine. They seem to think that when Kerry folk trot out the line about strenght and physique, we're not giving Cork the respect they think they deserve. Whats wrong with being told Cork are stronger? Its not a game of tiddlewinks ;-)

Very true. But over the years when Cork beat Kerry , the line of ' Cork won cause they were bigger' gets trotted out more often than not. Your Cork buddies might be referring to Kerry folk not wanting to admit that Cork won because they had better footballers. Kerry folk generally don't like saying that - it's not always the case of course, but it is never really generally admitted when it does occur . The ' bigger or more physical ' ( not necessarily dirty of course) is trotted out.

But don't worry, I am quietly confident the better footballers from Kerry will win the u21 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

only rising ye lads but Cork not getting credit for being good footballers is something that happens a fair bit.

I'd say the opposite, I for one have often wondered why, with such good footballers have Cork not achieved more. I always thought it was the structures.
    Would always consider Cork a big team too, like Donegal or Mayo, rightly or wrongly

Have a feeling about Paul Murphy grabbing a goal today.

First Goalscorer and Kerry to win is 33/1 on PP.

With his pace and the open spaces in Croke Park, I can see him on the end of a quck handpassing move or running in to punch one into the net.

Just a hunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Best of luck to the seniors today. Be good to make final for a day out and to shorten the idle period to the championship.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kerry 4 goals up at ht, and worth the lead. You would have to question the tactics of the Roscommon management though. Against the elements and not playing with a spare defender , seems like they wanted to go toe to toe with Kerry, bad choice. I am sure they will get closer in the second half but they should have changed tactics after 15, game over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

The Rossies look very nervous, have nothing up front. Kerry look very comfortable and seem to be playing well within themselves. He should really give the likes of Brendan Sullivan, Denis Daly and Tommy Walsh a good thirty minutes now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Excellent display so far - defending in packs, dominating the midfield and the switching of play among the forwards is first-class. You'd be worried about Buckley going off, but they look away brighter already this year than they did for most of the last Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Good display from Kerry today. Paul Murphy is great bit of stuff, covered a pile of ground, Great to see the subs who came on play well. BJK kicked a massive point after coming on. Brendan O'Sullivan obliged with his now customary score. Buckley coming off was the only sour note. Seemed to have a very slight limp as he was walking across the pitch for the 2nd half. Hopefully it isn't much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Not at the game but looked good on tv maybe bottle of wine at dinner helped .we will know how we stand next day out, it all looks too easy at moment.its niceto play dublin in crocker looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Chiarrai_abu

Kerry controlled the game completely. The passing movements were great. Most kick passes were great on the day.
    Dublin will be a completely different game. Paddy Andrews and Connolly looks good along with Fenton.

Good result. Poor game.

Dubs look extremely strong.

Will be a tough final.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Kerry 4 goals up at ht, and worth the lead. You would have to question the tactics of the Roscommon management though. Against the elements and not playing with a spare defender , seems like they wanted to go toe to toe with Kerry, bad choice.

eh???? they played with not only 1 extra defender in that first half, but 3.

they had at some stages, 15 behind the ball.

eh???? they played with not only 1 extra defender in that first half, but 3.

they had at some stages, 15 behind the ball.

The first half I saw had oceans of space all around that defence, with so much space for Kerry fowards to run into, not sure where those fellas were playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Lads what has e fritz against t walsh??? There isn't another county in the country that would leave that great man sitting on the sideline

ambrose is the most negative of negative pundits i take it wishie was at the masters , . . . . . there should be no excuse for the final against dublin .....as far as punditry is concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads what has e fritz against t walsh??? There isn't another county in the country that would leave that great man sitting on the sideline
    I was looking forward to getting a look at him yesterday, why is he on so many panels but with so little playing time.
    We had that with Costello last year but at least he's a young lad learning from the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

he obviously isnt doing it in training, it cant be more clear than that and he has been poor in alot of games that he has played in.

while he was brilliant in 2009, overall i think Tommy is a player that is just missing something and he is not as good as people think, his actual skills levels are very questionable. theres lot of examples of players who are big men doing well in GAA for a couple of seasons, but they get found out eventually

he is living off 2009 to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Best player against Dublin, not seen since. Talk of carrying knocks, then he plays 60 mins and hacks up for the club.

Some very strange reports and some even stranger selection policies the story of the league in the negative sense, with Marc Griffin probably the story of the league in the positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Yeah I thought the likes of Tommy Walsh and Brendan Sullivan should have been brought in at HT the last day, the game was over and we know what people like Killian and Barry John have to offer already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement