Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

Bonniedog wrote: »
    What other counties would these be now?

In last ten years the only county on Leinster Council to vote to have early round games outside of CP involving Dublin have been the county or counties due to play Dublin! All of the others have voted to keep the match in Croke Park. Doesn't matter a damn to Dublin where they play and neither footballers or hurlers have ever objected to having to play anywhere. Other ironically than some in hurling camp who prefer playing in Parnell :)
    All the counties other than Dublin, who exactly did you think I was referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

All those other counties who vote to keep Dublin in Croke Park!

Same Leinster delegates that are whinging about the Dubs, vote to have everyone else other than themselves play Dublin there so they can benefit from the gate receipts. Same ones then going back to their own clubs and leading the chorus. You couldn't make it up .....

Same Leinster delegates that are whinging about the Dubs, vote to have everyone else other than themselves play Dublin there so they can benefit from the gate receipts. Same ones then going back to their own clubs and leading the chorus. You couldn't make it up .....
    Ah I was only messing with ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

You o course have something back this up?

cms88 wrote: »
    You o course have something back this up?

Why don't you do your own research? It is matter of record that every year since 2006 to 2015, when it was proposed to move Dublin games outside CP, that it was overwhelmingly defeated. Often with the only vote in favour being the county that had "home advantage" in draw, and DCB rep abstaining!

Who do you think makes these decisions? It is not in DCB's gift to decide where matches are played, nor can Central Council over rule Leinster Council.

If you are unhappy with it and from another Leinster county, I suggest you check your representative's voting record!

Anyway, just for another matter of record, Dublin have played around 35 SFC games outside CP since 1974. Lost one. Have worse record in Croke Park. then again, Meath never bothered about where they played Dublin and had no complexes going on, and no excuses whatever happened.

• Advertisement

Why don't you do your own research? It is matter of record that every year since 2006 to 2015, when it was proposed to move Dublin games outside CP, that it was overwhelmingly defeated. Often with the only vote in favour being the county that had "home advantage" in draw, and DCB rep abstaining!

Who do you think makes these decisions? It is not in DCB's gift to decide where matches are played, nor can Central Council over rule Leinster Council.

If you are unhappy with it and from another Leinster county, I suggest you check your representative's voting record!

Anyway, just for another matter of record, Dublin have played around 35 games outside CP since 1974. Lost one.

Because you're the one making the claim not me.

Because you're the one making the claim not me.

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/153843-leinster-council-votes-dublin-to-stay/153843

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/decision-to-keep-dublin-in-croke-park-didn-t-even-spark-debate-1.1991423

There wasn't even a formal vote in 2014 or 2013!

And yet I know for a fact that one person who I've heard whinging about Dublin being in Croke Park all the time was at both of those meetings!

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/153843-leinster-council-votes-dublin-to-stay/153843

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/decision-to-keep-dublin-in-croke-park-didn-t-even-spark-debate-1.1991423

There wasn't even a formal vote in 2014 or 2013!

And yet I know for a fact that one person who I've heard whinging about Dublin being in Croke Park all the time was at both of those meetings!

''It is matter of record that every year since 2006 to 2015'' Now you're saying this is different.

And what do you have to back up this ''fact''? Where you there?

''It is matter of record that every year since 2006 to 2015'' Now you're saying this is different.

And what do you have to back up this ''fact''? Where you there?

I've just given you proof of what happens.

Do you think that if other Leinster counties voted to move Dublin outside of CP that Dublin could stop that?

As I said before, if you are from another Leinster county, then it is your own reps, not ours that you need to be looking at :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Clue is in the thread name guys, KERRY GAA Discussion thread. If you want to continue this discussion, by all means create your own thread but it has nothing to do with this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,239 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A lot of Dublin talk on the Kerry thread.

Just listened back to the Terrace Talk show on Radio Kerry.

Main point being made by panelists and listeners alike was the this team is too old and why were younger guys not used more in the league, and now that U21s are done some of the guys that will no long be U21 should be brought in.

I'd agree with all of that. A good number of that team on Sunday have been around for over a decade.

Once Kerry lost their opening games management reverted to tried and trusted guys but rarely went back to youth after Div 1 status was secured.

Clue is in the thread name guys, KERRY GAA Discussion thread. If you want to continue this discussion, by all means create your own thread but it has nothing to do with this one.

Point taken. I had forgotten what thread I was on!

Slán go fóill!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd agree with all of that. A good number of that team on Sunday have been around for over a decade.

Depends on the policy though, if kerry management select the man who's going well in training then that's the way it goes, it has to be fair too. If MOS is traning as hard and out performing a young lad in training he might get picked on that basis. Otherwise what the motivation for the older man. Kerry wanted to win division 1 this year not just stay there imo. Not everyone is happy to be an impact sub, some lads want it all or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Daniel Collins: 'Kerry's hurling tribes have united'
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016

By John Harrington

Kerry has always produced very talented hurlers, but it wasn't always easy to unify them under the one banner.

The county’s eight senior clubs are all from the same small pocket of North Kerry, and co-existing together cheek by jowl produced a really tribal rivalry. Leaving their mutual enmity at the dressing-room door when the players from the rival clubs came together for inter-county duty was often a challenge.

Current team captain Daniel Collins believes one of the reasons the Kingdom hurlers are on the up and up now is because the latest generation of players have forged a common-bond despite their splintered club loyalties.

“I think maybe we discussed that with our psychologist in the last couple of years especially,” admits Collins. “It used to get in the way maybe and affect Kerry hurling because fellas used hate this fella or that because he played for the club next door and they wouldn't pass the ball to him and all of this sort of carry-on.

“That's completely shut down now. The club stuff doesn't matter anymore when you're in with Kerry. Everyone gets on with everyone. And when we go back to the clubs we take each other's heads off, but that's exactly how you want it and that's how fellas like it.

“Those eight clubs, they're all only four or five miles apart, and we'd end up playing each other five or six times a year. It's just crazy, even if the rivalry isn't as bad as it once was. Before fellas used to hold grudges off the field, but now that's gone. The rivalry is there on the pitch and it's hard and it's tough, but as soon as we go off the pitch every fella more or less does get on.”

It helps that most of them have all grown up winning together for both school and county and the experience forged friendships as well as a winning mentality. Collins himself is typical of his generation in so far as he has won a couple of All-Ireland Vocational Schools titles with Coláiste na Sceilge and All-Ireland minor and U-21 'B' titles with Kerry. He and the players he has come up through the ranks with – which constitutes the bulk of this Kerry panel – became so used to winning at underage level that they saw no reason why they should not do the same in the senior grade.

“I suppose every year I've been with Kerry I've nearly won something,” says Collins “Between the Christy Ring last year and the National League two years in a row. And the year before we were in a Christy Ring Final. I suppose we've been breeding success. I know it was a Division below where we are now, but it really gets your confidence up when you keep constantly winning at that level and you start to believe that you're good enough to take the next step.”

They knew for certain they were ready to take that next step when they beat Antrim by a point last April to gain promotion to Division 1B of the Allianz Hurling League this year. The raw emotion and pure joy that spilled from every Kerry player after the final whistle blew in Parnell Park was one of the moments of the 2015 season. Kelly can’t help but smile when reminded of the day.

“Yeah, I think that was the moment every fella realised we are good enough to compete at the next level,” he admits. “The scenes after that game were unbelievable. We were maybe in shock at the same time, it was just unbelievable stuff. Apart from the three or four older lads who are over the 30 mark, most of the rest of us have been all on the same journey together and come through the development system together so it really builds a bond more than anything else.”

That was a landmark win for Kerry, but what has been most impressive about this team is that they were not simply content to have made that piece of history. When the well-regarded Eamon Kelly stepped down as manager at the end of 2015 and opted to take charge of Offaly instead it was easy to believe that Kerry’s stay in Division 1B might be a short and painful one. But instead they have continued to improve as a team under the new coaching ticket of Ciaran Carey and Mark Foley. Not only did they preserve their 1B status, they were very unlucky not to qualify for the League quarter-finals.

“Yeah, I think we've definitely made huge progress under Ciaran and Mark,” says Collins. “The work they've been doing, I suppose they really focus on just keeping the hurling as simple as possible and not try to overdo things and to just cut out the errors. We've been learning from the first day we played Laois to the second day we played Laois and the improvement we made between those two matches was huge.

“I think maybe that day against Wexford it kind of opened our eyes a bit and brought us back down to earth because we were after two good performances against Laois and Limerick. We were riding high at that time and we thought we were slightly a bit better than what we were. But that defeat to Wexford brought us back to reality, and since then we've bounced back.”

They did so in some style by travelling to Offaly and beating the Faithful County in their own back-yard. Anyone who doubted before that game that this Kerry team has the raw talent and ambition to continue making strides forward is now a believer.

“I suppose nobody expected us to beat Offaly,” says Collins. “We went up there and with the way the League was looking it seemed as though we'd be in the relegation match regardless. But then results nearly went the other way. We heard after the game that we were in a quarter-final and we went nuts after the game. But then we got the phone-call that Wexford were after getting a last-minute point. It was a bit of a roller-coaster, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise because we focused again for the (relegation play-off) game against Laois and we put in a great performance that day below in Tralee.

“I suppose that showed our character and our mental strength especially to be able to focus in because we had beat them comfortably enough that day above in Portlaoise. And I suppose if you over-relaxed and thought it would be just a matter of turning up to beat them again then you'd be in trouble, but we didn't, we were unbelievably tuned in and the performance we gave was nice because we haven't produced a great performance at home like that in a long time.”

The only box they have yet to tick this year is an extended run in the Championship. The find themselves in the novel position of being the first ever Munster team to compete in Leinster, but Collins believes that’s an exciting rather than strange prospect. Kerry, Offaly, Westmeath, and Carlow will all play one another in the round-robin phase with the top two teams then proceeding towards quarter-final showdowns with either Galway or Laois.

First up is the visit of Carlow to Tralee on Saturday. The romantics of Kerry hurling would probably prefer to see their team hosting the likes of Tipperary or Cork in the Munster Senior Championship someday soon, but Collins believes this is the perfect reintroduction to the Liam MacCarthy Cup for the Kingdom.

“I don't think the four teams should be just thrown into the Championship,” he says. “I think it's a great way to get your Championship going and see where you are. And if you're good enough to come through you're good enough, and if you're not, you're not.

“I think we've had a number over Westmeath and Carlow for the last couple of years so they will definitely be gunning for us. Westmeath are going well and Carlow are doing fairly well as well. I think Offaly after what we did the last day will be out for us as well.

“I think it's going to be very even and it's too tough to call who's going to come out of it. I suppose Offaly are the favourites, but I think there's going to be nothing in it. We're just going in with the attitude of taking it one game at a time. We don't want to get carried away or get caught up with what's being written in the papers.

“Ciaran (Carey) tells us not to read the papers or listen to the radio. I suppose we have bought into that and we've stayed tuned in. All we're focused on is taking it game by game. We're not talking about the Leinster Championship at all, all we're talking about is the Carlow game on Saturday. And I think that's very, very important because there won't be much between the teams.”

http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/daniel-collins-kerry-hurling-tribes-have-united/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

If anyone missed the match on Sunday this picture sum up our day :P

Kerry-Dublin-2016-22.jpg

Frustrated star Tommy Walsh set to quit Kerry panel

Thursday, April 28, 2016

By Tony Leen
    Sports Editor

Tommy Walsh is poised to quit the Kerry football squad amid growing frustration at his lack of game time with the Kingdom, the Irish Examiner understands.

The Kerins O’Rahilly man was an unused substitute in last Sunday’s Allianz league final defeat to Dublin on a day Kerry used their full allowance of six replacements.

It may have been the final straw for the Kerins O’Rahillys man, who also saw no game time in last September’s All-Ireland final defeat to Dublin.

Since his return from Australia ahead of the 2015 campaign, Walsh’s time with Kerry has been pockmarked by frustration, as he struggled to pin down a place in midfield or at full-forward, where he excelled in the 2009 All-Ireland final.

He produced an impressive cameo in the facile All-Ireland quarter-final win over Kildare last August, but even with two starts in this year’s League against Dublin in January and Roscommon a week later, he has been unable to force his way up the pecking order, with Valentia newcomer Brendan O’Sullivan seemingly ahead of him in terms of game time.

The Kerry squad has been given this week off by manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice before preparations begin for their defence of the Munster Championship with a June clash against the winners of Clare and Limerick.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/frustrated-star-tommy-walsh-set-to-quit-kerry-panel-395480.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

DDC1990 wrote: »
    If anyone missed the match on Sunday this picture sum up our day :P

Kerry-Dublin-2016-22.jpg

I see what everyone sees....Donaghy holding COS's shirt and not letting go ... :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I see that schneaky divil Donaghy, trying to give O'Sullivan a dig in the ribs and, O'Sullivan trying to defend himself. Doesn't everyone? :D

Frustrated star Tommy Walsh set to quit Kerry panel

Thursday, April 28, 2016

By Tony Leen
    Sports Editor

Tommy Walsh is poised to quit the Kerry football squad amid growing frustration at his lack of game time with the Kingdom, the Irish Examiner understands.

The Kerins O’Rahilly man was an unused substitute in last Sunday’s Allianz league final defeat to Dublin on a day Kerry used their full allowance of six replacements.

It may have been the final straw for the Kerins O’Rahillys man, who also saw no game time in last September’s All-Ireland final defeat to Dublin.

Since his return from Australia ahead of the 2015 campaign, Walsh’s time with Kerry has been pockmarked by frustration, as he struggled to pin down a place in midfield or at full-forward, where he excelled in the 2009 All-Ireland final.

He produced an impressive cameo in the facile All-Ireland quarter-final win over Kildare last August, but even with two starts in this year’s League against Dublin in January and Roscommon a week later, he has been unable to force his way up the pecking order, with Valentia newcomer Brendan O’Sullivan seemingly ahead of him in terms of game time.

The Kerry squad has been given this week off by manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice before preparations begin for their defence of the Munster Championship with a June clash against the winners of Clare and Limerick.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/frustrated-star-tommy-walsh-set-to-quit-kerry-panel-395480.html

Said it once he came back that he souldn't have been brought back into the panel until he proved his worth at club level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Tommy Walsh formally now has quit the panel

https://twitter.com/tonyleen/status/725635201762742273

Sad to see him leave, he'd give you the sharp inhale of breath when you'd see him warming up on the sideline against ya...

But i'd agree with most commentary that parachuting back into a solid team was a bad start for him. He should have proved himself at club level on his return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

cms88 wrote:
    Said it once he came back that he souldn't have been brought back into the panel until he proved his worth at club level.

Outside of being from Kerry we don't really get a view of his club form.
    I thought he was possibly marginly poorly treated, used to boost the kerry bench it was a bit of mind games imo. You could see Brendan O'Sullivan coming into games where he might have been given a go, the writing was on the wall as Brendan gets around very well for a big man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Is he struggling getting going with KOR or is that just talk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I wonder does Tommy have any Tyrone blood? I'd absolutely love to have him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I thought he did fairly well against the Dubs on the opening day and seems to have fell out of favour after that. Regarding club form there are plenty of players I could name that dont try too hard or stand out for their clubs either

Leinster Senior Hurling Championship Round Robin Series Round 1

The Kerry Senior Hurling Team to play Carlow in the Leinster Senior Hurling Championship Round Robin Group, Round 1, at Tralee’s Austin Stack Park on Sunday next (1pm) shows two changes in personnel from the side that defeated Laois in the Allianz Hurling League Playoff – Colum Harty comes into the half forward line instead of Brendan O’Leary and Jack Goulding starts in the corner instead of Jordan Conway

The team captained by Daniel Collins of Kilmoyley lines out as follows:

1. Aidan McCabe Kilmoyley

2. Bryan Murphy Causeway

3. Patrick Kelly Clarecastle

4. Keith Carmody Causeway

5. Jason Diggins Causeway

6. Darren Dineen St Brendans

7. Tom Murnane Kilmoyley

8. John Griffin Lixnaw

9. Daniel Collins(C) Kilmoyley

10. Colum Harty Causeway

11. Michael O’Leary Abbeydorney

12. Shane Nolan Crotta O’Neills

13. Jack Goulding Ballyduff

14. Mikey Boyle Ballyduff

15. John Egan St Brendans

Fir Ionaid:

16. Martin Stackpoole Lixnaw

17. Brendan Brosnan Lixnaw

18. John Buckley Lixnaw

19. Tommy Casey Causeway

20. Paudie O’Connor Kilmoyley

21. Jordan Conway Crotta O’Neills

22. Dougie Fitzelle Kilmoyley

23. Brendan O’Leary Abbeydorney

24. Philip Lucid Ballyheigue

25. James O’Connor Abbeydorney

26. Sean Weir Crotta O’Neills

Bainistíocht:

Bainisteoir: Ciaran Carey (Patrickswell)

Coach/Selector: Mark Foley (Adare)

Treanálaí: Damien Ryall (Abbeydorney)

Róghnoirí: James McCarthy (Kilmoyley), Michael Conway (Lixnaw)

Additional Players on Panel

Darragh Shanahan Lixnaw

Jordon Brick Kilmoyley

P J Keane Abbeydorney

Mike Milner Dr Crokes

Sean Weir Crotta O’Neills

Rory Horgan St Brendans

Stephen Murphy Causeway

Fionan Horgan St Brendans

Joseph Diggins Causeway

The Ballyduff pair, Paud Costelloe and Padraig Boyle, are rehabbing from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Leinster Senior Hurling Championship Round Robin Series Round 1

The Kerry Senior Hurling Team to play Carlow in the Leinster Senior Hurling Championship Round Robin Group, Round 1, at Tralee s Austin Stack Park on Sunday next (1pm) shows two changes in personnel from the side that defeated Laois in the Allianz Hurling League Playoff Colum Harty comes into the half forward line instead of Brendan O Leary and Jack Goulding starts in the corner instead of Jordan Conway

The team captained by Daniel Collins of Kilmoyley lines out as follows:

1. Aidan McCabe Kilmoyley

2. Bryan Murphy Causeway

3. Patrick Kelly Clarecastle

4. Keith Carmody Causeway

5. Jason Diggins Causeway

6. Darren Dineen St Brendans

7. Tom Murnane Kilmoyley

8. John Griffin Lixnaw

9. Daniel Collins(C) Kilmoyley

10. Colum Harty Causeway

11. Michael O Leary Abbeydorney

12. Shane Nolan Crotta O Neills

13. Jack Goulding Ballyduff

14. Mikey Boyle Ballyduff

15. John Egan St Brendans

Fir Ionaid:

16. Martin Stackpoole Lixnaw

17. Brendan Brosnan Lixnaw

18. John Buckley Lixnaw

19. Tommy Casey Causeway

20. Paudie O Connor Kilmoyley

21. Jordan Conway Crotta O Neills

22. Dougie Fitzelle Kilmoyley

23. Brendan O Leary Abbeydorney

24. Philip Lucid Ballyheigue

25. James O Connor Abbeydorney

26. Sean Weir Crotta O Neills

Bainist ocht:

Bainisteoir: Ciaran Carey (Patrickswell)

Coach/Selector: Mark Foley (Adare)

Trean la : Damien Ryall (Abbeydorney)

R ghnoir : James McCarthy (Kilmoyley), Michael Conway (Lixnaw)

Additional Players on Panel

Darragh Shanahan Lixnaw

Jordon Brick Kilmoyley

P J Keane Abbeydorney

Mike Milner Dr Crokes

Sean Weir Crotta O Neills

Rory Horgan St Brendans

Stephen Murphy Causeway

Fionan Horgan St Brendans

Joseph Diggins Causeway

The Ballyduff pair, Paud Costelloe and Padraig Boyle, are rehabbing from injury.
    Did anyone see the six one feature on Kerry hurlers, they had the introduction about their first game in the Leinster and then had the report...except it was from a few years ago when john meyler was manager and they were preparing for the christy ring final, monumental cockup but just shows the attention the rte sports department shows the early rounds of the championship...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Chiarrai_abu

Tommy Walsh deserves great credit for his heroics in 2009.
    He had a super game in the final. He scored some great points on the day and was young player of the year that year.
    Fair play to him. Thanks Tommy for all your contribution to Kerry football.
    Beat of luck to you in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,239 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not the first time this year that editorial oversight has been lacking when a national media outlet has been commenting on the Kerry hurlers.

With dual star Johnny Buckley be playing I wonder :)

• Advertisement

Not the first time this year that editorial oversight has been lacking when a national media outlet has been commenting on the Kerry hurlers.

With dual star Johnny Buckley be playing I wonder :)

Ah yes,no wonder Johnny got injured :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement