Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah saw that. I live a 5 minute walk from the stadium. Delighted.

It won't be the numbers at a Kerry-Cork game but shure the games in Killarney are always handy.

Juniors haunted to get the win and the Seniors won in what was a bit of a non-event after the early goals. In fairness to Clare they kept plugging away when they could have thrown in the towel - wouldn't be to surprised if they had a decent enough run in the qualifiers given their positive attitude.

I'd say any Dubs who were looking on wouldn't have been very concerned by today - still it's only June and early round games like today are for winning and getting out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

17 points is is decent enough return given how much they were outclassed. Could be enough to win a couple of games in the qualifier series.

Everyone losing their heads about Cork losing saying it won't be the same as Kerry-Cork etc. Tipp will bring their own passionate support to Killarney. How often do they get to see a Munster final in Killarney. They'll be here in force imo.

Still, always nice to see Cork beat and pile more misery on them.

17 points is is decent enough return given how much they were outclassed. Could be enough to win a cou.ple of games in the qualifier series.

Everyone losing their heads about Cork losing saying it won't be the same as Kerry-Cork etc. Tipp will bring their own passionate support to Killarney. How often do they get to see a Munster final in Killarney. They'll be here in force imo.

Still, always nice to see Cork beat and pile more misery on them.

In a game that looked over by the first 5 minutes, I thought Clare showed good spirit to the end - ok the pace and intensity was a bit lacking but there was no real sign of any Clare player throwing in the towel.

Yeah but there just isn't the same amount of footballer supporters in Tipp.

There was less than 3000 at the game in Thurles today.

3k is fairly shocking when there was 10k and more for Kerry last year there.

3k is fairly shocking when there was 10k and more for Kerry last year there.

I think all the lads missing from last year probably had a big impact on the crowd. That and a mixed enough league campaign probably kept a lot of folk at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

tipp will give kerry a better game then clare today i feel , they are further down the line we have an awful lot of young lads in our side that are probably a few years away yet , tipp will be solid enough in there efforts in the final but ye will win i have no doubt

how many players put there hand up for kerry today , stephan o 'brien had a great first half , donaghy had a great game where ever he was put , but the groans around the ground for michael geaney and david moran after mistakes after there introductions would suggest they are on borrowed time, young begley did really well on podge before the black card too looks like a really decent prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Agree on O'Beaglaoich. He shadowed Podge Collins excellently. While Collins looked dangerous, he never got to deliver on any serious threat, because Brian was touch tight.

Looked shagged though. After every break in play he had his hands on his knees getting air in. Marking Collins will do that to you i'd say. A relieved man after the black card (which was a yellow card IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Any sign of the Kerry team v Tipp lads?

80s Child wrote: »

The Kerry GAA website maybe??

1. Brian Kelly (Killarney Legion)

2. Shane Enright (Tarbert)

3. Mark Griffin (St Michaels/Foilmore)

4. Killian Young (Renard)

5. Brian Ó Beaglaoich (An Ghaeltacht)

6. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)

7. Tadhg Morley (Templenoe)

8. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)

9. Bryan Sheehan (C) (St Marys)

10. Paul Murphy (Rathmore)

11. Colm Cooper (Dr Crokes)

12. Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane)

13. Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh-Glencar)

14. Paul Geaney (Dingle)

15. Stephen O’Brien (Kenmare)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The Kerry GAA website maybe??

1. Brian Kelly (Killarney Legion)

2. Shane Enright (Tarbert)

3. Mark Griffin (St Michaels/Foilmore)

4. Killian Young (Renard)

5. Brian Ó Beaglaoich (An Ghaeltacht)

6. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)

7. Tadhg Morley (Templenoe)

8. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)

9. Bryan Sheehan (C) (St Marys)

10. Paul Murphy (Rathmore)

11. Colm Cooper (Dr Crokes)

12. Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane)

13. Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh-Glencar)

14. Paul Geaney (Dingle)

15. Stephen O’Brien (Kenmare)

16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    17. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    18. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    19. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    20. Michael Geaney Dingle
    21. Anthony Maher Duagh
    22. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    23. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    24. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion
    25. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
    26. Padraig O’Connor Killarney Legion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

80s Child wrote:

No changes for Kerry ahead of Munster final with Premier http://the42.ie/2857748

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Just enquiring about Crowley; against Clare, did he stay at 6, holding the fort, or did he push on at all?

I'll be honest, I'm thinking that he'll score and that it is a good bet, but he didn't score against Clare and that's what's worrying me.

Mods: if you want to delete this, if it is against the charter, by all means do so. I've posted something similar in the Gambling thread, it just hasn't gotten any traction.

80s Child wrote:
    Just enquiring about Crowley; against Clare, did he stay at 6, holding the fort, or did he push on at all?

Crowley held back against Clare, rarely leaving the half.

With Sheehan and Donaghy around the middle, we don't have the pace to track back so Crowley holds the fort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

All the best to both Kerry teams tomorrow.

Shocking start. Came back with ease. Hope to push on.

Cooper looks like he's done his shoulder or collar bone

Stupid goals leaked.

Happu enough with the win, but poor performance really.

Another Munster Championship on the bag.

David Clifford's goal for the Minors wad worth the entrance fee alone.

He's turning 17 on the 22nd of July. Crazy talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

DDC1990 wrote: »

He's turning 17 on the 22nd of July. Crazy talent.

robbed of an all ireland medal last september by a stupid rule stopping him of playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I'm dissappointed he took O Beaglaoich off so early (unless did he pick up a knock?). We want him in there playing games and getting experience. There's not much point in giving Mahoney another go, he'll just be exposed again in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Any word on coopers injury? Was disappointing to see him go off so early.

• Advertisement

I'm dissappointed he took O Beaglaoich off so early (unless did he pick up a knock?). We want him in there playing games and getting experience. There's not much point in giving Mahoney another go, he'll just be exposed again in August.

A cheap shot to the kidneys more like. I'm convinced the linesman saw it too. :rolleyes:

I though Morley looked right at home - very assured for a lad who was starting his second senior game.

The main positive was how the newer lads were doing were - the main negative was how the older more experienced lads played. Very hard to see a fair few of the older lads having the legs to get around Croke Park in any sort of game with serious intensity and pace.

I thought Tipp definitely missed a trick by not playing with greater intensity and speed - the short kickouts and slow patient buildup suited this Kerry team just grand; the occasions when Tipp threatened were pretty much all when they moved the ball quickly. I can't see more serious teams using a similar type of game-plan.

The minors look like they are a serious contender again this year and will be hard beat you'd imagine - Clifford was just a joy to watch yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,239 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

mickeyk wrote: »
    Any word on coopers injury? Was disappointing to see him go off so early.

RTE are saying dislocated collar bone, out of QF at the very least

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    A cheap shot to the kidneys more like. I'm convinced the linesman saw it too. :rolleyes:

I though Morley looked right at home - very assured for a lad who was starting his second senior game.

The main positive was how the newer lads were doing were - the main negative was how the older more experienced lads played. Very hard to see a fair few of the older lads having the legs to get around Croke Park in any sort of game with serious intensity and pace.

I thought Tipp definitely missed a trick by not playing with greater intensity and speed - the short kickouts and slow patient buildup suited this Kerry team just grand; the occasions when Tipp threatened were pretty much all when they moved the ball quickly. I can't see more serious teams using a similar type of game-plan.

The minors look like they are a serious contender again this year and will be hard beat you'd imagine - Clifford was just a joy to watch yesterday.

In the lead up to the first goal? He definitely quietened after that allright. Fair enough so but still a pity Mahoney had most of a full game and Lyne etc only got the few minutes.

Yep Morley very assured, nothing fantastic but settling in nicely. Great to see Paul Geaney back to his best as well.

I thought our weakest line by far was the half-forwards. Tipps two best attackers were their wing backs. I don't know if Donncha offers much anymore, maybe his legs are going a bit or maybe everyone else is just as fit as him these days. I'm still not sure about Murphy in the forwards either - he's still the best defender in the county i think. We've plenty willing lads in the forwards.

Maybe they're still just in training mode, looked like heavy legs i thought.

In the lead up to the first goal? He definitely quietened after that allright. Fair enough so but still a pity Mahoney had most of a full game and Lyne etc only got the few minutes.

Yup.

O'Mahoney played the full game and Sheehan played until the 66th minute, which was head-puzzling stuff.

Maybe the injury to Cooper and the blow to Beaglaoich meant Eamonn was a bit restricted with his subs but still - I don't think either of them have even a full half of Croke Park football in them never mind 70 plus minutes based on yesterday's performance.

RTE are saying dislocated collar bone, out of QF at the very least

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0704/800094-gooch/

Quotes from Sean O'Sullivan, so not good. :(
    ]However, the Gooch's former Kerry team-mate Sean O'Sullivan, told RTÉ GAA Podcast Jones' Road that the 33-year-old's collarbone had "popped out" and that he was "definitely" out of Kerry's last-eight date on the the weekend of 30/31 July.

"It's not good," O'Sullivan, who won four All-Ireland titles with Kerry, said. "I met Colm after the game yesterday down the town. He was wearing it in a sling.
    "His collarbone popped out, his AC (joint). You won't see him for a quarter-final. Definitely not.
    "He's going for a scan today. He's hoping (to make) a semi-final I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Fitzmaurices decisions get more and more bizzare as time goes on.

If mikey geany is our first choice sub then we are in for a disappointing year. Also dunno why there ain't more young lads in, yesterday and Clare was the ideal time to bring them in, yet the panel of 26 has 1 lad under 20 which is bizzare.

A lot of poor performances from the big names yesterday, some need to be dropped to wake them up.

Fitzmaurices decisions get more and more bizzare as time goes on.

If mikey geany is our first choice sub then we are in for a disappointing year. Also dunno why there ain't more young lads in, yesterday and Clare was the ideal time to bring them in, yet the panel of 26 has 1 lad under 20 which is bizzare.

A lot of poor performances from the big names yesterday, some need to be dropped to wake them up.

One excuse that could be given is that Moran, Maher, James OD, were only starting back and needed game time and add to that that Crowley, O Beaglaoich and Gooch were injured - so straight away that's six changes the management had to factor in. In that situation you can see the temptation not to throw young lads in.
    Like yourself though, I think some of the big names badly want a rocket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

I'm wondering if there is any truth to this? Or is it still too early to speculate whom we might play next? Bad news is none of them are likely offer much resistance like Kildare last year. Good news is one of the other heavy hitters might meet Dublin in the quarter final, should Dublin overcome Westmeath. More bad than good news I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,239 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm wondering if there is any truth to this? Or is it still too early to speculate whom we might play next? Bad news is none of them are likely offer much resistance like Kildare last year. Good news is one of the other heavy hitters might meet Dublin in the quarter final, should Dublin overcome Westmeath. More bad than good news I'm afraid.

Yea that's spot on.

Unless its Cavan or Roscommon it will be a cake walk, and even Cavan or Roscommon should be straight forward enough

• Advertisement

Yeah it's correct - the teams Kerry can meet in the quarter-final are

Roscommon
    Galway
    Derry
    Laois
    Cavan
    Meath
    Clare
    Sligo
    Carlow

Things will become clearer after this weekend - the list of possible opponents will be down to 5 from these options.

loser of Galway/Roscommon
    winner of Clare v Laois
    winner of Derry v Meath
    winner of Cavan v Carlow
    Sligo

The winners of the 3 remaining qualifier games plus Sligo will be randomly drawn out for 2 games and play off, then the 2 winners of these will be drawn against the 2 losers of the Munster and Connacht finals. We can't play Tipp again as we have already played them in the Munster final.

Could easily be a quarter-final against Galway(2014) or Cavan(2013) again.

The current PP odds on the various teams to reach a quarter-final are

Galway 1/6
    Roscommon 1/6
    Cavan 13/8
    Meath 4/1
    Laois 6/1
    Derry 6/1
    Sligo 8/1
    Clare 14/1
    Carlow 80/1

Galway and Roscommon's odds are much shorter as all they can get to a quarter by either winning their next game, or losing their next game and winning the game after that. The 6 of Cavan, Meath, Laois, Derry, Clare and Carlow have to win their next 3 games to get to a quarter -Sligo's odds are a bit shorter as they only have to win 2 in a row.

Add Tipp to this list and you have 2 of the quarter-finalists.

The other side of the draw is definitely a bit tougher imo.

Dublin 1/500
    Tyrone 1/9
    Donegal 3/10
    Mayo 8/13
    Cork 6/4
    Monaghan 6/4
    Westmeath 7/2
    Offaly 12/1
    Kildare 16/1
    Fermanagh 20/1
    Longford 33/1
    Wexford 50/1
    Limerick 50/1

2 of these teams will qualify for the quarters as provincial winners but even if you take Dublin and one of Tyrone or Donegal out that is the tougher side of the draw imo.

Doubt you would have too many people betting against a Dublin v Kerry semi-final come the end of August.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement