Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

anyone got any thoughts on sunday (v derry in tralee)?
    thoughts on starting 15?

would like to see anthony maher get a run in mid-field (if he's fit enough).
    we'll miss paul on the half-forward line...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

I would have been no lover of Galvin in the past, but I admired him for the way he came back to win player of the year last year.
    The ban is a joke and if I was him I would be very disillusioned. Unfortunately he is paying for previous indiscretions and will be a marked man in the future by opponents, referees and commitees!
    On a side note our local radio Shannonside Radio (Roscommon, Leitrim, and Longford) issued an apology to John Egan's family on Tuesday, having announced his death on Monday due to an accident at home!
    This is the same radio station that congratulated us on our three-in-a-row after we had lost our 3rd County Hurling final in succesion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

patmac wrote: »
    On a side note our local radio Shannonside Radio (Roscommon, Leitrim, and Longford) issued an apology to John Egan's family on Tuesday, having announced his death on Monday due to an accident at home!

Disgraceful stuff :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭crebel81

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's not a stupid comment.

He's saying the incident we are talking about was tame in the extreme. Many people agree.

It's a discussion about the appropriateness of the severity of Paul Galvin's ban for the incident in the recent National League game.

You bringing up the Tadhg Kennelly incident of all things would lead me to suggest you do a bit more work on your own comments before meting out judgements of other peoples' comments being stupid.

fair enough...but why mention Ulster teams when he is making the argument???? Is that meant to back up what he is saying in some way??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

PaulieC wrote: »
    More like giving a dog with a bad name a ridiculous ban for a minor scuffle

Cadogen got the same ban as Galvin. Galvin's was doubled because it was the second time he was sent off in 48 weeks. Both of them were to blame, though it probably should have been a pair of yellow's rather than reds as there was no definite striking action.

They both appealed, were both turned down, time to get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I could not echo your thoughts more! If it happened to any other player it would not be an issue but Saint Galvin...get over it. Are Cork people up in arms over Cadogans red card? Don't think so. Galvins was his second within 48 weeks and therefore he got what was coming to him, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

ShamoBuck wrote: »
    I could not echo your thoughts more! If it happened to any other player it would not be an issue but Saint Galvin...get over it. Are Cork people up in arms over Cadogans red card? Don't think so. Galvins was his second within 48 weeks and therefore he got what was coming to him, plain and simple.
    Rebel people are not up in arms because ye got exactly what ye wanted. Kerry's star out of action for 2 months, and ye loose an important, but altogether replacable Cadigan. Also, from video evidence, Cadigan clearly instigated the incident, by rugby tackling Galvin a mile off the ball. So why would ye complain. Ye're delighted by this turn of events. If it was the other way around, and someone like Pádraig Reidy took Goulding out off the ball, there would be a bloody strike about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Rebel people are not up in arms because ye got exactly what ye wanted. Kerry's star out of action for 2 months, and ye loose an important, but altogether replacable Cadigan. Also, from video evidence, Cadigan clearly instigated the incident, by rugby tackling Galvin a mile off the ball. So why would ye complain. Ye're delighted by this turn of events. If it was the other way around, and someone like Pádraig Reidy took Goulding out off the ball, there would be a bloody strike about it.

Obviously not, Galvin didn't get cleared, imo they were both at fault, there was previous incidents as well that triggered the incident that they both got sent off in. He got 8 weeks because he got himself into the situation where it was his second red in 48 weeks. I'm not delighted about it, because I would have like Cadogen to be around to be tried in the back line, tbh I couldn't care less about Galvin and his stupid antics, the "Footballer of the Year" should set an example, and within the Kerry camp he is an older player, and should grow up and act like it.

A previous poster stated that they thought Galvin could keep his cool if he wanted to, I agree. a supposedly intelligent guy, he knows teams are gonna try and wind him up because his reputation, and I think he could keep his cool if he wanted, but he doesn't. But his reputation came from being sent off for stupid things such as being wound up and lashing out, vicious cycle that he has created and could stop very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Obviously not, Galvin didn't get cleared, imo they were both at fault, there was previous incidents as well that triggered the incident that they both got sent off in. He got 8 weeks because he got himself into the situation where it was his second red in 48 weeks. I'm not delighted about it, because I would have like Cadogen to be around to be tried in the back line, tbh I couldn't care less about Galvin and his stupid antics, the "Footballer of the Year" should set an example, and within the Kerry camp he is an older player, and should grow up and act like it.

A previous poster stated that they thought Galvin could keep his cool if he wanted to, I agree. a supposedly intelligent guy, he knows teams are gonna try and wind him up because his reputation, and I think he could keep his cool if he wanted, but he doesn't. But his reputation came from being sent off for stupid things such as being wound up and lashing out, vicious cycle that he has created and could stop very easily.

I think there's a fair bit of truth in this post.

The only thing I'd argue about is whether or not he really "got himself into the situation".

If you watch the footage, he was clearly set upon by another player and doesn't really do a whole lot in terms of a supposed retaliation either.

There is an argument that he really didn't do anything to warrent being sent off in the first place since all that happened was someone jumped on top of him off the ball.

There's a much stronger case for Cadogan to have been sent off on his own, and I think if the same incident had happened with Declan O'Sullivan for example then it would have either been the Cork man sent to the line alone, or neither player.

The issue here is that Galvin's past actions led to him being red carded in the first place, not that it led to a doubling of his suspension which was automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Yawn...I'm bored about talking and reading about Galvin's sending off. On a related topic I bet he was glad he was on the line in Knockagree to watch the Sem win.

Back to today's game a lot of positives
    Quirke's fielding at midfield
    Star's fielding at full forward
    Gooch is back and showed his class from free kicks
    Anthony Maher is back and is showing the form he showed in the league last year
    David Moran is showing what a class footballer he can be
    Mark O'Se is back and played a stormer on the wing
    Kilcummin keeper was solid

Balance this up by some negatives
    Scanlon was poor and was rightly taken off
    Griffin/Reidy was poor in the full back line

Altogether not a bad day at the office, we have 2 points in the bag and the show looks to be back on the road. Bring on Galway next week!

• Advertisement

manster wrote: »
    Yawn...I'm bored about talking and reading about Galvin's sending off. On a related topic I bet he was glad he was on the line in Knockagree to watch the Sem win.

Back to today's game a lot of positives
    Quirke's fielding at midfield
    Star's fielding at full forward
    Gooch is back and showed his class from free kicks
    Anthony Maher is back and is showing the form he showed in the league last year
    David Moran is showing what a class footballer he can be
    Mark O'Se is back and played a stormer on the wing
    Kilcummin keeper was solid

Balance this up by some negatives
    Scanlon was poor and was rightly taken off
    Griffin/Reidy was poor in the full back line

Altogether not a bad day at the office, we have 2 points in the bag and the show looks to be back on the road. Bring on Galway next week!

Decent performance today. Would fancy our chances against Galway next week. Decent performance from Moran. Good to see Maher and Sheehan back.

Galvin had a good day with the Sem winning Munster Colleges anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ya, impressive yesterday at times, we played well for two 5 minute spells, kicked 8 points in those spells and won the game.

alot of positives. having tom sullivan, Marc, Gooch, Darran, Sheehan all back makes a difference. only need Galvin, Thomas and Mike to come back now and we are sorted. when you consider we are still strong and have lost 4 or 5 players plus the likes of brosnan, mike frank etc, tis easy to see why this team has been in 6 all irelands in a row.

biggest positive is Star looked hungry and bodes well for the year. he can and will barring injury fill the Tommy Walsh void and hopefully Sheehan and Moran can fill the Tadhg and Darragh O Shea gap. the rest of the team is the same, superb save from Keely yesterday, one of the best ive seen in a long long time. that won us the game IMO.

so we got the win against derry.
    galway looked good enough against cork on friday night.
    given that the weather will be good ... it looks all set for a cracking game on sunday in pearse stadium... looking forward to it.
    fresca wrote: »
    we probably need at least 6 points to stay up.

at home to derry on 7th march is a must win
    away to galway on 14th march is a should win
    at home to mayo on 21 march is a probable loss (given how well mayo are going), but a win would be a big bonus
    away to tyrone on march 27 will be interesting
    at home to monaghan on 11 april is a must win

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I think we could well win the remaining games to be honest. It could get really scrappy at the bottom.

Squad taking another hit. Fingers crossed he can come back later on.
    I'd imagine this pretty much hands Kealy the keeper's jersery. Presume Mac an tSaoir will be the backup keeper now.

Just looking at the list of players we've lost from the squad from 2009, I think the overall strength of the squad has taken a big hit. The first fifteen looks solid enough but injuries/suspensions could have a big influence.

Diarmuid Murphy
    Darragh O Se
    Sean O'Sullivan
    Tommy Walsh
    Tadgh Kennelly
    Mike Frank Russell
    Eoin Brosnan
    Ger Reidy

Mike McCarthy (looking very doubtful)
    Reidy quits Kerry panel
    Wednesday March 10 2010

GAELIC GAMES: Ger Reidy, a top contender to take over from Diarmuid Murphy as Kerry's No 1 goalkeeper, has left the panel.

The 24 year-old wishes to concentrate on his studies. He played against Dublin in the NFL first round, but was replaced by Brendan Kealy for the game against Cork. Kealy retained his place for last Sunday's clash with Derry, during which he brought off a spectacular first-half save.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/reidy-quits-kerry-panel-2093511.html?from=dailynews

Squad taking another hit. Fingers crossed he can come back later on.
    I'd imagine this pretty much hands Kealy the keeper's jersery. Presume Mac an tSaoir will be the backup keeper now.

Just looking at the list of players we've lost from the squad from 2009, I think the overall strength of the squad has taken a big hit. The first fifteen looks solid enough but injuries/suspensions could have a big influence.

Diarmuid Murphy
    Darragh O Se
    Sean O'Sullivan
    Tommy Walsh
    Tadgh Kennelly
    Mike Frank Russell
    Eoin Brosnan
    Ger Reidy

Mike McCarthy (looking very doubtful)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/reidy-quits-kerry-panel-2093511.html?from=dailynews

Brendan Kealy is an extremely talented goalkeeper anyway, I'm not convinced Ger Reidy is much of a loss in the grand scheme of things...

keane2097 wrote: »
    Brendan Kealy is an extremely talented goalkeeper anyway, I'm not convinced Ger Reidy is much of a loss in the grand scheme of things...

It's about competition though, isn't it.... reidy / keally putting pressure on each other...

yes we have lost a significant amount of experience .... and we'll probably lose another 4 at the end of this season.... but now is the time for the likes of moran / maher, etc, etc to step up and make their names as inter county players...

It's about competition though, isn't it.... reidy / keally putting pressure on each other...

yes we have lost a significant amount of experience .... and we'll probably lose another 4 at the end of this season.... but now is the time for the likes of moran / maher, etc, etc to step up and make their names as inter county players...

Meh, not convinced about that argument at all.

When was the last time a Kerry goalkeeper was dropped?

If anything it's the one position on the pitch where you want the player to feel comfortable and assured of his place imo.

Agree completely, Kealy has looked the better keeper tbh. As for the turnover in players the "filler" departing, while not ideal, isn't a bodyblow. Realistically we'd have been looking for someone to step up to take over from Dara this season anyway. The real kick in the guts is Tadgh and Tommy going. Still though, I wouldn't back against us playing in Croker in August.

Jack's turned around the squad before, its just another opportunity for fellas to prove themselves before they might have expected to.

Kealy
    Marc
    Griffin
    Tom Sull
    Tomas
    ?
    Killian
    Seamus
    ?
    The Gal
    Declan
    Darren
    Gooch
    Star
    ?

Obviously two main positions to be filled there are centre back and centre field but personally we've got two candidates there already, Aidan O'Mahony and David Moran.

I'd love to see O'Mahony make centre back his own. He deserves a shot at redemption at what have frankly been two poxy years for him since the moment he hit the deck against Cork.

interesting.
    not sure that darran will stay on the '40'.

maybe david moran in the half forward line? ... though he's probably not a wing forward...

big opportunity for anthony maher in midfield?
    maybe barry john walsh in the corner? would like to see how he would link up with star.

Kingdom wrote: »
    Agree completely, Kealy has looked the better keeper tbh. As for the turnover in players the "filler" departing, while not ideal, isn't a bodyblow. Realistically we'd have been looking for someone to step up to take over from Dara this season anyway. The real kick in the guts is Tadgh and Tommy going. Still though, I wouldn't back against us playing in Croker in August.

Jack's turned around the squad before, its just another opportunity for fellas to prove themselves before they might have expected to.

Kealy
    Marc
    Griffin
    Tom Sull
    Tomas
    ?
    Killian
    Seamus
    ?
    The Gal
    Declan
    Darren
    Gooch
    Star
    ?

Obviously two main positions to be filled there are centre back and centre field but personally we've got two candidates there already, Aidan O'Mahony and David Moran.

I'd love to see O'Mahony make centre back his own. He deserves a shot at redemption at what have frankly been two poxy years for him since the moment he hit the deck against Cork.

• Advertisement

i was in pearse stadium yesterday.
    have to be happy with the result, but i thought galway folded once meehan left the field.
    interestingly we ended up with moran and maher midfield... a portent of the years ahead?

david o'callaghan was excellent.
    declan sullivan grabed the game by the scruff of the neck and was simply outstanding.

looking forward to mayo this weekend. i think that this will be a tough game given how well mayo are playing.
    with cork & dublin playing each other, the top 4 play each other this w/end.
    if dublin and kerry win, it would leave kerry in 2nd place with 2 games to go.

let's not get ahead of ourselves, but win the remaining 3 games and we could be in the league final ... now that would be some return for the younger players...

Thanks for that Fresca. I have to say I've never heard of David O'Callaghan before the league but he seems to be a good addition (where did he come from?). O'Connell played well too I heard, which is a big boost because frankly, I don't believe Padraig Reidy is up to it, and the more quality backs we can get the better.

I well believe we'll take Mayo the weekend which leaves Tyrone and Monaghan. A win against the Mayomen and anything is possible. I'd be surprised if Kerry aren't in with a big shout after next weekend. Nice to see a bit of momentum too what with the U21's unexpected win.

Kingdom wrote: »
    Thanks for that Fresca. I have to say I've never heard of David O'Callaghan before the league but he seems to be a good addition (where did he come from?). O'Connell played well too I heard, which is a big boost because frankly, I don't believe Padraig Reidy is up to it, and the more quality backs we can get the better.

David O'Callaghan played underage but was injured for a fair bit lately I think.
    Also playing with Blennerville he's not exactly in among the bigger clubs.

I'm sick to death of saying it but Reidy should be played in the half-back line. He's not defensive enough minded for the full-back line and he plays either half-back or centre-back for his club. Sadly the options in the full-back line aren't all that great in terms of cover.

Mayo game the next day should be a good enough game with the way they are going this year.

Nice one MM; I'd a quick look there on the KCB Forum and found a bit about him.

I'm thinking of making the trip to Healy Park in Omagh on Sat week.
    Anyone travelled up there before?
    What route did you take?
    How long was the trip etc?

thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

I'm thinking of making the trip to Healy Park in Omagh on Sat week.
    Good we'll need all the support we can get. I expect a fairly lively affair - they have been in the past
    Anyone travelled up there before?
    Yes was in Healy Park twice both league matches and both times we had frosty receptions
    What route did you take?
    Depends where you're coming from :cool:
    Kerry Via Athlone is shorter but via M50/M1 is a better road and surprisingly enough is also faster Link
    How long was the trip etc?
    Depends on time of travelling and where you're travelling from, but from Killarney give yourself 6 hours (continuous)
    thanks in advance...
    No problem - safe driving

disappointing day in tralee yesterday... felt we never got our game going at all... glad to see anthony maher getting a run .. though he did very well in the first half... congrats to mayo - they were the better team

congrats to under-21's who are now through to the munster u-21 final.

looks like we'll need a few of these players to come through and maybe the likes of johnny buckley and barry john walsh will get a run against monaghan in a few weeks.

anyway, onwards to omagh next sat looking for a result...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

disappointing day in tralee yesterday... felt we never got our game going at all... glad to see anthony maher getting a run .. though he did very well in the first half... congrats to mayo - they were the better team

congrats to under-21's who are now through to the munster u-21 final.

looks like we'll need a few of these players to come through and maybe the likes of johnny buckley and barry john walsh will get a run against monaghan in a few weeks.

anyway, onwards to omagh next sat looking for a result...

Johnny Buckley would certainly deserve a shot imo - he's been developing into a top class midfielder for the last few years but last season in particular saw him really step it up a notch.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Johnny Buckley would certainly deserve a shot imo - he's been developing into a top class midfielder for the last few years but last season in particular saw him really step it up a notch.
    will jack bring him in at midfield do you think?
    or will he compete for wing forward slot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

will jack bring him in at midfield do you think?
    or will he compete for wing forward slot?

No I'd imagine he'll do what he did with Moran - bring him into the panel, if he gets game time it'll be on the wing until he's up to the pace of inter-county football, then possibly switch him to midfield if he meets the standard.

At the moment with Scanlon, Quirke, Maher and Moran we've enough to choose from. I still think Buckley should be blooded in soon though he's a quality player imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement