Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Timmy ?, Timmy ?

Don't tell me Weeshie is still on holidays ?

Its brutal with Timmy presenting.

Ya Tim Moynihan was on this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Do you not think it would be crazy to O Mahony against Dublin, lack of pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Great strength and craft though, bit of a character to say the least but we all have them. He might be better suited than a younger lad that would get brushed aside. You don't want half a hand on Andrews or McManamon, it's important to get the mix and match ups right I guess .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Man to Man absolutely but as one of two sweepers his pace wouldn't be exposed, and his physicality would be vital.

I think Morley and BOB have done well, but if it is Dublin we are playing I might be inclined to play Marc and AOM.

I'd go with:

Kelly
    Enright
    Griffin
    Young
    O'Sé
    Crowley
    O'Mahoney
    Donaghy
    Buckley (Gives us a running option around the middle and a bit of speed to track back. Also can kick the ball from the ground).
    D. O'Sullivan (but possibly M.Geaney to begin with to run with Dublin for the first 25minutes)
    Murphy
    Walsh
    O'Brien
    P.Geaney
    O'Donoghue

Enright on Brogan
    Young on Kilkenny
    Crowley on Connolly
    Griffin on Mannion/Andrews
    AOM and Marc as sweepers.

Leaves Flynn and Rock without a direct man marker, but if Rock came in to the full forward line, Marc could cover him in there if needed.
    AOM out on Connolly, with Crowley to cover Flynn for kickouts.

If we do go with Morley and BO'B, Morley will probably sweep and Bo'B will man mark Rock.

With Murphy, Geaney and Donnacha in the half forwards, you have 3 guys who will have the pace and the physicality to stay with Dublin players raiding forwards.

Buckley would have the pace to cover attacks from Fenton, that Donaghy, Moran, Maher or Sheehan wouldn't have. Donaghy would go on Bastick or MDM. The pace of MDM would hurt Donaghy I fear, but we don't really have any other option, short of playing someone like Griffin around the middle (lunacy this late in the championship).

TBH, I think we will match up well with them in defence, its getting scores that we have found difficult in our last couple of encounters. We need Geaney, James and SOB to be on top form, to win the 50/50 ball and to take good scoring opportunities. We will need to deliver accurate foot-passes quickly to catch out the Dublin sweepers, because once they set up they are extremely difficult to break down, and they don't give up soft frees.

Hopefully we don't get a bout of madness and decide at any stage to go Man to Man, because as we have seen over the last 3 years, we are hugely vulnerable to goal chances when we go man to man, due to a lack of pace at midfield, leading to overlaps in defence. Clare, Tipperary, Dublin, Tyrone Galway no matter the team, we look very open when not playing a defensive system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Would it be worth sacrificing o'brien at CF to get Sheehan on the pitch for free taking? we really struggled on free's and 45's on Sunday.

Also will Mikey Geaney be fit / sharp enough to start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

mickeyk wrote: »
    Also will Mikey Geaney be fit / sharp enough to start?

he shouldnt even be in the panel, let alone the first 15. if we play him against the Dubs, we may as well just pack it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

something Brolly said about Kerry fouling

Brolly was right .....anywhere over the half way line....the foul was the defence mechanism......and on the other side of the half way line the taking out of the running fowards (return pass generally lost to defence).

The rules are get away with what you can....but what goes around comes around.....it always does in one form or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Man to Man absolutely but as one of two sweepers his pace wouldn't be exposed, and his physicality would be vital.

I think Morley and BOB have done well, but if it is Dublin we are playing I might be inclined to play Marc and AOM.

I'd go with:

Kelly
    Enright
    Griffin
    Young
    O'Sé
    Crowley
    O'Mahoney
    Donaghy
    Buckley (Gives us a running option around the middle and a bit of speed to track back. Also can kick the ball from the ground).
    D. O'Sullivan (but possibly M.Geaney to begin with to run with Dublin for the first 25minutes)
    Murphy
    Walsh
    O'Brien
    P.Geaney
    O'Donoghue

Enright on Brogan
    Young on Kilkenny
    Crowley on Connolly
    Griffin on Mannion/Andrews
    AOM and Marc as sweepers.

Leaves Flynn and Rock without a direct man marker, but if Rock came in to the full forward line, Marc could cover him in there if needed.
    AOM out on Connolly, with Crowley to cover Flynn for kickouts.

If we do go with Morley and BO'B, Morley will probably sweep and Bo'B will man mark Rock.

With Murphy, Geaney and Donnacha in the half forwards, you have 3 guys who will have the pace and the physicality to stay with Dublin players raiding forwards.

Buckley would have the pace to cover attacks from Fenton, that Donaghy, Moran, Maher or Sheehan wouldn't have. Donaghy would go on Bastick or MDM. The pace of MDM would hurt Donaghy I fear, but we don't really have any other option, short of playing someone like Griffin around the middle (lunacy this late in the championship).

TBH, I think we will match up well with them in defence, its getting scores that we have found difficult in our last couple of encounters. We need Geaney, James and SOB to be on top form, to win the 50/50 ball and to take good scoring opportunities. We will need to deliver accurate foot-passes quickly to catch out the Dublin sweepers, because once they set up they are extremely difficult to break down, and they don't give up soft frees.

Hopefully we don't get a bout of madness and decide at any stage to go Man to Man, because as we have seen over the last 3 years, we are hugely vulnerable to goal chances when we go man to man, due to a lack of pace at midfield, leading to overlaps in defence. Clare, Tipperary, Dublin, Tyrone Galway no matter the team, we look very open when not playing a defensive system.

I always thought Kerry do too much of that against Dublin. They move the ball trying to create gaps but it becomes pedestrian pretty quickly. The likes of Darran O' Sullivan and O' Brien out the field should be taking on their men with frequency. They rarely do imo. They just recycle the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

wazzer1 wrote: »

He has been a great servant to the county but I wouldnt start him against Dublin,its a red or black card waiting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Hibrasil wrote: »
    If I was a Kerryman I'd be embarrased :o:o:o

Which lucky county gets to claim your charming self as a native?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Kerry playing with 14 men and a "donkey" roaming the field looking for opposition to kick (or in this case punch)....with a very high body check count Kerry brought only shame to the game...but when the ref doesn't catch it and the result is right...it is acceptable to the Kingdom faithful.

If I was a Kerryman I'd be embarrased :o:o:o

Bit of a sour taste off those grapes??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sylvester Hennessey challenged him to come on a few weeks back, something Brolly said about Kerry fouling and Sylvester having stats to day otherwise.

Looking forweto the podcast.

In fairness Syl's stats might have been accurate, but if the fouls aren't given on the day then they hardly count. [obviously he says] He's got a rock solid case on the basis of that sort of statistical evidence I would say.

Likewise if yellows and reds aren't meted out then they don't count surely :P.

Which lucky county gets to claim your charming self as a native?

Where I'm from is irrelevant.....it just that I believe in the rules and fairness....I do not believe in playing "demolition derby" i.e. taking men out as a game tactic.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Bit of a sour taste off those grapes??

No sour grapes.....just fair play by rules....suggest a look at the match again with a count of the number of Kerry "possible" black cards....striking with the fist to dispossess player etc.
    A team that play in part (roaming donkey) to get with what it can..tastes not of sour grapes...it tastes of vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

No sour grapes.....just fair play by rules....suggest a look at the match again with a count of the number of Kerry "possible" black cards....striking with the fist to dispossess player etc.
    A team that play in part (roaming donkey) to get with what it can..tastes not of sour grapes...it tastes of vinegar.

Meh. A win is a win. I couldn't care how dirty it is. The fact you have to resort to insults and want to hide your own colours shows Kerry must be doing something right. People hate/envy success.

Look at Dublin. A very successful team and they have a lot more to come. They're dirty, cynical and they have the cute hoorism that will win them more All Ireland's. Kerry have it. Donegal had it. Mayo just lack something. It comes with winning and so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Meh. A win is a win. I couldn't care how dirty it is. The fact you have to resort to insults and want to hide your own colours shows Kerry must be doing something right. People hate/envy success.

Look at Dublin. A very successful team and they have a lot more to come. They're dirty, cynical and they have the cute hoorism that will win them more All Ireland's. Kerry have it. Donegal had it. Mayo just lack something. It comes with winning and so be it.

Unfortunately for Hibrasil the Clare hurling team are also lacking in something. Could do with taking a few lessons from the Kilkenny boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Donaghy for the second time outplayed Garry Brennan at midfield, and for me is one of our most important players along with Paul Murphy.

Forwards were off form and still we hit a decent total.

I'd read nothing into the second half to be honest. We went man to man so we invited more shots on our goal, while getting more shots ourselves on the Clare goal.

Maher still has a long way to go. Looked slow and Brennan beat him for a good few balls.

Marc came on and played at CHB. Very interesting. Wouldn't shock me to see Marc and Aidan start against the Dubs.

Full back line was solid. Young looks faster this year, and had a good game on Collins.

I was happy enough with the performance bar the shooting. Will need to up the accuracy for the Dubs or Donegal.

I'd agree with most of that, Paul Murphy certainly didn't look like one of our most important players Sunday though, to the point I was waiting to hear he was carrying a knock. He'll always do the simple things well - like BOB at the back who was, once again, very solid, however Murphy, for one of the goal chances in the first half was two yards off his man, breaking ball - his man was gone and he was nowhere near goal side.

Hopefully he improves the next day but that was about as poor as I've seen Murphy play

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

This donkey you talk of have a handfull of alireland medals and allstars and was footballer of the year, now if he was a new kid on the block we would be raving about him at midfield but like all ould footballers his getting caught for pace. But for me when this donkey is put out to grass he can walk down tralee with his head held high, that goal in 06 when he put francie on his arse made him a kerry legend for me.

popa smurf wrote: »
    This donkey you talk of have a handfull of alireland medals and allstars and was footballer of the year, now if he was a new kid on the block we would be raving about him at midfield but like all ould footballers his getting caught for pace. But for me when this donkey is put out to grass he can walk down tralee with his head held high, that goal in 06 when he put francie on his arse made him a kerry legend for me.

In fairness it takes little to hold your head high in Tralee.

It makes it easier to find the way out. :P

---

But on that note about Donaghy; I think what's being said above is mostly that he has been relatively in effectual in MF from the POV of most people. There's been some from Kerry (on here) who think he's been POTY standard in there but I couldn't agree. Apparently had Gary Brennan in his pocket...

Whatever about his performances in 2006 etc (and begrudgingly in 2014 when he was the reason ye got to the final in the end), what has he been other than a passenger? Last year he was gash in fairness.

I also think that not criticising a player simply because he has x no. of AI medals is mental. Brendan Kealy has one sure. It's an unhealthy way to go on imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

How can we criticize our county players who always go out and give it everything for kerry football and train hard all year to try and give us our bragging rights over every mere mortals that live outside of the kingdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Not meaning to upset anyone's sensitivities here but what about 2007? Kieran Donaghy was hardly a passenger then. Also he was injured for most of the 2009 championship so that discounts one year.

On to more meaningful topics here, who is up next for the minors and what is their form line ?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Radio5 wrote: »
    Not meaning to upset anyone's sensitivities here but what about 2007? Kieran Donaghy was hardly a passenger then. Also he was injured for most of the 2009 championship so that discounts one year.

On to more meaningful topics here, who is up next for the minors and what is their form line ?

Minors are playing Kildare who won Leinster. Kildare beat Mayo in the QF. Hard to judge form with minors really. They also beat Dublin early in Leinster but maybe that doesn't count for anything.

How can we criticize our county players who always go out and give it everything for kerry football and train hard all year to try and give us our bragging rights over every mere mortals that live outside of the kingdom.

You think all of your intercounty players are beyond reproach or criticism in any sense?

So if a player say, punched someone on the ground? Or stood on someone's ankle? Or dived? Or eye gouged?

You wouldn't criticise them at all?

Madness

You think all of your intercounty players are beyond reproach or criticism in any sense?

So if a player say, punched someone on the ground? Or stood on someone's ankle? Or dived? Or eye gouged?

You wouldn't criticise them at all?

Madness
    Sure they're trying their best!

Yizzer off yer rockers as we say up here in the schmoke. I'll drop by again before the SF. :O

Meh. A win is a win. I couldn't care how dirty it is.

A fact of life.... that a lot of people are happy to think like this ....it's a reflection on them...not on the person who draws attention to it. Not the kind of person I would want to associate with...full stop.

Yizzer off yer rockers as we say up here in the schmoke. I'll drop by again before the SF. :O
    Don't forget your sarcasm detector Bonnie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

A fact of life.... that a lot of people are happy to think like this ....it's a reflection on them...not on the person who draws attention to it. Not the kind of person I would want to associate with...full stop.

Go on so. Who plays "the right way"?

..... give us our bragging rights over every mere mortals that live outside of the kingdom.

You get your bragging rights from what you do yourself....not from what somebody else does...that you latch on to.....and the decent person doesn't have to brag to have their accomplishments acknowledged by others.

As for the mere mortals who live elsewhere.....it speaks volumes that this description has been used.:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    Don't forget your sarcasm detector Bonnie :pac:

I turn it off when I come in here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement