Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Go on so. Who plays "the right way"?

No difference between the "great dopers" in sport and those who have no respect for the rules....they both give themselves an advantage they are not entitled to...and if that is not understood.....then it's good night.....end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

In fairness it takes little to hold your head high in Tralee.

It makes it easier to find the way out. :P

---

But on that note about Donaghy; I think what's being said above is mostly that he has been relatively in effectual in MF from the POV of most people. There's been some from Kerry (on here) who think he's been POTY standard in there but I couldn't agree. Apparently had Gary Brennan in his pocket...

Whatever about his performances in 2006 etc (and begrudgingly in 2014 when he was the reason ye got to the final in the end), what has he been other than a passenger? Last year he was gash in fairness.

I also think that not criticising a player simply because he has x no. of AI medals is mental. Brendan Kealy has one sure. It's an unhealthy way to go on imho.

He lacks the pace for midfield, especially against the better teams but it's not his fault that he's asked to play there. His position is FF, where he has been incredibly effective over the years. He is also a far better footballer than he is given credit for, people often imply that he is just a battering ram but some of the scores he gets are crackers. Teams figured him out a bit in the end, and he has had a lot of injuries but he still ties up at least two players when he is in there and I would imagine most full backs hate the sight of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

mickeyk wrote: »
    He lacks the pace for midfield, especially against the better teams but it's not his fault that he's asked to play there. His position is FF, where he has been incredibly effective over the years. He is also a far better footballer than he is given credit for, people often imply that he is just a battering ram but some of the scores he gets are crackers. Teams figured him out a bit in the end, and he has had a lot of injuries but he still ties up at least two players when he is in there and I would imagine most full backs hate the sight of him.

Nothing wrong with (most of) what you say there. But is he like any of the panel beyond criticism? No! Not at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Some of the best critics I know never kicked a ball themselves but can dish it out loads

• Registered Users Posts: 17,019 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

popa smurf wrote: »
    Some of the best critics I know never kicked a ball themselves but can dish it out loads

In fairness, they are usually good at drinking pints though

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    In fairness, they are usually good at drinking pints though

So now we're at a point where you can't criticise a player, at all, unless you've played at that level*?

Sure, let's close down boards then.

*ie. the level being discussed at any stage. Not solely intercounty football lest it cause confusion amongst those out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

So now we're at a point where you can't criticise a player, at all, unless you've played at that level?

Sure, let's close down boards then.

Who said anything about that level?

munster87 wrote: »
    Who said anything about that level?

That level as in the level being discussed whether inter county or junior or U12.

The implication was clear:
    popa smurf wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

That level as in the level being discussed whether inter county or junior or U12.

The implication was clear:

I took it more that there's alot of fellas out there that criticise players but never played at all themselves, no matter the level

I took it more that there's alot of fellas out there that criticise players but never played at all themselves, no matter the level

That you would but in the context of Mr Smurf who doesn't like to criticise anyone there was a fair chance that he was stating it as I took it up there. Fair chance.

Anyway I have to get out of here. Jimmy Mac is back. I'm over to our thread to whoop and holler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Is there a cut off point? I peaked at under-8s, more of a 'what could have been' story really.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Hibrasil wrote: »
    No difference between the "great dopers" in sport and those who have no respect for the rules....they both give themselves an advantage they are not entitled to...and if that is not understood.....then it's good night.....end of story.

Thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In the bag now by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Juniors flying it in Croke Park. Spillane and Foley look Senior standard. Andrew Barry having a good game.

J.C doing well midfield.

Ambrose makes out Foley is one of the best full backs he as ever seen in a Kerry jersey

• Advertisement

Sounds like a cracker,pity its on the TV

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/761924744065187840

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Was in Croker for this yesterday. Was most impressed with Adrian Spillane who provided a platform around the middle and did some superb fetching (he's mobile too!). Jason Foley also looks the real deal and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in the next year or so. Niall O'Shea showed well also.

All in all, a great achievement for Wallace and co to win back to back titles. We're now the most decorated AI Junior county also for what it's worth (16 each for Cork & ourselves) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Great win by the Juniors. They were a good 15 points the better team, but a mistake from the keeper and a good goal brought Mayo briefly back into it.

The two corner forwards won every ball out in front of their men. Ahooting was wayward to begin with but settled well.

Spillane was a joy to watch. Croke Park really is the spot for him after seeing him dominate the Junior Final earlier in the year.

Foley could well be Kerry's answer at full back.

Wonderful display all round, and a well deserved win.

As for our chances in the Seniors? I think we are in big trouble. I can't spot the weakness in this Dublin team. 5 points flattered Donegal greatly. Dublin controlled the game from start to finish, especially when down to 14.

I expected us to go really defensively, but after watching Dublin patiently pick apart the massed reargard that Donegal had assembled, I cannot see us faring any better.

I am expecting a kick from kerry they have been working towards this semi for 10 months the league final wasn't important this is the one.dublin are a great team and won't roll over but I know kerry will be up for this one. A kerry tip final I have to go now and take my tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,236 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I am expecting a kick from kerry they have been working towards this semi for 10 months the league final wasn't important this is the one.dublin are a great team and won't roll over but I know kerry will be up for this one. A kerry tip final I have to go now and take my tablets.

But where will the kick come from ?

Its all well and good to say you are up for it but if your squad is old, slow, injured, just back from a long layoff, etc etc then all the being up for it in the world will not help you win.

Donegal wasted loads of chances in the first half v Dublin, I think Kerry will do better but at the 50 mins mark when Dublin will bring on fresh legs after fresh legs, Kerry will not be able to stick with them.

The league final showed us just how little Kerry have right now.

No this kerry team has not improved a lot in 12 months but I am hoping Dublin has come back a bit we will need everything to go right for kerry we have footbsllerd that can turn it on some days paul ganney and SOB if they can hit form I think we have a great chance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

We were missing our two best forwards in the league final tbf.

Dublin are out on their own clearly. What needs to happen for Kerry to win is for Kerry to be within touching distance with ten or fifteen minutes to go (as has been the case every time we've played them) and then for us to sneak a goal, them to panic and us to kill the game in a variety of ugly and sneaky ways. That or a red card to a big Dublin player with a decent amount of time on the clock.

Something like that. It's obviously a lot more likely that Dublin just win, but something unusual happening is possible.

Say if Kerry were in Donegal's position, three points down with fifteen or twenty to go and Connolly gets a red card - they could easily win in that scenario and it's a scenario that literally just happened two days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

What stood out from the Dublin Donegal game is that Dublin are quite suspect when a team runs at them .

COS is positioned to stop direct ball into a full forward line which has affected Kerry a lot as they like to kick the ball direct.

Will Kerry set up with a ball carrying half forward line ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement