Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

TheNap wrote: »
    What stood out from the Dublin Donegal game is that Dublin are quite suspect when a team runs at them .

COS is positioned to stop direct ball into a full forward line which has affected Kerry a lot as they like to kick the ball direct.

Will Kerry set up with a ball carrying half forward line ?
    That could be part of the big plan moving murphy up to HF he is a good ball carrier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

keane2097 wrote: »
    We were missing our two best forwards in the league final tbf.

Dublin are out on their own clearly. What needs to happen for Kerry to win is for Kerry to be within touching distance with ten or fifteen minutes to go (as has been the case every time we've played them) and then for us to sneak a goal, them to panic and us to kill the game in a variety of ugly and sneaky ways. That or a red card to a big Dublin player with a decent amount of time on the clock.

Something like that. It's obviously a lot more likely that Dublin just win, but something unusual happening is possible.

Say if Kerry were in Donegal's position, three points down with fifteen or twenty to go and Connolly gets a red card - they could easily win in that scenario and it's a scenario that literally just happened two days ago.

We always seem to be able to stay close enough to them until about 5 minutes to go, when their superior fitness usually wins out. I'd like to see what way they'd react if we were 3 or 4 up at that 5 minute mark or less (2011 discounted :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,236 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

We were missing our two best forwards in the league final tbf.

Dublin are out on their own clearly. What needs to happen for Kerry to win is for Kerry to be within touching distance with ten or fifteen minutes to go (as has been the case every time we've played them) and then for us to sneak a goal, them to panic and us to kill the game in a variety of ugly and sneaky ways. That or a red card to a big Dublin player with a decent amount of time on the clock.

Something like that. It's obviously a lot more likely that Dublin just win, but something unusual happening is possible.

Say if Kerry were in Donegal's position, three points down with fifteen or twenty to go and Connolly gets a red card - they could easily win in that scenario and it's a scenario that literally just happened two days ago.

The key is sticking close to them and being able to stay with them as they empty the bench.

The problem I see for Kerry, and for everyone for that matter, is that Dublin can bring in very good, very fresh legs, in tje last quarter of the game, others can't match them.

That's the time they have pulled away in the past, if you can get beyond that then sneak that goal, or they get a red then you have a chance, but everything has to go right for Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kieran Donaghy Autobiography To Hit The Shops This Autumn

KERRY star Kieran Donaghy will have his autobiography out in the shops by the end of October according to Easons.

The Austin Stacks man should have an interesting story to tell about his rise as basketball star and footballing exploits with Austin Stacks and Kerry over the years in ‘What Do You Think Of That?’, named after his most famous uttering to Joe Brolly on TV after the All-Ireland Final in 2014.

It’s set to be a revealing and honest story of his life outside football too, including dealing with dyslexia throughout his life and his roller-coaster relationship with his father.

It’ll explore how he became a star in 2006 and his pivotal role for Kerry including his resurrection in 2014 when he was pivotal in the county’s All-Ireland success and Austin Stacks’ Munster club championship victory.

According to Easons, the book is set to be released on October 20 on hardback for €18.99. With Colm Cooper’s book also rumoured to be on the way Kerry GAA fans may have some nice stocking fillers at Christmas.

http://traleetoday.ie/donaghy-autobiography-hit-shops-christmas/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You can give me one of the 6 copies you are going to get of each one .

Like the four jack reacher books I received last Christmas. I'd already downloaded it and read it on Google books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭50HX

Kieran Donaghy Autobiography To Hit The Shops This Autumn

KERRY star Kieran Donaghy will have his autobiography out in the shops by the end of October according to Easons.

The Austin Stacks man should have an interesting story to tell about his rise as basketball star and footballing exploits with Austin Stacks and Kerry over the years in ‘What Do You Think Of That?’, named after his most famous uttering to Joe Brolly on TV after the All-Ireland Final in 2014.

It’s set to be a revealing and honest story of his life outside football too, including dealing with dyslexia throughout his life and his roller-coaster relationship with his father.

It’ll explore how he became a star in 2006 and his pivotal role for Kerry including his resurrection in 2014 when he was pivotal in the county’s All-Ireland success and Austin Stacks’ Munster club championship victory.

According to Easons, the book is set to be released on October 20 on hardback for €18.99. With Colm Cooper’s book also rumoured to be on the way Kerry GAA fans may have some nice stocking fillers at Christmas.

http://traleetoday.ie/donaghy-autobiography-hit-shops-christmas/

like a most of them they'll be about 2 paragraphs in total with something revealing...after that it'll be page fillers eg Paul Galvin

i use to read a lot of sports autobiographies before and gave up on them...Tony McCoy being one of the better ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

50HX wrote: »
    i use to read a lot of sports autobiographies before and gave up on them...Tony McCoy being one of the better ones

Andre Agassi's book is the best sports autobiography I've read. Some mental stuff in there about the way he was raised and the contempt he had for sport. Well worth a read, even if you've no interest in tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Amazingly got great tickets with the Season Ticket for the Dublin game.

Usually get shafted to the 310's or 410's.

306 Row Z. Perfect.

Now we just have the win the game.

Watched the league final and All Irelabd Finals back for my sins.

League final we were containing Dublin well until we awitched from the packed defence to man to man.

Kilkenny kept Dublin in the game early on, and then Brogan caused Marc trouble one on one.
    We totally ran out of steam and AO'M really didn't help with the red card.

The All Ireland wasn't half as one sided as I thought at the time. We went through a phenomenal period early in the first half where we totally dominated. Dublin could barely leave their own half. The problem was we kicked 4 easy wides so instead of being level at half time we were chasing the game. Fionn got bullied by Andrews but other than that we were fairly strong.

Dublin controlled the second half well and could have had a couple of goals, but Killian missed that goal chance when we had momentum, and Alan Brogan sauntered unchallenged down the pitch to score, and really put the nail in the coffin.

We should be fitter and ready to peak this time, and while I think Dublin are clearly the best team in the country, we won't be far off. A little bit of luck and a handy referee and we could catch Dublin. Maybe. Possibly. Doubtfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Ref was announced as David Gough a little earlier in the week. That should curtail Kilkennys rugby esque forays given Goughs fondness for blowing for overcarrying all season. How much it counts for? Probably not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things but will be interesting to see if Gough is consistent the next day.

• Advertisement

Just saw photos of Bryan Sheehan taking kickouts in Kerry training.

Surely somebody trying to wind up the Dubs!

There is no way in hell we should put a guy who hasn't played in goals for 13 years in for the most important game of the year.

Sheehan can kick great frees but putting him in goals, especially against the Dubs who are lethal at getting goalscoring opportunities would be suicide.

Hopefully its just smoke and mirrors stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

DDC1990 wrote: »

There is no way in hell we should put a guy who hasn't played in goals for 13 years in for the most important game of the year.

Sheehan can kick great frees but putting him in goals, especially against the Dubs who are lethal at getting goalscoring opportunities would be suicide.

You're late to the party. That is yesterdays news. We've all been laughing at it. Or at least we were, until all the kerfuffle in Rio distracted us.

First heard that rumour of him going in goals a few weeks back.

It may have been something they though about but was never really a runner.

Fitzmaurice seems to be under pressure to have something up his sleeve for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Is there a rule that goalie has to kick out the ball I think away back the FB used kick out the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

It would be a bit of a kick in the teeth to Kelly and Kealy if Sheehan was put in goals.

It would be a bit of a kick in the teeth to Kelly and Kealy if Sheehan was put in goals.

I'd walk off the panel tbh. Some disrespect.

I'd heard the idea floated several times over the last few years, but never took it seriously.

To actually see him kicking with the goalkeepers really shocked me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

I'd walk off the panel tbh. Some disrespect.

I'd heard the idea floated several times over the last few years, but never took it seriously.

To actually see him kicking with the goalkeepers really shocked me though.

Hopefully they were just messing about or Sheehan was teaching them a few lessons on how to kick the ball!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

popa smurf wrote: »
    Is there a rule that goalie has to kick out the ball I think away back the FB used kick out the ball

Anyone on the team can take the kickout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You're late to the party. That is yesterdays news. We've all been laughing at it. Or at least we were, until all the kerfuffle in Rio distracted us.
    What's on in Rio? Been busy focusing on the football championship

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

D'Agger wrote: »
    What's on in Rio? Been busy focusing on the football championship

World Cup I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

World Cup I think
    Pfft Garrison Games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

First heard that rumour of him going in goals a few weeks back.

It may have been something they though about but was never really a runner.

Fitzmaurice seems to be under pressure to have something up his sleeve for this game.

If the answer is Sheehan in goals the question must be hillarious.

If the answer is Sheehan in goals the question must be hillarious.

I think the question is "what can Fitzmaurice do to try and win this game".

What we have seen last year and in the league final is that its no longer a case of
    Kerry just having faith in the likes of Gooch or Donaghey or Marc or O'Mahoney carrying the day.

Kerry look old and tired and the new blood they have brought in, Morely and the other guy with the long Irish name, have seen nothing yet when it comes to this level of competition.

They have JOD just back from injury and Geaney back as well but they are going to have to come up with some special game plan to get past Dublin, as well as staying disciplined and being fit enough to negate Dublin's strong bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I think the question is "what can Fitzmaurice do to try and win this game".

What we have seen last year and in the league final is that its no longer a case of
    Kerry just having faith in the likes of Gooch or Donaghey or Marc or O'Mahoney carrying the day.

Kerry look old and tired and the new blood they have brought in, Morely and the other guy with the long Irish name, have seen nothing yet when it comes to this level of competition.

They have JOD just back from injury and Geaney back as well but they are going to have to come up with some special game plan to get past Dublin, as well as staying disciplined and being fit enough to negate Dublin's strong bench.

Yeah I can think of a dozen reasons why we can't win. Our path and our general preparation in terms of fitness and injuries is far from ideal. I'm not so worried about the two young lads, I'd imagine Begley will pick up Rock and do a good job, Morley will do fine with plenty of help in the half back line if he's picked again. Dublin have their own problems and are not the invincible juggernaut that many believe them to be. Donegal were fairly weak in the quarters and made Dublin look good even with 14 men.

You never know. I'm not even going to try to predict how this one is going to go. I just have no idea. People seem to be expecting a rabbit out of the hat from EF or some new approach that'll catch Dublin. I don't think there is one, but I don't think we'll perform as badly as we did last September either. All signs point to a Dublin win but I think we can pull off a shock if we get a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

Any open training in killarney this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Triboro wrote: »

Dont think they did an open training session,they did a meet and greet in the Kerry GAA store in Killarney two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

No. That's only leading up to a final. They have an open day so the kids can meet the players.

dobman88 wrote: »
    No. That's only leading up to a final. They have an open day so the kids can meet the players.

Aha,so are you telling me I'll have to come back for a visit in a few weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Aha,so are you telling me I'll have to come back for a visit in a few weeks!!

Nah. Next year now I say.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    Nah. Next year now I say.

Hope your wrong!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement