Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

The team, captained by Killian Young is as follows:
    1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2. Shane Enright Tarbert
    3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
    4. Killian Young (C) Renard
    5. Brian Ó Beaglaoich An Ghaeltacht
    6. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    7. Tadhg Morley Templenoe
    8. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
    9. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    10. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    11. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    14. Paul Geaney Dingle
    15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion
    Fir Ionaid:
    16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    17. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    18. Bryan Sheehan St Marys
    19. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    20. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    21. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    22. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
    23. Anthony Maher Duagh
    24. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    25. Michael Geaney Dingle
    26. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Poor starting line up . I'm guessing if this is true the. Kerry are focus sing on the last 20 minutes of the match .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Poor starting line up . I'm guessing if this is true the. Kerry are focus sing on the last 20 minutes of the match .

Which is where they have lost it in 2011,13 and last year. I have a sneaky suspicion we can pip them Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Kelly,Begley,killian,enright, lyno, griffin, Crowley, donnchadh, moran, murphy, darran, stephen, james, donaghy, geaney

Text from Kerry from reliable source

Rubbish source.

Anyway, happy to see Donaghy in the middle of the park. Don't understand people who want him playing full forward. Won't work against the dubs. Would have liked to see Darren start but we might be very grateful of himself and Barry John coming off the bench with 20-25 mins to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭50HX

big big day for both wing backs....hope they hold it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Well that team has just knocked any confidence I had out of me..:eek:

He doesn't usually do dummy teams so there's probably some plan here, but I don't see or agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭50HX

He doesn't usually do dummy teams so there's probably some plan here, but I don't see or agree with it.

none of us can see it so we couldn't possibly agree with it.............yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Certainly ramped up the worry level! Just have to keep the faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's pretty simple - get your best players on for 20 minutes when you are already starting to fall apart, then blame them for not making an impact.

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's pretty simple - get your best players on for 20 minutes when you are already starting to fall apart, then blame them for not making an impact.

You do cynicism very well to be fair to you!

I'm on board that train with you I have to say though..I could see the game being over at half time with that team. First game in my lifetime I think that I just can't see us winning barring getting 3/4 goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Given Gooch is named then he will start. I suspect EF has way too much respect for the man to use him as a pawn and drop him before Sunday. I'd love to see him come in later on. Darren on the bench? Wtf? He is a good sub but he always causes trouble when starting. Playing for the last 20 only works if you're still in the game at that stage. If that team actually starts I'd be very very concerned. In fact I'd go so far as say if that team starts we have no chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Given Gooch is named then he will start. I suspect EF has way too much respect for the man to use him as a pawn and drop him before Sunday. I'd love to see him come in later on. Darren on the bench? Wtf? He is a good sub but he always causes trouble when starting. Playing for the last 20 only works if you're still in the game at that stage. If that team actually starts I'd be very very concerned. In fact I'd go so far as say if that team starts we have no chance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If gooch is starting Kerry are going to be ponderous. He is a genius distributer of the ball however but will be targeted from the first minute.

I can only think that we are going to play hyper defensively and kick inside instead of carrying the ball with pace and o Mahoney coming off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 15,235 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Sorry folks but looking at this from a semi neutral point of view this team does not look good

1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2. Shane Enright Tarbert
    3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore - Does he still "turn like an tanker" DDC1990
    ?

4. Killian Young (C) Renard
    5. Brian Ó Beaglaoich An Ghaeltacht - Totally inexperienced at this level
    6. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    7. Tadhg Morley Templenoe - Totally inexperienced at this level
    8. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks - He was poor at midfield a decade ago, moving him to FF in 2006 made him
    9. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys - Form is not what it was
    10. Paul Murphy Rathmore - out of position ?
    11. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes - shoulder ?
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    14. Paul Geaney Dingle
    15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion - Not much game time

I know it's only the negatives I highlighted there but there are enough of them to be worried that this game could always be out of Kerry's reach.

They could go ultra defensive and hold Dublin off but I doubt they would be able to sustain it.

Think would have to go very very well for them to win it.

Problem for Fitz is there is no rabbit to pull out of the hat.

You haven't watched much of Kerry this year if you think Murphy is out of position.

You also haven't seen how well Donaghy has done in midfield. He doesn't win enough ball inside at full forward and for various reasons, doesn't get an easy time winning frees either. In my opinion your wasting time and possession throwing balls into him at 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,235 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

FourFourFM wrote: »
    You haven't watched much of Kerry this year if you think Murphy is out of position.

Well he won a man of the match award as a wing back, but he is playing wing forward this year, hence the "?"

Well he won a man of the match award as a wing back, but he is playing wing forward this year, hence the "?"

He sure did. He was very good in that position. (still would be). However, has been playing with his club in the forward line for a number of years and since adopting the role for Kerry in the Spring he has been very impressive. A highlight for me was the game against Monaghan in the league. Gets on the ball a lot, wins the breaking and loose ball around the forward line and links up the play. Restricted at wing back.

You also haven't seen how well Donaghy has done in midfield. He doesn't win enough ball inside at full forward and for various reasons, doesn't get an easy time winning frees either. In my opinion your wasting time and possession throwing balls into him at 14.

Delusional. Donaghy has never and will never, be a good midfielder at this level. Did you watch the league final this year at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Delusional. Donaghy has never and will never, be a good midfielder at this level. Did you watch the league final this year at all?

Whoa! Donaghy has killed it at midfield all year even in the league final. One of our most important players IMO. Donaghy 10/1 as an All Star!

Yeah I've been to the majority of the games and he has done very well in midfield. The league final? I could name 12 players who didn't play well in the league final. One poor game doesn't mean he doesn't play well in that position. Open your eyes a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

If Donaghy plays in midfield here, forget about it. One of the few sensible articles all week on this game was by Ger O'Keeffe (a club mate of Donaghy's) in the Examiner and he hit the nail on the head. It's full forward or nowhere for Donaghy. If he does nothing other than suck in Philly and Cian O'Sullivan and breaks a bit of ball to Geaney and Jameso, that's enough.
    He'd be lost out around the middle in this game. He's a bad kick passer, always was. He is also a terrible tackler and would be a likely candidate to see the line with Gough in charge as he (through malice or just poor technique) usually high-tackles someone in every game. He wouldn't handle McAuley who isn't having the greatest of years so far and he certainly wouldn't cope with Fenton.

I have to say, usually I ignore most of the media during the week of a game and laugh at opposition fans getting irked by articles by so and so..but, this week there has been an absolute deluge of ex-Kerry player and other pundits banging on with nonsense about how Kerry should go about stopping Dublin. I've never seen anything like it and this time I can't blame anyone for being sick of it. Don't think it helps Kerry in any way either. The likes of Tomás O'Flaharta and Mickey Ned have had big pieces in daily's or RTE for example..I mean, you may aswell ask Dustin the turkey who he thinks should mark Diarmuid Connolly. :rolleyes:

I think we will see some kind of performance from Kerry, at least I hope we will, but whether or not it's enough depends on the legs in the final quarter, the defensive plan and the effectiveness of the bench. I actually think Dublin have quite a few chinks in the armour that haven't been fully exploited this year to date, but my head is telling me they probably still have enough to edge this game.
    If Buckley, JOD and Maher were 100% fit and had 1 or 2 games under the belt I'd be more confident, but it's just hard to know where they are at.

Excellent Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Donaghy has never been much of a midfielder even at club level imo although I agree he's been quite good this year albeit in games that are a lower level.

In fairness he's capable of breaking even with Bastick who had always been a functional rather than awesome midfielder himself.

The half lines need to be rabid on the breaks.

Yeah I've been to the majority of the games and he has done very well in midfield. The league final? I could name 12 players who didn't play well in the league final. One poor game doesn't mean he doesn't play well in that position. Open your eyes a bit.

I have my eyes wide open. When I said "at this level", I meant championship games, or knockout league games of championship level intensity. True, Donaghy certainly wasn't the worst player on the field in the League Final, but he looked far more at home when he went to 14. As I've already stated, he doesn't have the mobility, kicking or tackling ability to play around the middle at the very highest level and anyone disputing that is clueless IMO.

I have my eyes wide open. When I said "at this level", I meant championship games, or knockout league games of championship level intensity. True, Donaghy certainly wasn't the worst player on the field in the League Final, but he looked far more at home when he went to 14. As I've already stated, he doesn't have the mobility, kicking or tackling ability to play around the middle at the very highest level and anyone disputing that is clueless IMO.

You're calling Eamon Fitz clueless then? Not having a go, genuinely interested if you feel that way.

You're calling Eamon Fitz clueless then? Not having a go, genuinely interested if you feel that way.

If he plays there tomorrow, then yes. Same as when Jack O'Connor was trying to play him wing forward..or Killian Young corner back. Both were costly errors of judgement. Even good or great managers make mistakes. If you think Fitzy is infallible, I have two words for you: Jack Sherwood.

If he plays there tomorrow, then yes. Same as when Jack O'Connor was trying to play him wing forward..or Killian Young corner back. Both were costly errors of judgement. Even good or great managers make mistakes. If you think Fitzy is infallible, I have two words for you: Jack Sherwood.

I'm not saying he is infallible. He has been playing there all year and has been doing very well, imo. I'm happy to have him start there tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to having three scoring forwards in the full forward line tomorrow. Players who have the pace to get in front of their man and win the ball and either turn for a score or pass off to one another and score.

Time and time again we've seen the ball go into Donaghy and lose possession. Tomorrow is going to be so close on the score board that we cannot afford to lose possession that easy. Fair enough if we were getting goals out of him in that area or having the lads pick up the breaking ball from kicking into him, but the reality is, it isn't the case.

If you don't want him in midfield, don't start him at all. Have Maher/Buckley in there instead but keep the full forward line as is. Point scorers who actually get on the ball, because by God we'll need those scores tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Donaghy is fine in midfield against teams that don't turn over possession and attack with such speed as dublin are capable of. He has no pace, the only place he could be put is in the full forward line, even if he doesn't pose the threat there that he has done in the past. It's better than putting more pressure on your defence when the opposition are running through and he is yards behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

munster87 wrote:
    the only place he could be put is in the full forward line, even if he doesn't pose the threat there that he has done in the past.
    His form last year in the square was very good, he'll still cause problems, plus I think out the field he could pick up cards easier due to his , tackling!

The alternative? Maher? If pace is your argument. He is no faster. He works less. Donaghy is also more of a leader on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

The alternative? Maher? If pace is your argument. He is no faster. He works less. Donaghy is also more of a leader on the pitch.

I agree. Kerry need pace around the middle against Dublin, that's why you have lads grasping at straws talking about putting the like of Jonathan Lyne there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement