Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The dust has settled since our loss to the dubs. Its time to think of the future of Kerry football.

Fitzmaurice has to go plain and simple. Hes blinded loyalty to the "golden generation" is holding us back. Fair enough the likes of Darran O sullivan, o mahoney, gooch, o se etc have been long standing and brilliant servants to the cause over the years but by christ they are nowhere near the players they used to be. I would be all for a cull of the panel beginning now and an introduction of some new fresh blood.

We should forget about winning anything over the next 3 years and just aim to blood in some new talent that will stand to us in the next few years. The game is gone ultra athletic and the likes of gooch are redundant in the modern game.

Players like gary sayers, con o mahoney , shane crowley (showing great form for stacks), shaun keane and his brother , all should seriously be looked at. I would play them in the pre league campaign and take it from there. Another fella who impressed me with his kick out strategy is a lad from annauscaul , guilfoyle i think hes name is conor his first name. He is a raw talent, if he could fill out a bit and improve his aerial prowess he is as good as any keeper in the county.

Gary Sayers? Jeez louise- the lad is a good club player but not anywhere near intercounty level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I suspected you were a p*sstaker, but that just confirms it. Slow day in college in Cork is it?

He has a rare kind of talent for hilarity this lad- himself and the boys are great banter I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Fixtures for the footballers and hurlers for next years NFL and NHL

Kerry 2017 Division 1 Allianz National Football League fixtures

Donegal v Kerry, Sunday, February 5
    Kerry v Mayo, Sunday, February 12
    Kerry v Monaghan, Sunday, February 26
    Roscommon v Kerry, Sunday March 5
    Kerry v Dublin, Sunday, March 19
    Cavan v Kerry, Sunday, March 26
    Kerry v Tyrone, Sunday, April 2

Kerry 2017 Division 1B Allianz National Hurling League fixtures

Kerry v Laois, Sunday, February 12
    Limerick v Kerry, Saturday, February 18
    Wexford v Kerry, Saturday, March 4
    Kerry v Galway, Sunday, March 12
    Kerry v Offaly, Sunday, March 26

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Fixtures for the footballers and hurlers for next years NFL and NHL

Kerry 2017 Division 1 Allianz National Football League fixtures

Donegal v Kerry, Sunday, February 5
    Kerry v Mayo, Sunday, February 12
    Kerry v Monaghan, Sunday, February 26
    Roscommon v Kerry, Sunday March 5
    Kerry v Dublin, Sunday, March 19
    Cavan v Kerry, Sunday, March 26
    Kerry v Tyrone, Sunday, April 2

Kerry 2017 Division 1B Allianz National Hurling League fixtures

Kerry v Laois, Sunday, February 12
    Limerick v Kerry, Saturday, February 18
    Wexford v Kerry, Saturday, March 4
    Kerry v Galway, Sunday, March 12
    Kerry v Offaly, Sunday, March 26

Will the first two home games be in Tralee before heading to Croke Park for Dublin on St Patricks weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Will the first two home games be in Tralee before heading to Croke Park for Dublin on St Patricks weekend?

I've seen the Mayo game scheduled for Saturday at 7 so I would say there's a very strong odds that will be on in Tralee. Also really can't see the game v the Dubs not being on in Killarney. Overall a good chance the first 2 games will be on in Tralee but nothing 100% for a whole yet.

However these are only provisional fixtures so I would hold tight on making any super firm plans until they are actually confirmed (normally in about 3 weeks iirc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

I suspected you were a p*sstaker, but that just confirms it. Slow day in college in Cork is it?

I thought he was serious then read gym part about McManamon at the end :)

What injury did Brendan O'Sullivan get? Will be a great player at midfield/wing forward in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

We'll be playing ye in Kerry cos we had ye in Croker this year.

That's a great weekend out down in Killarney if it happens.

No thats going to be on in Killarney,

Would love though if they brought it to Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I read today that Marc O'Connor is going to tryout for a few AFL clubs this October.

He will be a massive loss, but best of luck to him and I hope he makes it. Not every player gets the Tadhg Kennelly experience, many end up like Tommy Walsh, but it's worth giving a shot anyway.

Also been scouring the country for the last 2 weeks looking for tickets for the final. A long shot considering the low ticket allocation, but if anyone has a hint of a ticket, i'd be most grateful to buy it off you.

Would love to see the Minors achieve the 3 in a row. Galway will be better then any side they have faced this year and I feel it could be a classic considering both forward lines.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I read today that Marc O'Connor is going to tryout for a few AFL clubs this October.

He will be a massive loss, but best of luck to him and I hope he makes it. Not every player gets the Tadhg Kennelly experience, many end up like Tommy Walsh, but it's worth giving a shot anyway.

I'm hoping he has more of the David Moran experience - goes for 2 weeks and has a nice holiday.

I wonder if he had any chat to Tommy Walsh about what the actual day-to-day quality of life was like there.

• Advertisement

Boom__Boom wrote:
    I'm hoping he has more of the David Moran experience - goes for 2 weeks and has a nice holiday.

Ah yeah from a selfish point of view i'd love to see him back soon, but I'd love to see him succeed and make a career for himself as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Ciaran Kilkenny experience would be better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Would love to see the Minors achieve the 3 in a row. Galway will be better then any side they have faced this year and I feel it could be a classic considering both forward lines.

Galway/Mayo supporter here. I can't see anything but a Kerry win in this game and I'm normally overly optimistic. Galway have some classy forwards for sure but more often than not they'll try to run in a goal when a handy point is on. It leads to a lot of wasted chances and Kerry are too clinical up the other end not to be taking every score that comes your way. I saw kerry against derry in the flesh and I couldn't believe how accurate the forwards were and then against Kildare they were awesome again - so few wides, so little wasted. They seem so much more composed than minors normally do. They are a quality bunch.

I'll be astounded and delighted should Galway come good and win on the day but I wouldn't begrudge this Kerry team a win either because the talent is immense. The corner forward (13) in particular is one for the future senior panel.

We can see how it goes anyway and hopefully it'll be a good curtain raiser for the auld lads ☺

keane2097 wrote: »

Was he not there for longer than 2 weeks and miserable the whole time?

I'd say the David Moran experience would be preferable. Go out, experience it, get a bit of sun and return.

Also I wonder if O'Connor's previous injury issues not be a bit of a red flag for any of the Aussie teams? He seems the type who picks up knocks/niggles easily enough as opposed to the more resilient type.

I definitely think whether or not he does get an offer a conversation with Tommy Walsh in terms of what to expect and what the pros and cons are of life as a pro sportsman out there would be very valuable.

Also I'd guess both Tommy Walsh and Kennelly spent longer than the normal Irish/GAA recruit out in Oz. Seems a fair chunk of lads who actually signed contracts have returned after 2/3 years.

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    They seem so much more composed than minors normally do. They are a quality bunch.

We can see how it goes anyway and hopefully it'll be a good curtain raiser for the auld lads ☺

A lot of the lads on the panel have won the Hogan Cup with the Sem (probably about 5/6 starters) which is a huge benefit in terms of experience/composure going into a minor final. With minors going into a final nerves/composure would normally be one of the biggest question marks, but I think this is very unlikely to be a factor. The game against Cork and how they reacted to Cork's goals was a real display of composure when the pressure was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

David wasn't signed. Kilkenny was and decided he'd prefer to be at home winning All Irelands with Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

keane2097 wrote: »

even though Kilkenny went for a couple months his kicking technique changed and for the worse. His shots were getting blocked down too easily and only starting improving last year.

Was at an All Ireland preview event in Croker this evening, (there was a draw for Final tickets so I was there in hope).

Tomás, Ciarán Whelan, James Horan and Conor McManus were the speakers.

Tomás was brilliant. Very funny, very natural speaker and kept the crowd going for the 1 and a half hours.
    Himself and Whelan have the potential to be the Gary Neville/Jamie Carragher duo of the GAA world. Great analysts of the game, and great craic at the same time. Would be far more entertaining than Brolly/Spillane/O'Rourke and far more knowledgeable on the game of football as it is played today.

Didn't win the tickets, but it was an enjoyable night all the same.

Many here travelling up for the Minor game?

Was at an All Ireland preview event in Croker this evening, (there was a draw for Final tickets so I was there in hope).

Tomás was brilliant. Very funny, very natural speaker and kept the crowd going for the 1 and a half hours.
    Himself and Whelan have the potential to be the Gary Neville/Jamie Carragher duo of the GAA world. Great analysts of the game, and great craic at the same time. Would be far more entertaining than Brolly/Spillane/O'Rourke and far more knowledgeable on the game of football as it is played today.

Didn't win the tickets, but it was an enjoyable night all the same.

Many here travelling up for the Minor game?

I think its time RTE started using the likes of Tomas and Whelan to co commentate games instead of Carney and Carr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I think its time RTE started using the likes of Tomas and Whelan to co commentate games instead of Carney and Carr

It must be said.

Very much so.

It must be said.

But there is no malice in it.

It must be said.

Again.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kerry V Galway Electric Ireland All Ireland Minor Football Championship Final

The Kerry Minor Football Team to play Galway in the Electric Ireland All Ireland Minor Football Final at Croke Park on Sunday next (1:15) shows one change from the side that defeated Kildare in the semi final; Brian Friel, originally named on the semi final side, but who cried off with an injury on the morning of the game, is fit to resume and comes in at corner forward instead of Bryan Sweeney.

In the subs, Cian O’Callaghan of Firies comes into the match day squad in place of clubmate Niall Donohue.

The team, captained by Sean O’Shea is as follows:
    1. Billy Courtney Dr. Crokes
    2. David Naughten Dr. Crokes
    3. Niall Collins Listowel Emmets
    4. Graham O'Sullivan Dromid Pearses
    5. Michael Potts Dr. Crokes
    6. Daniel O’Brien Glenflesk
    7. Micheál Foley Ballydonoghue
    8. Mike Breen Beaufort
    9. Mark Ryan Rathmore
    10. Dara Moynihan Spa
    11. Sean O’Shea Kenmare
    12. Diarmuid O'Connor Na Gaeil
    13. David Clifford Fossa
    14. David Shaw Dr. Crokes
    15. Brian Friel Rathmore

Fir Ionaid:
    16. Sean Ó Lúing An Ghaeltacht
    17. Bryan Sweeney Listowel Emmets
    18. Kieran Dwyer St. Pats
    19. Ferdia O'Brien Austin Stacks
    20. Micheál Reidy Ballymacelligott
    21. Caolim Teahan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    22. Stefan Okunbor Na Gaeil
    23. Cormac Linnane Beale
    24. Cian O’Callaghan Firies

Bainistíocht:
    Bainisteoir: Peter Keane (St Marys)
    Treanalaí: Chris Flannery and Padraig Murphy
    Roghnoirí: Tommy Griffin (Dingle), James Foley (Kilcummin)

Liaison Officer: Christy Killeen

Additional Players on the Kerry Minor Panel
    Cormac Leane Milltown Castlemaine
    Nill Donohue Firies
    Tomás O'Connor Ballymacelligott
    Fionán Mackessy Ardfert
    Darren Casey St. Mary's
    Ryan O’Neill Na Gaeil
    Chris O’Donoghue Glenflesk
    Cian Gammell Killarney Legion
    Fiachra Clifford Laune Rangers

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Kerry V Galway Electric Ireland All Ireland Minor Football Championship Final

The Kerry Minor Football Team to play Galway in the Electric Ireland All Ireland Minor Football Final at Croke Park on Sunday next (1:15) shows one change from the side that defeated Kildare in the semi final; Brian Friel, originally named on the semi final side, but who cried off with an injury on the morning of the game, is fit to resume and comes in at corner forward instead of Bryan Sweeney.

In the subs, Cian O’Callaghan of Firies comes into the match day squad in place of clubmate Niall Donohue.

The team, captained by Sean O’Shea is as follows:
    1. Billy Courtney Dr. Crokes
    2. David Naughten Dr. Crokes
    3. Niall Collins Listowel Emmets
    4. Graham O'Sullivan Dromid Pearses
    5. Michael Potts Dr. Crokes
    6. Daniel O’Brien Glenflesk
    7. Micheál Foley Ballydonoghue
    8. Mike Breen Beaufort
    9. Mark Ryan Rathmore
    10. Dara Moynihan Spa
    11. Sean O’Shea Kenmare
    12. Diarmuid O'Connor Na Gaeil
    13. David Clifford Fossa
    14. David Shaw Dr. Crokes
    15. Brian Friel Rathmore

Fir Ionaid:
    16. Sean Ó Lúing An Ghaeltacht
    17. Bryan Sweeney Listowel Emmets
    18. Kieran Dwyer St. Pats
    19. Ferdia O'Brien Austin Stacks
    20. Micheál Reidy Ballymacelligott
    21. Caolim Teahan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    22. Stefan Okunbor Na Gaeil
    23. Cormac Linnane Beale
    24. Cian O’Callaghan Firies

Bainistíocht:
    Bainisteoir: Peter Keane (St Marys)
    Treanalaí: Chris Flannery and Padraig Murphy
    Roghnoirí: Tommy Griffin (Dingle), James Foley (Kilcummin)

Liaison Officer: Christy Killeen

Additional Players on the Kerry Minor Panel
    Cormac Leane Milltown Castlemaine
    Nill Donohue Firies
    Tomás O'Connor Ballymacelligott
    Fionán Mackessy Ardfert
    Darren Casey St. Mary's
    Ryan O’Neill Na Gaeil
    Chris O’Donoghue Glenflesk
    Cian Gammell Killarney Legion
    Fiachra Clifford Laune Rangers

How is it that West Kerry can produce so much for the county minors for two years (in addition to huge success for Pobalscoil CD over a longer period) and the next year only one player out of the 33 listed there is from west of Tralee?
    I'm not knocking anyone as their record is speaking for themselves and as Tommy Griffin is a selector but it's worthy of notice if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Say Mansy spoke twice and scarpered directly after, handy few bob for him nonetheless. :o

Tickets thankfully sorted. Strong team named again by the minors - hopefully they can do the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

How is it that West Kerry can produce so much for the county minors for two years (in addition to huge success for Pobalscoil CD over a longer period) and the next year only one player out of the 33 listed there is from west of Tralee?
    I'm not knocking anyone as their record is speaking for themselves and as Tommy Griffin is a selector but it's worthy of notice if nothing else.

It's like this. The bulk of the West Kerry/Pobalscoil talent was bunched into the 2014 minors (Barry O'Sullivan etc) and the 2015 minors (Mark O'Connor's). They do have more coming through, few good ones next year but this year AND next year there is a ridiculous bunch from the Killarney/East Kerry area, many of whom have played together for 4 years or so. They will constitute 60% or so of the minor panel next year again I'd imagine.
    I mean, Sunday is far from a foregone conclusion, but it's quite conceivable Kerry could be going for 4 in a row at minor level next year and there is talent there capable of achieving it, should that historic opportunity present itself.

Same As wrote:
    Say Mansy spoke twice and scarpered directly after, handy few bob for him nonetheless.

Tbh he wasn't asked that much, and didn't seem massivly confident on the mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Galway are an excellent side. This will be a close one.

Best luck to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Galway are an excellent side. This will be a close one.

Best luck to all involved.

Ya Galway are a very good team alright an you can never tell with Minors. It'll close enough for a good while. Best of luck to the boys anyway. And we should have a good game.

Minors 2-2 to 0-2 up at half time. Turgid game. After singing his praises all year David Clifford is having an off day. David Shaw has stepped up in his place scoring 1-1 (goal set up by Clifford).

Galway dominated for large periods but coulsnt put it on the scoreboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Rotten game littered with mistakes and sloppy play from both sides but it is awfully slippery looking. That moment with Courtney in the first half was bizarre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That ref is definitely not giving Kerry any obvious frees. Galway are getting some very soft ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement