Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Kenmare v Templenoe in Intermediate Final now. That'll be some craic!

Kenmare v Templenoe in Intermediate Final now. That'll be some craic!

Templenoe on a great run of it

Templenoe on a great run of it

Novice Co C'ship 2013
    Junior Co C'ship 2015
    Munster Junior Club 2015
    AI Junior Club - 2015/16

Inter Co C'ship 2016 would make it a seriously impressive couple of years. This is a good Kenmare team though and obviously they will know each other inside out, so very hard to call.

Of course, complicating this to a huge degree is the fact that many Kenmare and Templenoe players go into battle together next weekend in the Co Senior 1/4 final! Interesting few weeks ahead for those lads.

Novice Co C'ship 2013
    Junior Co C'ship 2015
    Munster Junior Club 2015
    AI Junior Club - 2015/16

Inter Co C'ship 2016 would make it a seriously impressive couple of years. This is a good Kenmare team though and obviously they will know each other inside out, so very hard to call.

Of course, complicating this to a huge degree is the fact that many Kenmare and Templenoe players go into battle together next weekend in the Co Senior 1/4 final! Interesting few weeks ahead for those lads.

I remember being socked that they made the u21 club final a few years back they lost to Kerins O'Rahillys,I think they were a Division 3 or 4 club at the time,now they finished above Rahillys in the County League Division One

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Templonoe Gaeltacht was a great game today. Very close, Gaeltacht almost snatched it at the death with Ogie O'Sé missing a goal chance. It was by no means an easy chance but he'll probably feel he should have done better with it.He had a massive game besides however.

Marc O'Se had a real throwback game, Killian Spillane got nothing off him all day, an absolute exhibition.

Templonoe were mightily impressive, I think they will go on to win this competition.

In the earlier game Desmonds were poor against Kenmare, crippled by injuries they were always going to be up against it. They've been knocking on the door in this competition the last 3 years, running St Marys to 2 points in the final last year. It just seems like a competition they are destined not to win. Kenmare were impressive in their own right and will give Tem.plonoe plenty of it in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Fantastic video. Who's the old fella that hasn't lost? I should probably know it.

Fantastic video. Who's the old fella that hasn't lost? I should probably know it.

Christy Killeen, Co board liaison officer. Been with Minors for 3 years or more. A Clare man originally, was a teacher in Tarbert, now retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Kerry will be at home to Dublin, Mayo and Tyrone in the league next year. Hopefully we will have a good league campaign, though I wouldn't mind just barely avoiding relegation if it meant we got to bring in a bunch of new young players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

We need about 5 new young players into the squad. Can anybody predict who the 5 players will be to make the step up?

Hopefully Mark O Connor stays on and is one,but it really is impossible to call the others. We need backs for sure anyway,think we are ok at midfield and forwards though of course new blood in both is always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I know Andrew Barry from my own club Na Gaeil has been training with the Seniors. He was Centre Back with the Juniors this year. He's still a bit young at 19 but might come off the bench in an early league game.

His brother Jack (21) has the potential to make the panel as well at midfield. He spent the summer in America this year and has got faster and stronger. There was a clip of him on FB playing for San Fran in the North American Final fielding with one hand over his man, soloing up the field, hitting the wing back a shoulder and knocking him over, and laying the ball off the a forward to score. He played extremely well against Listowel in the Junior Semi Final by all accounts and dominates the middle. He won a Sigerson Cup medal for UCD this year, starting a good few games and coming off the bench in the final.

Jack played for the Seniors 2 years ago in the McGrath Cup game against ITT that Kerry lost, but has come on leaps and bounds since. I'd expect that both will train with the panel this year and that Jack will get an opportunity early in the league to show that he can play at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Andrew Barry
    Jason Foley

Both already training with panel.

Gavin Crowley
    Cormac Coffey

Always thought Matthew Flaherty from Dingle would make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

looking at the squad and assuming the 3 lads retire, this is how we would be shaping up.

lets assume this would be our starting 15 - ive highlighted the places that we could need to improve on - looking at it like this, actually it does appear we need 2 or 3 new forwards and defo back up in midfield.
    1. Kelly/Kealy
    2. Enright
    3. Griffan
    4. young
    5. murphy
    6. crowley
    7. Begley
    8. moran
    9. maher
    10. darran sullivan
    11. gooch
    12. donnacha
    13. james
    14. sheehan
    15. paul geaney
    16. kelly/kealy
    17. barry john
    18. lyne
    19. morley
    20. o brien
    21. fionn
    22. buckley

after that, we have 4-6 spots on the panel to be filled imo.

i think we need a new half forward, a corner/full forward, corner back, wing back and back up midfielder.

we need to get lads into the action for the Mcgrath cup and have them involved asap. there needs to be at least 3 of them playing in every league game, irregardless of u-21 activity, surely having them involved with the seniors in the league would help them with the u-21s.

what about the likes of Barry Sullivan, Conor Geaney, Michael Burns, Killian Spillane?

from what i see, here are the main front runners from the last 3 teams.

Brian Ó Beaglaioch (An Ghaeltacht) - corner back
    Cormac Coffey (Kerins O’Rahillys) - wing back
    Barry O’Sullivan (Dingle) - midfield
    Micheál Burns (Dr Crokes) - wing forward
    Killian Spillane (Templenoe) - corner forward

Mark O’Connor (Dingle) - Midfielder
    Gavin White (Dr Crokes) - wing back
    Andrew Barry (Na Gaeil) - center back
    Jason Foley (Ballydonoghue) - full back
    Brian O Seanchain (Ballydonoghue) - wing forward
    Conor Geany (Dingle) - corner forward

Sean O’Shea (Kenmare) - center forward
    David Shaw - Full Forward
    David Clifford - Corner forward (2017)

thats 14 players there already, add in Courtney/Ryan in goals and you have some under 21 team this year! we need to be looking at at least 6 or 7 of them lads in with the seniors and 3 or 4 of them starting, no more time to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Conor52

I'd add Daniel O'Brien, Dara Moynihan and Mike Foley to the 2016 list as serious prospects. All three were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'm assuming Donaghy, Aidan, and Marc will head off into the sunset.
    If they don't I think they are taking a severe risk that the decision will be made for them.
    With the overall age profile of the squad, I thin it would be imprudent of Fitzmaurice and co to continue picking them.

A big question is who are the options in terms of free-takers going forward. Deadballs were crucial in the final but the cost in general play of carrying Sheehan is just too high. He is 32 next birthday. he had a very poor championship, he's not getting any faster so I think he might well retire as opposed to being dropped.

I don't think there is much of a overall benefit in playing Donnacha or Colm in the league if they stay on. Unlike the other 4 mentioned I could see them being valuable bench members for a year and possibly two.

Maher and Kealy are both over 30 as well - Maher I could definitely see being one who retires early enough and it wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility to see Kealy's place coming under pressure from the younger candidates.

A lot of people seem to think that oh Kerry won 3 minors in a row after not winning any for 20 years and that automatically they will replace those who retire and these lads are on an automatic conveyor belt to win All-Irelands for Kerry. While the 3 in a row is a positive and there are a fair number of serious prospects there, for the moment that's all they are in terms of senior intercounty football. Prospects. Lots of very good Kerry footballers played on teams who didn't pick up the Tommy Markham during that famine. Lots of lads who looked world-beaters at minor level never kicked on at senior. The numbers of people who have both minor and senior football All-Ireland medals is only a small enough percentage out of those who have either.

Meant to say - just because Marc and Aidan went on to 36, doesn't mean people should be expecting the same of others in the squad. Going that long requires huge dedication and sacrifice. In my opinion anything over 30 is bonus territory in terms of intercounty football.

Darran is another who is over 30 and struggled with injuries.

Young, Enright and Moran are all approaching the 30 mark as well in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What do people think Fitzmaurice will do with the league ?

Last year I noticed that after the first two losses, one of which would have been expected to be a win, he stopped trying out new guys and reverted to using more tried a trusted lineups.

The thinking was probably to get to a SF at least and have a crack at Dublin, which of course happened.

Will he do the same next year or if the early games go poorly will he stick with experimental teams and risk relegation ?

Will he do the same next year or if the early games go poorly will he stick with experimental teams and risk relegation ?

To be honest relegation wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we are looking to challenge in 2018/19.

Tyrone got relegated, but used a lot of u21's. Then they swept Division 2 again using a lot of u21's. They now have a really strong young panel of guys (with 2 years of regular league and Championship experience), who were a poor Darren McCurry shot from potentially being in an All Ireland Final.

It means giving up on next year to get in a young goalkeeper, a half back/full back, a dynamic midfielder, two half forwards and 3 lads to come off the bench to make a Cormac Costello style impact.

Not much to ask for eh?

Also for anyone who hasn't seen the video I was talking about with Jack Barry in America watch this clip from 2.45mins and listen to the praise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Also for anyone who hasn't seen the video I was talking about with Jack Barry in America watch this clip from 2.45mins and listen to the praise.

Link?

What do people think Fitzmaurice will do with the league ?

Last year I noticed that after the first two losses, one of which would have been expected to be a win, he stopped trying out new guys and reverted to using more tried a trusted lineups.

The thinking was probably to get to a SF at least and have a crack at Dublin, which of course happened.

It was agreed in advance that after the first 2 games the U21s wouldn't be playing any more league games.
    In the 3rd league game against Down Podge Connor from Legion, Aidan Walsh from St Marys and Alan Fitzgerald all started. In the 4th game against Donegal, Denis Daly from St Marys and Alan Fitzgerald started again. It was only in the 5th game where it was a starting 15 of established championship players.

Also there was a large amount of lads with injuries early on during the campaign so I'm sure that affected matters quite a bit. The subs bench for the first Dublin game was

Brian Kelly
    Jonathan Lyne
    Padraig O Connor
    Pa Kilkenny
    Brendan O Sullivan
    Jamie O Sullivan
    Gavin O Grady
    Paul O Sullivan
    Marcus Mangan
    Tom O Sullivan
    Conor Cox

Only Kelly in goals and Lyne appeared in the championship at all.

I'd be hoping that there is more thought given to getting as much time into the developing lads as possible as opposed to the established lads. Also have the youngsters on from the start instead of throwing them on the last 10/15 minutes of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jason Foley is supposed to have shown very well with the seniors over the last few months. Sounds like a right good prospect.

Would like to see Begley and Morley driving on after decent beginnings.

Brendan O'Sullivan needs to play a lot. Would like to see some of Barry O'Sullivan and Marc O'Connor if he stays around too.

Not sure how the young forwards from '14 have progressed, but we could probably use a bit of new blood up front, or a change of approach at least. We've become a bit functional in the last few years.

There are several guys who have been around a while you'd like to see sticking their hands up again, I'm thinking of the likes of Kilkenny, Culhane, Lyne.

We should have loads of backs really ready to get amongst it. There are good options in midfield that ought to get loads of non February game time.

Forwards not so sure, we're probably looking for two or three to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Conor52 wrote: »
    I'd add Daniel O'Brien, Dara Moynihan and Mike Foley to the 2016 list as serious prospects. All three were excellent.

Most impressed with Dara Moynihan this year with the Sem and the minors. Can see him slotting nicely into our half forward line in the next 2-3 years. Great break winner, industrious and well able to take a score but possibly a little on the small side at the moment.

Mike Foley or Mike Breen? Foley failed to kick on this year and his size advantage at minor is beginning to wain as he goes up the ages. Breen might be lacking that yard of pace imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Boom__Boom wrote: »

A big question is who are the options in terms of free-takers going forward. Deadballs were crucial in the final but the cost in general play of carrying Sheehan is just too high.

Alan Fitzgerald fits the bill here for me,Was flawless from set pieces all throughout the league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Alan Fitzgerald fits the bill here for me,Was flawless from set pieces all throughout the league
    What happened him?

Rumours on Pundit Arena that Gooch is retiring.

Don't know how reliable their source is.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Rumours on Pundit Arena that Gooch is retiring.

Don't know how reliable their source is.

Just seen that as well

http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/thepateam/colm-cooper-retire-intercounty-football/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ct8TECwXEAAavJn.jpg

No comment :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I know I can't believe Longford and Fermanagh got so much

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement