Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Rumours on Pundit Arena that Gooch is retiring.

Don't know how reliable their source is.

Thought he announced a few weeks ago that he was staying on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Thought he announced a few weeks ago that he was staying on

He said he'd listen to his body and if his body was able for it he'd stay on.

Heard nothing more apart from the Pundit Arena who had a "source close to the camp'.

Most likely bollox but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Rumours on Pundit Arena that Gooch is retiring.

Don't know how reliable their source is.

Pundit arena is a pile of click bait sh*te.
    Every article is " you wont believe this change on the Dublin team", etc and then the actual source is some lad on twitter who hasnt a clue and the whole thing doesnt come to fruition.

Most of their stuff is robbed off other people anyway. No one click on the link as thats what they want!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I hope he gives it one more year, hes mighty to watch, did Donaghy retire?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Same As wrote: »

Mike Foley or Mike Breen? Foley failed to kick on this year and his size advantage at minor is beginning to wain as he goes up the ages. Breen might be lacking that yard of pace imo.

i assume he is talking about the wing back Michael Foley, from Ballydonoghue and brother of Jason.

another serious prospect, one of Kerrys outstanding players this year and a joy to watch him. both ear marked for Kerry seniors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Conor52

Most impressed with Dara Moynihan this year with the Sem and the minors. Can see him slotting nicely into our half forward line in the next 2-3 years. Great break winner, industrious and well able to take a score but possibly a little on the small side at the moment.

Mike Foley or Mike Breen? Foley failed to kick on this year and his size advantage at minor is beginning to wain as he goes up the ages. Breen might be lacking that yard of pace imo.

I was thinking of Micheál Foley Ballydonoghue who was pretty good all year i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

cms88 wrote: »
    Pundit arena is a pile of click bait sh*te.
    Every article is " you wont believe this change on the Dublin team", etc and then the actual source is some lad on twitter who hasnt a clue and the whole thing doesnt come to fruition.

Most of their stuff is robbed off other people anyway. No one click on the link as thats what they want!

Much the same as the ladbible, balls.ie, joe.ie and all the other clickbait sh1te that has infested social media the last year or two

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Pundit Arena used to be good in its infancy until it realised, like pretty much every Irish news/sports/current affairs website, that clicks = advertising = money

Fair enough and leave them to it, they lost my interest some time ago, the only major gripe I'd have with them is the students they hire to flake through twitter/reddit/boards etc. and regurgitate rumours/stories with no solid basis, calling themselves 'journalists'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

We packed in our site because the **** you have to produce to make any money is soul destroying, 'LAD' sewerage. Just do the scores now.

Deleted my Facebook soon after packing in the website because I was fed up of 'You won't believe what Conor McGregor's new favourite biscuit is' articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Anyone have any thoughts on the games this weekend? Rahillys supposed to have partly left it behind them against Crokes last weekend. Dingle Crokes should be an excellent game.

Kenmare were very impressive last weekend against Stacks and you would expect them to account for Rathmore. My only concern would be the Intermediate final looming over the Templenoe & Kenmare lads - a strange situation to be in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

keane2097 wrote: »
    We packed in our site because the **** you have to produce to make any money is soul destroying, 'LAD' sewerage. Just do the scores now.

Deleted my Facebook soon after packing in the website because I was fed up of 'You won't believe what Conor McGregor's new favourite biscuit is' articles.

Chocolate McVities surely?

D'Agger wrote: »
    Pundit Arena used to be good in its infancy until it realised, like pretty much every Irish news/sports/current affairs website, that clicks = advertising = money

Fair enough and leave them to it, they lost my interest some time ago, the only major gripe I'd have with them is the students they hire to flake through twitter/reddit/boards etc. and regurgitate rumours/stories with no solid basis, calling themselves 'journalists'

The main problem i have is the amount of stuff they just straight up rod from other people and claim as their own. Whats worse if someone calls them up on it they block and delete the persons comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The main problem i have is the amount of stuff they just straight up rod from other people and claim as their own. Whats worse if someone calls them up on it they block and delete the persons comments.

Theres a certain irony here- one of your comments above is copied word for word from the Kerry GAA forum!!!

Theres a certain irony here- one of your comments above is copied word for word from the Kerry GAA forum!!!

Maybe as im the same person.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Four lads nominated for All Stars

Shane Enright
    Killian Young
    Paul Geaney
    Paul Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Shane Enright
    Killian Young
    Paul Geaney
    Paul Murphy

It's silly stuff altogether.
    I know sentiment comes into it and there's no point going on about it but for example Tipp have more nominations than Kerry. Now fair play to them for a breakthrough year but Kerry did wipe the floor with them when they met.

Shane Enright
    Killian Young
    Paul Geaney
    Paul Murphy

Griffin possibly the only one who could feel aggrieved about not receiving a nod, would have had him ahead of Killian.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Griffin possibly the only one who could feel aggrieved about not receiving a nod, would have had him ahead of Killian.

I'd have Moran there also.
    And I don't see any goalkeeper on that list that stood out.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

It's silly stuff altogether.
    I know sentiment comes into it and there's no point going on about it but for example Tipp have more nominations than Kerry. Now fair play to them for a breakthrough year but Kerry did wipe the floor with them when they met.

Tipp got more nominations because they had a great run and played more high-profile games. They played Cork, Kerry, Derry, Galway and Mayo.
    Kerry played Clare x2, Tipp and Dublin. The Clare games were complete non-events, so Kerry players essentially being judged on two games. Geaney was absolutely brilliant in both, so he'll get an All-Star, v hard for anyone else to get a look-in.

Maybe as im the same person.....

No you aint you oul scamp- I know the person and also know their boards handle!! You're a rascal though

• Advertisement

I'd have Moran there also.
    And I don't see any goalkeeper on that list that stood out.

Moran beat Brennan out the gate and got the better of Fenton in the semi final yet both of them are nominated for an All Star and Fenton for player of the year- a bit baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Moran beat Brennan out the gate and got the better of Fenton in the semi final yet both of them are nominated for an All Star and Fenton for player of the year- a bit baffling

Disagree on that point tbh - thought Fenton wiped him out last year, and while Moran had more of a ding-dong battle with him this year which was one of the highlights of the championship for me, I still think Fenton had the upper hand

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think it was close between them too. I didn't want to comment as some might think I was just being a Dublin supporter, but I don't really remember Fenton or Moran being great in that game or wining any battle, certainly Moran improved on his 2015 final performance.

I still think Griffin is worth a mention he was very sold against Dublin and has more of the stuff needed in him then even Enright imo.

Don't think Moran notably beat Fenton in the Semi, they pretty much broke even, if anything Fenton ended up marginally on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Don't think Moran notably beat Fenton in the Semi, they pretty much broke even, if anything Fenton ended up marginally on top.

Not from where I was watching from.
    I thought Moran was clearly on top.
    Maybe Fenton has had a better year overall but in fairness he lost that battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

TITANIUM. wrote:
    Not from where I was watching from. I thought Moran was clearly on top. Maybe Fenton has had a better year overall but in fairness he lost that battle.
    Sure what is midfield now anyway, Flynn and Murphy to name one from each side were practically in midfield that day too.

All I can so to that really is that you may need to watch it back

All I can so to that really is that you may need to watch it back

Sadly not available online, nor do I have it recorded so I'll just have to stick to my opinion I guess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

The Allstars these days are funny to watch. The whims and fancies of a few pundits and journalists suddenly end up being accepted fact and translate into All Star nominations or indeed an award itself.

On the nominees, yeah there's a few things that don't make sense but there's nobody left out who would have got an award either. Gary Brennan being nominated having been anonymous in his teams biggest game of the year is very patronising in my view for one thing. Doesn't matter hugely though.

Paul Geaney is guaranteed an award anyway as he is mentioned in every circulated 15. It's well deserved too. To come from being crocked 4/5 years ago, to the point where you wondered if he'd ever make Kerry Senior, to where he is now, is a massive credit to the lad. Sigerson Cup winning captain, All Ireland winner and now probably Allstar. Lot more to come aswell and a certain future captain I would hope.

Shane Enright deserves one as much as Brendan Harrison or Philly McMahon IMO anyway. He kept Conor Sweeney and Bernard Brogan quiet. He'll probably fall victim to the fact that he had only 2 (1.5 really!) "big" games this year, Munster Final and Dublin game, whereas the Dublin and Mayo lads had 3 or more.

Not going to go through the rest of it, but the fact Kilkenny is nominated for POTY is ridiculous. I couldn't give 2 sh*ts about what his possession count is, he created very little and scored very little this year. He had a shot from 20m on his strong foot in the All Ireland final and dropped it short. This isn't Allstar form, let alone POTY. At his best, he is a class act and a brilliant player, but he is nowhere near top 3 in the game this year ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looks like Mark O Connor wants a career in the AFL

THREE clubs are in the race to sign Irish prospect Mark O'Connor, who finished his stint in Australia with an excellent run at the NAB AFL Draft Combine.

Geelong, North Melbourne and Melbourne are understood to be keen to sign the 19-year-old, who travelled to Melbourne from Ireland for last weekend's combine at Etihad Stadium.

O'Connor trialed at five clubs (the three chasing his signature plus Essendon and Carlton) during his two-week stay, but has headed back to Ireland to make a decision on where he wants to start his AFL career. He can be signed as a category B rookie.

The 189cm youngster from County Kerry, who is considered one of the brightest prospects in Gaelic football, came fourth overall in the 3km time trial on Sunday with a time of 9:56 to close out his time at the combine before flying back to Ireland.

"I do want to pursue an AFL career. It's definitely something I want to do. It's hard work but it's just so rewarding," he told AFL.com.au.

"At home it's all amateur sport and there's no professionals in the game at all. To be able to spend all of my time trying to improve my game is something that I'd like.

"I'll go back home and talk to my parents and talk things through and see what's on the table."

O'Connor said he was taken aback by his time at AFL clubs and the size of the facilities, and he also attended the Western Bulldogs' Grand Final win over the Sydney Swans earlier this month. 

An AFL career was not on his radar until he was asked to test at the International Combine in Ireland earlier this year.

"What I've learned over the past few weeks is everything happens quickly in the AFL. Only a couple of months ago Tadhg Kennelly invited me to the combine held in Ireland and I had played a lot of Gaelic football growing up," O'Connor said.

"There's a few Irish guys out here now and they've opened the door for me to come through the system. I went to the combine in Ireland and Tadhg was interested in bringing me out to see how I'd go against these guys."

O'Connor trained alongside the country's most talented draft hopefuls ahead of the NAB All Stars game on Grand Final eve and impressed recruiters with his clean overhead marking and tidy kicking.

He said he had been "messing about" with the ball in his hands while back at home but had not practiced kicking before landing in Melbourne.

"I looked at all the videos on YouTube about how to kick a footy and that's great, but you need someone next to you and I had absolutely no experience with the ball," O'Connor said.

"I also didn't want to get into any bad habits with my kicking so I waited until I got to Australia before I started to kick the ball, and Tadhg took me for a couple of sessions. I felt more comfortable then under his watchful eye

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-10/three-clubs-circling-irish-prospect-mark-oconnor

Dam you Tadhg anyway and your Aussie Rules

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement