Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

He looks like he has all the attributes needed to make it out there. He was an incredible minor. Good luck to him.

It's a pity for Kerry, as he is exactly the type of player we are missing at senior level and would almost certainly have gone on to be a star in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Marc O Se has retired :(

one of the greatest weve ever had and sadly, the last of the great O Se clan is now packing up his boots also.

thanks for all the memories marc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Peileadóir den chéad scoth ab ea é.

What a player and what a servant Marc was. In a way, was restrained by being a corner back but quite often sallied forth and showed he could play as much as most other players. His record speaks for itself and those who saw him play will testify to his class always. He would be a great example to young defenders on how to play the game, without any goading, gamesmanship or any of this bullsh*t that seems to be an accepted part of defenders playbook nowdays.

Last of the great trio of brothers to depart the scene, which without getting weepy about, means it truly is the end of an era going back to 1995 at least.

Plenty of footage of big games Marc played on youtube, but this one is a good example of the drive and skill he had. Needing a point to level a championship game, he's not content to just leave it to the forwards, he goes up and does it himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4hIJE0Paw4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Major Fundraiser for Centre of Excellence includes DVD Launch

A Gala Fundraiser evening and dinner jointly hosted by Kerry GAA and Kerry Group to honour our winning Senior Football All-Ireland winning teams from 1997 to 2014 will be held in the INEC Killarney on Saturday November 19th.

A specially commissioned DVD featuring the players and teams of the period will be launched on the night which will be a follow up to the very popular Golden Years video.

The proceeds of the event will be used towards the cost of completing the Centre of Excellence in Currans which is due to be ready in the spring of 2017. County Chairman Patrick O’Sullivan said that this dinner afforded the people of Kerry an opportunity to play their part in the fundraising drive for the Centre of Excellence; “We are hoping for a good response from business people and GAA members and supporters from all around the county. The DVD of Kerry victories since 1997 will be launched on the night. Interestingly, a DVD of the original Golden Years is still popular and this year we sold 500 copies in the Kerry GAA Store. We would be hoping to raise between €80,000 to €100,000 for Currans, and as all our fundraisers have been aboard we thought it would be only right to allow the GAA family in Kerry to feel that they had made a contribution to the fantastic facility that will be Currans”.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Well. Im a long time lurker here. Is there no O Shea involved in the panel now?

• Advertisement

beertons wrote: »
    Well. Im a long time lurker here. Is there no O Shea involved in the panel now?

Marc is the last of them. Paudi junior (paudi o'se's son) is a good club player with an Gaeltacht but doesn't look like he will be making the county team. It looks to be the end of an era. Surely the best GAA family in history?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just doing a bit of research there. If the three O'Se brothers were to combine their All Ireland medals, they would lie third on the Roll of Honour (seven more than Galway's 9). Together with uncle Paidi, they have only two less than Dublin's current total of 26. All four have been involved in just short of 40% of Kerry's All Ireland's in history.

His retirement truly is the end of an era that has spanned five decades.

In my eyes, undoubtedly the greatest GAA family of all time.

Marc O Se was a total footballer,he could a job anywhere along the back line

Stylish and skillful but with that O Se toughness as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Just to echo what has been said here, Best of Luck to Marc.

A great servant, and will be regarded as one of the great corner backs.

As long as I've watched football the Ó'Sé's have been playing. It's the end of an era.

Maybe time for the next generation of Spillane's to step up or the Geaney's?

5 Time All Ireland Winner, and a real legend of Kerry football.

?width=630&version=888543

1044878.jpg

85946_54_news_hub_81776_656x500.jpg

Marc_o_se_app.jpg

marcose.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The Allstars these days are funny to watch. The whims and fancies of a few pundits and journalists suddenly end up being accepted fact and translate into All Star nominations or indeed an award itself.

On the nominees, yeah there's a few things that don't make sense but there's nobody left out who would have got an award either. Gary Brennan being nominated having been anonymous in his teams biggest game of the year is very patronising in my view for one thing. Doesn't matter hugely though.

Paul Geaney is guaranteed an award anyway as he is mentioned in every circulated 15. It's well deserved too. To come from being crocked 4/5 years ago, to the point where you wondered if he'd ever make Kerry Senior, to where he is now, is a massive credit to the lad. Sigerson Cup winning captain, All Ireland winner and now probably Allstar. Lot more to come aswell and a certain future captain I would hope.

Shane Enright deserves one as much as Brendan Harrison or Philly McMahon IMO anyway. He kept Conor Sweeney and Bernard Brogan quiet. He'll probably fall victim to the fact that he had only 2 (1.5 really!) "big" games this year, Munster Final and Dublin game, whereas the Dublin and Mayo lads had 3 or more.

Not going to go through the rest of it, but the fact Kilkenny is nominated for POTY is ridiculous. I couldn't give 2 sh*ts about what his possession count is, he created very little and scored very little this year. He had a shot from 20m on his strong foot in the All Ireland final and dropped it short. This isn't Allstar form, let alone POTY. At his best, he is a class act and a brilliant player, but he is nowhere near top 3 in the game this year ffs.

While I agree on the Kilkenny issue I think your wrong about Enright keeping Brogan quiet. Scored three points and drew four fouls which Rock converted, that in an mans book is a good return.

• Advertisement

Why I really came here was to wish Marc all the best in his retirement, what a player he has been. A role model for kids all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Best of luck to Marc. Great player and true sportsman.

the fact that this is major national news, just shows how good a player he is.

and seems to be respected up and down the country.

id expect 1 from Star and Mahoney to stay on.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    While I agree on the Kilkenny issue I think your wrong about Enright keeping Brogan quiet. Scored three points and drew four fouls which Rock converted, that in an mans book is a good return.

eh? he got one point from what i recall and there was 1 foul from Shane. on both occasions, there was a man over and Shane was left in a 2 v 1.

Brogan was so tightly marked and so out of the game, that there were calls for him to be dropped for the final, which then actually happened in the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

eh? he got one point from what i recall and there was 1 foul from Shane. on both occasions, there was a man over and Shane was left in a 2 v 1.

I think he scored two and won two frees.

Brogan was so tightly marked and so out of the game, that there were calls for him to be dropped for the final, which then actually happened in the replay.

Apologies, it was only two points and 2/3 frees. It was far from quiet he was though. Any was it's all about Marc this week, a great servant to the game, not just Kerry.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Apologies, it was only two points and 2/3 frees. It was far from quiet he was though. Any was it's all about Marc this week, a great servant to the game, not just Kerry.

check back through for ratings of the game and this is the first one i found -
    Bernard Brogan - 5
    A poor game from Brogan, finding his attacking force blunted by some superb Kerry defending by Shane Enright.

i was playing a game last week, scored 2 points and had a great goal effort saved by the keeper and i was taken off at half time-> its possible to be beaten by your man for every ball and yet end up with scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It always seemed to me that Marc O'Sé would have been a much better centre/wing back than corner back who never got enough of a chance to play in the half back line.Any reason why he was restricted to the corner and not given more of a chance in the half back line?

check back through for ratings of the game and this is the first one i found -

i was playing a game last week, scored 2 points and had a great goal effort saved by the keeper and i was taken off at half time-> its possible to be beaten by your man for every ball and yet end up with scores.

That is someones opinion. Stats are stats. But that was you and your manager knows you're good for a half

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

It always seemed to me that Marc O'Sé would have been a much better centre/wing back than corner back who never got enough of a chance to play in the half back line.Any reason why he was restricted to the corner and not given more of a chance in the half back line?

I thought that too. He played as a forward mostly at underage. Maybe it was more to do with options in certain positions being stronger than others.

• Advertisement

100%. He ended up in the full back line purely out of necessity. Kerry had a bit of a shortage in the full back line when he came through and his versatility meant that's where the opening was. He wasn't really an out and out corner back.

Same thing happened to seamus Moynihan who spent his best years as a full back despite being the best half back in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

the fact that this is major national news, just shows how good a player he is.

and seems to be respected up and down the country.

id expect 1 from Star and Mahoney to stay on.

I'd be gobsmacked if Donaghy stayed on given his involvement with the basketball team and the autobiography coming out.

I don't think there's a starting place for either O'Mahoney or Sheehan and I think it would be wiser over the longer term to have younger lads on the bench in my opinion.

Even with all 4 of Marc, Aidan, Kieran and Sheehan gone from the squad, you would still have Cooper, Donnacha, Maher, Darran, Kealy and Killian Young who will all be over 30 before Kerry's next competitive game, so it's not as if there is going to be a squad without experience/leadership.

Also if it's only Marc who goes this year, not only are they blocking the path of younger lads into the panel, it's just delaying the inevitable and increases the risk of 5/6/7 players retiring in one fell swoop in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Looks like Mark O Connor wants a career in the AFL

THREE clubs are in the race to sign Irish prospect Mark O'Connor, who finished his stint in Australia with an excellent run at the NAB AFL Draft Combine.

Geelong, North Melbourne and Melbourne are understood to be keen to sign the 19-year-old, who travelled to Melbourne from Ireland for last weekend's combine at Etihad Stadium.

O'Connor trialed at five clubs (the three chasing his signature plus Essendon and Carlton) during his two-week stay, but has headed back to Ireland to make a decision on where he wants to start his AFL career. He can be signed as a category B rookie.

The 189cm youngster from County Kerry, who is considered one of the brightest prospects in Gaelic football, came fourth overall in the 3km time trial on Sunday with a time of 9:56 to close out his time at the combine before flying back to Ireland.

"I do want to pursue an AFL career. It's definitely something I want to do. It's hard work but it's just so rewarding," he told AFL.com.au.

"At home it's all amateur sport and there's no professionals in the game at all. To be able to spend all of my time trying to improve my game is something that I'd like.

"I'll go back home and talk to my parents and talk things through and see what's on the table."

O'Connor said he was taken aback by his time at AFL clubs and the size of the facilities, and he also attended the Western Bulldogs' Grand Final win over the Sydney Swans earlier this month. 

An AFL career was not on his radar until he was asked to test at the International Combine in Ireland earlier this year.

"What I've learned over the past few weeks is everything happens quickly in the AFL. Only a couple of months ago Tadhg Kennelly invited me to the combine held in Ireland and I had played a lot of Gaelic football growing up," O'Connor said.

"There's a few Irish guys out here now and they've opened the door for me to come through the system. I went to the combine in Ireland and Tadhg was interested in bringing me out to see how I'd go against these guys."

O'Connor trained alongside the country's most talented draft hopefuls ahead of the NAB All Stars game on Grand Final eve and impressed recruiters with his clean overhead marking and tidy kicking.

He said he had been "messing about" with the ball in his hands while back at home but had not practiced kicking before landing in Melbourne.

"I looked at all the videos on YouTube about how to kick a footy and that's great, but you need someone next to you and I had absolutely no experience with the ball," O'Connor said.

"I also didn't want to get into any bad habits with my kicking so I waited until I got to Australia before I started to kick the ball, and Tadhg took me for a couple of sessions. I felt more comfortable then under his watchful eye

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-10/three-clubs-circling-irish-prospect-mark-oconnor

Dam you Tadhg anyway and your Aussie Rules

I'm going to show myself up here for my lack of knowledge of underage Kerry teams, but was Mark O'Connor a major player in the Kerry minor team?

I know in this recent team that David Clifford was the star, but in the previous team under O'Connor was Mark O'Connor one of the main stars of the team?

mystic86 wrote: »
    I'm going to show myself up here for my lack of knowledge of underage Kerry teams, but was Mark O'Connor a major player in the Kerry minor team?

I know in this recent team that David Clifford was the star, but in the previous team under O'Connor was Mark O'Connor one of the main stars of the team?

Yes he stood out on the minors last year and was motm in the final. He was also motm in the hogan cup final (two years running iirc) for his school in dingle. He was a certain star of the future and is exactly the type of player we are missing at the moment. Huge loss to Kerry football IMO.

Hopefully the likes of Clifford and Sean o'se can be kept at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

mickeyk wrote: »
    Yes he stood out on the minors last year and was motm in the final. He was also motm in the hogan cup final (two years running iirc) for his school in dingle. He was a certain star of the future and is exactly the type of player we are missing at the moment. Huge loss to Kerry football IMO.

Hopefully the likes of Clifford and Sean o'se can be kept at home.

crap! terrible news!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I'd be gobsmacked if Donaghy stayed on given his involvement with the basketball team and the autobiography coming out.

I don't think there's a starting place for either O'Mahoney or Sheehan and I think it would be wiser over the longer term to have younger lads on the bench in my opinion.

Even with all 4 of Marc, Aidan, Kieran and Sheehan gone from the squad, you would still have Cooper, Donnacha, Maher, Darran, Kealy and Killian Young who will all be over 30 before Kerry's next competitive game, so it's not as if there is going to be a squad without experience/leadership.

Also if it's only Marc who goes this year, not only are they blocking the path of younger lads into the panel, it's just delaying the inevitable and increases the risk of 5/6/7 players retiring in one fell swoop in a year or two./b]

A few guys retiring this year would also force Fitzmaurice's hand when it comes to squad selection..

He has been very loyal to the older members of the squad, possibly at the expense of some young guys getting experience.

If those older guys are not there, he can't pick them.

A few guys retiring this year would also force Fitzmaurice's hand when it comes to squad selection..

He has been very loyal to the older members of the squad, possibly at the expense of some young guys getting experience.

If those older guys are not there, he can't pick them.

Definitely, I'm not sure the younger lads were ready up until now though. For all the criticism of him sticking with the old guard who was he supposed to bring in? Would certainly expect to see 3-5 new faces next year and hopefully everyone fit. It could be a big improvement on this year.

Should be a cracking county final Sunday,two teams that like to play open attacking football,I think Crokes will just nick it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Wet day in Killarney today.

The Junior Final was poor with the wet weather playing havok with the shots on goal.

Na Gaeil gave as good as they got and had good spells of posession, without troubling the scoreboad much. They led 4 points to 2 for the majority of the first half.

However Glenbeigh's Division 1 experience and coolness in front of goal stood to them in the final 5 minutes of the half as Darran O'Sullivan slipped in behind for a goal, before Gavin O'Grady slotted 2 lovely points to leave Glenbeigh up at half time 1-4 to 0-4.

The second half started with a bang as stunningly Glenbeigh's corner forward avoided a Rwd card for an elbow to the head of the Na Gaeil corner back. In fact the offender didn't even pick up a yellow it seems. This set the tone for the second half which was very scrappy and littered with high tackles and players lashing out.

Glenbeigh found themselves down to 14 men after Tom Cahill kicked out at Ian McCarthy and picked up a Red Card. Less than 2 minutes later McCarthy (who was quite fired up and talking a lot) founs himself on the receiving ens of a headbutt to the back of the head from Stephen O'Sullivan,in front of the linesman. The red card came out and Glenbeigh found themselves down to 13 men, with the score at 1-4 to 0-6. Darragh Carmody missed the 21m free and things fell apart for Na Gaeil.

Glenbeigh stepped up and ended up opening up a 3 point lead at 1-6 to 0-6, with full time looming. Na Gaeil on the other hand, looked panicked and kicked a number of easy wides as time ticked down.

Points from Mike Griffin and Darragh Carmody closed the gap to 1 point as the game went into the 4th minute of injury time. David Culloty came forward and kicked the equalizing score with the last kick of the game.

Na Gaeil had plenty of chances to grab the game by the scruff of the neck with 10 minutes to go and two extra men, but Glenbeigh will be raging they threw away a 3 point lead.

In the less important game Crokes looked far too strong for Kenmare. Looney, Casey and Gooch were brilliant. Adrian Spillane had a stormer for Kenmare. Pa Clifford was flying but appeared to pick up a bad shoulder injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Wet day in Killarney today.

The Junior Final was poor with the wet weather playing havok with the shots on goal.

Na Gaeil gave as good as they got and had good spells of posession, without troubling the scoreboad much. They led 4 points to 2 for the majority of the first half.

However Glenbeigh's Division 1 experience and coolness in front of goal stood to them in the final 5 minutes of the half as Darran O'Sullivan slipped in behind for a goal, before Gavin O'Grady slotted 2 lovely points to leave Glenbeigh up at half time 1-4 to 0-4.

The second half started with a bang as stunningly Glenbeigh's corner forward avoided a Rwd card for an elbow to the head of the Na Gaeil corner back. In fact the offender didn't even pick up a yellow it seems. This set the tone for the second half which was very scrappy and littered with high tackles and players lashing out.

Glenbeigh found themselves down to 14 men after Tom Cahill kicked out at Ian McCarthy and picked up a Red Card. Less than 2 minutes later McCarthy (who was quite fired up and talking a lot) founs himself on the receiving ens of a headbutt to the back of the head from Stephen O'Sullivan,in front of the linesman. The red card came out and Glenbeigh found themselves down to 13 men, with the score at 1-4 to 0-6. Darragh Carmody missed the 21m free and things fell apart for Na Gaeil.

Glenbeigh stepped up and ended up opening up a 3 point lead at 1-6 to 0-6, with full time looming. Na Gaeil on the other hand, looked panicked and kicked a number of easy wides as time ticked down.

Points from Mike Griffin and Darragh Carmody closed the gap to 1 point as the game went into the 4th minute of injury time. David Culloty came forward and kicked the equalizing score with the last kick of the game.

Na Gaeil had plenty of chances to grab the game by the scruff of the neck with 10 minutes to go and two extra men, but Glenbeigh will be raging they threw away a 3 point lead.

In the less important game Crokes looked far too strong for Kenmare. Looney, Casey and Gooch were brilliant. Adrian Spillane had a stormer for Kenmare. Pa Clifford was flying but appeared to pick up a bad shoulder injury.

Cooper as Kerry captain next year.

Crokes just looked that bit better all over the field. Kieran O'Leary had a very good game. Too many of Kenmare's big names didnt do enough.

I could see Crokes having a very decent chance in terms of winning Munster but beyond that I'm not sure their defence is strong enough in terms of the All-Ireland. Whoever wins Clare will only have a week to recover. Neither Kilmurry or Cratloe are likely to have any fear of Crokes especially given past history of the games between them and the game is on in Clare.

Also Crokes winning and the overall level of performances this year under Pat O'Shea compared to last year under Peadar Healy are worlds apart. I wouldn't be a bit shocked if Cork "underperform" in Division 2 next year.

Draw probably a fair result in the junior. 2nd half got nasty enough.

Intermediate final will be interesting with the injuries. Clifford a big loss for Templenoe.

Odds are strong that there will be a fair few missing from league duty for Kerry again because of club commitments between senior, intermediate and junior.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement