Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Interview with Kieran Donaghy in today's Sunday Times...direct quote

"I've been blessed to be on this amazing journey.If you're able to play for Kerry,why not keep going?The big question now is whither the body is able.If not,there's no point being there.My plan is to play some basketball,and see how the body is by the spring.I'll meet up with Eamon(Fitzmaurice) early during the league.And if I feel I can offer something,I might go again"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

seligehgit wrote: »
    Interview with Kieran Donaghy in today's Sunday Times...direct quote

"I've been blessed to be on this amazing journey.If you're able to play for Kerry,why not keep going?The big question now is whither the body is able.If not,there's no point being there.My plan is to play some basketball,and see how the body is by the spring.I'll meet up with Eamon(Fitzmaurice) early during the league.And if I feel I can offer something,I might go again"

i think if used correctly, there is room for Donaghy and Mahoney in the team.

priority must be given to the young lads though and both of the above off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Long extract from his book in the Examiner today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Radio5 wrote: »
    Long extract from his book in the Examiner today.

Going by the extract its going to be as poor as Darragh and Tomas' books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Mark O Connor has signed a rookie contract with Geelong. Best of luck to him. Can't fault a man trying to make a living from sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

dobman88 wrote:
    Mark O Connor has signed a rookie contract with Geelong. Best of luck to him. Can't fault a man trying to make a living from sport.

I've heard he had a promise of knee surgery, to fix the knee problems wih one of the clubs. Hopefully it was Geelong.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

dobman88 wrote: »

He seems to have his feet on the ground from the interview today on RnaG. Picked a smallish town to settle into on purpose etc. Hopefully he'll come back and give us a few years at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Tis quiet in here lads...

wonga77 wrote:

Crokes playing this weekend.

Was away in America so missed seeing my own club Na Gaeil go down to Glenbeigh in the Junior Final. Hammered by the sounds of it.

The had the chance the first day it seems.

wonga77 wrote:

Was away in America so missed seeing my own club Na Gaeil go down to Glenbeigh in the Junior Final. Hammered by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement

Hop Ball on in the Torc hotel Killarney tonight. Formerly Darby o Gills. Hosted by Dara O Cinneide, it's like a Q&A session and will have Darran in attendance with Ciaran Kilkenny and Brian Fenton afaik. I can't make it cos I've got training but sound like a brilliant night is in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

DDC1990 wrote: »

Yeah Id say the first day was their chance, failing to capitalize against 13 men will sicken them for a while but thems the breaks, a pity for them but Na Gaeil are strong and will be there or thereabouts again next year. GG are far too strong for junior, they should really have won this well before now

http://www.the42.ie/afl-europe-combine-ucd-3078415-Nov2016/

Though names aren't released, in one of the pictures appears to be Stefan Okunbor from Na Gaeil.

I wonder how many other Kerry players were at this trial?

?width=630&version=3078483

EDIT: Definitely Stef, seen wearing a CBS training top with Jackie Power travel on it, in another photo, on INPHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Tadhg should be barred from Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tadhg should be barred from Kerry

Wasn't just him to be fair wasn't Clarke with him too. I never know what to think of these lads , throw our Jim stynes in there too I remember as a kid reading about how his one remaining ambition was to win an AI with Dublin, that was around 1991 and we were there or there abouts until 1995 and wouldn't have done it without Brian Stynes. But 1991,92,93 would have been nice to have had Jim Stynes in midfield.
    But there's only a handful of returning hero stories and I wonder who are we to judge these guys, yet I wonder about some of their motives

Fixtures confirmed for next year

The footballers will open away to Donegal on Saturday February 5th.

Kerry host Mayo in Tralee the following Saturday and will be home to Monaghan on the 26th, in Killarney.

Sunday March 5th sees the Kingdom at Roscommon, they welcome Dublin to Tralee on Saturday the 18th and go to Cavan on the 26th.

The final round on Sunday April 2nd has Kerry home to Tyrone in Killarney.

The hurlers begin at home to Laois on Sunday the 12th of February.

Kerry are at Limerick on Sunday the 19th of February and away to Wexford on Sunday March 5th.

Kerry finish with 2 home ties, Sunday March 12th against Galway and on the 26th against Offaly.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/gaa-confirms-kerrys-allianz-league-fixtures-for-2017/

Maurice Fitzgerald Set To Join Kerry Senior Football Management Team

He will be appointed as a selector at this evening’s meeting of County Committee, replacing Diarmuid Murphy.

Fitzgerald retired from inter county football in 2001, winning two Senior All-Ireland titles.

Tonight’s meeting of County Committee is on at 8 in the Business and IT Building in the North Campus of IT Tralee.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/maurice-fitzgerald-set-to-join-kerry-senior-football-management-team/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

OK Lads name 3 players you would like to see get an extended run in the league.

I am going to leave out U21 players as they will be tied up for the majority of the league (Fingers crossed)

Shane Murphy
    Alan Fitzgerald
    Brendan O Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Prop Joe wrote: »
    OK Lads name 3 players you would like to see get an extended run in the league.

I am going to leave out U21 players as they will be tied up for the majority of the league (Fingers crossed)

Shane Murphy
    Alan Fitzgerald
    Brendan O Sullivan

I'd have my doubts about Shane Murphy, but he'll be tied up with Crokes for a bit anyway possibly?
    Certainly the other 2 deserve a run and it's a pity both missed the main action this year.
    Gavin Crowley and Killian Spillane from Templenoe would be deserving of a look. There are less talented players than Adrian Spillane who have got a look aswell although ultimately he probably doesn't have the attributes for either midfield or half forward at the highest level.
    Denis Daly was a guy I liked the look of a lot, but apart from 10 minutes (when he got a silly black card) against Donegal, he wasn't seen much.

Outside that, there are several u21s, but as mentioned they will be focusing on that grade. Gavin White is playing good stuff for Crokes now that I mention it.

Tommy Walsh? Will he get any closer to the form he showed in 2008 and 2009? Maybe that's unrealistic.

I think any other potential panelists are going to be from the u21 ranks to be honest. Mark O'Connor would have been top of the list, but he's gone.
    Brian Begley will continue to improve hopefully. The other one I would really like to see kick on is Jason Foley. This guy is made of good stuff and has the attributes of a quality modern player. Under 21 is very important next season though so we won't see those guys until April/May at least mainly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Maurice Fitzgerald Set To Join Kerry Senior Football Management Team

He will be appointed as a selector at this evening’s meeting of County Committee, replacing Diarmuid Murphy.

Fitzgerald retired from inter county football in 2001, winning two Senior All-Ireland titles.

Tonight’s meeting of County Committee is on at 8 in the Business and IT Building in the North Campus of IT Tralee.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/maurice-fitzgerald-set-to-join-kerry-senior-football-management-team/

Great to see Maurice being involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I've always been sketchy on the idea that U21s should concentrate on U21 above everything else.

If there's a senior All Ireland to be won and a guy can help to do it I can't see how I'd be convinced that he should be thinking about an U21 team instead. Plenty teams make U21 (and younger) players a big part of their squads and let them play U21 when it comes up.

Clare basically won an All Ireland with an U21 team, which didn't stop them hacking up in the U21 competition either I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

keane2097 wrote: »
    I've always been sketchy on the idea that U21s should concentrate on U21 above everything else.

If there's a senior All Ireland to be won and a guy can help to do it I can't see how I'd be convinced that he should be thinking about an U21 team instead. Plenty teams make U21 (and younger) players a big part of their squads and let them play U21 when it comes up.

Clare basically won an All Ireland with an U21 team, which didn't stop them hacking up in the U21 competition either I might add.

There's a bit of a difference between football and hurling, especially as regards the top teams and the impact of younger guys - you just have to look at the nominations for the Young Player of the Year for football over the last few years and most of the time the biggest factor is getting playing time. In hurling Tony Kelly won both in 2013 and Gleeson did it this year - by comparison none of the Young Player of the Year nominations in Football have even been in consideration for the main Player of the Year over the last few years.

That said I would have been looking to have Mark O'Connor involved with the seniors if he was around. However beyond that I'd be apt to let most of them bide their time - there are a fair few who are over the U21 mark that I would like to see get more game time first like Brendan O'Sullivan, Alan Fitzgerald and Dennis Daly.

On Tommy Walsh, if Donaghy does retire I could see him being a possibility.

The main thing I want to see in the league is the older lads rested - there's zero point in giving them game time as at this stage it's well clear what they bring to the table - have them on the subs bench if needed but start the prospects from the beginning of games.
    I'd have my doubts about Shane Murphy, but he'll be tied up with Crokes for a bit anyway possibly?
    Certainly the other 2 deserve a run and it's a pity both missed the main action this year.

On Shane Murphy I think his kickouts for Crokes have been a major plus for them and I'd rank him a good bit ahead of Kealy and Kelly in terms of how he has performed this year in terms of club peformaces. There's also the fact that he would be a serious option in terms of 45s and longer-distance frees which is something that the Kerry squad could well be a bit short on (especially if Sheehan is struggling to get on the pitch). I think he has done enough to be given a shot. I'm wondering if Crokes might give him an exemption as a goalie to be involved with Kerry - one thing that he would need to work on is getting in sync with the lads in terms of kickout strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

my 3 players are -

Jason Foley
    Gavin White
    Killian Spillane.

Of course, but what I meant was that the U21s will not feature much during the League. I think Fitz tried a strategy of bringing a few of them in the odd time and it had mixed results, but Begley certainly will be around the Senior panel again, maybe more. Up to April though, the u21 championship should be a priority for those players though.
    The last 8 years in a row we have been out of the u21 in March or early April and to have not won a Munster title since 2008 is ridiculous.

The u21 hurling is run more or less concurrently throughout the summer and that helps very much I'd imagine with a squad like that Clare one or Waterford last year. Im the Football, you are dealing with the Sigerson cup being held at the end of February which doesn't help preparation for one thing. There have been a lot of players involved with club teams up to February/March in recent years also. Doesn't make things easy at times,

Boom__Boom wrote: »

On Shane Murphy I think his kickouts for Crokes have been a major plus for them and I'd rank him a good bit ahead of Kealy and Kelly in terms of how he has performed this year in terms of club peformaces. There's also the fact that he would be a serious option in terms of 45s and longer-distance frees which is something that the Kerry squad could well be a bit short on (especially if Sheehan is struggling to get on the pitch). I think he has done enough to be given a shot. I'm wondering if Crokes might give him an exemption as a goalie to be involved with Kerry - one thing that he would need to work on is getting in sync with the lads in terms of kickout strategy.

Club performance is one thing, big step up obviously to county level. I think the move to Crokes has done him good and he has been doing well, but I am yet to be fully convinced he would be an improvement on what we have.
    This is based on having seen him play at county u21 and Sigerson level in recent years, when I wouldn't have been overly impressed. Compare that to Kelly for example, who was brilliant in the Sigerson 3 years ago and conceded only 1 goal in the whole competition I think. The unfortunate thing being, apart from 2014 he hasn't fully replicated that form at Senior level.
    I thought Shane Ryan would have been almost ready to step up by 2017, but apparently he doesn't want to play in goals, which seems stupid to me.
    If Shane Murphy performs well in the rest of the club championship, then he may get a run and if he proves me wrong then fair enough. We definitely need to work on whatever goalies are in there as they have cost us scores in every major game in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Of course, but what I meant was that the U21s will not feature much during the League. I think Fitz tried a strategy of bringing a few of them in the odd time and it had mixed results, but Begley certainly will be around the Senior panel again, maybe more. Up to April though, the u21 championship should be a priority for those players though.
    The last 8 years in a row we have been out of the u21 in March or early April and to have not won a Munster title since 2008 is ridiculous.

The u21 hurling is run more or less concurrently throughout the summer and that helps very much I'd imagine with a squad like that Clare one or Waterford last year. Im the Football, you are dealing with the Sigerson cup being held at the end of February which doesn't help preparation for one thing. There have been a lot of players involved with club teams up to February/March in recent years also. Doesn't make things easy at times,

Yeah I didn't think of the timing difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

You had a situation up here the other year where key Donegal U-21 players played a full senior league game, when we were already safe, a few days before a vital u-21 championship.

I thought that was disgusting myself and the county board or someone should have stepped in to stop it happening.

My own view is that U-21 championship > league. By quite a way.

Yeah I didn't think of the timing difference.

It's ok, I don't expect much from Naries generally. :pac:

• Advertisement

I see Rathmore have brought a motion forward for the County Board AGM

Rathmore proposing that scoring difference should replace playoffs to decide promotion and relegation issues.

Would be great if this is passed,be no play off games been played in the middle of winter or a week before the new season starts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement