Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

I see Rathmore have brought a motion forward for the County Board AGM

Rathmore proposing that scoring difference should replace playoffs to decide promotion and relegation issues.

Would be great if this is passed,be no play off games been played in the middle of winter or a week before the new season starts

No wouldn't agree with that,Think head to head if two teams finish level or a playoff if its 3 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Maybe 3 points for a win would help matters as well

Well the idea is to keep the divisions as competitive as possibly for as long as possible,3 up & down has been successful..3 points for a win i think would counter that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

it should be head to head to be honest, scoring difference is a complete lottery and things like weather, holidays etc can play a part in how certain games end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

The only problem with scoring difference is what do you do when teams cant field and have to concede the points? I know Valentia had to concede some 3 or 4 games this year. Also you still have the occasional dodgy match so I cant see that rule ever passing. Head to head would make far more sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Also in the lower divisions where Walkovers become more common, it'll play wreck!

EDIT: Seconds behind you Wonga! Great minds and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The 'occasional dodgy match' is a lovely idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I see Rathmore have brought a motion forward for the County Board AGM

Rathmore proposing that scoring difference should replace playoffs to decide promotion and relegation issues.

Would be great if this is passed,be no play off games been played in the middle of winter or a week before the new season starts

This was voted on and defeated on Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Major setback for the hurlers, as Ciarán Carey steps down due to work commitments:

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/10015564/Ciaran_Carey_has_stepped_down_as_Kerry_Senior_Hurling_Manager

Major setback for the hurlers, as Ciarán Carey steps down due to work commitments:

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/10015564/Ciaran_Carey_has_stepped_down_as_Kerry_Senior_Hurling_Manager

Thats a right kick in the nads

Be interesting to see who they get to take over now

They started pre season training a few weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I suppose Maurice Leahy will be called upon again.

Get Liam Dunne or Frankie Flannery to take over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

What are the odds of this ending up with Kelly with Offaly? Steps down and a few weeks later he's the Laois manager. Cant see what jobs are arpund for him to take at the moment. Only a few weeks ago he was all about how committed he was for next season.

I hope the CB got for someone in Kerry, instead of another ''big name'' mercenary. Thats what these fellas are at the end of the day. Just looking to get their own profile up. Since 2000 Kerry must have close to 15 different managers, with many of them leaving after only one season.

Have any of these managers ever really done anything fo the counties they've been with? The likes of Kerry, Carlow, Westmeath etc always seem to attract the recently retired or big name players in their day.

Also should these managers be held more accountable? The likes of Kelly for example signs up for 2 years with Offaly yet after a season he's off to Laois. Should the Offaly CB be compensated?

Our hurling writer, Mike O’Halloran, on the departure of Ciaran Carey from the Kerry manager role and what can be done to keep stability in Kerry hurling…

YET another Kerry Hurling manager “bites the dust”, or is it “rides off into the sunset”, perhaps a bit of both. I write this piece with a mixture of sadness and annoyance.

It is sad that a panel of players who, by all accounts, were ready to go the extra mile to get Kerry hurling to the next level, are again abandoned by their leader on the eve of battle.

Abandoned might be a little harsh as rumours abound that there is another side to the story, suggesting that some players may have been lukewarm in their commitment to the cause and this may have been a factor in the decision of the manager to resign. There is talk of high profile players due to emigrate etc.

In the old days, a general led his soldiers into battle on his charge and did not leave the battle field until the last man had left the fray. Perhaps this general was not convinced by the battle belly of a small minority of the soldiers.

The latest ex Kerry hurling manager was certainly a brave soldier on the battle fields of Thurles, Croke Park and the Gaelic Grounds and I had high hopes that he might have been exactly the type of general needed to lead the young Kerry recruits into the fray and in fairness Kerry lost no ground last season. Last year was a bedding-in year and this coming season was the season to go over the top and attack the big guns of hurling.

It is annoying that this group of players will have to get used to another voice in the dressing room, another system of playing, another way maintaining discipline, another plan to keep young hurlers interested in making the lifestyle changes to become a hurler at the top level.

For progression, forward planning and consistency, most organisations need a plan and a clear vision delivered by a strong general.

While all the attention will be on the fact that a manager has left, not withstanding the statement regarding work commitments etc, the question has to be asked, why can’t Kerry hurling keep a manager? Is there something else going on that scares managers away.

I have heard rumbling over the past few weeks, but then again there are always rumblings in the Kerry hurling scene no matter who the manager is. I’m sure the next Kerry hurling manager will not be to everybody’s taste, but that’s life.

I’ve received text messages suggesting names of who should be the next manager, all worthy gentlemen I’m sure. If a new manager comes in at this late stage I’m sure he will wish to change the present backroom team adding to the bedding in time.

Why not continue with the people in charge at present? Mark Foley is well respected as a coach, Damian Ryall has been working with the panel for years and must be considered for promotion.

James McCarthy and Mike Conway should not be lost to the Kerry county senior hurling team set-up.

For the future, a longterm plan needs to be put in place for Kerry hurling team to progress and that plan should be for a minimum of five years and ideally ten. That plan should be overseen by a Director of Hurling-type individual who has a strong management background with specific training in strategic planning and project completion.

On the other hand, perhaps this is an opportunity for the panel to take charge of the situation and work even harder for the future of Kerry hurling and perhaps call out those who are not giving the commitment needed to get Kerry hurling to progress to the next level.

But every group needs a leader. While there are plenty of leaders within the group, I suggest a leader needs to be apart from the group.

We have to wish Ciaran all the best and thank him for his work with the team and hope that the panel is not too distracted by the change of management and knuckle down for the season ahead. I’m sure they will.

http://traleetoday.ie/mike-ohalloran-cant-kerry-hurling-keep-manager/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Is it time for Kerry to go back into Munster?

arctictree wrote: »
    Is it time for Kerry to go back into Munster?

Still away too soon for us to be put back into Munster,we have only had one season in Division 1B and in the round robin

If we can maintain our Division 1 status and stay in the Round Robin group for the next 3 years then we should go back into Munster

New manager for the Kerry Ladies

STEPHEN Wallace is set to return to inter-county management tonight.

The Ardfert man is set to be named the new Kerry Senior Ladies football manager tonight at their annual convention.

He has enjoyed great success with the Kerry juniors winning back to back All Ireland Junior Football titles, before vacating the role to take over as IT Tralee senior team manager in September.

It’s expected Wallace, who takes over from Alan O’Neill, will take the ladies team job for at least a two year period.

http://traleetoday.ie/stephen-wallace-set-manage-another-kerry-team/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

New manager for the Kerry Ladies

STEPHEN Wallace is set to return to inter-county management tonight.

The Ardfert man is set to be named the new Kerry Senior Ladies football manager tonight at their annual convention.

He has enjoyed great success with the Kerry juniors winning back to back All Ireland Junior Football titles, before vacating the role to take over as IT Tralee senior team manager in September.

It’s expected Wallace, who takes over from Alan O’Neill, will take the ladies team job for at least a two year period.

http://traleetoday.ie/stephen-wallace-set-manage-another-kerry-team/

Serious statement of intent there and no offence to some of the previous managers but a big step-up in terms in pedigree.

I have heard IT Tralee were having a very positive season so far, so he seems to be doing a decent job there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Fintan O'Connor has been named as the new hurling manager, apparently he's from Tipp, and was one of Derek McGrath's Waterford selectors.

• Advertisement

Fintan O'Connor has been named as the new hurling manager, apparently he's from Tipp, and was one of Derek McGrath's Waterford selectors.

Bit about him here and his background

http://www.the42.ie/waterford-fintan-oconnor-2257145-Aug2015/

Thought it would be Frankie Flannery that would get the nod with his history with coaching in Kerry and knowing the lads on the panel

Manager in place now so best of luck to Fintan O Connor and the team for 2017

Ballydonoghue are the North Kerry Champions for 2016 beating St Senans,

Ballydonghue 5-9 St Senans 0-8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Lads i hear the trip to NY has got very interesting for a few lads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Ballydonoghue are the North Kerry Champions for 2016 beating St Senans,

Ballydonghue 5-9 St Senans 0-8

Jesus, that was quite the hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

liam7831 wrote: »
    Lads i hear the trip to NY has got very interesting for a few lads.....

Do tell us more...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,462 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Do tell us more...

Plenty of rumours flying about but probably not the best idea to air them on a public forum.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Plenty of rumours flying about but probably not the best idea to air them on a public forum.

Ahh now lads a snakey hint be no harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Ahh now lads a snakey hint be no harm?

Don't think that's a good idea, if ur from Kerry u should hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

liam7831 wrote: »
    Don't think that's a good idea, if ur from Kerry u should hear it

Yep. Few Facebook pages have made interesting reading too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I've heard nothing..Maybe just throw in an alleged and don't mention names

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement