Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

In other Kerry football news, there seems to be a pretty good chance that the Hogan Cup final will be on in Croker the Sunday after Easter Sunday.

Don't think it's 100% guaranteed yet but would be pretty sweet to have it there as opposed to say Portlaoise or Limerick.

Given there are eleven of the Sem team involved with the expanded minors squad, no harm to have them getting used to playing in Croker for later on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

For me his lack of mobility on a big pitch is just a killer factor. If one of your midfielder is largely restricted to the limited patch of the centre of the field, you are handing the opposition a big advantage. In years gone by his lack of mobility wouldn't be as much of an issue but the way the game is played mobility is just a massive factor and there is just no getting away from this.

I think this is continually overstated tbh.

I can't think of too many times I've seen his supposed lack of mobility cause problems for club or county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

What has happened to Daniel Bohane and Aidan O'Shea.

I won't mind having Killian Young center back but IF Corridan keeps playing well he could be corner back with may Marc playing at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

slingerz wrote: »
    Declan o Sullivan is probably the best centre forward in the country and thats coming from a cork man

Figures you're from Cork alright!! I'd say definately :D

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think this is continually overstated tbh.

I can't think of too many times I've seen his supposed lack of mobility cause problems for club or county.

It's less likely to cause problems at club level given the level of opposition he's facing - there's also the fact that the team will have evolved to cope with this lack of mobility.

The thing is that that his lack of mobility isnt one of those things that are going to be blatantly obvious all of the time. However it definately is there and is definately a weakness. I don't want to get into naming occasions when he has been beaten for lack of pace but it has happened a number of times already in the league (and this is on supposed softer slower ground).

The lack of mobility means that he won't be able to offer the same level of protection to the half-back line if the opposition run at them, without comprimising his other duties. How often is he going to be involved in moves which are built from the back which involve bursting at pace. There are other considerations in terms of what happens if the opposition play two mobile midfielders. How is he going to effectively defend his man in a situation like this? The fact is that he's simply not going to cover the same level of ground as some of the other candidates.

It sounds like I have a vendetta against him but I don't. I think he's a very fine player and he's been a stalwart for Kerry but at the very highest levels I think there are better options in terms of Kerry's midfield.

• Advertisement

For me his lack of mobility on a big pitch is just a killer factor. If one of your midfielder is largely restricted to the limited patch of the centre of the field, you are handing the opposition a big advantage. In years gone by his lack of mobility wouldn't be as much of an issue but the way the game is played mobility is just a massive factor and there is just no getting away from this.

I think his mobility has been understated alot tbh - people seem to assume that, because he's a big lad he's not mobile - its not like he's just lumbering around the park, more to the contrary he gets back alot and helps out in defence.

I think where he's most lacking is adventure going forward and ability to link up with the attack. David Moran and Maher have demonstrated their ability to kick points and get forward in the league, I think Moran is close on just as good a fielder as Quirke, Maher, not so much.

I know I'm harping on about Moran, but I'm desperate to see him given a chance in the middle of the park because I think he could provide the type of Dynamism there that Sean Cavanagh showed as a young fella - mobile, good distribution, attack minded and a very good athlete - although, that said, I don't think there's another footballer in Ireland as athletic as Cavanagh tbh.

thesultan wrote: »

Injured - Bohane's back again and O'shea was injured and then got injured pretty much straight after coming back (can't remember the details)

thesultan wrote: »

I won't mind having Killian Young center back but IF Corridan keeps playing well he could be corner back with may Marc playing at 6

Not sure what the story is with O'Shea but Bohane is quite literally made of glass which is disappointing because he's a very good player and versatile to boot, - can play midfield, wing back and performed brilliantly against galway curbing Joe Bergin a few years ago iirc - very good squad player to have imo

PaulieC wrote: »
    I think his mobility has been understated alot tbh - people seem to assume that, because he's a big lad he's not mobile - its not like he's just lumbering around the park, more to the contrary he gets back alot and helps out in defence.

I think where he's most lacking is adventure going forward and ability to link up with the attack. David Moran and Maher have demonstrated their ability to kick points and get forward in the league, I think Moran is close on just as good a fielder as Quirke, Maher, not so much.

I know I'm harping on about Moran, but I'm desperate to see him given a chance in the middle of the park because I think he could provide the type of Dynamism there that Sean Cavanagh showed as a young fella - mobile, good distribution, attack minded and a very good athlete - although, that said, I don't think there's another footballer in Ireland as athletic as Cavanagh tbh.

I think it's because of his lack of mobility that he doesn't venture forward and sits deeper. If he was to venture forward he would be exposed a lot more.
    A midfielder needs to be able to attack and defend, not just do one of them.
    That's why mobility is so critically important to the midfield position. Maybe it's a bug bear with me (even felt on occasions that Dara could have been more mobile)

Even still he is not all that effective as a defender apart from the advantage his size offers and he does tend to give away a number of frees.
    In the league so far I can remember opposition players simply running away from him in a couple of games - Mayo game and Dublin game (I think)

Anyway I'm not Jack so I doubt it will matter all that much in the long-run.

On Maher v Moran, I'm not sure how to explain it but I think Maher is a better bet at the moment alongside Scanlon even though Moran is probably more talented. I think Moran is a bit erratic still in that he can look like a world-beater one day and then can have games where he is largely anonymous. Maher probably isn't capable of hitting the same heights but offers more consistency.

Not sure what the story is with O'Shea but Bohane is quite literally made of glass which is disappointing because he's a very good player and versatile to boot, - can play midfield, wing back and performed brilliantly against galway curbing Joe Bergin a few years ago iirc - very good squad player to have imo

Pretty sure the root of all Bohane's injuries is that his back is fecked up.

Shame really because as you say his versatility in a squad combined with his ability would be great.

Still youngish enough but back injuries can be a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

I don't think he has featured at all since galway . Griffin and O'Sullivan only have a few years left so Kerry need to find a full back

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

so, we had a pretty competitive game in omagh.
    fast, physical.
    we ran out of steam towards the end, lost our shape & discipline and it cost us... i thought we should have been out of sight with 10 mins to go, given all the possession and opportunities we had.

however, i think we're a bit behind most teams at the moment fitness-wise.
    there were some positives in the game.

this all brings it nicely to the last round on april 11th in killarney.
    given 2 assumptions:
    1. tyrone will beat dublin in omagh
    2. derry are pretty much gone

this means, the loser of kerry-monaghan wil be relegated...
    so a crunch game for jack & co...

even felt on occasions that Dara could have been more mobile

Thinking the best midfielder of the last thirty years wasn't mobile enough pretty much proves you're either a bad judge of players' mobility or just a bad judge of midfielders tbh.

don't forget....
    tomorrow night (wed), austin stack park, tralee @ 7:30 pm, kerry play tipp in the munster u-21 football final.

fresca wrote: »
    don't forget....
    tomorrow night (wed), austin stack park, tralee @ 7:30 pm, kerry play tipp in the munster u-21 football final.

Don't suppose it's televised?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Don't suppose it's televised?

checked with tg4 - nope.
    it might be on the radio with weeshie though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Shameless plug here guys. I'm presenting a sports chat show this afternoon on DCUfm at 4.45 today, where I'll be joined by none other than your very own Kerry legend Pat Spillane :)

You can listen to the interview online at www.dcufm.com, and if you guys have any questions for the man himself you can txt us in the studio (all the infos on the website) and I'll try get through as many as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Daysha wrote: »
    Shameless plug here guys. I'm presenting a sports chat show this afternoon on DCUfm at 4.45 today, where I'll be joined by none other than your very own Kerry legend Pat Spillane :)

You can listen to the interview online at www.dcufm.com, and if you guys have any questions for the man himself you can txt us in the studio (all the infos on the website) and I'll try get through as many as I can.

Reported for spam.

I expect you to ban yourself with immediate effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Orizio wrote: »
    Reported for spam.

I expect you to ban yourself with immediate effect.

:p

it might be on the radio with weeshie though...

I'd rather eat my own scrotum than listen to that goon of a man spout on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I'd rather eat my own scrotum than listen to that goon of a man spout on

What?
    Very Harsh imo

Weeshie is a legend of a commentator who has won a couple of McNamee awards for his insightful and entertaining sporting reports.

yayamark wrote: »
    What?
    Very Harsh imo

Weeshie is a legend of a commentator who has won a couple of McNamee awards for his insightful and entertaining sporting reports.

I'm with Paul tbh.

yayamark wrote: »
    What?
    Very Harsh imo

Insightful? - if you're referring to his constant harping on about 'his own club the Killarney Legion' then fair enough - I think he's rubbish tbh and I live down the road from the man. Fair enough he's dedicated to Kerry football but imo, he's a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Insightful? - if you're referring to his constant harping on about 'his own club the Killarney Legion' then fair enough - I think he's rubbish tbh and I live down the road from the man. Fair enough he's dedicated to Kerry football but imo, he's a clown.

As much as I despise the kerry biased mafia sorry media and the never ending focus Kerry football gets from the likes of Tony leen Dara o cinneide fitzmaurice etc in the Kerry examiner and uncle paidi and billy keane etc in the independent I would make an exception for spillane and weeshie.

Who else apart from weeshie could sell a game like Waterville and glenflesk in division 3 of the league to the public.he's one of the best in the business in fairness.the Jeff stelling of gaa.he overdoes the Kerry loyalty but he works for radio Kerry so at least he has an excuse not like those other goons we have on national tv.it's only when he retires that you'll realize how good he was.hats off weeshie.

Not exactly won over by Spillane and his constant team of the decade nonsense but 8 all irelands (a lot if them won through the pain barrier).as far as I'm concerned he's entitled to his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

For all ye Weeshie fans

shockframe wrote: »
    As much as I despise the kerry biased mafia sorry media and the never ending focus Kerry football gets from the likes of Tony leen Dara o cinneide fitzmaurice etc in the Kerry examiner and uncle paidi and billy keane etc in the independent I would make an exception for spillane and weeshie.

Whatever about the rest of them - O' Cinnéide is the best in the business imo. I've no problem with Spillane - argues his points well and he's a nice fella.
    Who else apart from weeshie could sell a game like Waterville and glenflesk in division 3 of the league to the public.he's one of the best in the business in fairness.the Jeff stelling of gaa.

You must be easily sold man is all I can say to that :pac: And Mícheal is the Stelling of the GAA imo - a man who speaks with passion and an elequonce that draws you to the game.
    it's only when he retires that you'll realize how good he was.hats off weeshie.

Fair enough he's contributed alot to radio Kerry over the years and I can appreciate that but you make it sound like people are going to go erecting statues in his memory once he finishes up. I appreciate the effort he puts into his job and his passion but I'm simply saying I don't like listening to him harp on, his voice wrecks my head.

don't forget....

Disappointing result and a disappointing game.
    Congrats to tipp on their first u-21 munster crown - they were marginally the better team.
    Kerry will feel they left this one behind them ... particularly with the number of relatively easy wides kicked.

One important lesson though ... beware May 16th in Thurles (opening round of MSFC)... this will probably not be as easy as expected...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 quinniesfingers

Be interesting 2c if Ciarrai have anything in the tank this year

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

To be pedantic "literally made of glass" means that he literally is made of glass! O'Shea is injured as well, so both are long-term absentees.

• Advertisement

Agus wrote: »
    To be pedantic "literally made of glass" means that he literally is made of glass! O'Shea is injured as well, so both are long-term absentees.

I know....he is :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement