Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Extra time.

Disasterous last 20 minutes.

Enright at fault for 1-2. Limerick deserved to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

finished 3-13 to 2-12 to kerry

game was live on the kerry gaa facebook page , a really good idea especially for people that couldnt make it or abroad

just caught bits and pieces of the game it seemed a fairly good work out ahead of the league i imagine , scrappy yes but had a descent tempo to the game

Just back to Dublin. Blessed to have won that to be honest.

We made a trio of substitutions early in the 2nd half and we took a nosedive.

Jack Barry, Jack Savage and Mikey Geaney were withdrawn for Brian O'Seannachain, Barry O'Sullivan and Brendan O'Sullivan and suddenly we lost all pace in the half forwards and midfield and Limerick walked through us and decimated a 6 point lead.

Now neither of the trio had played stunningly well, and you couldn't argue with them being taken off, but they were defending really well, and getting in good positions. With them withdrawn, Limerick had more space for the short kickouts, and waltzed through us for the rest of the half.

Paul Geaney was off his game up front and BJK and James looked dangerous on the ball without threatening the scoreboard.

I mentioned it at Full Time, but Shane Enright was a disaster. He was winning his one on one battle fairly comfortably, but then made some wild errors - for the first goal he charged out at the ball and swung an arm at it and the ball just spun off it into the path of the Limerick forward, who held off Jason Foley to finish. Then with Kerry a point up with 40 seconds to go, Foley dispossessed the Limerick attacker and played the ball to Enright. He fell and passed behind two Kerry players to a Limerick man who put the ball over the bar. Very unlike Shane, who is normally so solid.

The Limerick penalty was up the other side of the field to me, but to me it seemed like a ridiculous call. Kerry had just got a goal to lead, and Limerick kicked a high ball in and Enright (I think) went up for the ball. The referee seemed only too delighted to give Limerick a penalty to equalize.

I though David Moran had a poor first half but bar one massive brain fart (a stupid outside of the boot free kick with 4 minutes remaining, straight to a Limerick player), was brilliant after, especially when we needed leadership in Extra Time. He fielded some great balls and ran at the heart of the Limerick defence.

Jason Foley is the real deal and Tadhg Morley should be our starting CHB for championship. Foley read everything all day and hammered into tackles intelligently tackling the ball. He has serious pace and with a little bit more bulk will be ready to start for Kerry. Morley made countless interceptions and tracked his man really well when needed, but also held the middle really well.

A long way to go to the business end of the championship, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few young lads from today feature heavily in our championship run.

EDIT: Having watched the footage on the Kerry Gaa facebook page, I can confirm that it was the softest penalty i've seen since Aidan O'Shea's dive against Fermanagh. A pure joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm pretty sure that ball David kicked straight to the Limerick player is the reason they changed jerseys at half time.

It was ridiculous that they didn't wear the blue in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The hard-on for Mikey Geaney persists, as does my belief that he isn't good enough.

it really is bizzare. he wouldnt make a good senior club side in alot of counties. the man is stealing an intercountry career, should be nowhere the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Any idea what James O' Donoghue's injury was?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

toodleytoo wrote: »
    Any idea what James O' Donoghue's injury was?

Looked like he twisted his ankle.

I thought Michael Geaney had a good game today.

keane2097 wrote:
    Looked like he twisted his ankle.

That or his man stood on him accidentally.

A lot of hate for Mikey Geaney, but he was easily our most impressive half forward. Jonathan Lyne was pushed around a good bit, and Jack Savage put in a great shift defensively but couldn't get in the game up front. Geaney kicked one of Kerry's best scores as well in the first half. He has pace, is physical and a good passer. Geaney injury free will be in the mix come championship time IMO.

it really is bizzare. he wouldnt make a good senior club side in alot of counties. the man is stealing an intercountry career, should be nowhere the panel.

Agree . Wether he would make an impact with a division 2 or 3 team inter county maybe . But not kerry he shouldn't be in the team . One of these players you don't know if his last ball played up the field was a shot on goal or a pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Bonkers views on M.Geaney !!

He would without a shadow be on my Kerry panel every day of the week,He has a uniqueness that no one else on the squad has.

He brings a level of aggression that no-one else can bring.
    He is in the top 3/4 in the group for breaking balls
    Geaney brings hard running and a massive work rate that is only surpassed by Donnacha & Paul Murphy IMO.

When we go to battle Geaney will be a valuable solider in our ranks

• Advertisement

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Bonkers views on M.Geaney !!

He would without a shadow be on my Kerry panel every day of the week,He has a uniqueness that no one else on the squad has.

He brings a level of aggression that no-one else can bring.
    He is in the top 3/4 in the group for breaking balls
    Geaney brings hard running and a massive work rate that is only surpassed by Donnacha & Paul Murphy IMO.

When we go to battle Geaney will be a valuable solider in our ranks

uniqueness in the sense, that nobody wastes as much ball as him. the fact that in 2014, Mayo left him on his own on the pitch and didnt bother marking him, says enough. its why them going down to 14 men made no difference and they actually got on top then.

uniqueness in the sense, that nobody wastes as much ball as him. the fact that in 2014, Mayo left him on his own on the pitch and didnt bother marking him, says enough. its why them going down to 14 men made no difference and they actually got on top then.

I remember that game and it was a very unusual tactic by Mayo which ultimately backfired.Mayo had Keegan sent off about a minute before H/T and were trailing by 4..Geaney was subbed after 7/8 mins of the second half so i think he was scapegoated a little bit that day.

I accept that he is not the best kicker or scorer or fielder but he can't be matched in the departments i mentioned earlier.

For me he stays in the panel until someone else can offer something similar.

I think there is easily 6/7 guys that are in far more danger than him of being dropped from the panel

He can brake a tackle but his ball distribution is poor . He kicks a lot of aimless ball hoping to find a man rather then pick a pass

It's something club players do to get themselves out of trouble

I regard Paul as top class in almost every department as a forward . And the way Connor took his goal today he looks like a good prospect

I keep thinking back to Clare v Kerry on 2014 in cusack park where a very young Jamie Malone gave him the run around i didnt expect to see Michael still in team 3 year's later

He can brake a tackle but his ball distribution is poor . He kicks a lot of aimless ball hoping to find a man rather then pick a pass

It's something club players do to get themselves out of trouble

I regard Paul as top class in almost every department as a forward . And the way Connor took his goal today he looks like a good prospect

I keep thinking back to Clare v Kerry on 2014 in cusack park where a very young Jamie Malone gave him the run around i didnt expect to see Michael still in team 3 year's later

I'm sure we can go back to alot of Kerry players championship debuts and say the same but he might prosper yet,Some guys are slow burners Darran O Sullivan was on the panel 4 years before he started a championship game,But i agree with you he must improve his decision making to make himself indispensable to this Kerry team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Prop Joe wrote: »
    I'm sure we can go back to alot of Kerry players championship debuts and say the same but he might prosper yet,Some guys are slow burners Darran O Sullivan was on the panel 4 years before he started a championship game,But i agree with you he must improve his decision making to make himself indispensable to this Kerry team

Listen, Mikey Geaney is 28 this year..Darran (to use your own example) came off the bench in the 2005 final when he was 18. Over the next few years (in one of the best teams of that or any other era) he established himself to the point where he became a winning captain at the age of 23 and an Allstar and POTY nominee at 25. He’s been inconsistent for several reasons, injuries mainly but still..no comparison there.
    As to some of the other stuff you’ve posted on this page alone regarding him, all I can say is we must be watching different games. He brings nothing to any high-quality game in my view. His kicking and passing aren’t good enough and as someone mentioned, the likes of Mayo paid the “compliment” of not bothering to mark him in the 2014 semi final! You seem to think this backfired..but in actual fact, Mayo took a firm grip on that game despite being a man down (a half back no less!) and Geaney was taken off after 42 minutes.
    I have no ill will towards the fella on a personal level, not from a rival club or anything like that. Just calling it as I see it. He’s had multiple chances over 4/5 seasons and I’ve never seen him show anything remotely near the quality needed. You (and Fitzmaurice unfortunately) clearly have some sort of bias towards him for whatever reason. As I’ve stated multiple times, it’s baffling and one of a few strange calls there have been over recent seasons.

Aidan O Mahoney has retired :(

one of my favourites players of the last 20 years, he has had an incredible career.

Listen, Mikey Geaney is 28 this year..Darran (to use your own example) came off the bench in the 2005 final when he was 18. Over the next few years (in one of the best teams of that or any other era) he established himself to the point where he became a winning captain at the age of 23 and an Allstar and POTY nominee at 25. He’s been inconsistent for several reasons, injuries mainly but still..no comparison there.
    As to some of the other stuff you’ve posted on this page alone regarding him, all I can say is we must be watching different games. He brings nothing to any high-quality game in my view. His kicking and passing aren’t good enough and as someone mentioned, the likes of Mayo paid the “compliment” of not bothering to mark him in the 2014 semi final! You seem to think this backfired..but in actual fact, Mayo took a firm grip on that game despite being a man down (a half back no less!) and Geaney was taken off after 42 minutes.
    I have no ill will towards the fella on a personal level, not from a rival club or anything like that. Just calling it as I see it. He’s had multiple chances over 4/5 seasons and I’ve never seen him show anything remotely near the quality needed. You (and Fitzmaurice unfortunately) clearly have some sort of bias towards him for whatever reason. As I’ve stated multiple times, it’s baffling and one of a few strange calls there have been over recent seasons.

Manners young man!! I have no affiliation to Mike Geaney but i am realistic to know we need players with different qualities,Shane Enright won an all star but id say he is the weakest kicker on the Kerry panel but by god he can man mark.

Each player brings different qualities and that's why i'd stick with Mikey,Just my opinion not fact.The only players i can see taking over from him are Míchael Burns or Brandon Barrett and they are a year or two away yet.

The likes of Barry John,Bryan Sheehan,Fionn,Lyne even Stephen O Brien will all be looking over their shoulders this year as the U21's progress.

A Happy retirement to Aidan O Mahoney gave a great service to Kerry,He totally blotted out the best forward in the country in the 2014 final at 34 years of age,In his prime was a seriously talented no.6,I believe he has undertook some S&C courses over the past few years so maybe he will be involved with Kerry again in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Another Kerry great retired,he always comes across as a fella that gives 100% to anything he does and thats what he did with Kerry,gave it everything and you cant really ask for more then that

Time to pass on the jersey to the next batch,

Kerry defender Aidan O’Mahony has called time on his intercounty career.

The Rathmore clubman made his championship debut in the green and gold in 2004 against Clare and went on to play 70 championship games for his county in a career spanning fourteen years.

In addition to his five All-Ireland senior titles, O’Mahony won three Allianz League titles and was named an All Star in 2006 and 2007.

Statement by Aidan O’Mahony said: “I feel the time is now appropriate for me to step away from the Kerry team.

“It’s been an absolute honour for me to wear the green and gold jersey for Kerry for the past 14 years at senior level and I leave having great respect for all the talented players I have shared my footballing career with. I am extremely grateful for all the support my teammates gave me down through the years and I have made friendships for life.

“I have been incredibly fortunate to represent my Club (Rathmore), County, Province and Country over the years. It was an honour to share the dressing room with such brilliant players throughout the last 14 years with Kerry. I have utmost respect for every player whom I have played against as we all put on our county colours with a common goal in mind.”

In addition to his fellow players O’Mahony also paid tribute to his coaches, colleagues, supporters and family for their unstinting support.

“I would like to thank the managers whom I have trained under with Kerry from Minor and Under 21 to Senior level. I will be forever appreciative for the belief you have all shown in me.

“Thanks to the Kerry supporters who travel far and wide every year for both League and Championship.

“I would like to thank An Garda Sióchana for their consistent support in facilitating my involvement with the Kerry team.

“Finally, I would like to thank my family for their encouragement and ongoing support over the years.”

“Aidan was an incredible servant to Kerry and gave everything he had to the cause over a career that stretches back to the 2003 season when he was first brought into the squad by Paidí (Ó Sé),” Kerry manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice said.

“Aidan was a warrior for Kerry right up until the last minute of his last game for Kerry last August.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/kerry-stalwart-aidan-omahony-retires-from-intercounty-football-773651.html

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/823483201511366656

New faces click for Kerry in McGrath Cup final

Kerry 3-13 Limerick 2-12 (AET): That Kerry’s new faces guided them through their first proper examination of the season should, perhaps, be read as a sign of what is to come.

With Éamonn Fitzmaurice having made five changes to the side which comfortably overcame Cork last weekend, there wasn’t a single player on yesterday’s starting team north of 30. The U21 pair of Jason Foley and Tom O’Sullivan were retained in defence and the age profile of the team had been considerably lowered by the time referee Alan Kissane brought the second period of extra-time to a halt, with 2014 minor Barry O’Sullivan and 2015 minor pair Conor Geaney and Briain Ó Seanacháin sprung from the bench.

It was Barry O’Sullivan and Geaney who made the most telling contributions in front of 2,010 spectators, both players raising a green flag during extra-time. The latter was a second-half replacement for the injured James O’Donoghue – Fitzmaurice assured us afterwards that the foot injury sustained by the 2014 footballer of the year wasn’t serious – and was immediately called upon to stand over a 68th-minute free with the sides deadlocked at 1-10 apiece.

Limerick, 1-6 to 0-4 in arrears at the break, had fallen six behind earlier in the half, but 1-3 without reply, which included Seamus O’Carroll’s well-taken 53rd-minute goal, had brought the home outfit back from the dead during a hugely entertaining second period.
    READ NEXT Peter Casey stars on debut as Limerick cut loose

O’Carroll kicked successive wides before Geaney held his nerve to sneak the visitors back in front two minutes from time and while David Ward subsequently swelled Limerick’s wide tally, extra-time was secured when Treaty corner-back Sean O’Dea split the posts three minutes into stoppages.

Barry O’Sullivan had the ball in the Limerick net just 20 seconds into the first period of extra-time after possession had squirmed away from Barry John Keane’s grasp. Limerick, mind, didn’t hang about in restoring parity; Iain Corbett dispatching a 72nd-minute penalty following Shane Enright’s foul on the lively Dany Neville.

Points from David Moran - the midfielder supplied the opening goal of the contest - and Geaney (free) sandwiched a Neville minor to leave the Kingdom 2-13 to 2-12 in front at the turnaround. This final period would produce just one more score; Geaney’s 89th-minute goal from a Conor Keane delivery. Limerick’s resistance was finally broken.

“It was a serious workout,” said Fitzmaurice of the county’s first McGrath Cup success since 2013.

“It was a great positive really that everyone got a run, which is good going forward. As you can see, we are still rusty and we still have plenty of work to be doing before the start of the national league.

“We played decent in the first half, but we allowed them back into it in the second-half. The positive is that on a day when we didn’t play particularly well, we still found a way to win it at the end.”

Limerick boss Billy Lee was aware of the implications of their performance, even if the result had gone against them.

“It raises the bar for us. The way the public will look at it is that we competed against Kerry and took them to extra-time so more will be expected of us. We’ve got to embrace that,” he said.

“We got 80 minutes against Kerry and we were competitive. One would hope that would improve us. But as I’ve just said to the boys, we have to keep our feet firmly on the ground. This performance doesn’t guarantee us any points in Division 4.”

Scorers for Kerry:

C Geaney (1-2, 0-2 frees); D Moran (1-1); J O’Donoghue (0-4, 0-3 frees); Barry O’Sullivan (1-0); BJ Keane (0-2 frees), J Lyne (0-2 each); M Geaney, P Murphy (0-1 each).

Scorers for Limerick:

I Corbett (1-2, 1-0 pen); S O’Carroll (1-1); D Neville (0-3); J Lee (0-2, 0-1 free); S O’Dea, D Treacy, S McSweeney (0-1 free), G Collins (0-1 each).

KERRY:

B Kealy; S Enright, J Foley, K Young; P Murphy, T Morley, T O’Sullivan; D Moran, J Barry; J Lyne, J Savage, M Geaney; BJ Keane, P Geaney, J O’Donoghue.

Subs:

G Crowley for Murphy (29 mins, inj); Brendan O’Sullivan for Savage (44); Barry O’Sullivan for J Barry (44); B Ó Seanacháin for M Geaney (44); D Daly for Crowley (59, inj); C Geaney for O’Donoghue (64, inj); C Keane for P Geaney (78); K McCarthy for BJ Keane (79); A Spillane for T O’Sullivan (82).

LIMERICK:

D O’Sullivan; D Daly, J McCarthy, S O’Dea; P White, I Corbett, P Hannon; D Treacy, B Fanning; P Nash, S O’Carroll, D Neville; S McSweeney, G Collins, B Donovan.

Subs:

J Lee for McSweeney (47); G Noonan for Nash (48); D Ward for Daly (50); C Fahy for Hannon (60); J Naughton for O’Carroll (68); J Bridgeman for White (70); C Sheehan for Collins (75); P Quinn for Fanning (81); K Ryan for Treacy (85).

Referee:

A Kissane (Waterford).

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/new-faces-click-for-kerry-in-mcgrath-cup-final-440356.html

Peter Casey stars on debut as Limerick cut loose

Munster Hurling League - Limerick 4-28 Kerry 0-16: Former underage star Peter Casey marked his Limerick senior debut with a fine display as the Shannonsiders spanked Kerry by 24 points at the Gaelic Grounds.

Limerick will have to wait on results this week before learning if they’ve made the final but following a 21-point defeat to Cork a week previously, it was an encouraging seven days for manager John Kiely and his players.

Limerick regrouped to beat Clare during the week before seeing off Kerry with plenty to spare.

Casey, an All-Ireland U21 medallist with Limerick in 2015, and a senior club winner with Na Piarsaigh, has been touted as a star of the future for some time.

And he showed real flashes of class as Limerick, who also handed senior debuts to Lorcan Lyons and goalkeeper David McCarthy, did pretty much as they pleased.

Kiely revealed: “It was great to see Peter Casey getting back into it again – he’s been off with a concussion for the last three weeks or a month.

“We had to give him time to get himself right and it was lovely for him to get a good run-out today. He needs all the game time he can get now.”

Barry Nash, All-Ireland U21 final man of the match in 2015, also shone with a 2-3 haul as Ronan Lynch came off the bench to score five of his points from frees.

Kerry were stunned when Limerick struck for three goals approaching half-time – Casey, Tom Morrissey and Nash raising green flags.

At the break, Limerick were 3-15 to 0-7 clear and while Kerry were better in the second half, Nash would add another goal to add gloss to the final scoreline.

A disappointing afternoon for Fintan O’Connor’s visitors ended with them reduced to 14 men, James O’Connor dismissed late on for a second bookable offence.

O’Connor said: “They came out in the second half and battled a bit harder – got a lot more tackles, hooks and blocks in, what we’re trying to base our whole effort around. Very disappointed with the result but happy with how they stuck at it.”

Scorers for Limerick:

P Casey (1-9, 6 frees); B Nash (2-3); T Morrissey (1-2); R Lynch (0-6, 5 frees); C Lynch (0-3); K O’Brien (0-2); S Cahill, J Ryan, G Mulcahy (0-1 each).

Scorers for Kerry:

S Nolan (0-6, 5 frees); D Collins (0-4); M Boyle (0-2); J Griffin, P Boyle, J Goulding (sl) & S Murphy (0-1 each).

LIMERICK:

B Hennessy; S Cahill, R McCarthy, R English; L Lyons, D Hannon, S Hickey; D O’Donovan, P Browne; K Hayes, T Morrissey, J Ryan; B Nash, C Lynch, P Casey.

Subs:

D Morrissey for R McCarthy (33), D McCarthy for Hennessy (h.t.), R Lynch for Ryan (h.t.), D Dempsey for Morrissey (54), K O’Brien for Nash (54), G Mulcahy for Hayes (blood, 62).

KERRY:

A McCabe; B Lyons, P Costello, S Weir; J Griffin, J Godley, J O’Connor; T O’Connor, T Casey; K Carmody, D Collins, M Boyle; J Goulding, P Boyle, S Nolan.

Subs:

S Nolan for Lyons (h.t.), P O’Connor for T O’Connor (h.t.), P Lucid for P Boyle (47), S Murphy for Griffin (50), J Brick for Nolan (61).

Referee:

J McCormack (Tipperary)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/peter-casey-stars-on-debut-as-limerick-cut-loose-440355.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

While it's not a shock it's still disappointing to see a player like him leave. It pains me to say as a Gneeveguilla man but he was my favourite player to watch, just an absolute horse that never gave up or knew when he was beaten. I deal with him regularly in work too and he's a nice guy to boot. Best of luck to him, owes absolutely nothing to Kerry so hopefully he enjoys the down time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Aidan O Mahoney has retired :(

one of my favourites players of the last 20 years, he has had an incredible career.
    Never the same player after the dive against Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dobman88 wrote: »
    just an absolute horse that never gave up or knew when he was beaten. .

He gave up sharpish when yer man O'Connor brushed his cheek. Maybe he just swooned from such a gentle caress :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

thesultan wrote: »
    Never the same player after the dive against Cork.

You must have missed the 2014 championship then, not to mention his club career over the past few years :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Heh, was wondering when the boyos would show their heads. Didn't take long. Jealousy is an awful thing.

Kerry have lost a great servant.

Will never forget probably his finest moment- running himself into the ground in the Gaelic Grounds in 2014, to the point where he had to be carried off with both legs cramped up.

Summed his whole career up. He gave everything for the cause- club and county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

A phenomenal club player it must be said, that day in Killarney he broke something in his leg and went in full forward instead and made wreck, think it was the senior club final maybe?
    I was playing against him in the county championship a few years back and he was charging out of defence like a f*cking train, I was prepping myself for a collision when a clubmate of mine got in the way and met O Mahony with a beautifully timed shoulder, poor fella went off with a broken collarbone a few moments later...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

O'Mahony would be very high up the list of players you wouldn't want to get a shoulder from.

Beast. Fabulous player, always enjoyed watching him- although not so much in the 2014 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Kerry have lost a great servant.

Will never forget probably his finest moment- running himself into the ground in the Gaelic Grounds in 2014, to the point where he had to be carried off with both legs cramped up.

Summed his whole career up. He gave everything for the cause- club and county.

Spot on DDC, him being carried off that day in the Gaelic grounds utterly spent will be a lasting memory. Such a warrior.

It's funny, was talking to a few people about him in last few days. He was unexceptional as a minor, didn't start on a fairly average team in 98. Made u21 team only in his last year, but by then was playing Sigerson with CIT and pushing on a bit.
    Worth remembering though that he was 24 before he made ANY appearance for Kerry, which when you look back on what he achieved afterwards, is fairly remarkable! It reminds me that 1)Jack O'Connor deserves massive credit for the revival from 2004 on and 2)Never write a guy off until he is given a chance to perform.

Anyway, it's over to the next generation now.

Word of Gooch and Donaghy continuing is no surprise but Donaghy especially won't be a guaranteed starter. They are huge influences on younger players though, so from that perspective alone it's good to have them around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Spot on DDC, him being carried off that day in the Gaelic grounds utterly spent will be a lasting memory. Such a warrior.

It's funny, was talking to a few people about him in last few days. He was unexceptional as a minor, didn't start on a fairly average team in 98. Made u21 team only in his last year, but by then was playing Sigerson with CIT and pushing on a bit.
    Worth remembering though that he was 24 before he made ANY appearance for Kerry, which when you look back on what he achieved afterwards, is fairly remarkable! It reminds me that 1)Jack O'Connor deserves massive credit for the revival from 2004 on and 2)Never write a guy off until he is given a chance to perform.

Anyway, it's over to the next generation now.

Word of Gooch and Donaghy continuing is no surprise but Donaghy especially won't be a guaranteed starter. They are huge influences on younger players though, so from that perspective alone it's good to have them around.

Gooch's footballing brain and status among the younger players is a huge boost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement