Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kerry starlet eager for Aussie Rules chance

While many in Kerry are decrying the so-called poaching of the county’s top GAA players by Aussie Rules clubs, teenage AFL hopeful Stefan Okunbor insists that even the slightest chance to reach his athletic optimum and play sport professionally is too much of a lure to turn his back on.

Na Gaeil’s Okunbor and his All-Ireland minor-winning Kerry team-mate David Shaw (Dr Crokes) are in Florida along with Galway’s Cillian McDaid, who played in the FBD League this year, and Evan Murphy to train with the AFL Academy squad.

Another team-mate of Okunbor and Shaw’s, Mark O’Connor has already committed to at least a two-year stint Down Under with Geelong, a development that has caused consternation in the Kingdom.

Okunbor has caught the eye with his power and intensity, and the relish with which he has taken to tackling in particular has been noteworthy.
    READ NEXT Cork make it four in a row to set up final re-match with Limerick

The 18-year-old from Tralee is enjoying his time in America and is excited by the opportunity of being a full-time sportsman.

“Everyone made me feel very welcome and they’re all great lads,” said Okunbor this week. “I felt pretty comfortable out there on the track with them, and just wanted to have a crack.

“Most of the Australian boys are only 17 and if they had told me they were 20 I’d have understood it. They’re huge; it’s crazy for them to be six foot tall and still growing at their age. I’m in college in Limerick and study engineering and I can’t see myself sitting at a desk the rest of my life. I want to reach my full potential and use my athleticism somewhere.

“The whole idea of a professional set-up: Get up, train, sleep and do it again every day, is something I’d love to do.”

Meanwhile, McDaid is delighted to get a second bite of the cherry, having been in Florida 12 months ago with Ray Connellan and Darragh Joyce, who were subsequently signed by St Kilda.

As well as participating in training, McDaid and the rest of the Irish contingent were interviewed by all 13 clubs.

“I really want to give it a go and have no regrets,” said McDaid. “Last year, talking to recruiters, I got a real idea about how hard they want people to work, so I tried to find that level in the past year.

“They seemed happy enough with how I was going last year but I was still doing school so that might have been a bit of a problem. I’ve strengthened up a little over the past year.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/kerry-starlet-eager-for-aussie-rules-chance-440885.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The thing in Florida is kinda the next stage in the process after the combine in Dublin. Pretty much all the Aussie lads taking part will be drafted/signed so I'd say the odds of the Irish lads who took part bring drafted is fairly high. 2 out of the 3 lads who were there last year ended up getting signed and the 3rd one was invited back again this year.

Eamonn Fitzmaurice has confirmed that Kieran Donaghy has rejoined the Kerry football panel, but is unlikely to feature much in the upcoming Allianz League.

The Kingdom, who won the McGrath Cup last Sunday, open their league campaign away to Donegal tomorrow week, but Donaghy's basketball commitments means he won't play in the early rounds.

“Kieran Donaghy will be back with us,” Fitzmaurice told the Irish Examiner at a media briefing last night.

“He is doing one session a week with us at the moment, but he will be playing basketball in the immediate future. He might play a bit of football towards the end of the league but that has been the plan all along. He will be playing little or no football."

The Kerry manager said Colm Cooper won't make a decision on his inter-county future until after Dr Crokes' All-Ireland club campaign.

“Colm is with the Crokes and will be until they are finished and he will make his decision then. Dr Crokes have yet to make a call on the captaincy; they will decide when their club campaign is over. Peter Crowley is our captain in the meantime. It makes no difference really because the lads are not going to be playing anyway. It’s a very important role for that particular individual but the captaincy is a ceremonial role anyway."

Fitzmaurice also revealed that James O'Donoghue and Paul Geaney will be fit for the start of the Allianz League after their recent injuries.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=265494

Live streaming of the Kenmare and Glenbeigh/Glencar matches tomorrow

https://twitter.com/GAADaily/status/825297140310212608

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Woeful first 10 minutes for Glenbeigh/Glencar. Were 0-7 to 0-0 down after 9 minutes.

Darren sparked them to life with a class individual score.

Glenbeigh took over from then on and put away two good goals, and lead 2-8 to 0-10 at half time.

• Advertisement

Class goal from Darren. Stereotypical slaloming run and neat finish.

3-10 to 0-11

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Darren after scoring a cracker. 3-10 to 0-11. 10 mins left.

Stream is very bad for me. Same for everyone?

Full time:

Glenbeigh-Glencar 4-14
    Louisburgh 0-13

Stephen O'Brien out injured before the Kenmare game.

Big blow which tips the scales in Westport's favour IMO.

Much tighter game in the Intermediate Semi.

4 points to 0 to Kenmare.

Westport tackling would be more commonly seen in Thomond than in Croker IMO.

Edit: Wesport playing much better stuff now with 3 young lads in the full forward line. They are causing Kenmare a lot of trouble. 4 points to 2 now, and 2 good goal chances for Westport.

• Advertisement

5 points to 4 to Kenmare at Half Time.

Lucky to lead.

****ty game in comparison to the spirit in which the Junior game was played. All that is wrong with modern football.

Sweepers, blankets, late hits, guys dragging off each other off the ball, some woeful kick passing and worse shooting.

The Junior Game was played in the same conditions but was everything that you would want in a football game.

Westport looked like a rugby team for the first 15 minutes, but look far stronger since tjey started attacking. Their corner forward is cleaning his man out but some terrible shooting from Westport is keeping Kenmare in the game.

Lee Keegan is quiet and Kevin Keane has his hands full with Sean O'Shea.

Referee gave a bizzare yellow card for a genuine mistimed tackle to the Kenmare midfielder while leaving 4 or 5 far worse tackles go, inclusing a very high shot on the Kenmare back coming out on the stroke of half time.

Just booked a Wesport player for barging! So strange.

Lee Keegan with a high tackle while on a yellow.

Totally accidental, and both men shake hands. Nice to see that sportsmanship in the heat of such a tense battle.

8 points to 6 to Kenmare.

Soft penalty to Westport.

All square with 3 minutes to go.

1-6 to 0-9

Edit: more scandelous refereeing there with Kenmare in posession.

Full time 1-6 to 0-9

Kenmare lead by 1 after 5 mins of Extra Time

Edit: All Square

Desperarely unlucky.

Kenmare fist it across the goal and it goes over the line before the Kenmare forward can touch it, so no goal.

Good call from the ref IMO.

Kenmare lead by 1 again at HT in ET.

Black Card for Kenmare's Shane Dalton for a shoulder. Where do these refs come from.

All square.

Kenmare lose by 2 in Extra time.

Can't even put into words how poor some of the refereeing was for both sides, but it cost Kenmare dearly especially with the penalty in normal time.

Also 3 minutes of additional time announced and only 2 played.

Westport will be very hard to beat. Tough side and with a bit more luck in front of goal they could have been out of sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Looking for some recommendations for grub and a place to watch the rugby in Tralee before the league game against Mayo... Thanks.

Kalyke wrote: »
    Looking for some recommendations for grub and a place to watch the rugby in Tralee before the league game against Mayo... Thanks.

The Mall Tavern in the middle of the town would probably be a good place to watch it,does grub as well

Draws for this years Club Football Championships

Senior Club Football Championship:

Rathmore V Kilcummin

Dr. Crokes V Austin Stacks

Killarney Legion V Dingle

Kerins O'Rahilly's V Kenmare

Intermediate Club Football Championship:

Glenflesk V Brosna

Spa V Castleisland Desmonds

Glenbeigh/Glencar V St Michael's Foilmore

An Ghaeltacht V Gneeveguilla

Waterville V Templenoe

Currow V St Mary's

Ardfert V John Mitche'ls

Milltown/Castlemaine V Laune Rangers

Junior Club Premier Football Championship:

Piarsaigh Na Dromada V Renard

Listowel Emmet's V Annascaul

Ballymacelligott V Fossa

Churchill V Ballydonoghue

St Senan's V Firies

Skellig Rangers V St Pat's Blennerville

Na Gaeil V Beaufort

Finuge V Keel

Junior Club Football Championship:

Preliminary Round

Kilgarvan V Ballylongford

Ballyduff V Knocknagoshel

Round 1 Draw

Tarbert V Moyvane

Duagh V The Winners of Kilgarvan V Ballylongford

Asdee V Listry

Cordal V Beale

Castlegregory V Scartaglin

Lispole V Cromane

Valentia V Tuosist

The winners of Ballyduff V Knocknagoshel VSneem/Derrynane

• Registered Users Posts: 17,014 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Stokers Lodge (opposite the train station on Oakpark Rd) is probably the closest pub to the ground (5 minute walk) and do decent grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Some very interesting ties in the intermediate and junior. You would imagine that Listry should be good enough to win a Novice at this stage, arent they in div 2? Not that its as easy as that I know

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Go into The Sportsfield Bar in Boherbee, just around the corner from Stacks Park.

A good Mayo pub.

Go to Vivaburg next door for something to eat, curry chips and the like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Ciarraí

1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2. Jason Foley Ballydonoghue
    3. Mark Griffin St Michaels-Foilmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Peter Crowley (C) Laune Rangers
    6. Killian Young Renard
    7. Tom O’Sullivan Dingle
    8. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    9. Tadhg Morley Templenoe
    10. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    11. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Jack Savage Kerins O’Rahillys
    14. Paul Geaney Dingle
    15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion

Fir Ionaid:

16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    17. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    18. Michael Geaney Dingle
    19. Brendan O’Sullivan Valentia
    20. Jack Barry Na Gaeil
    21. Barry O’Sullivan Dingle
    22. Ronan Shanahan Austin Stacks
    23. Conor Geaney Dingle
    24. Conor Keane Killarney Legion
    25. Gavin Crowley Templenoe
    26. Adrian Spillane Templenoe

Bainistíocht

Bainisteóir: Eamonn Fitzmaurice (Finuge)
    Róghnóirí: Mikey Sheehy (Austin Stacks), Padraig Corcoran (Dingle), Liam Hassett (Laune Rangers), Maurice Fitzgerald (St Marys).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Same As wrote: »
    Ciarraí

1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2. Jason Foley Ballydonoghue
    3. Mark Griffin St Michaels-Foilmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Peter Crowley (C) Laune Rangers
    6. Killian Young Renard
    7. Tom O’Sullivan Dingle
    8. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    9. Tadhg Morley Templenoe
    10. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    11. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Jack Savage Kerins O’Rahillys
    14. Paul Geaney Dingle
    15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion

Fir Ionaid:

16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    17. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    18. Michael Geaney Dingle
    19. Brendan O’Sullivan Valentia
    20. Jack Barry Na Gaeil
    21. Barry O’Sullivan Dingle
    22. Ronan Shanahan Austin Stacks
    23. Conor Geaney Dingle
    24. Conor Keane Killarney Legion
    25. Gavin Crowley Templenoe
    26. Adrian Spillane Templenoe

Bainistíocht

Bainisteóir: Eamonn Fitzmaurice (Finuge)
    Róghnóirí: Mikey Sheehy (Austin Stacks), Padraig Corcoran (Dingle), Liam Hassett (Laune Rangers), Maurice Fitzgerald (St Marys).

Interesting front 6, Looks like he is going for a hard working 40 yard line with 3 finishers inside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAk3Lnte-Bo

First time I've seen this approach for a team announcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

There's a lot of positives in that team on the face of it. Couple of issues though.

- Jason Foley and Tom O'Sullivan will have 3 games in 7 days, 2 in Sigerson with UCC and this game. That's too much for 20 year olds to be having this time of year..any time of year really. This is a repeat of the episode with Barry O'Sullivan last year when he got injured and missed a lot of time as a result. Barry is on the bench here also. All 3 of these guys played Sigerson last Tuesday and playing again Wednesday coming in 1/4 finals. They actually have long journeys too, Cork-Carlow and South Dublin-Belfast. So much for the talk about burnout. :rolleyes:
    - Naming Morley as midfield: If he's actually going to play around there, then his club mate Adrian Spillane is a more natural midfielder and based on county championship and Kerry Junior performance last year would deserve a run. IF, he's being used as a kind of sweeper fair enough but hopefully Morley marks up and Killian Young deploys as the sweeper which would suit far better I think. Lyne is also named at 10 and is more or less a wing-back, so don't know what sort of formation we're looking at?

Positive seeing Paul Geaney and Jameso in the same team once more. Get them firing together and they'll take stopping. Bench has some interesting options also. Good to see Brendan Sullivan back. Would love to see Gavin Crowley get a run aswell. Conor Geaney is a very exciting inside forward also.

With the players currently unavailable, the squad is going to be fierce competitive come summer you'd feel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement