Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

sorry to be speaking hurling for a moment :pac: , but we have a serious kerry hurler in padjo connelly here in west clare paying for ballyea at the moment .... has anyone alerted the new management , i believe the lad played under age for the kingdom , either way he should be called up to the league team after paddys day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

En Route to Letterkenny now. Looking forward to the coming year. Anyone brave enough to make predictions on the year tis early?

League: 4th
    Munster: Winners
    All Ireland: Winners (feck it if I can't have hope now, when can I!)

Player of the Year (for Kerry): Tadhg Morley
    Young Player of the Year(for Kerry): Jason Foley

Goalkeeper: Brian Kelly (but perhaps might have stiff competition from Murphy)

Best Defender: Morley (I have a feeling he'll be our sweeper for the year).

Best Midfielder: A tough one perhaps Moran? I think we'll play with one orthadox midfielder and Morley sweeping back. If Maher gets back to full fitness I'd prefer Maher there.

Best Forward: Paul Geaney. JOD has too many niggly injuries holding him back at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

New League season so hopefully it will be a good start. Dark wet morning in Kerry, I wonder are conditions the same in Donegal?

Radio5 wrote:
    New League season so hopefully it will be a good start. Dark wet morning in Kerry, I wonder are conditions the same in Donegal?

Gorgeous day here. Lot of fog on the road up but bright crisp day. Very cold but dry and bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

DDC1990 wrote: »
    En Route to Letterkenny now. Looking forward to the coming year. Anyone brave enough to make predictions on the year tis early?

Brave spin. Safe trip.

• Advertisement

Nice win. Well up before taking the foot off the pedal.

A lot of work done with the forwards clearly. Donegal a bit rusty especially defensively.

Referee did them no favours. Murphy was given nothing from him.

Shane Enright got a bad injury but i'm not sure what it was. Collided with Murphy. Possibly a head or shoulder injury. Stretched off.

David Moran was brilliant. Jack Barry looked like he belongs at this level as did Tom O'Sullivan, Jason Foley and Jack Savage who was tireless all day.

James and Paul inside caused loads of trouble to a young pair of Donegal defenders.

Lovely open football, no badness. Jack Barry picked up a late black card for pulling Michael Murphy down.

Paul Geaney got a yellow card for standing his ground while Eoin McHugh ran into him repeatedly. I don't know what he was expected to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Excellent display for first 55 minutes - bit complacent towards end, but maybe understandable given the size of the lead. Jack Savage looks very promising, as does Tom O'Sullivan - unlikely either would start come Championship, but panel looking much deeper, compared to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

unlikely either would start come Championship

why not? if they are able to maintain a steady league campaign, then they will start in the championship.

theres 4 or 5 places up for grabs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

why not? if they are able to maintain a steady league campaign, then they will start in the championship.

theres 4 or 5 places up for grabs

agree with this , the league is so competitive now it acts as a better yardstick then early munster championship especially division 1 ,and the kerry squad looks strong at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

The team captained by Peter Crowley is as follows:

1. Brian Kelly
    Killarney Legion
    Ronan Shanahan
    Austin Stacks

Mark Griffin
    St Michaels-Foilmore
    Killian Young
    Renard
    Jonathan Lyne
    Killarney Legion

Peter Crowley (C)
    Laune Rangers
    Tadhg Morley
    Templenoe
    David Moran
    Kerins O’Rahillys
    Jack Barry
    Na Gaeil
    Adrian Spillane
    Templenoe
    Paul Murphy
    Rathmore
    Donnchadh Walsh
    Cromane
    Jack Savage
    Kerins O’Rahillys
    Paul Geaney
    Dingle
    James O’Donoghue
    Killarney Legion

Subs

Brendan Kealy
    Kilcummin
    Tom O’Sullivan
    Dingle
    Jason Foley
    Ballydonoghue
    Michael Geaney
    Dingle
    Barry John Keane
    Kerins O’Rahillys
    Barry O’Sullivan
    Dingle

Brendan O’Sullivan
    Valentia
    Conor Keane
    Killarney Legion

Conor Geaney
    Dingle
    Gavin Crowley
    Templenoe
    Denis Daly
    St Marys

Bainistíocht

Bainisteóir: Eamonn Fitzmaurice (Finuge)

Róghnóirí: Mikey Sheehy (Austin Stacks), Padraig Corcoran (Dingle), Liam Hassett (Laune Rangers), Maurice Fitzgerald (St Marys).

Additional Information:

Adrian Spillane was a Kerry Minor in 2012, U21 in 2014 and won a Junior All Ireland in 2016 & a Junior Club with Templenoe, Mac le Tom.

Jack Barry made his League debut agaianst Donegal last weekend when coming on very early for the injured Shane Enright. A Kerry Minor in 2012 he played Under 21 in 2015. He played in the recent McGrath Cup final against Limerick.

Ronan Shanahan of Austin Stacks has never played for Kerry in any grade but was a member of the McGrath Cup squad earlier in the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kerry Senior Hurling Team V Laois – Allianz Hurling League Division 1B

Sunday February 12th 2017

The Kerry Senior Hurling Team to play Laois in the opening round of the Allianz Hurling League on Sunday next in Austin Stack Park at 2 pm captained by Aiden McCabe of Kilmoyley is as follows:

1 Aiden McCabe (C) Kilmoyley

2 Sean Weir Crotta O’Neills

3 Rory Horgan St Brendans

4 Bryan Murphy Causeway

5 Paud Costello Ballyduff

6 Patrick Kelly Clarecastle

7 Darren Dineen St Brendans

8 Paudie O’Connor Kilmoyley

9 Colum Harty Causeway

10 Jack Goulding Ballyduff

11 Mikey Boyle Ballyduff

12 Daniel Collins Kilmoyley

13 Jordan Conway Crotta O’Neills

14 Padraig Boyle Ballyduff

15 Shane Nolan Crotta O’Neills

Fir Ionaid:

16 Martin Stackpoole Lixnaw

17 James O’Connor Abbeydorney

18 Keith Carmody Causeway

19 John Griffin Lixnaw

20 James Godley Kilmoyley

21 John Buckley Lixnaw

22 Tomás O’Connor Crotta O’Neills

23 Philp Lucid Ballyheigue

24 Billy Lyons Causeway

25 Sean Nolan Kilmoyley

26 Daniel O’Carroll Ballyduff

Bainistíocht:

Bainisteoir: Fintan O’Connor

Coach: Brendan Cummins

Treanálaí: Damien Ryall (Abbeydorney)

Róghnóir: Ian Brick (Kilmoyley)

Unavailable – Rehabbing from Injury

Tommy Casey Causeway

Michael O’Leary Abbeydorney

Brendan O’Leary Abbeydorney

Lads looking at the matchups there who will go man to man with Paul Geaney?

I'm assuming Newcombe will mark Savage and Higgins will mark James O.

I think Durcan on Geaney is a massive physical mismatch.

Maybe Durcan on James (pace v pace) and Higgins on Geaney? Or would someone like Vaughan drop back to mark Geaney, leaving Durcan free further up the field.

Midfield will be intriguing. Moran v Parsons is a 50/50 battle and Vaughan then has years of experience on Jack Barry- but Barry dealt very well with Donegal's young midfielers in the first half, and when Michael Murphy tried to rough him up at the start of the second, he more than held his own. I think Vaughan will drop back in some capacity leaving Barry half free to roam.

In defence Shanahan will pick up Regan with Griffin on Freeman and Killian v Cillian. Cillian O'Connor is quite a similar player to Paddy McBrearty (just more talented, but slightly less pace IMO). Our own Killian dealt well with McB last week and never let him inside to shoot. This is our most important matchup to get right, and it'll be hugely important to get Crowley and Morley sweeping back to smother O'Connor when he does win posession.

I'd like to see Morley marking Kevin McLoughlin and leave Crowley free to hold the middle and have Paul Murphy sweep back.
    Lyne on Doherty and Boland free with Murphy tracking back to him maybe.

Delighted to see Adrian Spillane getting a run. He's been the best player for his team any time I've seen him play (outside of the 6 minutes he got in the McGrath Cup final where he still had 2 turnovers at wingback!). For Templenoe, Kenmare and Kerry Juniors he's a player that rises to the occasion on the big day. I see him playing a role for us this year, with that number 10 shirt missing someone brave, hardworking, selfless and with a talent for popping over a score or two. Maybe Adrian is the man?

Jesus.

Raging with that.

Great first half, should have been 10+ points up. Moran with a very poor penalty.

Second half shambles. No energy. Mayo stepped it up a gear and really troubled us inside. Mark Griffin got a footballing lesson from Andy Moran.

Referee was awful picky. Terrible call on the Lyne black card. It was a cynical jersey pull, but not to ground. Yellow card offence. Jason Foley deserved his for a foot trip. Parsons Red Card was a joke if it was a straight Red. He was on a yellow and his shoulder in the back was a yellow card offence so maybe thw ref flashed a second yellow first, but it was right in front of me and I didn't see a yellow.

Paul Geaney, and Killian Young were massive losses. Also James must have picked up an injury before the game. 3 experienced heads replaced by 2 rookies in Conor Keane Tom O'Sullivan. And Barry John who had a good game.

David Moran was ****. Utter rubbish after having a stormer last week. His downright awful footpassing cost us several attacks.

Mickey Geaney needs to be shown the road. I supported his inclusion after the McGrath cup final, but two games in a row he's let us down in a big way.

Adrian Spillane was quiet. Donnacha Walsh was off form. Jack Savage looked great in the first half but disappeared in the second.

Jack Barry had a storming first half but the game passed him by in the second.

Tadhg Morley had a very good game on Cillian O'Connor.

Up front with Jack Savage, Barry John and Conor Keane we were constantly second to the ball when the **** hit the fan. Conor Geaney got a nice point but was also second to most 50/50 balls.

So frustrated leaving the game, that should have been wrapped up at half time only to see us collapse in the second.

Fair play to Mayo fought hard, played good football and brought a great crowd. Andy Moran was brilliant as were Durcan, Higgins and Newcombe in the full back line. Kevin McLoughlin linked well from the defence and Conor O'Shea caused Lyne a lot of trouble.

The constant messing around at the back with the ball caused a lot of problems both teams did a fair share of it but we seemed to get caught more because of it,just thought it was over complicating the game at times

David Moran and Jack Barry at midfield just get the ball out to them and get the in for any breaks and go from there

Tralee is too tight for playing short kick outs especially these ones into corners only asking for the other team to push up and squeeze the play.

The first half showed what the lads can do when they run at teams,cut through and should have had a few goals more on the scoreboard

Early days in the league,plenty of time to get to a full 70 minute performance,plenty to work on and the loss tonight will stand to the lads in the long run,few of them now know what its like to play at this level and against a team like Mayo.

early days, but if you include the limerick game, thats 3 games in a row where we faded badly in the second half. very worrying.

Things we need:

An Actual Kickout Strategy/Change of Personnel

A Full Back

An Actual out and out wing forward, possibly two.

if Fitzmaurice keeps playing Mikey Geaney then im going to lose faith in him quickly.

he needs to be put out to pasture and back to playing club football. its astonishing that he is a Kerry player.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Same As wrote:
    A Full Back
    Do you not rate Mark Griffin ?

As recency biased as it might seem given he had a poor game yesterday, generally I don't think he's our answer at full back.

Personally, would like to see him possibly in half back line, think his pace and desire to get forward are wasted in FB.

Stoner wrote:
    Do you not rate Mark Griffin ?

I think the issue with Griffin is he is not agile enough at Full Back. He's great as a combo Full Back/Centre Back like last week on Murphy, but an out an out Full Forward like Andy Moran can twist him inside out and get in behind him.

Someone like Paddy Andrews for Dublin would also put him in great difficulty and it's too easily exploited come championship time.

On reflection the loss of Enright, Young, James an Paul had us severely hamstrung, and with several of the lads having played a match on Sunday a Sigerson match on Wednesday and the match last night it's no wonder we looked leggy in the second half.

Jason Foley, Tom O'Sullivan, Jack Barry, Adrian Spillane, Barry O'Sullivan, Denis Daly and Mikey Geaney all played midweek and most of them played some part in all 3 games- Jack Barry having played 60 minutes on Sunday and Wednesday and 70 minutes last night.

Mayo also had a few lads playing Sigerson- Boland, Diarmuid O'Connor, Cohen and Durcan off the top of my head, but an extra day recovery from last weekend had them looking much stronger in the second half.

Not that any of this is an excuse as to why we lost but it might be part of the reason we lacked energy in the second half.

Mayo's tactics in the second half, pushing up on our kickouts, playing our forwards from the front and exploiting Andy Moran's dominance were key, and we didn't counter that at all.

Subs are meant to have a positive impact on performance but last night they hindered us greatly with the exception of Barry John who aquitted himself well.

I'll count Conor Keane as a sub as he wasn't named in the starting lineup originally but apart from a few early balls won out in front he offered little threat.

BJK got 1-3 and apart from one wild shot had a very good impact.

Tom O'Sullivan has no right leg and only seems to shoot off the outside of the left kicking two easy wides after good runs. Looked gassed even before half time!

Mikey Geaney- for the second week in a row had a negative effect on the team with a low workrate, poor footpassing and two half tackles leaving a Mayo half back fly forward with ease.

Conor Geaney- won very little ball but scored a nice point.

Barry O'Sullivan- Didn't see much from him good or bad.

Jason Foley- what seemed like a 30 second cameo where he made a good tackle and then tripped the Mayo player up at the next play and got a deserved black card. Not what we meant by taking up Shane Enright's role!

All in all massively frustrating to lose one at home. Big game against Monaghan in a fortnights time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Same As wrote:
    Personally, would like to see him possibly in half back line, think his pace and desire to get forward are wasted in FB.

Fair enough, I'd expect he might have the same issues wherever he plays. IMO it's no harm to carry a lad like that as the grit and strength they offer can be exploited if everyone is nippy.

I'm a fan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Jack Barry added some pacevto the Kerry midfield

Mighty win by the hurlers yesterday after a poor first half,whatever was said at half time it worked they came back out more hungrier and were first to everything,the second half was a real 1 to 15 performance

Dont think there is a relegation play off this year so that should the win yesterday should be massive.

Allianz HL Division 1B
    Kerry 3-14 Laois 0-19
    Kerry staged a staggering second-half comeback to make it three wins in two years over Laois in this crucial Allianz Hurling League 1B clash, played before a sparse attendance.

A Kerry victory looked unlikely at the break as they trailed by nine points but three second-half goals turned the tie on its head.

Laois travelled to Austin Stack Park, Tralee with new manager and former Kerry hurling manager Eamonn Kelly back on familiar territory.

They played with the aid of a strong wind in the first-half and led at the interval by 0-13 to 0-4 thanks to four points from play by corner-forward Willie Dunphy.

Kerry’s first and only score from play came from Shane Nolan in the 29th minute and they were in trouble in most sectors with Stephen Maher punishing them from placed balls.

The second-half was a different story however. Kerry dominated the middle third and looked much the hungrier side.

Their half-back-line of Paud Costello, Patrick Kelly and Darren Dineen really upped their game while Mikey Boyle started plucking balls out of the air. Kerry had missed five scoreable frees in the opening half but once Shane Nolan found his radar, Laois appeared to lose their way.

Padraig Boyle scored Kerry’s first goal from a penalty in the 38th minute and he added another in the 59th minute from play. That was quickly followed in the 60th minute by a third Kerry goal from midfielder Colum Harty to make the scores level on a scoreline of 3-9 to 0-18.

Kerry finished much the stronger and sealed the win with a late Paudie O’Connor point to give them a welcome winning start to the League, much to the delight of new Kerry manager Fintan O’Connor.

“What we’re looking for is quality and I saw Tipperary manager Michael Ryan saying last night at this time of year you won’t see a lot of quality but what we’re looking for is a lot of honesty and endeavour. It was really cold out there but you want the lads to have the right attitude.

"I thought we did better on the breaks in the second-half and we were just a little bit sharper. We’re delighted with the win and to get the two points and we know we have some tough challenges ahead.”

Kelly was disappointed having looked set for victory at the interval. “We are disappointed but the better team won on the day. We did not score enough from play but we are a young side and some of Kerry’s more experienced players shone in the second-half. We will just have to regroup for the challenges ahead.”

Scorers for Kerry:

P Boyle (2-1, 1-0 pen); S Nolan (0-6, 5 frees); C Harty (1-2); M Boyle and D Collins (0-2 each); P O’Connor (0-1)

Scorers for Laois:

S Maher (0-11 frees); W Dunphy (0-4); P Whelan, B Conroy, N Foyle and P J Scully (0-1 each).

KERRY:

A McCabe; S Weir, R Horgan, B Murphy; P Costello, P Kelly, D Dineen; P O’Connor , C Harty ; J Goulding, M Boyle , D Collins ; J Conway, P Boyle , S Nolan.

Subs:

K Carmody for J Conway (53), J O’Connor for J Goulding (72)

LAOIS:

E Fleming: D Palmer, R Mullaney, P Lawlor; L Bergin, M Whelan, P Whelan; P Purcell, Ben Conroy; C Taylor, N Foyle , R King; W Dunphy, C Dwyer, S Maher

Subs:

PJ Scully for C Taylor (57), E Lyons for P Whelan (60), S Downey for R Mullaney (63), C Healy for N Foyle (66)

Referee:

J Murphy ( Limerick).

Paul Murphy lads,is it time to move him back into the backs,we arent exactly short of forward options and I think a move back into the backs would strengthen us up,could have him at wing back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Paul Murphy lads,is it time to move him back into the backs,we arent exactly short of forward options and I think a move back into the backs would strengthen us up,could have him at wing back

Yeah. I was OK with the experiment at the time but it's not been the unqualified success it would have had to be to justify taking him out of the backs.

I highly doubt we'll see him going back however.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There was a romour going around Terrace Talk last night about u 16s being charged admission to the upcoming Dublin game, whereas u16s are usually free to all league games.

Anyone hear anything about that ?

There was a romour going around Terrace Talk last night about u 16s being charged admission to the upcoming Dublin game, whereas u16s are usually free to all league games.

Anyone hear anything about that ?

WHILE just under 9,000 people paid in to see the Kerry v Mayo match on Saturday night, it’s almost certain that the next Kerry game under lights in Tralee will be a sellout.

Tickets for Kerry v Dublin are flying out of the shop in Garveys Supervalu at the moment. TraleeToday.ie was in the queue for tickets on Saturday afternoon in the Rock Street supermarket and two out the four customers in front were buying tickets for the March 18 clash.

We were told the demand for tickets for the clash with the All-Ireland champions was already huge. Because of this, it’s important to note that there is no free entry for Under 16s as there has been for previous league matches.

It’s a ticket only affair, so if you’re bringing the kids you’ll have to buy them a ticket. Juveniles (Under 16 Years of Age) will have to pay €5 for the ticket to get in and it’s advised to get them in advance before they sell out. Tickets are available in Supervalu and Centra stores or from GAA.ie by clicking here and are €12 for adults.

Meanwhile, pubs and restaurants enjoyed a bumper Saturday night in town. Mayo fans were out in force and brought a great atmosphere to bars leaving the tills ringing, while many Kerry fans also made a night of it and stayed out for drinks. Roll on the Dublin game.

http://traleetoday.ie/tickets-selling-quickly-kerry-v-dublin-game/

https://gaa.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/32575/allianz-leagues-gaa-football-kerry-v-dublin-austin-stack-park-18-March-2017

The GAA can confirm that all tickets made available for the Allianz Football League meeting of Kerry and Dublin at Austin Stack Park, Tralee on Saturday March 18 (7.0), have been sold out.

Public sale commenced on Monday and 10,500 tickets, including season tickets, have been allocated.

It is hoped that a health and safety inspection of the venue next week will lead to the availability of additional 1,000 tickets and these too are expected to sell out quickly given the strong demand to date.

Hurlers are unchanged for tomorrows game against Limerick,really tomorrow is all about been as competitive as you can be and to use it as a build up game for the Offaly game down the line,Limerick will be going all out to get a big win after last weeks loss to Wexford,

The Kerry Senior Hurling Team to play Limerick in Round 2 of the Allianz Hurling League on Sunday next in the Gaelic Grounds at 2 pm is the same 15 as started in the Round 1 win over Laois. The team captained by Aiden McCabe of Kilmoyley is as follows:

1 Aiden McCabe (C) Kilmoyley

2 Sean Weir Crotta O’Neills

3 Rory Horgan St Brendans

4 Bryan Murphy Causeway

5 Paud Costello Ballyduff

6 Patrick Kelly Clarecastle

7 Darren Dineen St Brendans

8 Paudie O’Connor Kilmoyley

9 Colum Harty Causeway

10 Jack Goulding Ballyduff

11 Mikey Boyle Ballyduff

12 Daniel Collins Kilmoyley

13 Jordan Conway Crotta O’Neills

14 Padraig Boyle Ballyduff

15 Shane Nolan Crotta O’Neills

Fir Ionaid:

16 Martin Stackpoole Lixnaw

17 James O’Connor Abbeydorney

18 Keith Carmody Causeway

19 James Godley Kilmoyley

20 Stephen Murphy Causeway

21 John Buckley Lixnaw

22 Tomás O’Connor Crotta O’Neills

23 Philp Lucid Ballyheigue

24 Billy Lyons Causeway

25 Liam Mullins Lixnaw

26 Jason Wallace Lixnaw

27 Fionán Horgan Ardfert

28 John Griffin Lixnaw

Bainistíocht:

Bainisteoir: Fintan O’Connor

Coach: Brendan Cummins

Treanálaí: Damien Ryall (Abbeydorney)

Róghnóir: Ian Brick (Kilmoyley)

Extended Panel for Sunday’s Game

Daniel O’Carroll Ballyduff

Sean Nolan Kilmoyley

Jordan Brick Kilmoyley

Darragh Shanahan Lixnaw

David Silles Lixnaw

Unavailable – Rehabbing from Injury

Tommy Casey Causeway

Michael O’Leary Abbeydorney

Brendan O’Leary Abbeydorney

Jason Diggins Causeway

Really tomorrow is all about been as competitive as you can be,Limerick will be going all out to get a big win after last weeks loss to Wexford,

• Advertisement

Jack Barry and Barry O Sullivan both playing midfield for UCD in the Sigerson cup final on TG4 now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement