Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I heard youse did well on the dancing programme

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I heard youse did well on the dancing programme

if he wins dose it count as number 38 .....:pac:

Be only fkn thing you win this year :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

grand job.....i'll be on my way......let ye sort this out between yerselves :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

After watching Darren O'Sullivan last weekend, I would have sworn he wouldn't be seen for 2-3 weeks at least, celebrations aside. That won't have done him any good come the summer. Bizarre decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I would need to see it again but from watching it on TV tonight I thought our goalkeeper probably shouldn't have been so far off his line for either of the goals we conceded.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,014 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

keane2097 wrote: »
    He said that's great Bryan that's great followed by **** sake

They were chatting away going into the hotel for their meal after. If I was Fitz I would have told Sheehan to go next door to Burger King and pay for it himself:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

BPKS wrote: »
    They were chatting away going into the hotel for their meal after. If I was Fitz I would have told Sheehan to go next door to Burger King and pay for it himself:mad::mad:

That scenario right there sums up Fitz relationship with the older members of this Kerry panel. Not ruthless enough with them.
    I doubt Brian Cody would be all chatty to a member of his panel after the game if he got a red card under a minute. Cody by all accounts keeps a distance from all the players so he doesn't create friendships and he can drop them off the panel or make tough calls. Mark o Se and Aidan o Mahony would more than likely have seen game time yesterday had they not retired. Fitz doesn't make hard calls on certain players. Now the players are not played with the huge desire or previous Kerry teams and they need to look at themselves also, but like the buck does stop with the management teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

More away-day cheer for defiant Monaghan in Killarney

Kerry 1-10 Monaghan 2-8: Monaghan’s Division 1 league schedule had the sheer angle of a cliff-face to it with first month visits to Mayo, Kerry and Tyrone. Now? Not so much.

Five points from six, their only dropped point at home to Cavan as they prepare for a trip to Omagh next Saturday. And they’ll do so with a bounce in their step after a gloriously foul 70-odd minutes yesterday in Killarney.

No team out-toils Monaghan and whether Kerry made that cardinal sin yesterday is a point of debate. The Kingdom were limited to two points from play, the same amount Conor McManus pilfered in four clinical second-half minutes. Their manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice described Kerry’s decision-making as “a bit off”, but Monaghan ran them down cul-de-sacs and into tall walls and they did all this while suffering one injury setback after another.

This wasn’t just a result to savour, it was a performance to quicken the pulse of the Monaghan faithful and their manager. The difference being O’Rourke must get his tidy squad, further compromised by three injuries yesterday, down and then up again for Tyrone next weekend.

“When we won in Tralee two years ago, some local man said afterwards ‘shure it’s only the league’, and of course it is. Holding Kerry to two points from play in these conditions is very different to repeating it in the summer. That full-forward line they have is as good as anything in the country, but it was an afternoon for defenders,” O’Rourke reflected.

Of course that’s true but wins away to Mayo and Kerry in February is the type of feelgood fragrance anyone would like to inhale, even at the dawning stage of the campaign. The defeat leaves Kerry and their manager in familiar league territory, looking edgily over their shoulders at the trapdoor to Division 2. Next weekend’s visit to Roscommon assumes the feel of a must-win game now

Though Monaghan’s sleeves were rolled up from the get-go, they could have been further adrift than the two-point half-time deficit (1-5 to 1-3) had wind-assisted Kerry availed of a couple of goalscoring chances — one in particular for the usually deadly Paul Geaney in the 19th minute. Four minutes later, a James O’Donoghue free had the hosts 1-4 to 0-2 in front but Jack McCarron’s 27th-minute goal shifted the momentum. Brendan Kealy saved Conor McManus’ first effort, but McCarron, feeling his way back after injury, was more decisive than those bidding to foil him, from the rebound into play.

Kerry’s decision-making was ill-judged when it wasn’t ponderous, but they never got a moment’s respite. Monaghan had use of the elements in the second-half, but the physical clamp never relented. They lost Colin Walshe before half-time, Darren Hughes failed to reappear for the second period and sub Owen Duffy departed after only 10 second-half minutes. But within six minutes of the restart they had a McManus-Doogan axis to celebrate as the latter finished low and purposefully past Kealy in the Kerry goal.

A McCarron point a minute later had Monaghan in front for the first time, and Kieran Hughes — what an engine — reclaimed the lead for them in the 57th minute when he made it 2-6 to 1-8. Hughes and Doogan sat behind midfield, Shane Carey drifted onto outlet ball and Conor McManus roamed the prairies of the half-forward line as the visitors continued to frustrate and dispossess laboured Kerry.

McManus popped two points to open a three-point gap and two late Kerry frees wouldn’t deny them the points. “Our defence has been going very well and we are pleased with that but without sounding smart a Kerry forward line in the summer time compared to a Kerry forward line in wintery conditions is completely different. We are wise to that as well,” said O’Rourke.

Recognising the peril of their last quarter situation, Fitzmaurice threw in proven talents — Maher, Darran O’Sullivan and Bryan Sheehan — but the latter’s first act was to swing back and see red from referee Derek O’Mahony. More sustenance for Monaghan. It shouldn’t go unsaid that Kerry are light on resources at the moment, and whatever inexperience cost them yesterday, the likes of Ronan Shanahan, Jack Barry and Kevin McCarthy — who started for the suspended Donnchadh Walsh — will profit in the long-term from such an intense examination of their inter-county credentials.

The steadiness of Tadhg Morley yesterday underlines how quickly nascent talent can progress, but the Kingdom’s need for league points is immediate at this stage. Only one Kerry forward scored from play, and they went 23 second-half minutes without a score. Getting usable ball into Messrs Savage, Geaney and O’Donoghue was beyond them and Geaney was withdrawn after 50 minutes. Malachy O’Rourke doesn’t have such luxuries and admitted Monaghan could be tight for bodies next weekend. Not that anyone will be spending unnecessary time on the treatment table with the whiff of momentum in their nostrils.

Scorers for Kerry:

J. O’Donoghue (0-3, frees), P. Geaney (0-3, frees), D Moran (1-0), P. Murphy, T Morley (0-1 each), B Kealy, BJ Keane (0-1 each, frees)

Scorers for Monaghan:

J McCarron (1-3, 1 free), G Doogan (1-0), C McManus (0-2), K Hughes (0-2), R Beggan (0-1, free)

KERRY:

B Kealy; S Enright, M Griffin, K Young; T Morley, P Crowley, R Shanahan; D Moran, J Barry; J Lyne, P Murphy, K McCarthy; J Savage, J O’Donoghue, P. Geaney.

Subs:

S O’Brien for Savage (half-time); B J Keane for Geaney (51); A Spillane for McCarthy (53); A Maher for Barry (55, black card); D O’Sullivan for Crowley (61); B Sheehan for Moran (65)

MONAGHAN:

R Beggan; F Kelly, C Walshe, R Wylie; K O’Connell, D Wylie J Mealiff; D Hughes, K Hughes; K Duffy, S Carey, G Doogan; D Malone, J McCarron, C McManus.

Subs:

N McAdam for Walshe (29); O Duffy for D Hughes (half time); R McAnespie for Mealiff (ht); C. McCarthy for O Duffy (46); T Kerr for Malone (65)

Referee:

D O’Mahony (Tipperary).

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/more-away-day-cheer-for-defiant-monaghan-in-killarney-443907.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Along with the McGrath Cup, which we've already won, surely?

• Advertisement

Along with the McGrath Cup, which we've already won, surely?

McGrath and dancing... What would Joe Keohane think...

That was a very poor game yesterday,riddled with mistakes in which we made the most of,very slow to restart the game as well,it just seems to take an age for the ball to be kicked out,we were very predictable and at the moment are easy to play against

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I wouldn't be too worried. The team is only back since early Jan and doing heavy gym work.

I wouldnt expect us to be sharp in appauling conditions.

Monaghan were chomping at the bit and fully deserved it.

It'll be forgotten about by May.

It always is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I wouldn't be getting too carried away with yesterday really, still early days and we have been very hit and miss the last few years in the league.
    I'd be more annoyed by some of the decisions as mentioned above. I really can't understand why Darren was even there yesterday let alone bring him on. He may only have had a dead leg the last day but he should have some time off.
    I don't understand the rotation of goalies either, just pick one and be done with it. Sheehan's red card was stupid, hit him right or don't do it at all, a petulant act which there was no need for.
    There's still a good few players that I don't think are worth their place on the panel, id love to now what training they are doing, they looked very heavy legged yesterday. Monaghan took some great scores yesterday and we didnt, that was the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 17,014 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Anybody have their season ticket attendance updated for yesterday yet? Mine hasnt and I'm a bit wary after hearing some stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Anybody have their season ticket attendance updated for yesterday yet? Mine hasnt and I'm a bit wary after hearing some stories!

Mine hasn't yet anyway, took a while for mine to scan also. Hopefully no issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

You need to actually attend the match tho :D

Bit of a laugh here between a few legends of the game

http://stacks100.ie/mikey-sheehy-1978-goal-recreation/

he Kerry hurling team to play Wexford in Round 3 of the Allianz Hurling League on Sunday next in Wexford Park at 2 pm shows four changes in personnel from the side defeated by Limerick in Round 2.

Martin Stackpoole comes into goal in place of Aidan McCabe; James O’Connor starts in defence in place of the injured Paud Costello and up front, Daniel Collins returns from injury in place of Mikey Boyle who has a hand injury and John Buckley comes in for the suspended Shane Nolan

The team captained by Daniel Collins of Kilmoyley is as follows

1. Martin Stackpoole Lixnaw

2. Keith Carmody Causeway

3. Rory Horgan St Brendans

4. Sean Weir, Crotta O’Neills

5. James O’Connor, Abbeydorney

6. Bryan Murphy, Causeway

7. Darren Dineen, St Brendans

8. Jack Goulding, Ballyduff

9. Paudie O’Connor, Kilmoyley

10. Daniel Collins (C), Kilmoyley

11. Patrick Kelly, Clarecastle

12. Calum Harty, Causeway

13. Jordan Conway, Crotta O’Neills

14. Padraig Boyle, Ballyduff

15. John Buckley, Lixnaw

Fir Ionaid:

16. Aiden McCabe , Kilmoyley

17. James Godley, Kilmoyley

18. Tomás O’Connor, Crotta O’Neills

19. Jason Wallace, Lixnaw

20. Daniel O’Carroll, Ballyduff

21. Stephen Murphy, Causeway

22. Finn Horgan, Ardfert

23. Philip Lucid, Ballyheigue

24. Sean Nolan, Kilmoyley

25. Brendan O’Leary, Abbeydorney

26. Tom Murnane, Kilmoyley

http://traleetoday.ie/changes-kerry-team-face-wexford-sunday/

The Kerry Senior Football Team to play Roscommon in Round 4 of the Allianz Football League in Hyde Park Roscommon on Sunday at 2pm shows 2 changes in personnel from the side defeated by Monaghan Round 3.

Killian Young takes over at full back in place of Mark Griffin while Paul Murphy is restored to the defence and up front Donnchadh Walsh returns after a one match suspension with Barry John Keane starting in the corner – Jonathan Lyne is the player to lose out.

In the subs, Denis Daly and Conor Keane come into the match day squad in place of Brendan O’Sullivan and the suspended Bryan Sheehan.

The team captained by Peter Crowley is as follows:

Ciarraí

1. Brendan KealyKilcummin

2. Shane EnrightTarbert

3. Killian Young Renard

4. Ronan ShanahanAustin Stacks

5. Peter Crowley(C)Laune Rangers

6. Tadhg MorleyTemplenoe

7. Paul MurphyRathmore

8. David MoranKerins O’Rahillys

9. Jack BarryNa Gaeil

10. Kevin McCarthyKilcummin

11. Jack SavageKerins O’Rahillys

12. Donnchadh WalshCromane

13. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys

14. Paul GeaneyDingle

15. James O’DonoghueKillarney Legion

Fir Ionaid:

16. Brian KellyKillarney Legion

17. Jonathan LyneKillarney Legion

18. Mark GriffinSt Michaels-Foilmore

19. Anthony MaherDuagh

20. Stephen O’BrienKenmare

21. Darran O’SullivanGlenbeigh-Glencar

22. Michael GeaneyDingle

23. Cathal Ó LúingAn Ghaeltacht

24. Gavin CrowleyTemplenoe

25. Denis DalySt Marys

26. Conor KeaneKillarney Legion

Bainistíocht

Bainisteóir: Eamonn Fitzmaurice (Finuge)

Róghnóirí: Mikey Sheehy (Austin Stacks), Padraig Corcoran (Dingle), Liam Hassett (Laune Rangers), Maurice Fitzgerald (St Marys).

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/10020187/Kerry_V_Roscommon_Allianz_Football_League_Round_4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

That's s nice looking team. I hope Geaney and JOD are fit, neither looked anywhere near 100% last weekend. Odd to see Murphy moving back to no. 7 after he has been playing as a forward for so long. We're not short of bodies back there.

Does anybody know why Brendan O'Sullivan is not on the subs, is he injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

mickeyk wrote:
    Does anybody know why Brendan O'Sullivan is not on the subs, is he injured?

Form.

He's been chronic in the 3 games i've seen him in (Limerick, Donegal and Mayo).

His football awareness is very low at the moment and his abilty to turn and muck in defensively is poor. In attack this year he runs into danger far too often.

Great potential with that body size and that speed, but a long way to go before we can make an intercounty player put of him. Michael Dara McCauley won footballer of the year with a similar skillset, but McCauley is a much more fluid and intelligent footballer.

Would love to see him make it for Kerry, but at the moment he doesn't suit us playing in a bog in Roscommon.

So the team indicates a change of strategy from the sweeper system back to man to man.

We've now got the 6 best man markers available to us playing 2-7, with Paul Murphy dropping back and Mark Griffin dropping out.

Up front bringing in BJK was important. He's in form and getting minutes here and there doesn't help him maintain that form. The soft pitch will suit him, as his lack of pace won't be exposed. He's a good man to win a free and has an eye for goal, which might be crucial if the weather stays nasty.

Jack Savage at CHF is interesting. The experiment failed in Limerick at the McGrath Cup final where he failed to get in the game and while we built a nice lead, he played a peripheral role.

The man to man system failed in the second half as our half forwards tired, leaving gaps in our man to man defence for Limerick to pour through. And this is a team that is currently winless sitting bottom of Division 4! Roscommon's forwards will have no problem scoring if gaps are left.

But something had to be done about the isolated full forward line, where 2 of the best full forwards in the country in JOD and Geaney were left starved of possession. Geaney didn't look right at all and his effort was poor, which compounded things.

Nice to see McCarthy retain his position. He didn't look out of place and while he didn't have much of an input in attack he did track his man well. Likewise it's nice to see Jack Barry hold onto his place at midfield. Kieran Hughes gave him a bit of a lesson last week, but this Roscommon midfield are no great shakes.

Looking forward to Sunday, hopefully the weather holds up and the game can go ahead.

Having seen the way the League has panned out I can see us winning all our away games and losing all our home games. Crazy situation.

I'm normally a positive guy but Dublin are going to make absolute **** of us in Tralee on Paddy's Weekend!

Bring back Maher, Sheehan and Donaghy. Take out the young lads and turn it into a scrap. Let no momentum build and do what Monaghan did to us. Frustrate the hell out of them. If we try to beat them with football, we will end up taking a thumping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

DDC1990 wrote: »
    If we try to beat them with football, we will end up taking a thumping.

It's not often you see a Kerry man admit that. But you are perfectly correct. Dublin are on a different level at the moment, 30 odd games unbeaten, squad being up to scrutiny, no real end in sight. They have the hunger to win every game, which is a hard thing for management to keep but they are doing a great job, credit where it's due. Unfortunately, it's hard not to see their domination continue.

Good to get a win. Plenty to give out about but nice to keep clear of the bottom 2.

Geaney was on form. Shanahan, Enright and McCarthy impressive. Maher came on for Barry before half time and looked a class above.

Pity about the Hurlers. Level at half time but hammered in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Just out from the game.

Jod easily motm and made the difference.

Kerry were patient and didn't get out of second gear. That wind was worth a few points.

Roscommon were muck so hard to judge. They kicked away ball and ran into tackles. Their forwards werent running off the ball.

Moran had a great game. Worked tirelessly and kicked a good point. We had some poor wides in the second half in particular.

Crowley had a poor game and was rightly hooked. BJK faded after a good point from the wing.

Positives

1. Movement was excellent. Kerry look fit and well coached.

2. Composure. We let them back into the game by kicking bad wides but worked it up after the penalty and got a good point and a better goal.

3. Young defenders coming along.

Negatives

1. A 14 man Roscommon team went from six points to one point down. We tune out in the second half for periods. If we can't maintain our concentration Dublin will murder us.

2. Some of the panel seriously off the pace. Crowley. Stephen o brien. Jack Barry. I'm hoping this is down to heavy training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Thought Kevin McCarthy acquitted himself very well today, made very few mistakes and worked tirelessly throughout.

Kealy will be happy enough with his performance also, a more assured option than Kelly. Will get the nod for the Dublin game.

Same As wrote:
    Thought Kevin McCarthy acquitted himself very well today, made very few mistakes and worked tirelessly throughout.

Himself and Shanahan were very assured. Aparently Jack Savage got fierce praise from Radio Kerry. I thought he did alright but still didn't look dangerous from half forward in my opinion.

Man to Man in defence as I expected. Wouldnt dream of going that way against Dublin.

We'll have Griffin back into the team and Murphy back to number 11.

Donnacha Walsh way off the pace and did us no harm getting the black card and having O'Brien on. McCarthy filled his role well and was tireless.

Morley was much more assured today on a man of similar pace to himself. Extremely brave around the breaks.

Young going off injured is a big worry. Got through a mountain of work again today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Himself and Shanahan were very assured. Aparently Jack Savage got fierce praise from Radio Kerry. I thought he did alright but still didn't look dangerous from half forward in my opinion.

I didn't see it but did he not get two points from play from the 40 despite being taken off with 20 mins to go?

I am biased but I think your analysis of him in the McGrath Cup final was very negative also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement