Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Oh don't get me wrong he had a good game. He got 2 points and got on a bit of ball. Just the guy behind me was relaying all the information from Kerry Radio where they were going on about him as if he was Man of the Match. I'm not anti Jack at all! He was brilliant against Donegal and has been a great addition to the team.

My assessment of Jack's performance against Limerick was tough. But I didn't think he influenced the game at all from Centre Forward.

Today again he got his scores from in close to goal where I think he's most effective. BJK came out to CHF for a while leaving Jack Savage inside for a while. They swapped back before Savage was withdrawn.

As I said I don't think he played badly, but I don't think his ideal role is at CHF.

In better news for the Narries, David Moran had a good game apart from two poor footpasses early.

Edit: To prove im not biased, Jack Barry was poor today and against Monaghan. Kieran Hughes gave him a lesson last week and today he kept dropping ball he should have held. Like Savage he is young and will grow from every Intercounty game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I think you may be a bit hash here on him- I thought he played well today and exerts a lot of control on the pace of the game.

If we are going to reference the game in limerick- I game I also has the misfortune of being at- then Shane enright, geaney and several others would never play for kerry again!

Fair enough. Obviously my opinion is based on watching the game live. If I get any chance to watch it back in any detail i'll keep an eye on him. TG4 may have better highlights.

McStay made an absolute show of himself on the field today. He was giving out after the game about a Kerry kickout that was allowed to be retaken because of a man inside the 13, but the only incident that I recall where this happened was on a Roscommon kickout. He ignored the fact that Roscommon got away with a player touching the ball on the ground inside the 13m line early in the second and several incidents that went in their favour.

The attempt by Dolan to paint the refereeing performance as poor was embarassing also. The Sunday Game need to teach him the black card rule if he thought Young's was a black card!

The only controversial decision actually went in their favour with the penalty which was soft and borderline outside the box. No problem with it being given but don't bitch about the referee after getting a call like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    The attempt by Dolan to paint the refereeing performance as poor was embarassing also. The Sunday Game need to teach him the black card rule if he thought Young's was a black card!

He didn't, he said it was a correct yellow card for a jersey pull. He just made it sound like it should be a black card because it was cynical.

However he's called back cards incorrectly before.

He said O'Donoghues was a yellow but didn't he say that Young's was a 'Clear Black Card'?

This was to fit the narrative from McStay that the referee had "Walked away from loads of black cards- funked them".

McStay was right to defend himself after Sheerin's comments but his behaviour and his berating of the officials today was a disgrace.

2 minutes before half time at the referee and 2 minutes after half time to David Gough on the line. His comments afterwards on the refereeing were pretty petty as well. RTE tried to find footage to back it up and the only clip of the 6 shown that was an incorrect decision was the first one- and Roscommon retained posession anyway and played on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    He said O'Donoghues was a yellow but didn't he say that Young's was a 'Clear Black Card'?

I think so, he said it was a clear drag down , but he was very close to calling the jersey pull a black too.

Dolan is there to add a voice to the underdog I think. There was always someone like that on the panel, it was McStays job before that

Sorry to be continually harp on about Dessie Dolan and the black card issue, but I watched it back this morning. Not only does he call Killian Young, Cillian O'Connor, he says that it was a deliberate pull down and a black card.

What actually happened was it was a jersey pull and a dramatic fall from the Roscommon defender. The referee acknowledges this and just gives a free. Killian was raging with the Roscommon lad throwing himself down (clear jersey pull so he has no case) and this is compiunded when the Roscommon played jumps up and shoves him. Killian shoves him back and the RTE clip jumps to the yellow card.

However at the game the Roscommon player shouted something else at Killian and then turned his back and Killian barged through the back of him, with the Roscommon player once again theatrically falling to ground. That is why he got a yellow card, not for the jersey pull, which wasn't the first cousin of a black card.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

One of my major gripes about RTE analysis last year was Dessie and his black card talk.

He does not seem to, nor want to, understand the rules surrounding the use of them and has more than once reckoned they should be got rid of, without offering anything as an alternative.

So you're dead right to harp on about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Ah lads- Dessie hasnt a clue! I thought we all knew that

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Serious competition for the 21 panel when you think of the players coming through - half expected Michael Foley & Liam Carey to be on the panel, assuming they were part of the panel of 28 whittled down

Ah lads i'm very far behind!

I never realised Kevin McCarthy is Mike McCarthy's younger brother! No wonder he looks so at ease out there! It's in the blood!

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Ah lads i'm very far behind!

I never realised Kevin McCarthy is Mike McCarthy's younger brother! No wonder he looks so at ease out there! It's in the blood!

never heard of him much until last few weeks. do people rate him and has he any previous experience with minors, 21s, juniors???

never heard of him much until last few weeks. do people rate him and has he any previous experience with minors, 21s, juniors???

He was minor in 2011 and 2012 I think but I can't recall any great impact to be honest.

We have a good few players from that 2012 team.

Jack Barry, Jack Savage, Kevin McCarthy, Denis Daly, Cathal Ó Luing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

He was minor in 2011 and 2012 I think but I can't recall any great impact to be honest.

We have a good few players from that 2012 team.

Jack Barry, Jack Savage, Kevin McCarthy, Denis Daly, Cathal Ó Luing.

Kevin McCarthy was corner forward in 2011 minors, they were 10 pts up and lost to Tipp who went on to win the All Ireland. He never played u21 but that doesn't necessarily mean much as Darragh's panels were all over the shop.

He's been thrown in out of nowhere and while hasn't done too bad, I'd be very doubtful he's going to feature in the championship. If he proves me wrong, fair play to him. I just wish we gave as much chance to explosively fit guys like Denis Daly who has got no chance really.

Be interesting to see how 21s go tonight and beyond. Wouldn't agree with all the calls on selection but let's see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Kevin McCarthy was corner forward in 2011 minors, they were 10 pts up and lost to Tipp who went on to win the All Ireland. He never played u21 but that doesn't necessarily mean much as Darragh's panels were all over the shop.

He's been thrown in out of nowhere and while hasn't done too bad, I'd be very doubtful he's going to feature in the championship. If he proves me wrong, fair play to him. I just wish we gave as much chance to explosively fit guys like Denis Daly who has got no chance really.

Be interesting to see how 21s go tonight and beyond. Wouldn't agree with all the calls on selection but let's see how it goes.

He has been on the training panel since early/mid last year I believe. Thought he was excellent and lasted the pace right through to the finish last weekend and was one of our better performers on the day.

U21 game has just thrown in.

Live on Radio Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

U21 game has just thrown in.

Live on Radio Kerry.

Pity these games arent streamed live like they did for the club games and the schools final a few weeks ago

Kerry winning, but defensively sounds really shaky.

1-15 to 2-7

Full time 1-17 to 2-8

Not all that impressive from what looked like a very strong side.

• Advertisement

Full time 1-17 to 2-8

Not all that impressive from what looked like a very strong side.

Clare are a much better side than people give credit for. a 6 point win, is a good start. huge step up needed to beat Cork, but its a work in progress.

I heard Jack O Connor yesterday on Radio Kerry saying the last few months was very hard trying to get the panel together for training,between fellas in action in the Sigerson and others doing exams it was only last week that they all got back together again for training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Thoughts on next weekend? Personally finding it very hard to be in anyway confident of a Kerry win after watching both teams live last weekend.

Same As wrote: »
    Thoughts on next weekend? Personally finding it very hard to be in anyway confident of a Kerry win after watching both teams live last weekend.

i think Dublin equal our unbeaten record if they avoid defeat, so i think its written in the stars that we beat them.

we are due a big game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Same As wrote: »

It's hard to see anything other than a Dublin win. We'll probably stay with them for most of the match as usual, before their superior fitness and bench start to tell.

I wouldn't rule out a Kerry win, but it's unlikely. We'll be a lot more ready for them if we meet in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

mickeyk wrote: »
    It's hard to see anything other than a Dublin win. We'll probably stay with them for most of the match as usual, before their superior fitness and bench start to tell.

I wouldn't rule out a Kerry win, but it's unlikely. We'll be a lot more ready for them if we meet in the summer.

been listening to that for the last 5 summers :D

JACK O’Connor has decided to stick with the same 15 who started against Clare for their U21 Munster Championship Semi Final this week.

The Kerry Under 21s play Waterford at Fraher Field Dungarvan on Wednesday evening at 7:30pm. The team, captained by Brian Sugrue of Renard is as follows:

1. Shane Ryan – Rathmore

2. Tom (Leo) O’Sullivan – Dingle

3. Jason Foley – Ballydonoghue

4. Tom O’Sullivan – Dingle

5. Brian Sugrue (C) – Renard

6. Andrew Barry – Na Gaeil

7. Daniel O’Brien – Glenflesk

8. Barry O’Sullivan – Dingle

9. Brian Ó Seanacháin – Ballydonoghue

10. Brandon Barrett – Ardfert

11. Sean O’Shea – Kenmare

12. Matthew Flaherty – Dingle

13. Conor Geaney – Dingle

14. Matthew O’Sullivan – St Michaels-Foilmore

15. Cathal Bambury – Dingle

Fir Ionaid:

16. Eoghan O’Brien – Churchill

17. Killian Spillane – Templenoe

18. Cormac Coffey – Kerins O’Rahillys

19. Ivan Parker – Churchill

20. Jack Morgan – Austin Stacks

21. Roibeard Ó Sé – An Ghaeltacht

22. Lee O’Donoghue – Glenflesk

23. John Mark Foley – Kilgarvan

24. Graham O’Sullivan – Dromid Pearses

http://traleetoday.ie/kerry-u21-team-face-waterford-named/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

No changes after last week? Seems too conservative again by Jack. Should be a relatively easy win so maybe bench will get run early. Will need to suss out options ahead of Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

JACK O’Connor has decided to stick with the same 15 who started against Clare for their U21 Munster Championship Semi Final this week.

The Kerry Under 21s play Waterford at Fraher Field Dungarvan on Wednesday evening at 7:30pm. The team, captained by Brian Sugrue of Renard is as follows:

1. Shane Ryan – Rathmore

2. Tom (Leo) O’Sullivan – Dingle

3. Jason Foley – Ballydonoghue

4. Tom O’Sullivan – Dingle

5. Brian Sugrue (C) – Renard

6. Andrew Barry – Na Gaeil

7. Daniel O’Brien – Glenflesk

8. Barry O’Sullivan – Dingle

9. Brian Ó Seanacháin – Ballydonoghue

10. Brandon Barrett – Ardfert

11. Sean O’Shea – Kenmare

12. Matthew Flaherty – Dingle

13. Conor Geaney – Dingle

14. Matthew O’Sullivan – St Michaels-Foilmore

15. Cathal Bambury – Dingle

Fir Ionaid:

16. Eoghan O’Brien – Churchill

17. Killian Spillane – Templenoe

18. Cormac Coffey – Kerins O’Rahillys

19. Ivan Parker – Churchill

20. Jack Morgan – Austin Stacks

21. Roibeard Ó Sé – An Ghaeltacht

22. Lee O’Donoghue – Glenflesk

23. John Mark Foley – Kilgarvan

24. Graham O’Sullivan – Dromid Pearses

http://traleetoday.ie/kerry-u21-team-face-waterford-named/

Seems strange that he's gone with the same 15. Would have thought there would have been a change in the half back line at least after last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Hi folks, any advice re: parking on Saturday evening? The closer and cheaper the better!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement