Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Hi folks, any advice re: parking on Saturday evening? The closer and cheaper the better!

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/10020755/Parking_Match_arrangements_for_Kerry_vs_Dublin

Probably down by the Rose Hotel is your best bet. Less than 10 minute walk. They do good food there so you could have something after the match to let the crowd head away. Would advise being very early. The stand was full for the Mayo game by 6pm so will probably need to be there for 5.30 to get a seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

There will be free parking in Boherbee (approx 250m from the ground) but you'll have to get there quite early before it's all snapped up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

If anyone knows of a spare ticket or 2, I'd take it off their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Delighted for Crokes. A terrible game in a cold and wet Croke Park but a win is a win.

Delighted as well for Kerryman Darragh O'Connell. An All Ireland Hurling medal in his pocket now and a man of the match performance. Gaeilge iontach ag an deireadh chomh maith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Thrilled for Gooch. He's one of the all time greats but has had a lot of bad luck in recent years so this victory balances the scales a little. Hope he doesn't retire yet and that we can enjoy seeing more of him in the green n gold.

• Advertisement

Facinating team named for Dublin. I'll let someone else post it because when I copy on the mobile it's formatting is all over the place.

James injured which is a huge blow.

Back to the sweeper system.

Barry holds his place at midfield over Maher.

Shanahan retains his place.

We essentially have 4 hard working half forwards who can sweep back. Spillane, Walsh, Murphy and McCarthy. We won't lack for energy.

Savage and Geaney up front.

We can't complain about Fitzmaurice blooding young lads anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

JOD has really been blighted by injury since his POTY season.

Has hardly been able to get a consistent run going since then.

Regardless of the outcome tomorrow night I think Fitzmaurice has to show that he is capable of picking and managing a team that will compete with Dublin.

In every other game v Dublin Kerry have been second best by a long shot, their lead in 2016 was down to Cluxtons errors rather than anything Kerry came up with.

And even though they only lost by 3 in 2015, I recall Paul Brennan of The Kerryman call it the most convincing 3 point win he ever saw.

And in that same period of time Donegal have beaten Dublin and Mayo have drawn with them twice.

Kerry have to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

Who was the last team to beat Dublin?

Also Mayo haven't beaten them in 11 matches and got an unmerciful hiding 2 weeks ago so I don't think ye should be pontificating on how to beat them

Donegal caught them cold in 2014, they were hammered by them last year - even with 2 extra men never within an asses roar of winning

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

TrueGael wrote: »
    Who was the last team to beat Dublin?

Also Mayo haven't beaten them in 11 matches and got an unmerciful hiding 2 weeks ago so I don't think ye should be pontificating on how to beat them

Donegal caught them cold in 2014, they were hammered by them last year - even with 2 extra men never within an asses roar of winning

And people try to convince us that Mayo v Dublin is now a rivalry :o

The rivalry is tomorrow lads. The Kingdom vs the Capital. Now and forever after. Amen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Lovely touch by Buckley

mCfbX63.jpg

• Advertisement

In every other game v Dublin Kerry have been second best by a long shot, their lead in 2016 was down to Cluxtons errors rather than anything Kerry came up with.

In the last 4 games we've taken 2 big beatings and 2 narrow ones.

3 points - 2015 AIF - We lost by 3 points, were denied a clear penalty and Killian Young fumbled a ball 1 on 1 with Cluxton. We were well in that game, regardless of what Paul Brennan said.

6 Points- 2016 League. A hammering. Lost by 6 could have been 36. Dublin beat us up and down the field like the Mayo game 2 weeks ago.

11 points - 2016 League Final. A game we were well in until Aidan O'Mahoney lost the head. Dublin destroyed us in yhe end but we played well enough in the first half when we employed a sweeper. Fitzmaurice switched in the second half leaving the likes of O'Mahoney 1 on 1 with Flynn and Marc on Brogan with no protection for their lack of speed. But the final score doesn't lie. It was a hammering.

2 points - AISF 2016. What might have been. Got a hell of a lot right on the day, but didn't deliver enough on the scoreboard in key moments. Little momentum swings after half time that should have gone in our favour went against us. Dublin are too good a side not to capitalise on it and won. But we were right in that game until the finish. If the referee gives the Crowley free Sheehan has essentially a 45 to equalise. Instead Dublin went up the field and Connolly score while medics (rightly) held a concussed Peter Crowley back from chasing back. Little things that happen for two sides during a match, Dublin capitalised on their opportunities while we didn't. But we certainly were good enough to win.

So 2 league games saw us well beaten while 2 championship games saw us come up just short. And in the 2013 Championship encounter a late goal from McManamon sealed the deal after an epic battle where Kerry were certainly in the game.

Dublin are the only side to have beaten us in the championship since 2013 and went on to win the All Ireland in those years.

Dublin will most likely beat us tonight. I'm not too worried about that. They will deservedly get a record for the best league+championship team of all time. Still a long way to go to beat the 4 in a row teams of Wexford and Kerry now, but with the talent and structures that they have in place that too is an achievable goal.

What tonight is about is seeing if our young lads and our defensive system can click in the first 20 minutes of the match. Can we keep our full forward line from being isloated. Can we shut down Fenton and McAuley. We should be able to tell who is ready for championship and who isn't in that time.

It would be fantastic to beat the Dubs. It would be brilliant to stop the record run and maybe put a bit of doubt in their minds. But at the end of the day we are in the middle of March- so why blow our load and show off our Championship plan and give Dublin 6 months to plan for a potential All Ireland Final clash? Because if we are lucky enough to get there and they beat us to win 3 in a row, because we exposed everything on a cold, wet and windy night in Tralee, will anyone be overjoyed with our League win? Will anyone remember it watching Cluxton lift Sam Maguire for the 3rd time in a row?

Will they ****!

Sam Maguire is all that matters at the end of the day. Not records or All Stars or Munster Title or League Titles or record breaking runs. Try a few lads out if they are good enough and we win, brilliant. If they aren't and we lose. It's terrible at the time, but you now know who is at Championship level and who isn't and you never make a "Jack Sherwood" error again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

JOD has really been blighted by injury since his POTY season.

Has hardly been able to get a consistent run going since then.

Regardless of the outcome tomorrow night I think Fitzmaurice has to show that he is capable of picking and managing a team that will compete with Dublin.

And even though they only lost by 3 in 2015, I recall Paul Brennan of The Kerryman call it the most convincing 3 point win he ever saw.

And in that same period of time Donegal have beaten Dublin and Mayo have drawn with them twice.

Kerry have to do the same.

Result tonight is irrelevant. We need to get enough point to stay up end of story. Whether they come against Dublin or Cavan or Tyrone I personally don't care.

Kerry were a kick of a ball away in all those games youve listed above. They fell short mainly because Dublin have better players than Kerry at the moment and a far better bench. This is probably the weakest Kerry panel since the early 90s. The lack of credible opposition generally is making this Dublin team look far better than they are.

The momentum is slowly shifting though and within 2-3 years I can see us being right back up there. Delighted to see all these young lads coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

i think Dublin equal our unbeaten record if they avoid defeat, so i think its written in the stars that we beat them.

That was some team alright was reading about them. I wonder if there were many games back then, would it be a reasonable comparason, is it over time or games ? You'd wonder what the impact of the back door system would have on the result, or how much other competitions that were around then that balanced that out like possibly the railway cup.
    That kerry team completed 4 in a row too right ? and 4 leagues in a row.

I didn't go to tonight's game because I couldn't face another beating by Dublin.So hearing that it ended in a draw is not such bad news. However they're going mad over on Kerry GAA more or less saying we threw it away. That true?

No. Neither team liked being run at and fouled giving away easy frees

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

acequion wrote: »
    I didn't go to tonight's game because I couldn't face another beating by Dublin.So hearing that it ended in a draw is not such bad news. However they're going mad over on Kerry GAA more or less saying we threw it away. That true?

On a simple level that could be argued based on Paul Murphy kicking a free sratight to a Dublin player that setup their equalizer, but Dublin emptied their bench early in the second half and went on a tare, but credit to Kerry they fought back and went ahead.

So no they did not throw it away, they got stuck in and stuck at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Stoner wrote: »
    That was some team alright was reading about them. I wonder if there were many games back then, would it be a reasonable comparason, is it over time or games ? You'd wonder what the impact of the back door system would have on the result, or how much other competitions that were around then that balanced that out like possibly the railway cup.
    That kerry team completed 4 in a row too right ? and 4 leagues in a row.

One of Kerry wins was a walkover against Wexford so Dublin have the record in real terms already, and will officially next weekend unless Roscommon beat them.

Now, stranger things have happened :)

Anyway you only had to look at the body language of the respective sides tonight to know who still has the whip hand ;)

On a simple level that could be argued based on Paul Murphy kicking a free sratight to a Dublin player that setup their equalizer, but Dublin emptied their bench early in the second half and went on a tare, but credit to Kerry they fought back and went ahead.

So no they did not throw it away, they got stuck in and stuck at it.

Very pleased to hear that. If someone told us yesterday that it would be a draw we'd have been delighted. Dublin are the best team in the land by a country mile and we're in transition, so to me it sounds like almost beating them and ending up drawing with them is a positive sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I felt Kerry were over physical. They have some very natural ball players and while they have to "compete" it looked like they were out to get at their opponents. They didnt like it when they got it back.

Think though Kerry are in a better place now than 12 months ago.

LeoB wrote: »
    I felt Kerry were over physical. They have some very natural ball players and while they have to "compete" it looked like they were out to get at their opponents. They didnt like it when they got it back.

Think though Kerry are in a better place now than 12 months ago.

They never did.

Days when people roll over for them long gone.

Wake up and smell the coffee boys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Kerry by far the better team and literally kicked that away with stupid pot shots from distance with better options available and pauls brainfart in extra time.

Will stand to the young players come championship but suits us. Dublin are over hyped.

Teams that win 4 out of 6 All Irelands and 4 leagues in a row. Definitely over hyped.

Oh, I do hope we meet again!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Teams that win 4 out of 6 All Irelands and 4 leagues in a row. Definitely over hyped.

Oh, I do hope we meet again!

I never get the fascination of Dublin supporters coming over to the Kerry thread to comment.

Three draws in the league and parading like its one of the great teams. Dublin are overhyped.

Its the fkn internet! Kerry people comment on Dublin page. Dublin and Kerry were playing one another tonight. Hardly a mystery.

As for being over hyped, well so were Dwyer's team obviously.

"Three draws in the league.." you are a gas man!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

acequion wrote: »
    Very pleased to hear that. If someone told us yesterday that it would be a draw we'd have been delighted. Dublin are the best team in the land by a country mile and we're in transition, so to me it sounds like almost beating them and ending up drawing with them is a positive sign of things to come.

Dunno if you noticed, but that Dublin team is in transition too. Looks like Gavin has the Codyesque knack of maintaining standards while he transitions teams.

Serious chip on your shoulder there Bonnie. Not only to come in here and post but to post such sarcastic bile. And to say Kerry beat up probably the dirtiest Dublin team of all time. My heart bleeds for ye poor victims.

Sure Longford beat ye last year.

I really enjoy the Dublin hype. It will be all the sweeter when Dublin lose in the Championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Bambi wrote: »
    Dunno if you noticed, but that Dublin team is in transition too. Looks like Gavin has the Codyesque knack of maintaining standards while he transitions teams.

Kilkenny lost the All Ireland final by nine points last year having lost the league semi final by the same margin. They are currently possible candidates for a relegation play-off in the league having won one league match from four. I would think that for Kerry people the more "Codyesque" Gavin's transitioning of the Dublin team becomes the better. They would love Dublin to "maintain standards" in that manner.

Sick.

We ****ing had them.

Great to see Shanahan, Barry, Savage, McCarthy and Spillane all putting in a massive shift for us. The amount of running from the half forwards was unreal. Murphy did so much right but cost us the game in the end.

Darren and O'Brien were introduced at the perfect time and really ran at Cian O'Sullivan utting him in all sorts of trouble.

Piss poor shooting into the wind cost us as well. David Moran had an excellent game, but had one stupid shot to nothing. Barry John won a free and kicked a point but had a shot to nothing blocked, one wide (which was a good effort but the wind didn't bring in as expected) and a woeful shot at the end which Geaney almost made something of. Jonathan Lyne impressed at his more natural position of wing back, but Flynn gave him a tough time in the air. He has some engine though and ran his heart out.

Geaney's goal chance was a killer. Great save from Cluxton, but Geaney usually slips them low into the bottom corner. No idea why he blasted it!

Mindless fouling inside the 45 killed us. Rock scored something like 9 of the 13 points from frees! The last two were extremely soft, but a lot of the Dubs were moaning about the referee as well so presumably those decisions went both ways. We really need to bring a good tackling coach in, because that's whats killing us. It's not even the defenders most of the time. It's Spillane with a lazy late hit, O'Brien with a stupid foul, Maher with a hand in, Donnacha with a high tackle. Or forwards are doing so much running, that when it comes to the basics of defending at times they are so tired they make lazy tackles. That needs to stop.

I was glad none of the young lads shied away from it. Fenton and McCauley went at Jack Barry a bit, and Barry gave as good as he got. McCarthy and Savage showed really well for the ball. Shanahan didnt give Bernard Brogan a sniff when he came on and had two massive interceptions late on.

Dublin emptied their bench of stars, O'Sullivan, Flynn, McManamon, Mannion, Brogan .... and O'Gara came on as well. In fact O'Gara had more impact than most, kicking a point and fouling Crowley leading to Murphy's ****up! Morley switched onto McManamon and shut him down really well. The referee missed McManamon's body check on the defending player to lead to space for O'Gara's point. O'Sullivan spent a lot of the time chasing after Darren and O'Brien who just ran at him. Made him look a little vulnerable.

Anyway loads and loads of positives... but the one thing that hangs over us once again. We couldn't beat them. Even when we dominated them physically and at many stages for speed. Even being 2 points up after 70 minutes with a big wind behind us. We couldn't ****ing do it. When we come to meet them again, be it this year or in the coming years in Croke Park in the championship, we still have that mental thing in the back of our heads - can we really beat them or will they catch us again. That's what really kills me.

I feel like we lost that game. Hopefully the players and management feel likewise. But I'd have no fear in an All Ireland Final with 20 minutes to go bringing on Savage, Barry, McCarthy, Spillane, Lyne or Shanahan if a job is needed to be done. That's a marked improvement from last year. This was a great game to blood those lads in a championship like atmosphere against the top team in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I was merely responding in kind to your ridiculous assertion that a team that has achieved what this Dublin team has is "hyped."

It is as ridiculous as claiming that the great Kerry teams were hyped. Or that Kilkenny were hyped.

All teams employ the dark arts. Dublin and Kerry are no different to anyone else.

Anyway, was only having a bit of post match ball hopping so don't take it too seriously. You won't hear from me again until August or September :)

You're correct that calling Dublin "hyped" is ridiculous..only a very good team wins back to back titles, let alone 4 in 6 years.

However, you've come on here and made a half dozen posts since last night and most of what you've said has been inane ranting (IMO) so, you know, maybe relax yourself a bit. It's a league game before Easter..I've rarely seen a game before Easter that mattered a whole pile. Dublin will definitely be at a higher level come Autumn..Kerry, not so sure.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote:
    I was glad none of the young lads shied away from it. Fenton and McCauley went at Jack Barry a bit, and Barry gave as good as he got. McCarthy and Savage showed really well for the ball. Shanahan didnt give Bernard Brogan a sniff when he came on and had two massive interceptions late on.

It was Jack Barry, who had a good game that went at Fenton. MDMA hammered into him alright but he started it 100 percent, that's not Fenton's game.

Barry got the better of Fenton overall. Dublin's best midfielder was Kilkenny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement