Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Kilkenny lost the All Ireland final by nine points last year having lost the league semi final by the same margin. They are currently possible candidates for a relegation play-off in the league having won one league match from four.

You missed the previous decade :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Bambi wrote: »
    You missed the previous decade :P

No I didn't. Far from it. I just didn't consider Kilkenny to be "in transition" for that long since there was such huge overlap between their teams in that decade and the weren't dealing with wholesale retirements. Consequently I assumed the reference was more current.

But if that's what can be achieved in transition then Dublin footballers too have a fairly bright future. Maybe they will do the five in a row unlike Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Stoner wrote: »
    It was Jack Barry, who had a good game that went at Fenton. MDMA hammered into him alright but he started it 100 percent, that's not Fenton's game.

Barry got the better of Fenton overall. Dublin's best midfielder was Kilkenny.
    It mightn't be his game normally, but he was just as much as fault as Barry. Jack is a clubmate of mine, so I know he's prone to giving it out as well, no angel. But himself and Fenton know each other well from UCD, so whatever sparked it between them there were two of them in it. Perhaps it was frustration at times. Fenton is used to dominating games. He's looked effortlessly brilliant in nearly all his games for Dublin, but found it tough to get into the game last night.

Don't forget Fenton was getting into it during the Mayo game as well. He was shoving away at Colm Boyle and giving plenty of lip. He's a lovely footballer, but I wouldn't put it past any footballer these days to go looking for trouble.

Not to focus too much on Fenton and Barry though they were all at it from Cluxton to Kealy!

My point was, that sometimes when a young lad is in that position they let the physical stuff distract them from the game. Either they are bullied and shy away, or they get so focused on getting their own hit in that the game passes them by. None of the Kerry lads let the game pass them by or allowed themselves to get bullied. Similarly with the Dublin lads, McHugh, Daly and Lowndes didn't let the physical stuff distract them either. Good to see the next level of players come through a battle like that. There will be plenty of other days for good football.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    Don't forget Fenton was getting into it during the Mayo game as well. He was shoving away at Colm Boyle and giving plenty of lip. He's a lovely footballer, but I wouldn't put it past any footballer these days to go looking for trouble.

You've just mentioned shoving Colm Boyle!!!! every Dublin player has a shove from him as he's usually the most fired up Mayo man without a doubt, not a good example really. I think it's his job on the Mayo team.

I was right beside Jack and watched him from the start. I conceded that MDMA was at it but 100 percent from the start Jack kicked it off with Fenton. Given the occasion, record, venue and recent events it's completely understandable that he was sent out to do it and imo watching it he was following a plan.

As I said Jack won the exchange between the two, just as Moran possibly shaded it between the two in the championship last year.

I'm all for pointing out players who get involved and calling out a fair view on who came out in top. Fenton has not come out well overall against Kerry. Its when Connelly and Flynn help out the midfield that has offered an edge, recently it's Kilkenny who turned over the last Kerry kickout on Saturday, only to deservedly get a second yellow.

Great emphasis on mobility in the Kerry warm up showed well in the game. Though D Walsh played well but I'd say the new lads will take over from Anthony Maher and Sheehan sooner rather than later .

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    You've just mentioned shoving Colm Boyle!!!! every Dublin player has a shove from him as he's usually the most fired up Mayo man without a doubt, not a good example really. I think it's his job on the Mayo team.

I was right beside Jack and watched him from the start. I conceded that MDMA was at it but 100 percent from the start Jack kicked it off with Fenton. Given the occasion, record, venue and recent events it's completely understandable that he was sent out to do it and imo watching it he was following a plan.

As I said Jack won the exchange between the two, just as Moran possibly shaded it between the two in the championship last year.

I'm all for pointing out players who get involved and calling out a fair view on who came out in top. Fenton has not come out well overall against Kerry. Its when Connelly and Flynn help out the midfield that has offered an edge, recently it's Kilkenny who turned over the last Kerry kickout on Saturday, only to deservedly get a second yellow.

Great emphasis on mobility in the Kerry warm up showed well in the game. Though D Walsh played well but I'd say the new lads will take over from Anthony Maher and Sheehan sooner rather than later .
    Fair enough point. I still think your view on "Saint Fento" (:D) might be slightly tinted, but i'll get over it.

Connolly will be a huge addition to the team in fairness, especially as that kickout option. Flynn showed how important it is to have a fielding option at Wing Forward, when you are being pressed on the kickouts. Kilkenny won some amount of breaking ball as well.

Has McManamon lost a yard of pace, or is it just early season rust? He got on a good bit of ball, but I felt Morley did very well on him and matched him physically and speed wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    Has McManamon lost a yard of pace, or is it just early season rust? He got on a good bit of ball, but I felt Morley did very well on him and matched him physically and speed wise.

Morley played well alright himself and Kilkenny had a good go at each other in the first half, he's a strong player.
    I'm not sure about the other lad, Dublin and Kerry seem to have the number of the bigger players these days , lots of homework done beforehand​. I won't be surprised if Kevin Mac , Gooch, Brogan or Star didn't have a big game in a Kerry / Dublin championship game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I never get the fascination of Dublin supporters coming over to the Kerry thread to comment.

Three draws in the league and parading like its one of the great teams. Dublin are overhyped.

4 league titles in the last 4 years, 4 out of the last 6 All Ireland titles, 4 seperate players winning the POTY in the last 6 years. Unbeaten in 34 games.

Overhyped ? Some people are just unimpressable. :)

Good game, very much back and forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

STB. wrote: »
    4 league titles in the last 4 years, 4 out of the last 6 All Ireland titles, 4 seperate players winning the POTY in the last 6 years. Unbeaten in 34 games.

Overhyped ? Some people are just unimpressable. :)

Good game, very much back and forth.

I find it mostly the Mayo & Kerry folks who have the sense of entitlement, Its forever how they lost the game never acknowledging the other team was/is just better on that day. For yer man here saying Dublin is over hyped shows how much of a balanced view they have on the game, not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I find it mostly the Mayo & Kerry folks who have the sense of entitlement, Its forever how they lost the game never acknowledging the other team was/is just better on that day. For yer man here saying Dublin is over hyped shows how much of a balanced view they have on the game, not.

So one poster's view here shows you the sense of entitlement of the population of two counties?

Solid argument.

• Advertisement

So one poster's view here shows you the sense of entitlement of the population of two counties?

Solid argument.

erm no, he is not the first or only one with them views, I will let you read the forum yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Nothing quite as interesting to read as amateur diagnoses of psychology by randomers on the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

erm no, he is not the first or only one with them views, I will let you read the forum yourself...

You said mostly kerry and mayo folks have this entitlement based on some posters from here.

Seems a stretch to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'm going to confine my comments to Kerry and simply ignore Dublin fans with chips on their shoulders coming in here to comment on their overhyped team.

By my count Longford beat them last year so the record still stands in favour of Kerry as far as I am concerned.

I'm going to confine my comments to Kerry and simply ignore Dublin fans with chips on their shoulders coming in here to comment on their overhyped team.

By my count Longford beat them last year so the record still stands in favour of Kerry as far as I am concerned.

A fallacy is an incorrect argument in logic and rhetoric which undermines an argument's logical validity or more generally an argument's logical soundness. Fallacies are either formal fallacies or informal fallacies.

From your own signature , Good luck. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

A fallacy is an incorrect argument in logic and rhetoric which undermines an argument's logical validity or more generally an argument's logical soundness. Fallacies are either formal fallacies or informal fallacies.

From your own signature , Good luck. :D:D:D

Moving swiftly onwards...

Any update on Young & Enright injuries from Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Can't make my mind up lads, should I start with Freud or Nietzsche? All recommendations welcomed

Also, how was the atmosphere in Tralee under lights out of interest?

Had anyone else never heard of that record until a few weeks ago or is it just me?

Honestly Kerry fans trying to drag O'Byrne Cup and % winrates in to try and retain this 90 year old stat many (most? all?) of us had no idea existed for most of our lives is pretty pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

keane2097 wrote: »
    Had anyone else never heard of that record until a few weeks ago or is it just me?

Honestly Kerry fans trying to drag O'Byrne Cup and % winrates in to try and retain this 90 year old stat many (most? all?) of us had no idea existed for most of our lives is pretty pathetic.

I couldn't agree more. The only stat that I give a toss about is where Sam Maguire heads for in September and I'm sure most Dublin fans are the same. Do have a certain pride in us being top of the Roll of Honour though.

I think Kerry could be a bit slack in Cavan next Sunday and the injuries to Enright and Young leave us short at the back.

The biggest game on the horizon though for Kerry football is the u21 game in Cork Wednesday week. Crucial that game is won.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Aye from my Dublin perspective the only real stat that matters is 37-26 and closing :D. In saying that to go unbeaten for 30 odd games no matter the era is a hell of an achievement

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Aye from my Dublin perspective the only real stat that matters is 37-26 and closing :D. In saying that to go unbeaten for 30 odd games no matter the era is a hell of an achievement

A fantastic achievement, surely we can all just acknowledge that and give a great team its due.

For the record just watched it there and while Paul Murphy is getting a lot of praise I thought he was pretty wasteful in the first half - turned over two or three times, missed two great chances badly. I'm nearly sold on him as CHF again though because his work up and down the pitch is class. Can't miss these chances consistently as he does but it might get better.

I thought McCarthy was nearly very good but a few little errors particularly in the second half mark him down a bit. Can't agree with the praise for Spillane who seemed to cough up a lot of possession and didn't have any real positive impact. I admire his willingness to put himself about in this early stage of his career though.

Morley could end up being an animal, more and more impressed every time I see him.

Flynn kind of turned it when he came on and we didn't get to grips with him for ten minutes where the damage was done. Having said that they got some fairly soft frees and we were extremely wasteful.

I think it was a fairly positive day's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EireGrif

Was reading Kerry's eye, about county league division 1 teams profile. One topic that puzzled me because of Dr Crokes. It says "player in" David Shaw. I thought his club is Fossa. I thought local transfer is out of question.

EireGrif wrote: »
    Was reading Kerry's eye, about county league division 1 teams profile. One topic that puzzled me because of Dr Crokes. It says "player in" David Shaw. I thought his club is Fossa. I thought local transfer is out of question.

No Shaw is a Crokes man,David Clifford's club is Fossa

David Shaw and David Clifford are two different players.

A lot of people mixing them up recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

EireGrif wrote: »

Used "player in" to mean he is eligible to play with the seniors now. He's been playing underage with them for years.

Footage of Shaw and interview with him at the link below. He's a first cousin of the Mayo O'Se's (you can see the similarity below)

Fair bit of talk that he will most likely be off to Aussie Rules in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EireGrif

No Shaw is a Crokes man,David Clifford's club is Fossa

My bad. I actually thought it was him Clifford! Thanks for clear up.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0322/861728-colm-coopers-the-greatest-ive-seen/

Pretty high compliment from someone who has played with and against.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0322/861728-colm-coopers-the-greatest-ive-seen/

Pretty high compliment from someone who has played with and against.

• Advertisement

Good episode of Laochra Gael tonight about Dara O'Cinneide,

He was a natural footballer, a serious free taker and had a great football brain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement