Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Good episode of Laochra Gael tonight about Dara O'Cinneide,

He was a natural footballer, a serious free taker and had a great football brain.

Very good footballer, burned out by being overplayed at a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Always felt that as well. He was a mainstay from quite a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Played alongside him in college. Remarkable talent - best fielder of a ball that I had ever seen at that time, considering that he does not have a height advantage. Carried us in match after match. That dominance didn't quite translate to senior football level with Kerry. But I guess it seldom does. Still had a great career. Agreed about the burnout.

Haven't seen him in person for 20 years, but was a gentleman and very down to earth back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 OWinter

Great to see Gooch get what he has deserved with Dr. Crokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

The team captained by Fionn Fitzgerald is as follows:

Ciarraí

1. Brendan Kealy
    Kilcummin
    2. Fionn Fitzgerald
    Dr Crokes
    3. Mark Griffin
    St Michaels-Foilmore
    4. Ronan Shanahan
    Austin Stacks
    5. Peter Crowley
    Laune Rangers
    6. Tadhg Morley
    Templenoe
    7. Paul Murphy
    Rathmore
    8. David Moran
    Kerins O’Rahillys
    9. Jack Barry
    Na Gaeil
    10. Adrian Spillane
    Templenoe
    11. Kevin McCarthy
    Kilcummin
    12. Donnchadh Walsh
    Cromane
    13. Jack Savage
    Kerins O’Rahillys
    14. Paul Geaney
    Dingle
    15. Stephen O’Brien
    Kenmare

Fir Ionaid:

16. Brian Kelly
    Killarney Legion
    17. Barry John Keane
    Kerins O’Rahillys
    18. Jonathan Lyne
    Killarney Legion
    19. Darran O’Sullivan
    Glenbeigh-Glencar
    20. Anthony Maher
    Duagh
    21. Michael Geaney
    Dingle
    22. Bryan Sheehan
    St Marys
    23. Cathal Ó Lúing
    An Ghaeltacht
    24. Denis Daly
    St Marys
    25. Gavin Crowley
    Templenoe
    26. Conor Keane
    Killarney Legion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kerry Senior Hurling Team V Offaly – Allianz Hurling League Division 1B

Austin Stack Park Sunday Mar 26th 2017

The Kerry Senior Hurling Team to play Offaly in Round 5 of the Allianz Hurling League on Sunday next in Austin Stack Park at 3 pm shows 1 change in personnel from the side defeated by Galway in Round 4.

Tom Murnane takes over at full back in place of the injured Rory Horgan

The team captained by Daniel Collins of Kilmoyley is as follows:

1. Martin Stackpoole
    Lixnaw
    2. James O’Connor
    Abbeydorney
    3. Tom Murnane
    Kilmoyley
    4. Sean Weir
    Crotta O’Neills
    5. Daniel Collins (Captain)
    Kilmoyley
    6. Bryan Murphy
    Causeway
    7. Darren Dineen
    St Brendans
    8 Paudie O’Connor
    Kilmoyley
    9 Jack Goulding
    Ballyduff
    10 Shane Nolan
    Crotta O’Neills
    11 Patrick Kelly
    Clarecastle
    12 Colum Harty
    Causeway
    13 Jordan Conway
    Crotta O’Neills
    14 Padraig Boyle
    Ballyduff
    15 John Buckley
    Lixnaw

Fir Ionaid:

16 Aiden McCabe
    Kilmoyley
    17 Keith Carmody
    Causeway
    18 James Godley
    Kilmoyley
    19 Tommy Casey
    Causeway
    20 Tomás O’Connor
    Crotta O’Neills
    21 Philp Lucid
    Ballyheigue
    22 Brendan O’Leary
    Abbeydorney
    23 Michael O’Leary
    Abbeydorney
    24 Mikey Boyle
    Ballyduff
    25 Jason Wallace
    Lixnaw
    26 Maurice O’Connor
    Kilmoyley
    27 Daniel O’Carroll
    Ballyduff
    28 Fionán Horgan
    Ardfert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Bad bad bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Same As wrote: »
    Bad bad bad.

Very flat. Cavan well organised and were probably the better side.

Black cards correct calls. Stupid from Mccarthy.

Tough free from Geany to win it drifting wide. No left legged kicker costing us.

Some really poor performances. Moran and Murphy were very good.

Survival all but ensured. A big win for Cavan combined with a big loss from Kerry against Tyrone would see us down. 20+ points difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Offaly four up in the hurling, with six minutes left, so Laois in the playoff again, it seems.

Mayo beat Tyrone, so move ahead of us on H2H. As you say, though, our points difference is 26 better than Cavan's.

• Advertisement

Late goal for hurlers, but beaten 1-21 to 2-16.

Funny that we could go down, but with a very possible set of results we could make the league final.

Mayo beat Donegal by 3.
    Dublin beat Monaghan by any amount, say 1 point.
    Kerry beat Tyrone by 4.

We'd make the final on 8 points on points difference.

Dublin - 11
    Kerry - 8 (+10)
    Donegal 8 (+9)
    Monaghan 8 (+5)
    Mayo 8 (-1)
    Tyrone 7
    Cavan 6
    Roscommon 0

Hard to see us winning at all to Tyrone based on today's match though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Avoid a thrashing against Tyrone and we are safe. I don't think Tyrone are capable of putting up a score that you would consider a thrashing... unless Cavan beat Roscommon by 26 points and we lose to Tyrone by 1 point, and Mayo pick up at least a point against Donegal... if Mayo don't pick up a point against Donegal then they would go down before we would as we are +11 on them...

in short, we will be safe. But disappointed.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Mayo beat Donegal by 3.

Interesting, but I think that requirement there could be the one to leave us short...

edit: Mayo could beat them by 1 and we have to beat Tyrone by 6.. I'd actually have more faith in that!

edit 2: Donegal are +6, if they get beaten by 1 point say then we actually only have to cover a 5 point margin right?

because the both Kerry and Donegal would be on 8 pts, +11 pts difference, w3 d2 l2 and it would come down to the head to head - which we won...?

mystic86 wrote: »
    Interesting, but I think that requirement there could be the one to leave us short...

edit: Mayo could beat them by 1 and we have to beat Tyrone by 6.. I'd actually have more faith in that!

Donegal apparently have an event booked in New York the weekend of the league final. Fundraising and a challenge match. Don't be surprised to see a valiant Donegal effort come up short.

Donegal are +6 on us, if they get beaten by 1 point say then we actually only have to cover a 5 point margin right?

because then both Kerry and Donegal would be on 8 pts, +11 pts difference, w3 d2 l2 and it would come down to the head to head - which we won...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Don't think anyone wants to play the league final against the dubs :)

mystic86 wrote: »
    Donegal are +6 on us, if they get beaten by 1 point say then we actually only have to cover a 5 point margin right?

because then both Kerry and Donegal would be on 8 pts, +11 pts difference, w3 d2 l2 and it would come down to the head to head - which we won...?

No head to head when multiple teams are on the same points. Which would have to happen if we are to make the league final, because Monaghan and Donegal are already on 8 and Mayo would be on 8 with a win.

Edit. Sorry misunderstood you. If we finished on the same scoring difference I'm not sure what the next tie breaker is. It could be head to head or most points scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Donegal apparently have an event booked in New York the weekend of the league final. Fundraising and a challenge match. Don't be surprised to see a valiant Donegal effort come up short.

Where did you see that?I saw a post on the Donegal thread querying same.

Another All-Ireland title for Aidan - to be fair, he was embarrassed about the public vote swinging it!

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Where did you see that?I saw a post on the Donegal thread querying same.

Misinformation it seems.

League Final is fixed for the 9th of April.

Donegal trip is for the following Friday.

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/32764-2/

Apologies I should have checked before posting TBH.

Kerry were really well set up defensively today, but once again undone by an individual error. Mark Griffin steamed out, missed the ball and let his man stroll in for goal.

Last week it was Murphys pass.
    Against Monaghan it was Crowley and Morley slipping in possession.

It's a lack of sharpness in the league which is costing us. Small things in tight games.

You'd hope we'd sharpen up come championship. If not we might not make it past a quarter final against an organised Ulster team like Cavan or Monaghan.

Having said all of that Cavan were the better team today in my opinion. They missed some easy shots in the first half which would have had them out of sight. Kerry improved in the second half but lacked pace and gave some awful passes in attacking situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Misinformation it seems.

League Final is fixed for the 9th of April.

Donegal trip is for the following Friday.

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/32764-2/

Apologies I should have checked before posting TBH.

Goodman thanks for correcting that.u,de had me up all nite concerning that donegal might throw the game again mayo next Sunday.up kerry for next weekend at least.regards acavanjack.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

THE Kerry side to play Cork in the Munster Under 21 Football Championship Final this Wednesday has been named.

There are four changes from the side that defeated Waterford in the last round. Brian Ó Beagaloich, Brandon Barrett and Matthew O’Sullivan return to the starting 15 as does Gavin White of Dr Crokes. They replace Jack Morgan, Cormac Coffey, Barry O’Sullivan and Lee O’Donoghue.

It contains eight of the side that started in last year’s final against the same opposition – Jason Foley, Tom O’Sullivan, Tom “Leo” O’Sullivan, Brian Ó Beaglaoich, Gavin White, Brian Ó Seanachain, Matthew Flaherty and Killian Spillane – while eight more of Wednesday’s side – Shane Ryan, Brian Sugrue, Andrew Barry and Matthew O’Sullivan – were on the injured list for last year’s decider.

The game takes place in Pairc Ui Rinn on Wednesday at 7.30pm. It will be streamed live on www.tg4.ie

The team, captained by Brian Sugrue of Renard is as follows:

1 Shane Ryan Rathmore

2 Tom (Leo) O’Sullivan Dingle

3 Jason Foley Ballydonoghue

4 Brian Sugrue (C) Renard

5 Brian Ó Beaglaoich An Ghaeltacht

6 Tom O’Sullivan Dingle

7 Gavin White Dr. Crokes

8 Andrew Barry Na Gaeil

9 Brian ÓSeanacháin Ballydonoghue

10 Brandon Barrett Ardfert

11 Sean O’Shea Kenmare

12 Matthew Flaherty Dingle

13 Killian Spillane Templenoe

14 Matthew O’Sullivan St Michaels-Foilmore

15 Cathal Bambury Dingle

Fir Ionaid:

16 Eoghan O’Brien Churchill

17 Barry O’Sullivan Dingle

18 Jack Morgan Austin Stacks

19 Conor Geaney Dingle

20 Cormac Coffey Kerins O’Rahillys

21 Daniel O’Brien Glenflesk

22 Jordan Kiely Dr Crokes

23 Micheál Burns Dr. Crokes

24 Roibeard Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht

25 Mark Ryan Rathmore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Fair few surprises in that team. Good that they weren't afraid to throw Gavin White straight in. If he brings his Crokes form into this he'll be an addition. Dunno what the story is with Barry Dan being dropped. Could be a dummy team or else it's a fairly ballsy move.

This is a big game but I'd be confident this squad can get the job done.

Fair few surprises in that team. Good that they weren't afraid to throw Gavin White straight in. If he brings his Crokes form into this he'll be an addition. Dunno what the story is with Barry Dan being dropped. Could be a dummy team or else it's a fairly ballsy move.

On form Andrew Barry and Brian O'Seannachain are better options at midfield.
    Barry has looked a bit jaded in games this year, he's had McGrath Cup, a Couple of League games, Sigerson Cup and the u21 games all packed in the last 3 months.
    Being able to release him off the bench could be key late in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

this is the most important game off Kerry gaa this spring so far. a win here, can be the starting point of our senior team for the next 4 or 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

On form Andrew Barry and Brian O'Seannachain are better options at midfield.
    Barry has looked a bit jaded in games this year, he's had McGrath Cup, a Couple of League games, Sigerson Cup and the u21 games all packed in the last 3 months.
    Being able to release him off the bench could be key late in the game.

I can't agree with you on that DDC. O'Seannacháin is a half forward and Andrew Barry is a natural 6, so this is a risky move IMO. Fair enough, maybe Barry has had a dip in form and they feel it's better to hold him, but I'd much prefer if you had a natural midfielder in there then.
    Maybe this is a dummy team, so who knows but having 3 wing forwards who like to drop deep (Seannacháin, Barrett and Flaherty) all starting looks unnecessarily defensive to me. At least there are plenty options on the bench.
    This is going to be another tight game I'd say.

• Advertisement

I can't agree with you on that DDC. O'Seannacháin is a half forward and Andrew Barry is a natural 6, so this is a risky move IMO. Fair enough, maybe Barry has had a dip in form and they feel it's better to hold him, but I'd much prefer if you had a natural midfielder in there then. Maybe this is a dummy team, so who knows but having 3 wing forwards who like to drop deep (Seannacháin, Barrett and Flaherty) all starting looks unnecessarily defensive to me. At least there are plenty options on the bench. This is going to be another tight game I'd say.

I agree that an out and out midfielder should be there. But I can see why the call has been made on form if Jack considers them all as Midfielders.

Andrew played a good bit of club football at Midfield. He's a head shorter then his brother Jack though and is definitely suited more to the CHB role IMO.

A definite Mark O'Connor shaped hole in the team though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement