Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Never thought these words would escape my lips, but Up the Kingdom!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Mikey Boyle gets a 74th-minute goal to force extra-time: Laois 1-23 4-14 Kerry

What was the red card for? Must have been a blatant punch/dangerous high tackle to get sent off after only 2 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Ompala wrote: »
    What was the red card for? Must have been a blatant punch/dangerous high tackle to get sent off after only 2 minutes

Wouldn't know, just following it through Kerry GAA Twitter a/c, who just gave bare details.

Four minutes left in ET, still level at 4-19 to 1-28!

We're relegated to 2A, on a final score of 1-30 to 4-20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Don't they have a playoff against division 2a winners,?

Don't they have a playoff against division 2a winners,?

No, that was abolished at Congress - Antrim automatically promoted.

We win by 7
    Dublin win by 3
    Mayo winning by 2 near the end, so we're minutes away from the Final!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

We win by 7
    Dublin win by 3
    Mayo winning by 2 near the end, so we're minutes away from the Final!

That's not the case.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    That's not the case.

If all four sides below Dublin are on 8, we qualify on points difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

If all four sides below Dublin are on 8, we qualify on points difference.

Mayo just won so Kerry Dublin final

Actually hands ups.. If more then two teams finish on same points it's points difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Actually hands ups.. If more then two teams finish on same points it's points difference.

So you're! incorrect :D:D

Erik Shin wrote: »
    So you're! incorrect :D:D

Correct! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Great first half from Kerry. Very scrappy second half. Delighted to make the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Dublin are on the ropes lads our day has come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

popa smurf wrote: »

Did you watch them today?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

6 down away to a Monaghan side playing well with 25 to go and the dubs win by 3......on the ropes must mean something else where you are from.

Glad the final has this pairing, should make for a very interesting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    6 down away to a Monaghan side playing well with 25 to go and the dubs win by 3......on the ropes must mean something else where you are from.

Hopefully it won't be as one-sided as last year's final.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Ya reminds of great Kerry team of the 80s living on there experience no doubt this was a good Dublin team won a few alirelands by a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Dublin were very good towards the end to pull it out of the fire once again. They never know when they are beaten but you'd wonder how long they can keep turning defeats into victory in that manner.

Looking forward to an unexpected trip to the big smoke whatever the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Good to get the win today, but Tyrone were sad bad for the majority of the game. The fact that they had Harte in the half-back line says a world - he's one of the few players in the team who is an effective shooter but they played him wing-back in the first half. No surprise that they looked more threatening when he was moved into the half-forward line in the second half. Mattie Donnelly looked a big loss around the centre of the field today. Worth remembering that this was Tyrone's fourth weekend in a row in action because of the postponed game v Cavan. Combine this with the fact that they were lining out with very strong lineups since back at the start of the McKenna Cup. They were 100% safe from relegation. There was definitely an air around of a team who didn't look massively interested in a league final.

I think there were a couple of performances driven by the fear of the U21s and lads afraid they might be making up the numbers in training come summer. If I had a euro for the the number of conversations I had between Wednesday and throw-in about the U21s and which of them will feature come summer I could probably retire.

Will be interesting to see if James O and Killian Young come back into reckoning for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Mickey Geaney was brilliant yesterday. I've criticized him often after games because he has shown flashes, but never puts a full performance together. Yesterday he had it all. A great goal, huge work effort, 3 other points and ran all day with Peter Harte once they switched him over.

I'll make the same point i've made all year. Our defensive system looks really good, but fouls and individual errors give up scores. First things first, 1-9 from frees and a penalty is shocking again. You do have to take into account that Duffy whistled for EVERYTHING! He gave us some rediculously soft frees as well. The two hop balls for the goalkeepers delaying kickouts were a joke. Kerry played Duffy much better in the first half, running into contact and going down. Tyrone picked this up quickly in the second and won their own frees.

Both goals came from lads not winning their battles in the air. Morley was beaten by Harte and a scuffed shot slipped over Kealy's head. Shanahan was beaten for the penalty and did the right thing really and fouled his man to prevent the goal. He deservedly got the black card, but you have to trust in Kealy to make the save from the penalty. As it happened, it was a brilliant penalty.

Our free stats at home have been rubbish.

9 points to Dublin
    9 to Mayo
    1-9 to Tyrone

We now have a great opportunity to see how we will approach a game against Dublin in the championship. I thought Maher did a great job today, but Jack Barry's pace might see him in on Sunday.

Eamonn might prefer Jack Savage's pace to BJK's in Croke Park. Though BJK's bravery shone through today, won some lovely ball out in front of his man.

Shanahan has been brilliant all league, but I saw a few little weaknesses yesterday that may see him drop below Fionn in the pecking order, with Killian and Shane to return.

JOD is also an option of fit. I'd like to see Johnny Buckley return to the panel. Doubtful that Gooch or Star will return at all so I don't see them making the Final panel.

I hope we give a good account of ourselves anyway. A lot of people focus on the final score in last years league game. We were hammered out the gate, but right up to O'Mahoney's sending off we were within touching distance. I think we are a 3 or 4 point better team this year. Now Dublin have brought through some great young players and will have an extra spark about them as well, so it's likely that they are a better side as well.

We need to target Fenton again and push right up on their kickouts. Everything else will be down to sharpness in front of goal, disciplined tackling, no mental errors and a ferocious workrate. Bring all of that and we have a chance of winning the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Early train Sunday morning sold out

Wonder will they put on another train for the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gary Gurny

I think we should play a dummy team. Let the under 21s tog out in preparation for their all ireland semi altogether, dont see the point in revealing our tactics this early in the year. Better off keeping your cards held firmly to your chest at this time of the year and peaking for the autumn IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its a pity the u-21s were given some more game time in the last 3 or 4 weeks, but understand why its not been possible.

any word on Colm Cooper?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gary Gurny

its a pity the u-21s were given some more game time in the last 3 or 4 weeks, but understand why its not been possible.

any word on Colm Cooper?

Think we should be looking at gooch playing the part of the impact sub this year and nothing more. Akin to peter canavan when tyrone first lifted sam i think we cant really rely on him to last the 70 mins anymore but its obvious that he can really effect a game in postive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Best of luck in everything you do Gooch. You owe us nothing. Thanks for all the magic!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement