Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

All great players go missing in the occassional game. Gooch might have under performed in a handful of games but was brilliant in the vast number he played in.

How many times does this have to be said: in so many of the games that Gooch is alleged to have been anonymous in, he was the top scorer for Kerry and more often than not the top scorer on the pitch.

Deividas, Nelu, Ruadhan, Luka and not a Paidi or PatJo in sight. Kerry football is on a slippery slope.
    Not forgetting Stefan Okunbor in last year's panel.

A rather odious pair of comments.

By the by, Ruadhan, is a an old Irish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Jippo wrote: »

In fairness- I think it was a, failed, attempt at tongue-in-cheek humour without a whole pile of malice attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Certainly not what I was suggesting as I'm more than aware of the origins of Ruadhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Not at all - presumed the comment was tongue-in-cheek and responded in kind - after all, the O'hAilpíns and Lee Chin are proof positive that the GAA has been more proactive in promoting integration than the rest of Irish society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Virtue signaling! It was a joke and a good one.

Virtue signaling! It was a joke and a good one.

I am a rarely-posting anonymous user - why would I "virtue signal"?

I honestly think those comments are in very bad taste. Casual racism is not OK.

Not at all - presumed the comment was tongue-in-cheek and responded in kind - after all, the O'hAilpíns and Lee Chin are proof positive that the GAA has been more proactive in promoting integration than the rest of Irish society.

Yeah sure Lee Chin wasn't on the Late Late describing all the abuse he gets on the pitch at all. That never happened.

In fairness- I think it was a, failed, attempt at tongue-in-cheek humour without a whole pile of malice attached.

Just because malice isn't intended it doesn't mean that such casual comments are OK.

Sure I could joke that some fellow is a **** **** ******* and sure I'm only joking it's GRAND.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

The key to the joke is that Ruadhan is an old Irish name. The humour lies in that fact.
    Not being racist shouldn't need to involve pretending that nothing is different. I'd be fairly sure those young lads know their heritage and are proud of bringing it to the sport.

• Advertisement

The key to the joke is that Ruadhan is an old Irish name. The humour lies in that fact.

Not being racist shouldn't need to involve pretending that nothing is different. I'd be fairly sure those young lads know their heritage and are proud of bringing it to the sport.

Sorry, I don't get it. Are you making a joke about people like:

C9Ix7e8WAAIvkyN.jpg:large

I agree. Perhaps I have overreacted? The comments just struck me as being in terrible bad taste and it is important to point out **** that isn't really acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Just because malice isn't intended it doesn't mean that such casual comments are OK.

Sure I could joke that some fellow is a **** **** ******* and sure I'm only joking it's GRAND.

But the very point is that neither of us were being racist, we were saying that it's good to see some diversity in the GAA.

But the very point is that neither of us were being racist, we were saying that it's good to see some diversity in the GAA.

Were you? Perhaps the mods will decide that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

So someone makes a joke and you are obviously hoping that their comments are deleted or they are banned?

No doubt in your self-righteousness you also consider yourself some sort of 'liberal' :)

If any mod wants to contact me I'm more than willing to discuss my tongue in cheek comment with them. If you knew anything about me you wouldn't be on your high horse as I can assure you I'm far more involved in racial integration than the vast majority. As was pointed out Ruadhan was key to my comment. However if you want to fight a non existent battle you go right ahead.

The ego is a strange beast indeed...

How can a reference to names be inferred as racism? A reference to old traditional names in Kerry football as diversifying...

Where is the issue of race in that?

Maybe, the casual racism in this series of posts is your assumption that through names race is involved?

What has a no foreign games person in a Celtic jersey got to do with the diversification of names in the GAA?

GAA people are allowed to laugh at themselves and their traditional culchie names?
    Maybe, you should report me for slagging off culchie names? Or using the word culchie?

Bonniedog wrote: »
    So someone makes a joke and you are obviously hoping that their comments are deleted or they are banned?

No doubt in your self-righteousness you also consider yourself some sort of 'liberal' :)

I am some sort of liberal but not the wet, Twitter type.

I have explained myself already. Not interested in further arguments.

UP KERRY.

With a history of reporting comments made as jokes.
    Please explain to me how my comment was racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Well then you ought to engage in arguments on their own terms rather than appealing to some third party to intervene and presumably ban or censor.

I honestly don't see how any of the posts you refer to could be construed as "racist."

I have explained myself already. Not interested in further arguments.

UP KERRY.
    The issue being you haven't explained yourself. You have made an accusation of racism, something I take very seriously, but you have not shown in any way how my comment was racist but, there again, there's probably a very good reason why you can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

All over in Tralee

Kerry 2-16 Clare 1-6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Some of the shooting in the second half was very poor. Having led by 2-10 to 1-00 with the aid of a slight breeze, the second half was a draw at 6 points each.

Kerry emptied their bench and nobody really stood out after being introduced. Kerry's best performers were David Clifford and Barry Mahony but plenty to work on.

Some of the shooting in the second half was very poor. Having led by 2-10 to 1-00 with the aid of a slight breeze, the second half was a draw at 6 points each.

Kerry emptied their bench and nobody really stood out after being introduced. Kerry's best performers were David Clifford and Barry Mahony but plenty to work on.
    What about O'Connor? He looked like a quality performer last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

The Kerry Under 21 Football Team to play Galway in the All Ireland Under 21 Championship Semi Final in Cusack Park on Saturday evening (4:30pm) shows two changes in personnel from the side that defeated Cork in the Munster Final. Team captain Brian Sugrue of Renard, injured in the provincial decider, misses the game; Tom O’Sullivan goes back to the corner, Andrew Barry drops back to the centre back position with Barry O’Sullivan coming in at midfield. Up front, Conor Geaney comes in at corner forward in place of Cathal Bambury.

The team, captained by Matthew O’Sullivan of St Michaels-Foilmoreis as follows:

1. Shane Ryan Rathmore
    2. Tom (Leo) O’Sullivan Dingle
    3. Jason Foley Ballydonoghue
    4. Tom O’Sullivan Dingle
    5. Brian Ó Beaglaoich An Ghaeltacht
    6. Andrew Barry Na Gaeil
    7. Gavin White Dr Crokes
    8. Brian Ó Seanacháin Ballydonoghue
    9. Barry O’Sullivan Dingle
    10. Brandon Barrett Ardfert
    11. Sean O’Shea Kenmare
    12. Matthew Flaherty Dingle
    13. Killian Spillane Templenoe
    14. Matthew O’Sullivan St Michaels-Foilmore
    15. Conor Geaney Dingle

Fir Ionaid:

16. Eoghan O’Brien Churchill
    17. Jack Morgan Austin Stacks
    18. Cathal Bambury Dingle
    19. Cormac Coffey Kerins O’Rahillys
    20. Daniel O’Brien Glenflesk
    21. Micheál Burns Dr Crokes
    22. Jordan Kiely Dr Crokes
    23. Roibeard Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    24. Lee O’Donoghue Glenflesk
    25. Mark Ryan Rathmore

Bainistíocht:

Bainisteoir: Jack O’Connor (Dromid Pearses)

Roghnoirí: Micheál O’Shea (Castlegregory), Eamon Whelan (St Senans), Declan O’Sullivan (Dromid Pearses).

Treanálaí: Alan O’Sullivan (Kerins O’Rahillys) and Arthur Fitzgerald (Firies)

No sign of a Paidi on that team either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

What about O'Connor? He looked like a quality performer last year.

Yeah he did well too to be fair to him

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Put a stop to the names, may have been meant as an attempt at humour - not coming across that way and dragging the thread off topic. Keep it on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Put a stop to the names, may have been meant as an attempt at humour - not coming across that way and dragging the thread off topic. Keep it on topic please

:confused:

mystic86 wrote: »
    :confused:

I already expressed such a sentiment and had my comment removed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Club Championships this weekend

Intermediate Club Championship

Fixtures for the coming weekend are split between Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday with four games on each day. There are some intriguing games to whet the appetite with Ardfert taking on Tralee rivals John Mitchels, Milltown-Castlemaine and Laune Rangers meeting in a big local derby and All Ireland Junior champions Glenbeigh-Glencar taking on former All Ireland Intermediate champions St Michaels-Foilmore.

Sunday April 16th

Spa v Castleisland Desmonds

Currow v St Mary's

Ardfert v John Mitchels

Milltown/Castlemaine v Laune Rangers

Monday April 17th

Glenflesk v Brosna

Glenbeigh/Glencar v St Michael's Foilmore

An Ghaeltacht v Gneeveguilla

Waterville v Templenoe

Junior Premier Club Championship

Fixtures in the Junior Premier Club Championship are spread over three days with the Saturday meeting of Emmets and Annascaul standing out from a host of interesting fixtures including Ballymac and Fossa and Skellig Rangers and St Pats..

Saturday April 15th @ 6pm

Listowel Emmets v Annascaul

Sunday April 16th

Dromid v Renard

Ballymacelligott v Fossa

St Senan's v Firies

Skellig Rangers v St Pat's Blennerville

Finuge v Keel

Monday April 17th

Churchill v Ballydonoghue

Na Gaeil v Beaufort (3pm)

Junior Club Championship

The full Junior Championship fixtures programme goes ahead as planned on Sunday next and there are a lot of Clubs in this competition who wil fancy their chances of emulating Fossa's success last year chief among them being the likes of Listry, Lispole, Castlegregory and Cordal to name but a few.

Sunday April 16th

Duagh v Kilgarvan

Asdee v Listry

Cordal v Beale

Castlegregory v Scartaglin

Lispole v Cromane

Valentia v Tuosist

Ballyduff v Sneem/Derrynane

Tarbert v Moyvane

Intermediate championship is very competitive this year with so many former All Ireland club winners in it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement