Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

picking a starting 15 for the first round of the championship is a difficult task, even pick the 26 as theres potentially 8 or 9 lads to challenge the 26 who togged last sunday!

JOD
    O Brien.
    Buckley
    Young
    Shane Enright.

then at least 4 of the under 21s - Foley, BOB, Tom Sullivan, Gavin White and maybe 1 or 2 more.

thats a serious dilemma for Fitzy. i would go for the following anyway, though i cannot decide on 11 and 15.

BK/BK
    Foley - Griffan - Shane
    Crowley-Morley-Young
    Barry - Moran
    Murphy---?
    Donnacha
    JOD
    Geaney
    ?

for the forwards, you have Darran, M Geaney, O brien, Sheehan BJ keane, Buckley, Mccarthy, Savage, Donaghy all fighting for two positions, even Johnaton Lyne i guess.

would sean O Shea, Killian, Matthew O Sullivan be worth a pop off the 21s? eitherway, the competition is fierce and we could see some big name casualties this summer on match day - this should however help drive lads on and not allow complacency.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

picking a starting 15 for the first round of the championship is a difficult task, even pick the 26 as theres potentially 8 or 9 lads to challenge the 26 who togged last sunday!

JOD
    O Brien.
    Buckley
    Young
    Shane Enright.

then at least 4 of the under 21s - Foley, BOB, Tom Sullivan, Gavin White and maybe 1 or 2 more.

thats a serious dilemma for Fitzy. i would go for the following anyway, though i cannot decide on 11 and 15.

BK/BK
    Foley - Griffan - Shane
    Crowley-Morley-Young
    Barry - Moran
    Murphy---?
    Donnacha
    JOD
    Geaney
    ?

for the forwards, you have Darran, M Geaney, O brien, Sheehan BJ keane, Buckley, Mccarthy, Savage, Donaghy all fighting for two positions, even Johnaton Lyne i guess.

would sean O Shea, Killian, Matthew O Sullivan be worth a pop off the 21s? eitherway, the competition is fierce and we could see some big name casualties this summer on match day - this should however help drive lads on and not allow complacency.

Harsh enough on the two corner backs who played the last day. I thought they did very well even though the dubs full forwards were poor on the day. Fionn has had bad days out, I'll give you that. I'd be surprised if O Beaglaoich didn't get a start somewhere too, he's some prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

JOD
    O Brien.
    Buckley
    Young
    Shane Enright.

BK/BK
    Foley - Griffan - Shane
    Crowley-Morley-Young
    Barry - Moran
    Murphy---?
    Donnacha
    JOD
    Geaney
    ?

Shanahan did nothing wrong in the league and it's up to O'Beaglaoich or Foley to take the jersey off him. I think griffin and Enright are certs at 3 and 4. Half back line and midfield picks themselves and the no. 11 jersey is Mikey Geaneys after the last two games unless he gets injured or loses form.

The only spot not firmly nailed down at the moment is 15, it'll be a real scrap in training for that spot between Savage, O'Brien, Darren, Mccarthy, BJ Keane, Sheehan and O'Shea. Given all these are going for a couple of spots I'm wondering is JOD's place safe? He needs to get back in ASAP

Brilliant to see such competition in the panel. We have great cover for injuries once everyone is back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

U21s beaten by 4 points by Galway.
    To be honest the scoreline flattered them. Galway were by far the better team.
    Galway destroyed them in the first half leading at one stage by 9 points.
    Barry O Sullivan sent off for two yellows in the second half. He had a poor game overall with himself and O Seanachain easily beaten in the midfield battle.
    The only player who stood out to me was Matthew O Flaherty. Worked hard, showed some skill, kicked a couple of nice scores.

• Advertisement

Didnt deserve anything from the game today,Galway got a run on us at the start and that was the winning of the game there,we just seemed to stand off them and they obliged by taking some very good points and lucky for us they didnt put a bigger score as they missed some great chances as well,

We just didnt have the hunger to match them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Disappointing end for the U21s. Galway were very impressive as they tore into kerry in the first 20 minutes and we were facing an uphill battle from there. The sending off finished it as any sort of contest.

O'Flaherty was absolutely outstanding for Kerry but couldn't do it on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

The red card was very soft. I thought the ref made some iffy enough calls but Galway were far superior in every area. They did miss a huge amount of chances too, could easily have won by 10 points +

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

We weren't switched on at all.

We ran out 30 seconds after Galway and had a few lads waiting behind the Galway photograph not knowing what to do.

Then management handed out White training tops to all the players during the warm up (was it a tribute to Vince?). That seemed distracting. The warm up seemed a little sloppy.

That kind of set the tone. Galway were absolutely focussed on the task at hand and blitzed us from the start.

They were top class especially around the middle and absolutely cleared us out.

We played without a sweeper, which struck me as being a bit disrespectful or naive from an All Ireland winning manager. When we finally moved Matthew O'Flaherty back it was too late we were 9 points down.

The players were poor and management was poor.

Galway were brilliant to be fair to them. 8 or 9 points better on the day. They butcheree some really good chances They were physically much stronger and bullied our forwards (fairly not in any dirty way). Having seen us destroy Cork I was sure we'd get at least 8 Seniors our of this team. Now I'm not so sure. We certainly need to bulk up.

Things always seem terrible after a loss. Perhaps after a few days reflection things will seem a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm sure I wasn't the only person literally saying after three minutes we need to bring O'Sullivan out to midfield and put a sweeper in. Unfortunately by the time it was done ten minutes later we were nine or ten points behind and the game was essentially over.

We must have won the rest of the game by about six points after.

Very poor performance in the early stages with a lot of guys flinching big time from giving Shane Ryan am option from kickouts. Disappointed with what seemed like a lack of courage in that regard.

Certainly some bruised reputations after that although I thought Begley and Flaherty were good and O'Sullivan is a great trier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Ya a lot of bruised reputations including the management for not shoring up the back they just didn't give galway the respect they deserved looked totaly lost after 10 min with no plan B. But this defeat will stand to them a lot of these players steping up from minor level don't know what its like to loose, you need that to drive you on to greater things.

Kerry Senior Hurling Team V Meath – Leinster GAA Senior Hurling Championship – Round Robin - Páirc Tailteann Sunday Apr 23rd 2017 3pm.

The Kerry Senior Hurling Team to play Meath in the Leinster GAA Senior Hurling Championship – Round Robin 1st Round game in Páirc Tailteann Navan on Sunday next shows 5 changes in personnel from the side that did duty against Laois in the Allianz League Div 1B Relegation playoff;

Team captain Aiden McCabe replaces Martin Stackpoole in goal; James O’Connor replaces Rory Horgan In the full back line; John Buckley reverts to half back in place of the injured Daniel Collins with Tommy Casey taking over Buckley’s place in midfield and up front Mikey Boyle and Keith Carmody come in for Michael O’Leary and Jack Goulding.

The team captained by Aidan McCabe of Kilmoyley is as follows:

1 Aiden McCabe Kilmoyley

2 Rory Horgan St Brendans

3 Tom Murnane Kilmoyley

4 Sean Weir Crotta O’Neills

5 John Buckley Lixnaw

6 Bryan Murphy Causeway

7 Darren Dineen St Brendans

8 Tommy Casey Causeway

9 Paudie O’Connor Kilmoyley

10 Mikey Boyle Ballyduff

11 Patrick Kelly Clarecastle

12 Keith Carmody Causeway

13 Jordan Conway Crotta O’Neills

14 Shane Nolan Crotta O’Neills

15 Padraig Boyle Ballyduff

Fir Ionaid:

16 Martin Stackpoole Lixnaw

17 James O’Connor Abbeydorney

18 Paud Costelloe Ballyduff

19 Jack Goulding Ballyduff

20 Brendan O’Leary Abbeydorney

21 Michael O’Leary Abbeydorney

22 Philp Lucid Ballyheigue

23 Maurice O’Connor Kilmoyley

24 Tomás O’Connor Crotta O’Neills

25 John Griffin Lixnaw

26 James Godley Kilmoyley

Tralee derby in the relegation play offs

Austin Stacks V Kerins O’Rahillys

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greysheep

Jimmy Keane from Brosna is the new Kerry Junior manager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Anybody at the Spa match last week? Knew Castleisland would be stiff opposition but didn't expect a tonking like that

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

greysheep wrote: »
    Jimmy Keane from Brosna is the new Kerry Junior manager

Tom McGoldrick for captaincy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Kerry hurlers leading Westmeath 0-12 to 0-5 at HT - with Laois hammering Meath, even the Leinster QFs are back on the agenda!

Kerry cling on for the win - final score of 0-20 to 2-12.

Judging by this table, Laois and Westmeath favourites for QF, draw would do us if Westmeath beat Meath:

https://mobile.twitter.com/gaaleinster/status/858715195866312704/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Stacks hammered the Narries tonight.

1-15 to 0-9.

Legion beat Dingle in their first round replay 1-12 to 1-11

Crokes beat Rathmore 1-15 to 1-10 in the Semi Final.

Narries play the losers of Kilcummin and Dingle in the relegation final.

Legion play Kenmare and the winners play the Crokes in the Club Final.

Judging by this table, Laois and Westmeath favourites for QF, draw would do us if Westmeath beat Meath:

https://mobile.twitter.com/gaaleinster/status/858715195866312704/photo/1

Badly need win yesterday,get the confidence back into the team

Looking forward to the Laois game,be very little between the two teams again

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

DDC1990 wrote: »

1-15 to 0-9.

Have Strand Road ever been intermediate. I don't see them losing to Kilcummin but you never know! Would be a big surprise with the quality players they have in their squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Have Strand Road ever been intermediate. I don't see them losing to Kilcummin but you never know! Would be a big surprise with the quality players they have in their squad.

Wouldn't think so. Dingle have to beat Kilcummin first! I wouldn't rule out Kilcummin at all

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gary Gurny

DDC1990 wrote: »

1-15 to 0-9.

Just thinking back to the games at the weekend.

A few stand out performers who I think could be worth a look at in the future. Shane Crowley was a leader from start to finish in the tralee derby, You could see it in his eyes that he was driven to suceed and the hostile atmosphere brought the best out in him.

I feel if he worked on a few things he wouldnt be a million miles from eamon fitzs long term plans.

Well done to the Kerry hurlers, they are enjoying a bit of success under current manager Buff Egan. He seems to have them all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Kerry v Tipperary Munster GAA Under 17 Football Semi Final

The Kerry Under 17 Football Team to play Tipperary in the semi final of the Munster GAA Under 17 Football competition at Tralee’s Austin Stack Park on Tuesday evening contains six of the current Minor panel.

Goalkeeper Deividas Uosis and centre back Eddie Horan started the recent Minor championship Quarter Final against Clare while Michael Slattery and Dylan Casey were among the substitutes on that evening.

Under 17 captain Sean O’Connell and Luka Brosnan are part of the extended Minor panel.

The team, captained by Sean O’Connell of Cordal is as follows:

01 Deividas Uosis Dingle

02 Gearóid Lyne Annascaul

03 Dylan Casey Austin Stacks

04 Fergal Barry Na Gaeil

05 Luka Brosnan Castleisland Desmonds

06 Edward Horan Scartaglen

07 Thomas Devane Dingle

08 Seán O’Connell (C) Cordal

09 Franz Sauerland An Ghaeltacht

10 Dara Casey Glenbeigh/Glencar

11 Donal O’Sullivan Kilgarvan

12 Michael Kelleher John Mitchels

13 Barry Keane Listry

14 Michael Slattery Austin Stacks

15 Seán Keane Listowel Emmets

Fir Ionaid:

16 Brian Lonergan Ballymacelligott

17 Donagh McMahon Austin Stacks

18 Dáire Cleary Laune Rangers

19 Micheál Devlin Killarney Legion

20 Muiris Fitzgerald St Mary’s

21 Seán Doherty Glenflesk

22 Darren Looney Killarney Legion

23 David Shanahan Castleisland Desmonds

24 Daragh O’Connor Laune Rangers

Bainistíocht:

Bainisteoir: Peter Keane (St Marys)

Treanalaí: Chris Flannery and Padraig Murphy

Roghnoirí: Tommy Griffin (Dingle), James Foley (Kilcummin), Colm Whelan (St Senans)

Coach: John Dillon (Duagh)

• Advertisement

Castleisland Mart Club Championship Round-Up

There was another hectic weekend of Club Championship activity in all grades over the weekend with Dr Crokes qualifying for the Senior Final while the semi-finalists are now known in the Intermediate, Junior Premier and Junior Championships. Those semi-finals will not be played until the Autumn however.

Senior Club Championship

Dr Crokes qualified for their sixth Senior Club Championship Final in a row with a five point victory over Rathmore (1-15 to 1-10) at Fitzgerald Stadium. Meanwhile, Legion surprised many observers by going to Dingle and defeating the local side in the Round 1 replay by the minimum margin (1-12 to 1-11) to set up a semi-final meeting with Kenmare on Sunday next in Fitzgerald Stadium at 2:30pm for the right to play All Ireland champions Dr Crokes in the final.

Intermediate Championship

The meeting of the last two All Ireland Junior Club champions, Templenoe and Glenbeigh/Glencar in Templenoe on Saturday last resulted in a two points victory for the homeside (1-10 to 0-11) while there were six goals scored in Cahersiveen where St Marys came from behind to defeat a gallant Desmonds side by four points (4-10 to 2-12). Meanwhile in Gallarus on Bank Holiday Monday the home side had five points to spare over Ardfert (1-14 to 0-12).

So Templenoe, St Marys and An Ghaeltacht join Laune Rangers in the Intermediate semi-finals.

Premier Junior Championship

There was just one game in the Premier Junior Club Championship this weekend with Na Gaeil getting the better of Churchill by five points (0-17 to 2-6). The Tralee side join Firies, Dromid Pearses, and Skellig Rangers in the semi-finals.

Junior Championship

Castlegregory secured their semi-final place with a one point victory over Duagh (1-10 to 1-9) while Ballyduff made the long trip to Tuosist but lost out by the minimum margin (1-5 to 0-7).

So Castlegregory and Tuosist join Lispole and Listry in the semi-finals.

Novice Championship

There was just one game in the Novice championship last weekend with Scartaglen securing a semi-final place thanks to a narrow one point victory over Knocknagoshel (0-11 to 1-7). Ballylongford gave a walk over to Beale in a Preliminary Round game and there is another Preliminary Round game fixed for Saturday next when Clounmacon play Cromane for the right to play Kilgarvan. The final Preliminary Round game does not go ahead until May 27th when Moyvane play Asdee with the winners travelling to Beale in Round 1.

Senior Football Championship Relegation Playoffs

The much anticipated meeting of Austin Stacks and Kerins O’Rahillys in the Senior Football Championship relegation playoff Round 1 at Austin Stack Park on Sunday evening failed to live up to expectations with Austin Stacks comfortably securing their championship status with an emphatic 1-15 to 0-9 victory over their Tralee rivals. Kilcummin will play Dingle in the other round 1 game on Sunday next in Killorglin at 2:30pm. That competition will then be parked until the latter stages of the Senior Football Championship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement