Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

a strange game last sunday.... we started & finished well.
    some poor patches.
    how did cork not win? and yet, how did kerry not win at the death?

anyway, we do it all again in cork next sunday...

see y'all there!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

my thoughts -

ref was shocking. bad for both team, with cork getting about 70% of his poor decisions, especially in the first half. he was involved in 6 cork scores, another ref may have given different decisions. 3 wreckless tackles, head high all only punished with yellows, and then donaghy gets a yellow for a shoulder. i would think he is the poorest ref ive ever seen at a kerry game. lucky free at the end, though kerry deserved some luck after a serious railroading before that. kerry should had had a sideline ball for corks last score, though what was moran at.

we gifted cork 7 scores with basic mistakes from keeley (2), moran (2), Marc (2) and maher one. cork made very few, if no mistakes which cost them scores.

keeley solid, one bad kick out cost a point, but he was unlucky for the hop ball which led to another.

full back line very solid, great games from all 3.
    half back line ok, tomas was super, especially when needed most.

midfield cleaned, though luckily didnt cost us. poorest game ive ever seen scanlon play for us and quirke got injured in the first 10 minutes

half forwards picked up no breaks until galvin came on. darran sullivan should have been off after 35 minutes, likewise for donnacha, who despite having alot of the ball, let his man get 3 points.

inside line was poor, except sheehan who is a joy to watch and scored 4 points from 45+ yards. super asset to have, 2-11 already in the championship.

overall, we will learn more from it than cork and alot of our lads will play better the next day.

finally, super win for the hurlers. i will be in croke park on the 3rd to support them. well done to all concerned, its been a great year for kerry hurling, promotion back to the 2nd level of the league, playing some decent teams next season and in the final of this, with promotion back to senior just one game away, all without our best player.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

half forwards picked up no breaks until galvin came on. darran sullivan should have been off after 35 minutes, likewise for donnacha, who despite having alot of the ball, let his man get 3 points.

Agree wholeheartedly - Darran was absolutely terrible, I know his shooting has improved but he seems to have the mindset of an u-12 player, get the ball go running, if he runs into trouble he doesn't seem to have the skills to get out of it and looks to draw a foul imo. I'm not saying running at teams is a bad thing - he can cause problems but alot of teams are wise to his style at this stage.

Again referring to his skillset, imo, he's not good enough for the half forward line, which is an area of the field where physicallity, reading the breaks and work ethic are required and here Darran's lacking.

I'd honestly prefer to see BJK given a shot there the next day after all he has impressed in his last two outings coming off the bench.
    inside line was poor, except sheehan who is a joy to watch and scored 4 points from 45+ yards. super asset to have, 2-11 already in the championship.

Again, agreed - it's amazing what he can do when he's motivated enough, in this case the oppertunity to captain his county. Imo he's always had the ability just lacking in his attitude with rumours about Jacko setting him straight last year after Sheehan confronted him. Delighted to see him finally producing the goods tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wouldn't start BJK tbh.

There are three main reasons.

1. I think Donncha Walsh is a more effective player than he gets the credit for. Assuming his man won't score three points again (ie we do better at midfield) I think he's a ball winning player who can do a job for 50 minutes.

2. Regardless of what 15 starts the next day, it's more than likely going to very tight going into the last 20 minutes. Bringing Barry on in that scenario he's pretty much guarenteed to land two points or more for you, with the likely looseness of marking. Donncha Walsh coming off the bench is less likely to contribute this way.

3. Barry is cranky. In the uber-charged first 15 minutes the next day someone could hit him a dig and he might not have the guile to get away with retaliating. The only thing about this is that anyone he actually does hit will be either hospitalised or dead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Will everyone be fit for Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Orizio wrote: »
    Will everyone be fit for Sunday?

Hangover took a while to get over with on Monday, but I'll be fit to go again on Sunday:)

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Hangover took a while to get over with on Monday, but I'll be fit to go again on Sunday:)

A pint of water and a couple of aspirin the night before. ;)

keane2097 wrote: »
    The only thing about this is that anyone he actually does hit will be either hospitalised or dead :pac:

Typical Rahillies bah :rolleyes: :D

PaulieC wrote: »
    Typical Rahillies bah :rolleyes: :D

It's Strand Road you peasant :pac:

My auld fella says he's suspposedly benching twice whatever Donaghy is benching in training. I met him the week before last and he's actually a monster these days!

It's Strand Road you peasant :pac:

My auld fella says he's suspposedly benching twice whatever Donaghy is benching in training. I met him the week before last and he's actually a monster these days!

Fair dues....Donnaghy's benching is always gona be light after his AC joint injury, he has a surgical screw keeping one of the bones down iirc - that said it's plain to see how much of a tank BJ's after turning into - even considering that the TV adds ten pounds :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

darragh reckons johnny buckley might be worth looking at...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0609/1224272122550.html

fresca wrote: »
    darragh reckons johnny buckley might be worth looking at...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0609/1224272122550.html

Sure he's only saying that because he wants to puck the head off Dave Moran....AGAIN! :)

Was working Sunday night and got talking to a few Cork lads afterwards about the game, they mentioned they'd heard great things about Buckley but went to see him play in the Sigerson final and he got destroyed when up against inter-county standard opposition.

Whilst I know Johnny, have played against him and think he's a future Kerry midfielder, I think it's a bit too soon for him. If anybody's going to come into midfield it'll be Maher imo because in his last two outings for Kerry he's shown his ability in the air and willingness to get forward, not to mention a keen eye for a point, his score against Cork was a beauty imho

Whilst I know Johnny, have played against him and think he's a future Kerry midfielder, I think it's a bit too soon for him. If anybody's going to come into midfield it'll be Maher imo because in his last two outings for Kerry he's shown his ability in the air and willingness to get forward, not to mention a keen eye for a point, his score against Cork was a beauty imho

I can't believe this tbh, I thought Maher was absolutely shocking the last day.

The improvement of Aidan Walsh in the second half was noticable and I really don't think it was a coincidence.

I can't believe this tbh, I thought Maher was absolutely shocking the last day.

The improvement of Aidan Walsh in the second half was noticable and I really don't think it was a coincidence.

Genuinely think he did well enough - that said Galvin coming in obviously made us grab more of a stranglehold around midfield but I do think Maher did well - in comparison to Dave who I though made alot more mistakes - nearly pulled my hair out when he hopped the ball twice, that's u-8 stuff like.

Genuinely think he did well enough - that said Galvin coming in obviously made us grab more of a stranglehold around midfield but I do think Maher did well - in comparison to Dave who I though made alot more mistakes - nearly pulled my hair out when he hopped the ball twice, that's u-8 stuff like.

I thought they were both very poor when they came on.

I'd be absolutely shocked to see either of them play next week assuming Micheál and Scanlon are fit.

FWIW, I met someone who was talking to David during the week, said he didn't seem like a guy who was expecting to come on at all. Hopefully we can put some of his performance down to that and that his head will be in the right space going forward.

I thought they were both very poor when they came on.

I'd be absolutely shocked to see either of them play next week assuming Micheál and Scanlon are fit.

Agreed, I'll stand by what I said about thinking Maher did well but obviously he wasn't at the level where Quirke or Scanlon would be worried imo.
    FWIW, I met someone who was talking to David during the week, said he didn't seem like a guy who was expecting to come on at all. Hopefully we can put some of his performance down to that and that his head will be in the right space going forward.

Jésus...would've though Dave would be pushing for the starting line up, and with things going so shíte for us at midfield I would've though he'd be expecting to come on tbh :confused: Hopefully if that's the case he'll knuckle down and do better next time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Jack is going to have to blood some youth in defence. It will have to be someone . Bohane Corrigan or some else surely deserves a go. Quirke hasn't the mobility for summer football. I would have though seeing him play that Daithí Casey would be in the small mould as Galvin but I don't think that he is even on the panel. Moran needs to really speed up his play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

In light of Kerry successfully making it to the Christy Ring final in hurling, I've decided it would be good to put up a poll to see whether people think they can win it against a Westmeath team that has won it twice before.

I think Kerry can, and it'll be a good game. Goals will decide this and Kerry have plenty in them.

Kerry by 4

thesultan wrote: »
    Jack is going to have to blood some youth in defence. It will have to be someone . Bohane Corrigan or some else surely deserves a go. Quirke hasn't the mobility for summer football. I would have though seeing him play that Daithí Casey would be in the small mould as Galvin but I don't think that he is even on the panel. Moran needs to really speed up his play

In the past number of years there have been a number of players coming through minor and u-21 level who've been hyped to make it onto the senior team almost straight away a la Mike Moloney, Luke Quinn, Daniel Doyle etc. These fellas have so far, failed to make the grade after been given chances.

Podge O' Connor, Johnathon Lyne are two young Legion fellas currently on the panel and are the type of player we need but it's going to be another season at least before they get playing time imo as they need to bulk up.

Judging from his performances for the Kerry juniors around two years ago, I would've thought Colin O'Mahoney would be given a shout, good, tough defender, very solid at corner back.

Regarding Dathaí Casey - very good footballer, has come on tenfold in the past number of years. I've seen him play at centre forward, wing forward and midfield - he'll work his socks off but imo his natural position is midfield where he plays a Sean Cavanagh type role and attacks from deep. With regards to replacing Galvin in a few years then I'd be looking at a player like Kieran O' Leary who proved a real workhorse in the u-21 all Ireland final win over Kildare a few years ago, and well able to attack.

In light of Kerry successfully making it to the Christy Ring final in hurling, I've decided it would be good to put up a poll to see whether people think they can win it against a Westmeath team that has won it twice before.

I think Kerry can, and it'll be a good game. Goals will decide this and Kerry have plenty in them.

Kerry by 4

Should be a good game actually, Meyler seems to be doing a cracking job - shame they don't show such 'minor' hurling games on TV, an example of why the GAA should have its own TV channel. Will it be on the net?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Orizio wrote: »
    Should be a good game actually, Meyler seems to be doing a cracking job - shame they don't show such 'minor' hurling games on TV, an example of why the GAA should have its own TV channel. Will it be on the net?

They used to show it on TV. Both the ring and rackard cups. They have not for a while now. Highlights will be on the Sunday game and thats that. If Kerry win I wonder will they be in the Munster hurling championship again? Maybe they can beat Waterford again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Might beat Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Kerry by 4

I think Westmeath are a little better than Kerry, it wasn't that long ago they beat the Dubs in the Championship.

They used to show it on TV. Both the ring and rackard cups. They have not for a while now. Highlights will be on the Sunday game and thats that. If Kerry win I wonder will they be in the Munster hurling championship again? Maybe they can beat Waterford again;)

Don't see why they (RTE) don't show it on the internet like they did with Limerick/Laois last year - like I said, the GAA should have its own station which can show 'lesser' inter-county games, underage stuff, club games etc.

Any news on Kerry injuries?

thesultan wrote: »
    Might beat Limerick

They really wouldn't be far off as it stands, but I don't think they should be let into Munster again until they are pushing from promotion to Div 1. They are a bit off that yet.

BTW Cork have a lot to do with this recent improvement in Kerry hurling, not that anyone notices. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Anyone any idea where the Munster Final will be played?

All the Website say TBC (to be confirmed)

Can anyone remember where they played last?

I half remember a replay but cant remember where

If i was to guess the replay was played in Killarney. So if there is a home and away agreement. Limerick would be the venue on the 4th at 2pm on Tv3.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-resul...nship/munster/

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dermotsull13

The final is on in Killarney on the 4th... gonna be another battle cause Limerick werent a million miles off winning it last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Im in a dilema, Im from Limerick but both my parents are from Kerry, I spent alot of time in Kerry growing up and spent college time in kerry, always supported the kerry footballers since I was a tot.... But who will I support on July 4th?!!! :eek:

Anyway my question for now is, can someone please tell me where in the terrace in Fitzgerald Stadium is the blue section??
    Its divided into BLUE, RED and YELLOW

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

red is behind the goals to the left of the camera or in the right of the below pic, goes up until say the 13 metre line towads the press box. blue then is the middle section from there to the 45 meter line down the other end, the remaining section is the 3rd color, which i though was green.

fitzgerald%20stadium.gif

note : the red here in the pic is not red as per tickets, thats the uncovered stand, which is a different scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

I saw that plan but confused me! So Im after getting blue terrace tickets so this means im opposite the stand (middle section of terrace)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement