Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Munster GAA Under 17 Football Semi Final

Kerry 3-11 Tipperary 1-6

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I see David Culhane from Ballylongford is togging out at CHB for New York. They actually have quite a strong side this year. Could be interesting with Sligo slightly weakened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I see David Culhane from Ballylongford is togging out at CHB for New York. They actually have quite a strong side this year. Could be interesting with Sligo slightly weakened.

He was a solid enough player - always thought he was a very decent man-marker.

Be some crack if New York won.

Munster GAA Under 17 Football Semi Final

Kerry 3-11 Tipperary 1-6

Choppy enough performance from talking to someone at it - good in patches, but said they wouldn't be surprised if there was a fair few changes to the starting line-up for the Cork game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

First round proper of Senior County Championship this weekend. There should be two competitive games in Fitzgeralds Stadium on Sunday between East Kerry and Rathmore and Crokes and Mid Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Best of luck to the Kerry minors. Cork are favourites according to local radio but shur we'll see.

Shane Enright went off injured against St Brendans

They gave Shannon Rangers a fair mauling

St Brendans 6-24 Shannon Rangers 1-8

Fixtures for next weekend

Saturday,

Austin Stacks vs St Kierans
    Kenmare District v Dingle
    St Brendan's vs Kilcummin

Sunday:

Killarney Legion v Kenmare Shamrocks
    West Kerry v Feale Rangers
    East Kerry v Rathmore
    Kerins O’Rahillys v South Kerry
    Dr Crokes v Mid Kerry

Kerry V Cork Electric Ireland Munster Minor Football Championship Semi Final

The Kerry Minor Football Team to play Cork in the Electric Ireland Munster Minor Football Championship Semi -Final at Páirc Uí Rinn on Wednesday evening shows 2 personnel and a number of positional changes from the side that defeated Clare in the Quarter Final.

Cian Gammell and Niall Donohue, both members of last year’s panel, come into the defence in place of Sean O’Leary and Patrick Warren both of whom picked up injuries in the quarter final tie and who are included among the substitutes.

The team contains just four of the side who played in the All Ireland Minor Final last year – Michael Potts, Diarmuid O’Connor, Brian Friel and David Clifford.

Potts, together with Chris O’Donoghue, Cian Gammell, Niall Donohue and Donnchadh O’Sullivan, were members of the St Brendans College Hogan Cup winning side this year.

The team, captained by David Clifford of Fossa is as follows:

Deividas Uosis Dingle

Ryan O’Neill Na Gaeil

Chris O’Donoghue Glenflesk

Cian Gammell Killarney Legion

Michael Potts Dr Crokes

Eddie Horan Scartaglen

Niall Donohue Firies

Barry Mahony St Senans

Diarmuid O'Connor Na Gaeil

Adam Donoghue Castleisland Desmonds

David Clifford (C) Fossa

Donal O’Sullivan Kilgarvan

Fiáchra Clifford Laune Rangers

Donchadh O’Sullivan Firies

Brian Friel Rathmore

Fir Ionaid:

Nelu O’Doherty Dr Crokes

Ciarán O’Reilly Austin Stacks

Sean O’Leary Kilcummin

Michael Slattery Austin Stacks

Patrick Warren Gneeveguilla

Jack Griffin Dr Crokes

Michael O’Leary Renard

Dylan Casey Austin Stacks

Cathal Ferriter Annascaul

Bainistíocht:

Bainisteoir: Peter Keane (St Marys)

Treanalaí: Chris Flannery (Killarney Legion) and Padraig Murphy (Laune Rangers)

Roghnoirí: Tommy Griffin (Dingle), James Foley (Kilcummin)

Additional Players on the Kerry Minor Panel

Ciaran Kennedy (Beaufort), Sean O’Connell (Cordal), Eddie Browne (Listowel Emmets), Cian O’Callaghan (Firies), Mark Ashe (Dingle).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Funny to see Clifford named out the field a bit.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Funny to see Clifford named out the field a bit.

Should have named him in goals for the craic :D:D

• Advertisement

I'd be hopeful that with Cian Gammell and Niall Donohue both back in defense, it should be a bit more solid than the last night.

Midfield might be a bit of an issue - heard Cork are fairly strong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

All going surprising well so far:

Kerry 2-9
    Cork 1-5

Now HT, two goals for David Clifford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Finishes 2-17 to 1-10, Clifford seems to have run the show, judging by Twitter.

Anyone know the ins and outs of the AFL rookie rules? Any reason why Clifford couldn't be gone already if he wanted to be since he's finished with school and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Clifford scored 2-08 of the 2-17 according to Kerry GAA's twitter feed. He's some talent.

Anyone know the ins and outs of the AFL rookie rules? Any reason why Clifford couldn't be gone already if he wanted to be since he's finished with school and all?

I'd imagine it's probably due to when he turns 18 as opposed to just being finished school.

keane2097 wrote:

If I recall correctly Clifford hasn't had any AFL trials. David Shaw has.

Perhaps i've missed something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Is the Kerry minor goalie Deividas Uosis of Eastern European descent or is it just an Irish translation?

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's probably due to when he turns 18 as opposed to just being finished school.

That's why I'm wondering what the recruitment rule is. A cursory glance at the AFL website doesn't say anything about age on its rookie rules summary.

I've heard conflicting reports about whether he's planning on going or not, it would be very disappointing if he did.
    Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Is the Kerry minor goalie Deividas Uosis of Eastern European descent or is it just an Irish translation?

Someone elsewhere said they think his parents are from Lithuania. I think he's meant to be decent out the field as well.

I do see a reference to a lower age limit of 18 on wikipedia :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Rasputin11 wrote: »

Devidas would be fairly common name back west though (although I suppose not so much in this generation). There's a séimhiú and a fada in it if you were writing it in Irish so it doesn't look Irish how he has it. Sounds a bit like 'Davis' with a long 'i' sound.
    If you've heard of the village Ballydavid, that's the English version of the same name.

For stuff like getting into the country on a visa/signing contracts/opening a
    bank account/renting a place, I'd imagine an awful lot of that stuff becomes a whole lot easier once an individual becomes 18.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    For stuff like getting into the country on a visa/signing contracts/opening a
    bank account/renting a place, I'd imagine an awful lot of that stuff becomes a whole lot easier once an individual becomes 18.

Yeah I'm sure you're right.

Mark O'Connor starting his first AFL game this weekend for the Geelong Cats against the Essendon Bombers in the MCG.

His debut is almost unprecedented in how quick it has come. He has only 6 games at reserve level under his belt.

From what I gather he has been solid and safe rather than spectacular in these games so I was pretty surprised to hear about his call up.

I was amazed to see how stocky he looks even among the big men. He was always tall, but he has bulked up spectacularly.

Hopefully he has a good debut and pushes on and does well for himself.

Mark O'Connor starting his first AFL game this weekend for the Geelong Cats against the Essendon Bombers in the MCG.

His debut is almost unprecedented in how quick it has come. He has only 6 games at reserve level under his belt.

From what I gather he has been solid and safe rather than spectacular in these games so I was pretty surprised to hear about his call up.

I was amazed to see how stocky he looks even among the big men. He was always tall, but he has bulked up spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

think Tadhg was still in school when he was signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Hopefully he flops, gets home quickly and back playing for Kerry.

fixed that for you :p:p:p:p:p

fixed that for you

Ah I couldn't begrudge a guy going and making a living for himself playing professional sport.

It can't be easy for him but he seems to have a phenomenal work ethic and from interviews is very modest and humble.

Such a pity his brothers who were out with him for a while returned home 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

A lot of people out there are surprised as well apparently judging by the clubs social media pages. The club obviously rate him very highly though, and it's great to see him progressing. Hopefully his debut goes well.

Anybody know where we can we catch this game or even highlights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

think Tadhg was still in school when he was signed up.

Tadhg played two years U21 with Kerry before leaving I think?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement