Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Same As wrote:
    Open to correction but apparently it was caffeine recovery gels that pretty much all players use.

Not refuting this but why haven't more players tested positive if that is the case? Or is it like the Aidan O'Mahoney one where his levels were above theaccepted threshold?

Both times after losing finals as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Not refuting this but why haven't more players tested positive if that is the case? Or is it like the Aidan O'Mahoney one where his levels were above theaccepted threshold?

Both times after losing finals as well!

No idea here, I guess similar to the case of Mahoney all will be revealed when the official report is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

interesting that the 2016 final was when Jimmy Gavin lost the plot over four players, including O'Sulllivan, being prevented from seeing the 1916 event by drug testers hauling them off.

Coincidence I know but there are lots of anti GAA begrudgers who will revisit all of this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Acceptable levels of such things would not lead to a suspension. Strange how it was so hush hush. Makes you wonder how many other players got suspensions that we didn't hear about.
    I would have thought it would be way more transparent than finding out so long after the event, especially as it was a high profile player/county.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bonniedog wrote: »
    interesting that the 2016 final was when Jimmy Gavin lost the plot over four players, including O'Sulllivan, being prevented from seeing the 1916 event by drug testers hauling them off.

Coincidence I know but there are lots of anti GAA begrudgers who will revisit all of this.

He didn't lose the plot. He just questioned why they had to miss watching the Laochra Gael show that was on immediately after the game, especially as they were not actually being tested at the time. They were just sitting on bench outside a bathroom, trying to get enough fluids into them, to enable them to give a big enough sample to be tested. He wanted to know why they couldn't just go outside to watch the show & drink their water there, under the supervision of one of the drug testers.

Not a whole lot to argue about there, to a lay person. But at time, I thought his comments were ill advised. He is not a medical man. He doesn't really know all the ins and outs of what goes on with taking samples and what not. Leave the process be & let the testers do their job. If the players miss out on fun, post game celebrations (like Bernard Brogan did after the 2011 AI final) then, c'est la vie. Don't blame the testers, blame the likes of Lance Armstrong.

• Advertisement

Not blaming the testers but Gavin's point that the testers could stay with the two Dublin and two Kerry players while they watched the show was a legitimate one. If you taking something it is not going to leave your system in an hour and they have to rehydrate anyway before giving a sample, as you say.

Perhaps "losing the plot" is OTT, but he was majorly pis$ed by all accounts!

It's Jim Gavin, Bonnie. Since when he does he do "majorly pissed off" in post game press conferences? :confused:

He expreses opinions on anything at all, so rarely, that it is headline news when he says anything that wakes the journos up from the naps they normally take when he is speaking. Add in that it was a Dublin v Kerry game, in a final, in a packed Croke Park & of course it was going to be headline news.

Jaysus, you are cranky today PD :-)

One might say I am majorly pissed off? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Same As wrote: »
    Open to correction but apparently it was caffeine recovery gels that pretty much all players use.

Is Caffeine a banned substance? Don't think it is....

• Advertisement

I imagine it is the amount of a substance in the bloodstream, that matters as much as the substance itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It would have been a contaminant in the gel rather than caffeine from what I've heard. We'll find out eventually I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Chinese gels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Forge83 wrote: »
    Is Caffeine a banned substance? Don't think it is....
    There's a legal limit for caffeine.

Do youse want any yokes bud?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

There's a legal limit for caffeine.

What's the limit? Have you a link? Quiet sure it was removed from banned list in 2004 regardless of quantity.

Forge83 wrote: »
    What's the limit? Have you a link? Quiet sure it was removed from banned list in 2004 regardless of quantity.
    Apologies you are correct. He couldn't have tested positive for caffeine.

Artane Boys will be playing this in parade for next Kerry game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD3F7J2PeYU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Artane Boys will be playing this in parade for next Kerry game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD3F7J2PeYU

well its on in ennis so i can assure you i will do everything in my power to make it happen :D

will also try and get this to be played insted of the national anthem :pac:

• Advertisement

Same As wrote: »
    If it was what all players use they would all test positive.

ah jeasus come on , he hardly did it on purpose for christ sake , its hardly on the same scale as the blood transfusions during the tour de france or maradona sniffing coke before a world cup game

No-one seriously thinks this chap was a drug cheat.

I'm only taking the p1ss as I assume is Windy.

Never miss a fkn opportunity to slag the Kingdom is my motto!

No-one seriously thinks this chap was a drug cheat.

I'm only taking the p1ss as I assume is Windy.

Never miss a fkn opportunity to slag the Kingdom is my motto!

no i am the same but the way one or two posters were talking you would imagine he was lance armstrong :rolleyes:

Look, when you see what the Kerry boys do in training, you could not question any of that:

https://youtu.be/hTtz7A6AQ-c

Look, when you see what the Kerry boys do in training, you could not question any of that:

https://youtu.be/hTtz7A6AQ-c

marc o'shea at the start and paul galvin showing off his new haircut and tatoo.....good to see tadhg kennelly at the end of the video doing his sidney swans jig at the end ......taugh he was not involved with the panel this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

ah jeasus come on , he hardly did it on purpose for christ sake , its hardly on the same scale as the blood transfusions during the tour de france or maradona sniffing coke before a world cup game

He hardly did what on purpose? As far as I'm aware all that's been stated so far is that he failed a drugs test?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

dog_pig wrote: »
    He hardly did what on purpose? As far as I'm aware all that's been stated so far is that he failed a drugs test?

All we know is what the Kerry County Board issued in its statement. They general jist was that he failed a test, served his suspension and that Sport Ireland accepted that the rule violation was not intentional.

There's no reason not to take Kerry CB at their word (Sport Ireland have yet to issue its report, 13 months on) but it does drag up a lot of questions / issues around player testing.

The story only broke due to a tip off to a journalist according to The Sunday Game. Kerry CB couldn't say anything until Sports Ireland issued their report... I'm guessing they got a pardon to clarify things (with their statement) due to the story leaking.

13 months is a long time to be waiting on a report. The fact that a player can be serving a suspension while the issue hasn't been clarified or reported is a worrying road to be going down imo. There are plenty of governing bodies that try to keep things away from the public and not fully address issues, I hope the GAA aren't going down the same road.

It begs (or may start) unnecessary questions / speculation about players that are currently out of squads etc.

The other thing is that if players are going to be put in the public eye over breaches (and some fairly innocent ones will occur) then it's risking a lot to their personal / private work lives. Drug testing is generally for professionals (or elite amateurs with a chance of turning professional / gaining financially). Having a guy go into work with his name plastered on the papers over something like this isn't really on if it was a genuine mistake. If it affects their ability to earn a living then it's really not on. Not if he's getting nothing but pride and a bit of travel expenses for the GAA that are holding them to professional standards in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

That would require that they all use the same gels in the same dosage.

For example, Salamol is an inhaler, it is allowed to a certain extent, however usage & dosage depend on the individual and could cause a player to fail as was the case with Aidan O Mahoney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Confirmed as methylhexaneamine which is a classed as a stimulant hence the short ban. This has been known to be used as a masking agent by athletes in other sports in the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement