Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I heard Killian has a hip injury.

I'd heard he was over it and back training, but those type of injuries can easily flare up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    As a outsider would be interested to know what is thought of donaghy starting. Is it a dummy move? Would have thought his only role is as an impact sub these days. Seems to be an absolute ****load of wing forwards on the bench but lacking cover 13-15?

He was one of the two names I heard were burning it up in training the last while, so I'd really doubt it's a dummy team. The other name I heard was Sean O'Shea and the person I was talking to said he'd be in the panel ahead of Sheehan which was correct as well.

Personally I'd like a bit more attack-minded players in the half-forward line, the three selected aren't really attacking enough to my min as a unit and I think Cork are likely to be weak enough there.

Very few expected Fionn Fitz to keep his place after the last day - the talk was that Killian would be back and it would be between him and Shanahan.

Both Stephen O'Brien and BJK are better in the full-forward line to my mind so definitely not concerned about a lack of cover there.

Nice summation, learnt a bit. Though obrien was a wing forward. Haven't a clue about Kevin McCarthy to be honest. If Dublin don't win it out this year it will be Kerry, no other contenders. Probably won't learn much from the beating they will lay on cork but might watch it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dots1982 wrote:
    As a outsider would be interested to know what is thought of donaghy starting. Is it a dummy move? Would have thought his only role is as an impact sub these days. Seems to be an absolute ****load of wing forwards on the bench but lacking cover 13-15?

I wouldn't say it's a dummy move at all. His physical presence alone is a huge asset, I was delighted he stayed on, there's always a bit of cut to the game when he's playing, I think he's better as a starter TBH, but the locals know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I doubt there will be many in Kerry who would mind the idea of a PG - KD - JOD full forward line in September tbh.

Donaghy has plenty left in the tank to play full forward for the year I think. Having leaders like him on the pitch is a big bonus also

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I heard Donaghy is flying in training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

With Donaghy playing inside PG and JOD to both score a goal at 9/1 looks grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Enjoy the games tomorrow lads, safe travels to all attending

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Played well for most of the match, shooting accuracy was impressive. Too open when run at but they can work on that.

Atmosphere was a bit flat for a Munster Final.

That Cork team is as weak as I can remember from our neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Congrats on winning Munster ladies and gents... it looked like Real Madrid playing Cobh Ramblers today.

We are in desperate trouble and I'm sure you lot are not too happy about the lack of a challenge coming from Cork - ye are learning absolutely nothing from us anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Who won RTE MOTM?

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Congrats on winning Munster ladies and gents... it looked like Real Madrid playing Cobh Ramblers today.

We are in desperate trouble and I'm sure you lot are not too happy about the lack of a challenge coming from Cork - ye are learning absolutely nothing from us anymore.

I said it on another thread, I'd far prefer Cork to be the second best team in the country, don't care about Mayo or Donegal, and sure who likes Dublin or Tyrone apart from natives. I should say I'm married to a Beara woman so know the Jers, Ciaran O'Sullivan etc. but also have plenty of friends who work in Cork who love to swagger into work and dole it out after Kerry win a close encounter, or beating a Cork side that think they'll win...or go on the beer and take a day off the odd time Cork win. Today was a procession, no use for either county.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

dibs101 wrote: »
    Who won RTE MOTM?

surely paul geaney got it , 1-4 from play

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

surely paul geaney got it , 1-4 from play

Thought James O Donoghue stood out Most to be honest.
    Geaney goal was lucky, saved and rebounded off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Forge83 wrote: »
    Thought James O Donoghue stood out Most to be honest.
    Geaney goal was lucky, saved and rebounded off him.

That was my reading of it too... thought JOD was exceptional and his work rate going in the opposite direction was very encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

dibs101 wrote: »
    Who won RTE MOTM?

James O'Donoghue got it on the Sunday game anyway which I thought was fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Kerry Ladies won the Munster Final yesterday.

We've a lot of silverware in Munster this year. Senior, Junior, Minor, u17, u21, Club Senior/Intermediate/Junior and now the Ladies as well. Anything else to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

DDC1990 wrote: »

We've a lot of silverware in Munster this year. Senior, Junior, Minor, u17, u21, Club Senior/Intermediate/Junior and now the Ladies as well. Anything else to add?

School Cups

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

DDC1990 wrote: »

Dont they win munster regulary and then end up losing to Cork later in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

All Star goalkeeper Brendan Kealy quits Kerry panel

Sad to see Brendan go, don't think he has been fairly treated this season at all. On the balance of his league performances, he should be our number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Same As wrote: »
    All Star goalkeeper Brendan Kealy quits Kerry panel

Sad to see Brendan go, don't think he has been fairly treated this season at all. On the balance of his league performances, he should be our number 1.

Should he though?

Was he not awful against Dublin (the drawn game)

Not sure Kelly has done much wrong at all, has he?

What do you suggest?
    Rotating keepers in the Championship? Recipe for disaster.

Stick it out and support the panel. If Fitzmaurice feels Kelly has the upper hand on him at the minute, drop your pride (or arrogance dressed in pride) and be there, if you are needed.
    As great as a keeper he has been for the most part, better men than Kealy have lost there places at times in Kerry 15 and didn't give up and quit.

• Advertisement

What do you suggest?
    Rotating keepers in the Championship? Recipe for disaster.

The lesser of two evils imo. We'll have a sub keeper who has no senior intercounty experience under his belt, and possibly one who isn't even a regular between the posts at club level.

Fitz should have introduced these alternative keeper options at some point during the league once their All Ireland Club and U21 commitments had been fulfilled rather than mid season.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the risk now is that if anything happens to kelly, the 2 young lads have no experience what so ever.

both i guess however, could not have been involved in league due to the u-21s and crokes but its a risk. both are class keepers, i think Murphy will ultimately be our #1 for years to come.

The lesser of two evils imo. We'll have a sub keeper who has no senior intercounty experience under his belt, and possibly one who isn't even a regular between the posts at club level.

Fitz should have introduced these alternative keeper options at some point during the league once their All Ireland Club and U21 commitments had been fulfilled rather than mid season.

You do not rotate keepers, game to game, in Championship.

Pure stupidity. These are knockout games and the understanding between keepers and defence is now one of the most vital elements of the game. Name other top end counties who done that during a Championship campaign? .

You can do it in the league, as they did, but the "lesser of the 2 evils" (ie rotation v not rotating) is not rotating in the Championship. We saw how disastrous such a policy turned out to be my messing around with your keepers for Mayo last year. Cost them the All Ireland

If Kealy is petty enough to throw a tantrum because he is not being picked, why should Fitzmaurice bow to that.

the risk now is that if anything happens to kelly, the 2 young lads have no experience what so ever.

both i guess however, could not have been involved in league due to the u-21s and crokes but its a risk. both are class keepers, i think Murphy will ultimately be our #1 for years to come.

Of course that is the risk? But what is the solution. Fitzmaurice obviously prefers Kelly and has told Kealey that. The ball is then in Kealey's court. As much as Fitzmaurice would be desperate to avoid such a scenario as injury to Kelly, he can't force Kealy to stay.

Kealy is the one who is letting his county down here.

You do not rotate keepers, game to game, in Championship.

Pure stupidity. These are knockout games and the understanding between keepers and defence is now one of the most vital elements of the game. Name other top end counties who done that during a Championship campaign? .

You can do it in the league, as they did, but the "lesser of the 2 evils" (ie rotation v not rotating) is not rotating in the Championship. We saw how disastrous such a policy turned out to be my messing around with your keepers for Mayo last year. Cost them the All Ireland

If Kealy is petty enough to throw a tantrum because he is not being picked, why should Fitzmaurice bow to that.

Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

He's taken his ball and gone home...it's silly of him and should exclude him from future selection...if you can't count on a guy to be part of a squad... then he shouldn't be there

Ok

ok.

Erik Shin wrote: »
    He's taken his ball and gone home...it's silly of him and should exclude him from future selection...if you can't count on a guy to be part of a squad... then he shouldn't be there

ha! Great saying, haven't heard it in a while! Definitely doesn't apply to too many Kerry footballers who know the score of how competitive it is to keep your place!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Do you know him or are you just sticking your neck out?

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Do you know him or are you just sticking your neck out?

Don't know either of them at all. And if I did, I don't see what that has to do with anything relating to the issue at hand.

I am, like most, qualifying it by the fact that there is no other issues that have influenced his decision.(of course there could be though)
    It is more likely than not that the decision to quit was motivated by lack of Championship game time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement