Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Don't know either of them at all. And if I did, I don't see what that has to do with anything relating to the issue at hand.

I am, like most, qualifying it by the fact that there is no other issues that have influenced his decision.(of course there could be though)
    It is more likely than not that the decision to quit was motivated by lack of Championship game time.

I was just surprised for a fella who was so sensitive about the reaction to Joe Brolly and his completely public tantrums you seem fairly quick to stick the boot into petty Kealy for his private tantrum that so far as I know didn't actually happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

keane2097 wrote: »
    I was just surprised for a fella who was so sensitive about the reaction to Joe Brolly and his completely public tantrums you seem fairly quick to stick the boot into petty Kealy for his private tantrum that so far as I know didn't actually happen.

I dont see the comparisons?? Why would you take the topic off course by targeting the poster with a completely different scenario from a different thread that has zero to do with this.!

Brolly's strong airing of views is different to a what happened with Kealy.

When I said a suggestion of a tantrum, I didn't mean it in the literal sense (ie vocally having a song and dance about it). I merely meant that "it appears" he wasn't happy at losing his place 2 games in and left the panel due to it
    I qualified it by saying there may be other aspects that influenced his decision. We are allowed to speculate when the likelihood is the former scenario, in most people's opinion.

I dont see the comparisons?? Why would you take the topic off course by targeting the poster with a completely different scenario from a different thread that has zero to do with this.!

Brolly's strong airing of views is different to a what happened with Kealy.

When I said a suggestion of a tantrum, I didn't mean it in the literal sense (ie vocally having a song and dance about it). I merely meant that "it appears" he wasn't happy at losing his place 2 games in and left the panel due to it
    I qualified it by saying there may be other aspects that influenced his decision. We are allowed to speculate when the likelihood is the former scenario, in most people's opinion.

If you don't feel there's any contradiction between the two positions that's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Should he though?

Was he not awful against Dublin (the drawn game)

Not sure Kelly has done much wrong at all, has he?

What do you suggest?
    Rotating keepers in the Championship? Recipe for disaster.

Stick it out and support the panel. If Fitzmaurice feels Kelly has the upper hand on him at the minute, drop your pride (or arrogance dressed in pride) and be there, if you are needed.
    As great as a keeper he has been for the most part, better men than Kealy have lost there places at times in Kerry 15 and didn't give up and quit.

He should. IMO he's far better than Kelly. I'd have him as my fourth pick behing Ryan, Murphy and Kealy.

I dont think there's ever been a Kerry player who's got as much stick as him.

I dont see how someone cam win an All Star and then not play a championship game for the next two years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

If you don't feel there's any contradiction between the two positions that's fair enough.

No, I don't.

But I would be happy for you to lay it out for me. What exactly did I say about Brolly which completely contradicts what I said about Kealy!

The "if you are happy...............then fair enough" line is an easy way out from explaining a rather bizarre comparison!

• Advertisement

No, I don't.

But I would be happy for you to lay it out for me. What exactly did I say about Brolly which completely contradicts what I said about Kealy!

The "if you are happy...............then fair enough" line is an easy way out from explaining a rather bizarre comparison!

You defended one guy for nasty public tantrums because he's nice at work, you're subsequently attacking another guy for a petty tantrum that you made up, so I wondered if you knew Kealy as well or if you hold people to very different standards after they shake your hand and smile at you in a professional setting.

If you don't see a contradiction, that's fine - I'm sure I've done the same myself, just wanted to point it out.

cms88 wrote: »
    He should. IMO he's far better than Kelly. I'd have him as my fourth pick behing Ryan, Murphy and Kealy.

I dont think there's ever been a Kerry player who's got as much stick as him.

I dont see how someone cam win an All Star and then not play a championship game for the next two years

Was very surprised to see Kelly start the Clare game. Think the last ten minutes of the league final were totally overblown and Kealy had a good game.

Disappointing end to a good career.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Was very surprised to see Kelly start the Clare game. Think the last ten minutes of the league final were totally overblown and Kealy had a good game.

Disappointing end to a good career.

Whatever else, if it's about selection he should wait it out til the end of the year and leave without disrupting the panel. He's been a great servant down the years to be fair. It's a hard station but he knew the score at the start of this year, surely. Only one of them can play.
    As was said above though, maybe he has other reasons and if so that's 100% his own business and good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Sad to see him go but it's because of his kickouts when under pressure that this has come about.

Some don't think the end of the league final is an issue. I had my head in my hands watching his kickouts at that stage, thinking 'not again.

Other than that he's an excellent shot stopper but, in my opinion, his kickouts were an ongoing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

Who as a Kerry fan can say when a high ball goes into the square with either of the 2 keepers that they are not worried as to what is going to happen. I have watched Shane Ryan and can say he is a commanding presence around his square.

Both Kealy and Kelly are excellent shot stoppers but in GAA this is a small percentage of what makes a good keeper, Cluxton is not a particularly good shot stopper but his awareness is what makes him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

hmmm dunno, i dont think the GK position has been a big a problem over the last 5 years, as people are suggesting.

Kelly had 1 bad game (cant remember it exactly but we won it anyway) but apart from that, they both have never left us down. i think people had massively overrated the keeper "issue".

our problems are the tactics employed by fitzmaurice to mark the position as opposed to marking the space/area and this leaves massive holes in front of the square and you have for example, corner backs playing center back, wing backs playing corner back etc.

Shane12 wrote: »
    Who as a Kerry fan can say when a high ball goes into the square with either of the 2 keepers that they are not worried as to what is going to happen. I have watched Shane Ryan and can say he is a commanding presence around his square.

Both Kealy and Kelly are excellent shot stoppers but in GAA this is a small percentage of what makes a good keeper, Cluxton is not a particularly good shot stopper but his awareness is what makes him.

I#ve found it very odd that Kelly has never got the stick that Kealy has for some of the same things. Time will tell with Kelly but imo he was very lucky in 2014 to get away with the mistakes he made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Massive amount of revisionism and misinformed comment since the Kealy announcement. I've no bias in the goalkeeper debate over recent seasons but to me Kelly is clearly a better option, although I'd also add Shane Ryan could possibly be no.1 if he gets a chance.

Kealy just can't be relied upon under a high ball and certainly he has zero confidence in working shorter kickouts and the players around him know that too.
    He is a decent shot-stopper at his best but as someone mentioned above, that is no longer the biggest consideration with a keeper.

Someone mentioned the last 10 mins of the League final in April - I actually think this was the final straw for Fitzmaurice with Kealy as while he not the only one responsible, he went to pieces in the last 10 mins of that game and you just can't afford that at this level.
    There were 8 kickouts in that period and 6 of these were fairly terrible, including one that went straight out over the line on Cusack side (he does that too often) and another one that was lobbed way too high and only landed on the 45m line.
    He also inexplicably threw a ball on the ground in the small rectangle which was crazy, he hoofed away a clearance off his left (almost getting blocked down in the process!) straight to a Dublin player when all that he had to do was carry to his left and pass short or draw a free.
    The kickout that ended up with the Sheehan point was actually delivered straight to Niall Scully who dropped it/gets fouled by Maher and drops it, depending on your interpretation!! Either way, it was appalling stuff by Kealy and like I said, having reviewed it after the game I'm in no way surprised that Fitz went with Kelly for Munster campaign.

Kelly did ok in Killarney. Few short one's that could have been better judged but also plenty well-worked ones. He mainly hit the targets well on the longer kicks, down to the players outside also of course, who did good work. Maher mainly, along with Buckley and Barry fielding well off the bench. Kelly made a couple of good saves also. Didn't have a whole lot to do obviously but the 2 1 v 1's he had to stop, he saved them. Can't ask for more than that. I wouldn't say he's top class, but to me, bearing in mind the kickout situation, it's one call by Fitz I totally agree with.

Someone also brought up Kelly's errors in 2014..what errors? The goal by Andy Moran in the Mayo replay is probably what people are thinking of, but what happened there was Kelly actually caught the high ball but Kevin McLaughlin was cute enough to flick it out of his hands in the air and Moran palmed it in then. Possibly should have punched it clear, but it wasn't what I'd call a calamitous error. Kelly was solid out for most of that year I thought.

Massive amount of revisionism and misinformed comment since the Kealy announcement. I've no bias in the goalkeeper debate over recent seasons but to me Kelly is clearly a better option, although I'd also add Shane Ryan could possibly be no.1 if he gets a chance.

Kealy just can't be relied upon under a high ball and certainly he has zero confidence in working shorter kickouts and the players around him know that too.
    He is a decent shot-stopper at his best but as someone mentioned above, that is no longer the biggest consideration with a keeper.

Someone mentioned the last 10 mins of the League final in April - I actually think this was the final straw for Fitzmaurice with Kealy as while he not the only one responsible, he went to pieces in the last 10 mins of that game and you just can't afford that at this level.
    There were 8 kickouts in that period and 6 of these were fairly terrible, including one that went straight out over the line on Cusack side (he does that too often) and another one that was lobbed way too high and only landed on the 45m line.
    He also inexplicably threw a ball on the ground in the small rectangle which was crazy, he hoofed away a clearance off his left (almost getting blocked down in the process!) straight to a Dublin player when all that he had to do was carry to his left and pass short or draw a free.
    The kickout that ended up with the Sheehan point was actually delivered straight to Niall Scully who dropped it/gets fouled by Maher and drops it, depending on your interpretation!! Either way, it was appalling stuff by Kealy and like I said, having reviewed it after the game I'm in no way surprised that Fitz went with Kelly for Munster campaign.

Kelly did ok in Killarney. Few short one's that could have been better judged but also plenty well-worked ones. He mainly hit the targets well on the longer kicks, down to the players outside also of course, who did good work. Maher mainly, along with Buckley and Barry fielding well off the bench. Kelly made a couple of good saves also. Didn't have a whole lot to do obviously but the 2 1 v 1's he had to stop, he saved them. Can't ask for more than that. I wouldn't say he's top class, but to me, bearing in mind the kickout situation, it's one call by Fitz I totally agree with.

Someone also brought up Kelly's errors in 2014..what errors? The goal by Andy Moran in the Mayo replay is probably what people are thinking of, but what happened there was Kelly actually caught the high ball but Kevin McLaughlin was cute enough to flick it out of his hands in the air and Moran palmed it in then. Possibly should have punched it clear, but it wasn't what I'd call a calamitous error. Kelly was solid out for most of that year I thought.

I've no bias in the goalkeeper debate
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Ciarraithuaidh makes very good points. I'm not quoting as post was long but the league final wasn't the first time kealy cracked under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Kelly is awful under the high ball too is the problem!

munster87 wrote: »
    Kelly is awful under the high ball too is the problem!

Yet no one seems to talk about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I've no bias in the goalkeeper debate
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't..as in, I'm not from Kelly or Kealy's club, don't know either of them. I'm just calling it as I see it.

And by the way, Kelly is far better under a high ball than Kealy in my view based on all the evidence.
    It matters not now though, we better just hope Kelly performs and is actually pushed by Shane Ryan or Murphy even.

As I said I'd have absolutely no problem if Kelly got dropped for Ryan if Ryan was in better form. It would help to have a bit of stability in the position though, so hope Kelly can continue his decent form from Cork game and make the psoition his own for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

If Galway beat Donegal then do I understand it correctly in saying that we would have to face Galway in the quarter final?

This would be because Roscommon already played Galway in the provincial final so can't face them again in the quarter final.. that would leave Roscommon playing Mayo in the other QF (in all likelihood), with Kerry playing the winner of these two (if we beat Galway).

So the path would possibly be, if we were to make it through, Galway (QF), Mayo (SF) and Dublin (Final).

However if Donegal beat Galway next weekend I believe it will be an open draw for the quarter final, as Mayo have not faced Roscommon so far this year. In that situation it would be 50/50 between us getting Donegal or Mayo in the QF. I have to say I would prefer if we were to get Donegal in the QF in that situation, and then probably face Mayo in the SF, rather than face Mayo in the QF and face Roscommon or Donegal in the SF... the reason I say this is I believe Mayo in a SF would be a stiffer test than the alternative and I think it would be better for us, if we are to play Dublin in September, to have a natural taper upwards in games up to the final in terms of difficulty of opponent. I think facing Mayo in a QF and then either Roscommon or Donegal in the SF would be a bit of a step down between the QF and the the Final and I don't think that is the right way to prepare for a potential final against Dublin.

So I will be hoping Galway win next weekend, because if they don't we will be relying on a 50/50 draw to get the progressive tapering in difficulty of opponent. If Galway don't win I will have my fingers crossed for a Donegal QF in the draw.

• Advertisement

I don't..as in, I'm not from Kelly or Kealy's club, don't know either of them. I'm just calling it as I see it.

And by the way, Kelly is far better under a high ball than Kealy in my view based on all the evidence.
    It matters not now though, we better just hope Kelly performs and is actually pushed by Shane Ryan or Murphy even.

As I said I'd have absolutely no problem if Kelly got dropped for Ryan if Ryan was in better form. It would help to have a bit of stability in the position though, so hope Kelly can continue his decent form from Cork game and make the psoition his own for the rest of the year.

The fact you think Kelly is good under a high ball would say otherwie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Austin Stacks in real danger of going down to 2, wonder when that happened last.
    St Michaels/Foilmore continuing their rapid descent too, division 1 two years ago, division 4 next year

wonga77 wrote: »
    Austin Stacks in real danger of going down to 2, wonder when that happened last.
    St Michaels/Foilmore continuing their rapid descent too, division 1 two years ago, division 4 next year

Were there in 2009 amd 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

mystic86 wrote: »
    If Galway beat Donegal then do I understand it correctly in saying that we would have to face Galway in the quarter final?

This would be because Roscommon already played Galway in the provincial final so can't face them again in the quarter final.. that would leave Roscommon playing Mayo in the other QF (in all likelihood), with Kerry playing the winner of these two (if we beat Galway).

So the path would possibly be, if we were to make it through, Galway (QF), Mayo (SF) and Dublin (Final).

However if Donegal beat Galway next weekend I believe it will be an open draw for the quarter final, as Mayo have not faced Roscommon so far this year. In that situation it would be 50/50 between us getting Donegal or Mayo in the QF. I have to say I would prefer if we were to get Donegal in the QF in that situation, and then probably face Mayo in the SF, rather than face Mayo in the QF and face Roscommon or Donegal in the SF... the reason I say this is I believe Mayo in a SF would be a stiffer test than the alternative and I think it would be better for us, if we are to play Dublin in September, to have a natural taper upwards in games up to the final in terms of difficulty of opponent. I think facing Mayo in a QF and then either Roscommon or Donegal in the SF would be a bit of a step down between the QF and the the Final and I don't think that is the right way to prepare for a potential final against Dublin.

So I will be hoping Galway win next weekend, because if they don't we will be relying on a 50/50 draw to get the progressive tapering in difficulty of opponent. If Galway don't win I will have my fingers crossed for a Donegal QF in the draw.

From a Mayo POV I'd like to see Mayo v Kerry in the QF.

If Mayo are there they are coming of the back of three wins, unimpressive at times I know, but impressive at timms also.

Kerry have had two routine games and have been idle for 4 weeks.

Better chance to beat them in the QF than in the SF when they may have learned something v Donegal or Galway.

The fact you think Kelly is good under a high ball would say otherwie

In fairness he never said Kelly was good under a high ball, just that he thinks he's better than Kealy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

So it's Galway in the quarters. What do ye reckon. They seem to really the good with the bad like no other team. Great performance against Mayo followed by a total misfire in the Connacht final followed by a complete anhialation of Donegal. It's impossible to predict how this game might go.

Kerry will surely have too much experience and firepower for them overall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Donegal were horrific tonight, the manager should do the same as corks and resign immediately...
    Galway had a cakewalk tonight, absolutely no pointer to next week imo

Galway have a handful of super players but as a team they were made to look better than they are this evening. Kerry should be winnig with 5 or 6 points to spare imo

Honestly I'm not worried. Would be a pretty big shock if we're not in the final at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Honestly I'm not worried. Would be a pretty big shock if we're not in the final at this stage.

True but shocks do pop up every now and again and were bound to be rusty next Sunday. If we make it through next Sunday then we really should be looking at a final and then we'll see how good we really are.
    It's hard to know how good or bad Galway are. Impossible to gage on the games they've had so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement