Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

keane2097 wrote: »
    Honestly I'm not worried. Would be a pretty big shock if we're not in the final at this stage.

Lads that is as delirious a comment as is I am as a mayo supporter. The stats from mayo cork and Kerry cork are not massively different up to the 55th minute mark. Brace yourself for a rough ride but you should come through but I wouldn't put my house on it either .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Lads that is as delirious a comment as is I am as a mayo supporter. The stats from mayo cork and Kerry cork are not massively different up to the 55th minute mark. Brace yourself for a rough ride but you should come through but I wouldn't put my house on it either .

I find it absolutely deranged that people on this forum seem to be able to convince themselves that the belly tickling Kerry gave Cork and Mayo barely falling over the line after extra time somehow amount to similar performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I find it absolutely deranged that people on this forum seem to be able to convince themselves that the belly tickling Kerry gave Cork and Mayo barely falling over the line after extra time somehow amount to similar performances.

I'd agree with you but if you've perused the Mayo and All Ireland threads carefully,many many Mayo supporters are predicting our demise at the hands of Roscommon never mind the awful thoughts of an inevitable defeat at your hands if we manage to progress,myself included.Their physical and mental exertions have been significant thus far.

An important element of sports psychology has a portion of clutching at straws.:) We were awful defensively yesterday,our full back/line would be likely be destroyed by Donaghy and co.Changes must be made,our supposed sweeper system is a shambles.The sole positivity arose from the much malaligned forward line.

Your incredulity at any comparison in the relative performances/formlines is understandable but unless one takes some positivity from yesterday Mayo might as well throw their hat at it.I little understand our inability to push on against teams in periods of great supremacy.

Yet I may be clutching at straws/grounds for optimism but such is the irrationality of human nature.I remember well 2014 whence we barely got over the line against Cork and you guys did a job on Galway and we had an ultimately fruitless but nonetheless titanic struggle against yourselves.A significant impediment is our poor record against Kerry but as we all know anything can happen on a given day so if we manage to get over the line against Roscommon I will never back against this group of players out of stubborn county pride irrespective of the odds.The tank may be empty but I'm not entirely convinced there is not a big performance in them.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'd agree with you but if you've perused the Mayo and All Ireland threads carefully,many many Mayo supporters are predicting our demise at the hands of Roscommon never mind the awful thoughts of an inevitable defeat at your hands if we manage to progress,myself included.Their physical and mental exertions have been significant thus far.

An important element of sports psychology has a portion of clutching at straws.:) We were awful defensively yesterday,our full back/line would be likely be destroyed by Donaghy and co.Changes must be made,our supposed sweeper system is a shambles.The sole positivity arose from the much malaligned forward line.

Your incredulity at any comparison in the relative performances/formlines is understandable but unless one takes some positivity from yesterday Mayo might as well throw their hat at it.I little understand our inability to push on against teams in periods of great supremacy.

Yet I may be clutching at straws/grounds for optimism but such is the irrationality of human nature.I remember well 2014 whence we barely got over the line against Cork and you guys did a job on Galway and we had an ultimately fruitless but nonetheless titanic struggle against yourselves.A significant impediment is our poor record against Kerry but as we all know anything can happen on a given day so if we manage to get over the line against Roscommon I will never back against this group of players out of stubborn county pride irrespective of the odds.The tank may be empty but I'm not entirely convinced there is not a big performance in them.

But sure all I said is that it would be a surprise if we don't get to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

But sure all I said is that it would be a surprise if we don't get to the final.

Sorry I should have been a tad more concise,all I'm saying is that at this moment in time most posters would agree with you.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Sorry I should have been a tad more concise,all I'm saying is that at this moment in time most posters would agree with you.

Your grand there's nothing in your post that's off the wall, I was just defending myself against accusations of delirium really!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Any idea when they are confirming the fixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I suppose we can expect an unusual number of draws over the next two rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I suppose we can expect an unusual number of draws over the next two rounds.

"draws" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Even with 2 rounds of games left alot of the promotion/relegation spots are decided already. Its a very early finish for many teams that cant go up/down in the leagues and are out of championship for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

8 goals by Beaufort, that's U-10 level stuff! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Kerry v Galway at 2.00
    Roscommon v Mayo at 4.00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Honestly I'm not worried. Would be a pretty big shock if we're not in the final at this stage.

I know you know the in's and out's of punting...yer 4/6 in a place to reach the final, and I can't see anything wrong with that price, true price about 8/11 or so seems spot on. I'm not having a pop but can see why some took issue with the phrase about a sub 60% shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Anyone bought tickets yet? The ones on tickets.ie look only alright from what I've seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Anyone bought tickets yet? The ones on tickets.ie look only alright from what I've seen so far.

What is considered "alright"

There will be a lot of season tickets in the lower Cusack so only the edges seem to be on sale now.

Got some 311s after initially being offered 301s.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I know you know the in's and out's of punting...yer 4/6 in a place to reach the final, and I can't see anything wrong with that price, true price about 8/11 or so seems spot on. I'm not having a pop but can see why some took issue with the phrase about a sub 60% shot.

I think we're priced big v Galway and will probably be priced big if we meet Mayo as well.

8/11 looks would be a touch big for making the final since it gives Kerry a few outs with draws, ET, replays. Would have it maybe ~1.7 if Mayo win the other game.

I guess I make Kerry ~1.14 v Galway and ~1.5 v Mayo (probably being stingy here, would be on KY at that price) in the match odds so shave off a little for the 'to qualify element'. I suppose if Roscommon win we will be ~1.25-1.3 depending on how impressive they were. Might be even shorter, I'd have to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I had it 1.2 Galway (to qualify), 1.48 Mayo and 1.22 Ros, but obviously it's 75% to be Mayo. We differ on our Galway rating, probably unsurprisingly!

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I had it 1.2 Galway (to qualify), 1.48 Mayo and 1.22 Ros, but obviously it's 75% to be Mayo. We differ on our Galway rating, probably unsurprisingly!

Yeah looks like we are a couple of points apart there alright. Glad to see your other ratings are fairly in line.

Galway are a team that you can understand some variance in pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Am I right in thinking the last time Kerry were beaten by someone other than the eventual AI winners was Down in 2010?

And before that, Meath in 2000?

Kerry really don't fall to the "shock" result to lesser counties, its as rare as hen's teeth.

I can see Galway putting it up to them for 50-60 minutes before Kerry pull away. This is usually how it goes against Galway.

• Advertisement

Am I right in thinking the last time Kerry were beaten by someone other than the eventual AI winners was Down in 2010?

Kerry really don't fall to the "shock" result to lesser counties, its as rare as hen's teeth.

I can see Galway putting it up to them for 50-60 minutes before Kerry pull away. This is usually how it goes against Galway.

Yeah that stat is correct I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

No meath beat kerry in the semi final in 2001. Meath went on to lose that final to galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    No meath beat kerry in the semi final in 2001. Meath went on to lose that final to galway.

Sorry you are right, it was 2001. I sometimes get 2000 and 2001 mixed up as Galway played in both finals.

So 2010 and 2001 since the turn of the century. In the 90s they were beaten several times by counties who didn't win the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Sorry you are right, it was 2001. I sometimes get 2000 and 2001 mixed up as Galway played in both finals.

So 2010 and 2001 since the turn of the century. In the 90s they were beaten several times by counties who didn't win the AI.

Since the back door started it's only on two occasions that Kerry were knocked out by a team that did not go on to win.

Prior to 2001 cannot really be factored in.

Pretty amazing stat if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I don't think I've ever been anything like 7,178th in any online queue before! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Going to bring my wee man to a game in Croke park for the first time on Sunday. Given he was born and we live in Dublin, I don't suppose there's much hope of him being anything but a dub supporter but I would still like to start a tradition of going to games (I always envied other kids getting brought to games by their dad - my dad never had any interest) and enjoying going to see Kerry play with his old man.

So from those who grew up going to Croker with their old folks what were parts of the experience that made it extra special or stood out?

(He's six btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

quad_red wrote:
    So from those who grew up going to Croker with their old folks what were parts of the experience that made it extra special or stood out?

Winning All Irelands helped certainly. :P

I remember my first time in the Upper Tier vividly. It was an over-aweing experience. (We actually lost to Mayo that day though).

I think the whole day is exciting. Dressing up in the green and gold. The buzz of walking towards Croke Park.

Ye'll have a great day.

Also never give up on getting him to support the Kingdom!

Quote him John B three times a week and he'll be grand.

Being a Kerryman, in my opinion, is the greatest gift that God can bestow on any man. When you belong to Kerry you know you have a head start on the other fellow. In belonging to Kerry you belong to the elements, to the spheres spinning in the Heavens. You belong to History and Language and Romance and Ancient Song. It is almost unbearable being a Kerryman and it is an awesome responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

keane2097 wrote:
    Being a Kerryman, in my opinion, is the greatest gift that God can bestow on any man. When you belong to Kerry you know you have a head start on the other fellow. In belonging to Kerry you belong to the elements, to the spheres spinning in the Heavens. You belong to History and Language and Romance and Ancient Song. It is almost unbearable being a Kerryman and it is an awesome responsibility.

I don't disagree with you. Up there in the heavens, knowing all the history, the dance moves, the words to ancient songs and romantic too, if a woman would only give you a second look!!! unbearable indeed.
    It's all as useful to you as t1ts on a bull!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Junior Final & Minor Quarter Final fixed for a double header in Portlaoise on Saturday the 5th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement