Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you. Up there in the heavens, knowing all the history, the dance moves, the words to ancient songs and romantic too, if a woman would only give you a second look!!! unbearable indeed.
    It's all as useful to you as t1ts on a bull!!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Am I right in thinking the last time Kerry were beaten by someone other than the eventual AI winners was Down in 2010?

And before that, Meath in 2000?

Kerry really don't fall to the "shock" result to lesser counties, its as rare as hen's teeth.

I can see Galway putting it up to them for 50-60 minutes before Kerry pull away. This is usually how it goes against Galway.

Lost to Cork in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Lost to Cork in 2012

Not in the championship ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lost to Cork in 2012

They lost to Cork in 2002, 2006, 2008 and 2009 also.
    But that did not knock them out of the championship.

Only twice since the back door was introduced have the team that knocked Kerry out not won the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Since the back door started it's only on two occasions that Kerry were knocked out by a team that did not go on to win.

Prior to 2001 cannot really be factored in.

Pretty amazing stat if you ask me.

The last time Kerry were knocked out of the championship by a team who didnt get to the all ireland final was 1995.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Result this evening from the U21 County Final

Mid Kerry 0-15 Kenmare District 1-13

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/890301275547607041

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Pretty quiet in here for the week of 1/4 final.

Personnel-wise, I'd imagine we'll line out very similarly to the Cork game, possibly Donnchadh will get one more chance to prove his form after two underwhelming performances. Jack Savage hopefully has recovered from his appendix issue. Shane Murphy played County League vs Dingle last night so looks like Shane Ryan will be understudy to Kelly this weekend. Picking the 26 at this stage looks a difficult task, times like this I wished the 30 man panel was back in play again.

Lastly, would love to see Sean O Shea given a chance at some point this weekend, fella has buckets of ability and is made of the right 'stuff'.

Plonked in 306 of the Cusack so hopefully will have a decent view of a modest win - won't be as easy as many seem to be suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

I imagine Galway will start the game well with it being close at half time. Expect Kerry the win by 4 or 5 in the end.

I think Donegal that people are over rating Galway.

Then again wouldn't be the first time I've eaten my words.

Looking forward to getting back to Croke Park. Hopefully we'll have a few more days there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Lost to Cork in 2012

Meath was 2001

Ah, I remember it well :D(15 points)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Same As wrote: »
    Pretty quiet in here for the week of 1/4 final.

Personnel-wise, I'd imagine we'll line out very similarly to the Cork game, possibly Donnchadh will get one more chance to prove his form after two underwhelming performances. Jack Savage hopefully has recovered from his appendix issue. Shane Murphy played County League vs Dingle last night so looks like Shane Ryan will be understudy to Kelly this weekend. Picking the 26 at this stage looks a difficult task, times like this I wished the 30 man panel was back in play again.

Lastly, would love to see Sean O Shea given a chance at some point this weekend, fella has buckets of ability and is made of the right 'stuff'.

Plonked in 306 of the Cusack so hopefully will have a decent view of a modest win - won't be as easy as many seem to be suggesting.

Plus 1 on the Sean O Shea point. It would be nice to see fitzy gradually break him in. It might be a ideal game to give him a run near the end if the pressures off.

• Advertisement

Word is very positive about him inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Some interesting moves here from Fitzmaurice.

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/10027151/Kerry_V_Galway_Team_Announcement

Kevin McCarthy gone from 26 altogether. Buckley starting, Jack Barry starting. Fionn Fitz and Donnacha very lucky to hold their spots if you ask me.

Bench is strong looking in fairness which is good.

The team captained by Johnny Buckley is as follows:

1. Brian Kelly
    Killarney Legion
    2. Fionn Fitzgerald
    Dr Crokes
    3. Mark Griffin
    St Michaels-Foilmore
    4. Shane Enright
    Tarbert
    5. Peter Crowley
    Laune Rangers
    6. Tadhg Morley
    Templenoe
    7. Paul Murphy
    Rathmore
    8. David Moran
    Kerins O’Rahillys
    9. Jack Barry
    Na Gaeil
    10. Michael Geaney
    Dingle
    11. Johnny Buckley (C)
    Dr Crokes
    12. Donnchadh Walsh
    Cromane
    13. Paul Geaney
    Dingle
    14. Kieran Donaghy
    Austin Stacks
    15. James O’Donoghue
    Killarney Legion

Fir Ionaid:

16. Shane Ryan
    Rathmore
    17. Anthony Maher
    Duagh
    18. Stephen O’Brien
    Kenmare
    19. Jonathan Lyne
    Killarney Legion
    20. Jack Savage
    Kerins O’Rahillys
    21. Barry John Keane
    Kerins O’Rahillys
    22. Killian Young
    Renard
    23. Sean O’Shea
    Kenmare Shamrocks
    24. Tom O’Sullivan
    Dingle
    25. Darran O’Sullivan
    Glenbeigh-Glencar
    26. Brian Ó Beagaloich
    An Ghaeltacht

Mccarthy is meant to be hurt. Agree about Fionn and Donnchadh. How do you see it going CT?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Mccarthy is meant to be hurt. Agree about Fionn and Donnchadh. How do you see it going CT?

I can't see Kerry losing barring a massive off day, but that's not to say there's not vulnerabilities in that Kerry setup.
    Neither of the wing forwards are very good on the back foot and Buckley is more of a midfielder (although I agree with him starting).
    Fionn Fitz and Morley need to up it considerably from Munster final. All backs will need to be on their toes actually as Galway do have good forwards.
    Galway will need to either go more defensive than they have done or else monopolise possession. Either way, their defence doesn't appear to be good enough to hold Kerry on all form to date.

What team would you pick out of interest?

keane2097 wrote: »
    What team would you pick out of interest?

Well, look there's form and then there's looking down the line to what's coming. I understand that, but for example - I think after Maher's performance in Killarney it's very harsh to drop him. He was far better than Moran that day, but if it's picked on training games, then fair enough. Moran/Barry did well in League final also, so it's not a thrown together pairing. Buckley behind them should add to it also.
    I have seen nothing to alter my opinion (and the obvious fact I would have thought) that Fionn Fitz is a good footballer but a very average defender at the top level. Dublin or any decent team will target him, guaranteed. Even though it wouldn't be ideal either I'd have Young or even Brian Begley ahead of him. I also rate Gavin Crowley very highly, but he's not even in the squad.
    I don't know if it's a one-off but Morley looked a good bit off the pace in Killarney at times. We'll know more after Sunday. If he drops off in form, you can't afford to have Murphy wearing 10/12 which I'd love to do. If Morley picks it up again and you had Crowley-Morley-Young say going well in half back line, you could use Murphy is his roving role from 10/12. I would have O'Brien ahead of Donnacha then. He would thrive in space.
    I think there's far too little mention of the fact that it's a bit of a joke that Donaghy is still starting. I know people think there's weakness in the Dublin fullback line (if it comes to that ) but he has got very little change out of McMahon, Cooper etc in recent years so I don't see much advantage there.
    I don't know what form Darran Sulivan is in, but would be ideal to name him 13 and drift around forward line, leaving JOD/Geaney inside.
    It'll probably never happen but I'd like to see:

1.Kelly
    2.Enright
    3.Griffin
    4.Begley

5.Crowley
    6.Morley
    7.Young

10.Murphy

8.Moran/Maher (can take either/or)
    9.Barry

11.Buckley

13.Darran
    12.Stephen O'Brien

14.Geeaney
    15.JOD

Killian not training this week according to the other place, Fionn very ropey in the two games so far. I was dying the day of the munster final so didn't notice Morley but I'd like to think he'll be ok.

I suppose Donaghy in there takes minding and you can't double mark them all then. Also do think his mentality is an asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Happy with the team.

Maher unlucky to lose out but Jack Barry's pace against a quick Galway midfield will be important.

Happy to see Buckley back. He could be a really important part of the team for the rest of the year. He shut Chrissy McKaigue down in the All Ireland Club Final while also having an important attacking role. Perhaps a job on Paul Conroy might be on the cards.

I'm surprised that Shanahan has slipped all the way off the panel considering how important he was during the league. Fionn is fast and a very good organizer at the back. However he keeps pushing lads in the back giving up easy frees.

Can't wait for Sunday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Regarding Donaghy it's true that he has never really gotten any change out of the Dublin full back line. Does anybody think his role is a bit different this year though? Against Cork he won a tonne of ball in front of his man and they weren't raining Hail Mary's in on top of him like they used to. The ball in was much more measured. I though it worked very well and he laid off some great ball for JOD and Geaney.
    I don't think any full back in the country will want to face either as he is a PITA to mark so it's worth keeping him in there.

mickeyk wrote:
    Regarding Donaghy it's true that he has never really gotten any change out of the Dublin full back line. Does anybody think his role is a bit different this year though? Against Cork he won a tonne of ball in front of his man and they weren't raining Hail Mary's in on top of him like they used to. The ball in was much more measured. I though it worked very well and he laid off some great ball for JOD and Geaney. I don't think any full back in the country will want to face either as he is a PITA to mark so it's worth keeping him in there.

Donaghy is the plan for Mayo I'd say.

For Dublin we go with Geaney and JOD and 4 workers like we did in the two league games.

Kevin McCarthy, Donnacha, Mikey and Paul Murphy at 11 with Killian coming into the back line.

An awful lot of football to be played before then but if you are going to win the All Ireland you have to be prepared this far in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think Donaghy would do well on the Dublin full back line. To some degree he'll do well on any full back, trick is trying to stop the perfect ball into him.

I still think Tyrone had the right idea with him a couple of years ago. When he was sandwiched between the two boys they had the right formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Stoner wrote: »
    I think Donaghy would do well on the Dublin full back line. To some degree he'll do well on any full back, trick is trying to stop the perfect ball into him.

I still think Tyrone had the right idea with him a couple of years ago. When he was sandwiched between the two boys they had the right formula.

The Dublin full back line have coped relatively well with the Donaghy threat in recent years whereas the less said re our coping ability for same threat in the closing moments of the 2014 semi final and subsequent replay the better.

As DDC1990 said the Donaghy threat is targeted at the vulnerabilities of our full back line if we both manage to pull through tomorrow.

I think one of the most important elements of Donaghy's presence is that it gives Geaney and James great space. It also takes the most physical marker on the team away from the two boys allowing them to cut wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

You wouldnt pick Donaghy against one of the most suspect full back lines around?
    Jeez Louise- courses and horses and the word for must come to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Its hard to figure out the mood in kerry at the moment its Dublin we want, Tomorrow is another step towards that day,there is no great interest I don't even know if there is a lot going to it I hope the football's turn up and do the job its all about the big day in September, there is seriously talented players in kerry at the moment, we expect them to win and win pulling up, enjoy the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Safe journey to all travelling tomorrow. This might be tighter than people think.

Ciarraí Abú.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

As Keane might say, that was a bit of a belly rub. Didn't see anything from Mayo or Roscommon that should worry Kerry either. Roll on September

dobman88 wrote: »
    As Keane might say, that was a bit of a belly rub. Didn't see anything from Mayo or Roscommon that should worry Kerry either. Roll on September

Tickle.

They didn't even train this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

dobman88 wrote: »

The best of both teams wouldn't bother a ladies football team!

Appalling display of football today. Refunds all round!

• Advertisement

The best of both teams wouldn't bother a ladies football team!

Appalling display of football today. Refunds all round!

6ca34-kissy2beccentric.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement