Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

The best of both teams wouldn't bother a ladies football team!

Appalling display of football today. Refunds all round!

:pac: job done is what is was about today. Good luck with that refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The best of both teams wouldn't bother a ladies football team!

Appalling display of football today. Refunds all round!
    Self professed "Quiet fellow," roars for refund in Internet shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Self professed "Quiet fellow," roars for refund in Internet shocker

Jack savage looks like a classy enough prospect for the future. I wonder what's his best position?
    Stephen O'Brien was very dangerous when he came on but could he be destined for the impact sub role?
    We badly need JOD back to full fitness.
    I'm not yet convinced that Jack Barry is a better option at midfield than Maher.
    Kelly looked steady in goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Jack savage looks like a classy enough prospect for the future. I wonder what's his best position?
    Stephen O'Brien was very dangerous when he came on but could he be destined for the impact sub role?
    We badly need JOD back to full fitness.
    I'm not yet convinced that Jack Barry is a better option at midfield than Maher.
    Kelly looked steady in goal.

O'Brien just cant be relied upon to make the right decision-some pace though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There was a strong sense that Savage was penciled in to start on the 40 in the Munster final before his appendix flared up. That's where he mostly plays for the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

O'Brien just cant be relied upon to make the right decision-some pace though

He runs into trouble a bit but you're a bit hard on him I think. He has done great this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

O'Brien is suffering from a case of the Darran O'Sullivans I think - having his pace off the bench is huge and he can easily rack up some scores after coming on before the opposition react to it - I'm not sure did Galway move anybody on him yesterday but given his showings so far this year, you can be guaranteed opposition like Tyrone or Dublin would be planning for his arrival and reacting to it.

Thought Johnny Buckley was very good yesterday although he got caught for pace a few times when Galway started running from deep in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

keane2097 wrote: »
    He runs into trouble a bit but you're a bit hard on him I think. He has done great this year.

Hmm look I think his pace makes a great impact from the bench but thats where he belongs and Fitz seems to be in agreement.

Yeah I have heard that Savage would have been at 11 against Cork but for the appendix op also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

That was a strange game.

Galway were kicking angled ball into the corners and winning it and then cutting back inside through traffic with no runners ariving.

Some good scores but if they had more support lines they would have caused wreck.

Game fizzled out after the goal really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Hmm look I think his pace makes a great impact from the bench but thats where he belongs and Fitz seems to be in agreement.

Yeah I have heard that Savage would have been at 11 against Cork but for the appendix op also.

The issue with Stephen is that he is great going forward towards the opposition goal but if he is put on the back foot and has to defend he can struggle because his tackling technique is very poor and he tends to give away a lot of frees. I don't have any stats but I would imagine that by comparison with a lot of the other options in the half-forward line, his frees conceded and turnovers won figures are very low. As against that he has scored 1-6 off the bench so far this year in about a game and a half (came off the bench in both the Cork and Clare game and came on about 5 minutes into the 2nd half yesterday) Overall I think a lot of this is probably related to the fact that he is more of a natural corner-man than a half-forward.

On the match yesterday I thought it was very much a typical quarter-final performance by Kerry under Fitzmaurice. There was a definite rustiness in the first 10 minutes with 3 or 4 unforced errors. After that I thought it looked like a performance from a side who never felt as Galway were ever going to beat them.

On Galway I thought they were poor enough - the fact that they conceded the Kerry kickouts in the first half was manna from heaven for Kerry. Their attempted defending of Donaghy was clueless - not just because they tried to stick a "big" man on him but because they made zero effort whatsoever to put any sort of pressure on Kerry's kickers who could take all the time in the world to look up steady themselves and measure the kicks into Donaghy to perfection. Moran's kick for the goal is the perfect example - look how much time and space he has in the middle of the field to measue the kick to perfection. It was the same for the ball Crowley put in from the wing that Donaghy fisted over - Crowley in acres of space and zero pressure whatsoever on him. This was just rank bad play from Galway - they knew that high balls to Donaghy were always going to be a major threat yet made no sort of effort in terms of cutting off (or at least putting some sort of pressure on) those kicking the ball. Any sort of half-decent/well-organised side is going to do that as a matter of course when Donaghy is on the pitch.

Roll on the semi-final - both Roscommon and Mayo looked 2 sides with a hell of a lot of weaknesses to my mind - very much a draw a fair result game as neither side deserved to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Good news on the black card front.

We have 3 guys (Jack Barry, Donnacha and Lyne) on 2 black cards, facing a suspension in their next game if they pick up another one.

However, according to the Irish Times that doesn't apply to All Ireland Finals so the lads would miss the first League Game instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Good news on the black card front.

We have 3 guys (Jack Barry, Donnacha and Lyne) on 2 black cards, facing a suspension in their next game if they pick up another one.

However, according to the Irish Times that doesn't apply to All Ireland Finals so the lads would miss the first League Game instead.

Read that article, they said if Connolly returned for the Semi then he would be tethering on a suspension... does that not contradict what it said about it not carrying into the final. Am I missing something?

PARlance wrote:
    Read that article, they said if Connolly returned for the Semi then he would be tethering on a suspension... does that not contradict what it said about it not carrying into the final. Am I missing something?

Yup contradictory alright.

Think it's fair enough. It would be rough enough to miss the final based on 2 black cards in the league.

Good luck to the Minors and Juniors today in Portlaoise. Not a bad Kerry crowd around. Fine queue for the Deli in Supervalu anyway!

1-11 to 1-5 up at half time in the Minor game.

Blitzed to an early lead then took the foot off the gas totally. Stepped it up again before half time and looked in complete control, but a free dropped short and the Kerrt defence were asleep. Louth full forward got it and stuck it in the back of the net.

Only 6 in it now when really we should be out the gate a long time ago. 15-20 poonts a better team.

Kerry won the Minor Quarter Final 1-22 to 2-9.

Good spread of scorers. Clifford more a provider today. Shot everything in the second half off his bad leg for the craic. Ridiculously gifted individual.

His speed would be my only major concern.

Kerry lead 1-8 to 0-7 at half time in the Juniors. Not much in it. Kerry started strongly. Got a lucky goal after Cox robbed the Meath back coming out with the ball and stuck it away. Meath dominated then for 10 minutes and tacked on 4 or 5 points. Kerry finished stronger with 2 in a row.

Referee allowing a lot of rough tackling from both sides. Kerry could have had 4 or 5 frees in front of the posts. Benefited Kerry for the goal though, with a hard tackle from Cox causing the turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Kerry lead 1-8 to 0-7 at half time in the Juniors. Not much in it. Kerry started strongly. Got a lucky goal after Cox robbed the Meath back coming out with the ball and stuck it away. Meath dominated then for 10 minutes and tacked on 4 or 5 points. Kerry finished stronger with 2 in a row.

Referee allowing a lot of rough tackling from both sides. Kerry could have had 4 or 5 frees in front of the posts. Benefited Kerry for the goal though, with a hard tackle from Cox causing the turnover.

Sounds like Meath aren't afraid to put it up to them, from Radio Kerry commentary at least anyway.

Sounds like Meath aren't afraid to put it up to them, from Radio Kerry commentary at least anyway.

Meath defending with 13 behind the ball and counter attacking really effectively. Their number 15 has a real sweet strike from places balls.

A farcical situation occurred where Meath's sub (number 13) came on and shouldered 2 Kerry players in the chest leading to a pushing match. Jack McGuire and the Meath full forward were booked and 13 got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Are the Kerry all-ireland semis on the 20th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Congrats to the juniors. Minors conceded more than they would have liked so plenty to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

tanko wrote: »
    Are the Kerry all-ireland semis on the 20th?

Senior game would be anyway, so presume minors will be the curtain-raiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Fair play to the Juniors. 3 in a row an excellent achievement.

Would love to see the Junior Championship taken a little bit more seriously by others as it's bordering uncompetitive now, particularly Ulster counties and Dublin. Has offered a decent segway into the senior set up for the likes of Maher, Morley, Brendan O Sullivan etc

Same As wrote: »

Would love to see the Junior Championship taken a little bit more seriously by others as it's bordering uncompetitive now, particularly Ulster counties and Dublin. Has offered a decent segway into the senior set up for the likes of Maher, Morley, Brendan O Sullivan etc

Looking at the side yesterday, you'd imagine there's a fair few lads who will be called up to the seniors again or in the future.

With U21 going to U20, it's going to become even more invaluable in terms of bringing players through/developing them for the seniors.

If other counties are so foolish, that they can't see the evident benefits of it, so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Same As wrote: »

The divisional structure in Kerry gives Kerry a great advantage at this level.
    Some guys playing for junior clubs in Kerry get the chance to play with and against senior players for a few games a year.
    And thus your junior panel can be very experienced.

If other counties offered their junior club players the opportunity than Kerry does they may be far more interested in it at a inter county level

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Five or Six of the Dublin lads that played yesterday have a Junior all Ireland
    Cooper, O'Gara, Daly, Flynn and I think Fitzsimmons.

It certainly helped to develop the manager and about 6 of the squad too, Bastic has one as well. I agree that other counties are missing a trick with it including Dublin

However having senior intercounty players to select from is interesting, the kerry system is probably better , but there are different takes on Junior football in different counties, it gives Kerry an advantage, but I wouldn't say that's why it's set up that way.

The under 21s seems to be where lads are being selected from now in most counties.

The divisional structure in Kerry gives Kerry a great advantage at this level.
    Some guys playing for junior clubs in Kerry get the chance to play with and against senior players for a few games a year.
    And thus your junior panel can be very experienced.

If other counties offered their junior club players the opportunity than Kerry does they may be far more interested in it at a inter county level

Yeah and despite the divisional structure making a world of sense, no other counties seem in any sort of rush to implement a similar system. Rank stupidity imo.

In most counties, anyone who is not part of the senior intercounty team is eligible to play for the junior team so the divisional aspect shouldn't affect matters that much. The only counties where players from senior clubs are ineligible for the intercounty junior team are Kerry, Cork, Mayo, Dublin and Meath and possibly Galway.

Players from Senior clubs are eligible to play for the Juniors as long as they don't play Senior Club championship right?

We had a couple of lads from the Stacks and the Narries on last years team right?

Michael O'Donnell from the Stacks JC O'Connor for the Narries.

I might have the exact rule incorrect. It might be County Championship rather than club championship.

Players from Senior clubs are eligible to play for the Juniors as long as they don't play Senior Club championship right?

We had a couple of lads from the Stacks and the Narries on last years team right?

Michael O'Donnell from the Stacks JC O'Connor for the Narries.

I might have the exact rule incorrect. It might be County Championship rather than club championship.

Yeah - I think it's county championship as opposed to club championship. I just used senior teams as short-hand it used to be so relatively infrequent for players from senior clubs to take part for a long time.

Courtney from Crokes as the sub-sub goal-keeper is the example for this year. Jordan Kiely was part of the panel in 2015. The fact that the eligible lads from senior clubs are willing to be involved is surely related to the fact that they see it as a serious chance of winning silverware plus it's clear that the senior management have been keeping a very keen eye on the juniors the last while when you look at the lads called into training/being given a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Stoner wrote: »
    The under 21s seems to be where lads are being selected from now in most counties.

maybe that is a factor in why our under 21 set up has been poor for the last 10 years!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement