Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Good interview here with Paul Geaney,talking about his brief hurling career with Kerry and Kilmoyley

https://aib.ie/gaa/blog/2017/07/paul_geaney_playing_under_anthony_daly_young_paidi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Mayo very strong today. Roscommon were awful but serious intensity from the Mayo forwards on the Roscommon defenders coming out. Killed the game off swiftly as well.

Will be a right battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Will be a right battle.

:pac: lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Some highlights from the Minor game on shortly on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the way the Mayo lads are talking now, we may as well not turn up for the semi final, no way they are going to be beaten by an average, overrated Kerry they reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

the way the Mayo lads are talking now, we may as well not turn up for the semi final, no way they are going to be beaten by an average, overrated Kerry they reckon!

Which Mayo lads would this be then? Nobody in the Mayo thread is talking like that.

Looking a bit closer at the matchups I think our half forwards against their half backs could be a big problem in terms of pace. I wouldn't be surprised to see Murphy at 11 and Killian Young in. Perhaps Fionn acting as the sweeper.

If we are looking to go Man to Man for a while, the matchups will be very interesting.

Maher and Moran for midfield. Moran on Parsons and Maher on Seamus O'Shea.

In the backs i'd have Enright on Andy Moran. Mark Griffin on Aidan O'Shea. Killian Young on Cillian O'Connor. Fionn on Diarmuid O'Connor. Crowley on Doherty. Morley on McLoughlin. Murphy at 11 would be free to track the runs from Keegan, Boyle and Durcan all of whom have too much pace for our half forwards.

The only thing is, Mayo are going to have to sacrifce a player in some area to double mark Donaghy inside. They might try to do what Dublin do and go with 1 recognized midfielder and drop Seamie O'Shea back in front of Star. They may drop one of their forwards (Most likely Andy Moran) for Vaughan (who had a great game) and he would take up the role in front of sweeper.

This would leave Mayo with 2 inside forwards; Aidan O'Shea and Cillian O'Connor giving them a direct threat as well as a running threat.

While they love Andy Moran, I think that would be their best course of action and reserve his impact for the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We do love Andy. Me more than most. It has been a debate all year whether he's best used starting or coming on and I've firmly been in the starting camp. I don't think Rochford will drop him but for the first time this year, I think an impact sub is a real option, still not my preferred one, but I do see a lot of merit in it. He had a stormer against you in the league and on that basis I alone I think he starts but I just think he loses a little something in Croke Park.

Some of the match ups should be great. I can't see us dropping a midfielder into the hole. I think we'll try to swarm the defence with Diarmuid O'Connor, Higgins, Vaughan helping out in front of Donaghy. I think we'll stick Harrison on him.

If we can get Keegan, Durcan, Boyle, Vaughan, Higgins running alongside DO'C and McLoughs with the odd burst from Aidan then I think we'll give you a fair few headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    In the backs i'd have Enright on Andy Moran. Mark Griffin on Aidan O'Shea. Killian Young on Cillian O'Connor. Fionn on Diarmuid O'Connor. Crowley on Doherty. Morley on McLoughlin. Murphy at 11 would be free to track the runs from Keegan, Boyle and Durcan all of whom have too much pace for our half forwards.

I think most of those match ups sound very good. Looking at Enright the last day he seems to have bulked up a bit, but if he's hasn't I think Moran might be too strong for him. Griffin on AOS could be very good too.

PARlance wrote:
    If we can get Keegan, Durcan, Boyle, Vaughan, Higgins running alongside DO'C and McLoughs with the odd burst from Aidan then I think we'll give you a fair few headaches.

Who is going to drop out to accommodate those players? That's kind of what I was getting at with Andy on the bench. You want as many of those fast strong runners on as possible.

Unless you drop Seamie and go with Vaughan/Keegan named at midfield with Parsons- but SoS is after playing his best game all year. Doherty is probably your best worker in the half forward line and extremely important to the team now.

Who is going to make way for Keegan?

Tough choices, but if there is one player who has to make way from the starting 15 from the last day, then for me Andy makes way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Where to fit Keegan in is a major headache alright now for Mayo. And they always say never change a winning team.

I know this will sound like sacrilege to some people, but maybe the best thing is to leave him on the bench until we see how the game is going and then swap out any underperforming players.

If starting him, personally I'd put him on JOD. Another option is to put him on one of the Kerry half forwards who is not the best at tracking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If ever there was a game for Paul Murphy in the half forward line this must be it.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Who is going to drop out to accommodate those players? That's kind of what I was getting at with Andy on the bench. You want as many of those fast strong runners on as possible.

Unless you drop Seamie and go with Vaughan/Keegan named at midfield with Parsons- but SoS is after playing his best game all year. Doherty is probably your best worker in the half forward line and extremely important to the team now.

Who is going to make way for Keegan?

Tough choices, but if there is one player who has to make way from the starting 15 from the last day, then for me Andy makes way.

Fair point but I don't think we'll go without 2 inside forwards and I don't think think Aidan will be thrown in there in place of Andy. I can't see much change to Andy & Cillian inside with Aidan dropping in on occasion and Cillian playing a little deeper when he does.

Who makes way for Keegan is the big question. I would have to say it'd be for Seamie unfortunately, despite his good performance. Purely on yesterday's game alone, a straight swap for Durcan would be a consideration but based on everything else, it would be madness.

So, pretty much the same team with Lee coming in for Seamie. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have him on the bench to come in alongside Maher.

Aidan playing full forward would be a positive for Kerry I think. Seamus being dropped is not something I imagine Fitzmaurice would be hoping for.

Roscommon's inability to kick the ball to midfield was the red line issue yesterday. You would expect Kerry to do a lot better on their own kickouts. If Mayo decide to play a sweeper it will be harder to press up on Kerry kick outs, and if Mayo allow Kerry to get short ones away with any regularity it will be good night Irene.

I guess Kerry will push up to try and see just how comfortable Clarke is picking out a man. We'll be confident enough about doing well enough on Mayo's long ones to cause damage. Whenever Mayo get possession from their own kick outs we'll probably get 12 behind the ball and test Mayo's ability to work chances from unbroken play, which is questionable.

If we can avoid coughing up loads of ball in the tackle we should be comfortable enough. I think if Mayo play a sweeper throughout we will win easy, if they roll the dice and push up it could be a great game.

All assuming the fairly stark malaise they have displayed in their seven championship games is gone now, which I suppose is a pretty big assumption.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Aidan playing full forward would be a positive for Kerry I think. Seamus being dropped is not something I imagine Fitzmaurice would be hoping for.

Roscommon's inability to kick the ball to midfield was the red line issue yesterday. You would expect Kerry to do a lot better on their own kickouts. If Mayo decide to play a sweeper it will be harder to press up on Kerry kick outs, and if Mayo allow Kerry to get short ones away with any regularity it will be good night Irene.

I guess Kerry will push up to try and see just how comfortable Clarke is picking out a man. We'll be confident enough about doing well enough on Mayo's long ones to cause damage. Whenever Mayo get possession from their own kick outs we'll probably get 12 behind the ball and test Mayo's ability to work chances from unbroken play, which is questionable.

If we can avoid coughing up loads of ball in the tackle we should be comfortable enough. I think if Mayo play a sweeper throughout we will win easy, if they roll the dice and push up it could be a great game.

All assuming the fairly stark malaise they have displayed in their seven championship games is gone now, which I suppose is a pretty big assumption.

I think we'll push up on every kickout. Have been doing so all year. We'll play a sweeper too, the two can be done together.

Clarke has come on leaps and bounds with his kicking but Kerry is going to be a whole other test. If we were to bring Lee in for Seamie then Aidan will be needed in MF for our kickouts. We would be losing some fielding strength with his brother gone.

LeysOLQ.jpg?1

I imagine the sides might line up like this, with Vaughan sweeping back in front of Donaghy and Keegan free to roam.

Crowley sweeping back for Kerry with Murphy marking the runners from deep and meeting them around the middle. He'd also be tasked with making sure Keegan didn't get up the field free - with Keegan doing the same to Murphy.

This is also assuming Andy Moran doesn't start. If Moran starts - Enright would go mark him with Crowley sliding over to mark Doherty. It might leave someone like Mark Griffin free though because AOS would have to move out to midfield.

I'm thinking Buckley starts over Mikey Geaney with his performance against Galway. That gives us a height advantage over Durcan, but a serious speed disadvantage.

Thoughts?

Croke Park surface looking very questionable there.

Just can't see us playing without Andy and Cillian inside. Aidan has done most of his good work out the field floating between MF-HF, with short stints closer in. Who would you task to mark him if so? Crowley?

PARlance wrote: »
    Croke Park surface looking very questionable there.

Just can't see us playing without Andy and Cillian inside. Aidan has done most of his good work out the field floating between MF-HF, with short stints closer in. Who would you task to mark him if so? Crowley?
    If Andy is playing then Enright covers Andy, Crowley covers Doherty and Griffin sticks with Aidan.

Many people believe Griffin is actually better out the field, so he might stick with AOS even around the middle. Otherwise Maher will switch onto him at midfield and Griffin sweep back.

This is all assuming Killian Young comes back in and Murphy is named at 11. If we go with 6 conventional defenders it makes it much harder to predict what way we will match up, with Enright likely matched up with Cillian O'Connor which was a disaster in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Pretty disappointed with Season Ticket allocation for this one. Poncho at the ready in Row G

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Same As wrote: »
    Pretty disappointed with Season Ticket allocation for this one. Poncho at the ready in Row G

We were in AA for the league final, W for 1-4 final and now K for semi final. If we get to the final I might be a steward:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Kerry thread gone very quiet I see.

Flying in under the radar I suppose. Never a good sign for the rest of us.

Does it matter of the number has already been inputted into the GRMA system or is the money coming from that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Any of ye ever have a look at Mayogaablog? Some craic. The bitterness and delusion from a sizeable proportion of them is hilarious. A lot of them struggling to get over the 2014 game still.
    No introspection though, it was all the referee and Kerry being "cynical" that lost it for them apparently. 😂

Any of ye ever have a look at Mayogaablog? Some craic. The bitterness and delusion from a sizeable proportion of them is hilarious. A lot of them struggling to get over the 2014 game still.
    No introspection though, it was all the referee and Kerry being "cynical" that lost it for them apparently. ��

Sounds like it would be bad for the brain. The depth of the depravity of Cormac Reilly's performance in '14 is getting worse as the years go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

No introspection though, it was all the referee and Kerry being "cynical" that lost it for them apparently. 😂

The reports are great, but there's only a handful of level headed comments each time and it would fry your brain trying to seep through all the deluded and irrational comments to find them.

As a mayo fan I've never seen such a proportion of fans to completely overhype the side pre-match and at the same time pillar them completely after a loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Sounds like it would be bad for the brain. The depth of the depravity of Cormac Reilly's performance in '14 is getting worse as the years go by.

You wouldn't believe some of the stuff you read there. Complaining about 2014 is honestly some of the more reasonable stuff when all is said

"Kerry have no-one outside of donaghy" despite multiple all stars in the team!!

I saw a comment yesterday about Donaghy being completely finished and 34 is too old, and - without a hint of irony -in the next sentence saying andy moran will be mayos go to man! !! (Less than 3 months away from his 34th birthday!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The county of 101 excuses ranging from venues to refs to curses to emails from players.
    They havent won an AI in 50 or so years because they've not been good enough and they have lacked the balls and/or in-game intelligence when the chips have been down.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

jr86 wrote: »
    You wouldn't believe some of the stuff you read there. Complaining about 2014 is honestly some of the more reasonable stuff when all is said

"Kerry have no-one outside of donaghy" despite multiple all stars in the team!!

I saw a comment yesterday about Donaghy being completely finished and 34 is too old, and - without a hint of irony -in the next sentence saying andy moran will be mayos go to man! !! (Less than 3 months away from his 34th birthday!!)

Yeah some of the posters over there are around 10 or 12 years old, if you want the real Mayo fans perspective drop over to the Mayo thread.

The county of 101 excuses ranging from venues to refs to curses to emails from players.
    They havent won an AI in 50 or so years because they've not been good enough and they have lacked the balls and/or in-game intelligence when the chips have been down.

Coffee is for closers Gill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

PARlance wrote: »
    Coffee is for closers Gill.

Yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement