Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

keane2097 wrote:
    Sounds like it would be bad for the brain. The depth of the depravity of Cormac Reilly's performance in '14 is getting worse as the years go by.

Shocking, they'll be renaming him Kerry Reilly next, that's where these things end up Keane!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Stoner wrote: »
    Shocking, they'll be renaming him Kerry Reilly next, that's where these things end up Keane!

We need to get a few Limerick and Clare refs onto the Championship panel and set up with clubs in Tralee as the next step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

franklyon wrote: »
    Yeah some of the posters over there are around 10 or 12 years old, if you want the real Mayo fans perspective drop over to the Mayo thread.

Yeah agree, the majority of comments from mayo supporters on this site are very level headed and genuine. The blog is sadly just a free for all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

I watched the Mayo Roscommon replay in a small pub in Clare with a family from Mayo. We were the only people in the pub. They were all complaining before the game started, complaints ranging from the choice of ref (sure he hates Mayo, we haven't a hope) to the fact there was a concert and it would have ruined the pitch for the Mayo players but wouldn't affect the Roscommon players. Non stop complaining.

Then the fun started when they got the second goal and the game was effectively over. Some aul lad that was sat at the bar and hadn't uttered a word slammed his fist down and roared "Bring on the Kingdom". I couldn't help but laugh. My OH and her family are Dubs and when they were leaving told them that Mayo were coming for them.

I've never met anyone from Mayo that wasn't a bit crazy. It seems bred into them. A strange bunch of people.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I watched the Mayo Roscommon replay in a small pub in Clare with a family from Mayo. We were the only people in the pub. They were all complaining before the game started, complaints ranging from the choice of ref (sure he hates Mayo, we haven't a hope) to the fact there was a concert and it would have ruined the pitch for the Mayo players but wouldn't affect the Roscommon players. Non stop complaining.

Then the fun started when they got the second goal and the game was effectively over. Some aul lad that was sat at the bar and hadn't uttered a word slammed his fist down and roared "Bring on the Kingdom". I couldn't help but laugh. My OH and her family are Dubs and when they were leaving told them that Mayo were coming for them.

I've never met anyone from Mayo that wasn't a bit crazy. It seems bred into them. A strange bunch of people.

Mayo and galway fans do both optimism and doom & gloom better than anyone!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I've never met anyone from Mayo that wasn't a bit crazy. It seems bred into them. A strange bunch of people.[/QUOTE]

Such a lazy generalisation,exactly how many people from Mayo do you know?

Every county has its share of OTT supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Should be a routine win for Kerry on Sunday. Can't see Mayo giving Kerry anything to worry about.

seligehgit wrote: »

Such a lazy generalisation,exactly how many people from Mayo do you know?

Every county has its share of OTT supporters.

I don't think he actually meant it in a bad way

jr86 wrote: »
    I don't think he actually meant it in a bad way

Nice to get a bite all the same tho

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

If you followed this Mayo team down throughout the years I am pretty sure you would be crazy too :-)

• Advertisement

franklyon wrote: »
    If you followed this Mayo team down throughout the years I am pretty sure you would be crazy too :-)

I think Rorys Stories depiction is fairly accurate with the bottle of Jameson saying why oh why do ye do it to me Mayo. Hon Mayoooo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Well lads the big day is nearly upon us and the bookies have us as strong favourites to advance on Sunday. I think if we play anywhere near our potential we should come out on top. I'd expect a much more cohesive performance than what we saw against Galway in the QF when we switched off completely once it was clear they were not a threat. There is easily another gear or two in this Kerry side and we'll need them Sunday. One of the big worries was our half forwards and midfield letting runners go without tracking back. Galway created several goal chances out of it. You'd hope this will have been addressed by now.

This Mayo team are one of the most dogged and stubborn outfits I can ever remember so we certainly can't take anything for granted. If they win it would be some transformation from the out fit that scrapped past Derry and Cork. They were exceptional against Roscommon but had all the time and space in the world to operate against fairly poor opposition. Looking at the teamsheet they have big names in every line, and the best player in the country in Keegan. They have every right to feel they can beat anybody, and a bit like ourselves, they normally save their best football for this time of year.

Hoping to see a good high scoring game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Well this is it the championship starts now for kerry, they didn't even have to work up a sweat up untill now, its a pitty they haven't met better opposition the games were poor, at the cork and galway games not exciting stuff no great test of the ould ticker up till now. hopefully they are tuned in and give a good performance. The cream has risen to the top yet again and the four best teams are left and I don't think there is much between these sides so it makes for a fascinating few weeks. I would like to see more youth on this kerry team There is a few of them getting on a bit, but we should know sun eve how good we are.

^^^ How many of the Kerry starting team from the quarter are in their 30s?

Donaghy anyway and I assume donncha Walsh but who else?

They seem more than a young enough side to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Yeah it's currently a young side but where are the players from outstanding recent minor teams? O Beaglaioch was getting a good go of it but no sign of him of late. The others just aren't good enough or Fitzmaurice is slow to give them the chance?

Ages.JPG

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mayo-v-kerry-breaking-down-the-age-profiles-of-both-semifinalists-36040597.html

munster87 wrote: »
    Yeah it's currently a young side but where are the players from outstanding recent minor teams? O Beaglaioch was getting a good go of it but no sign of him of late. The others just aren't good enough or Fitzmaurice is slow to give them the chance?

Jack Barry and Jack Savage have come in off underage teams. Sean O'Shea and Shane Ryan are now in match day panels along with Tom O'Sullivan. Begley is back in the squad after injury kept him sidelined most of the year. Jason Foley and a few others played during McGrath Cup and that.

I wouldn't be too worried, there are a good few new faces in match day panels and will be more again probably next year.

A big part of the problem is you can't really afford to blood guys in the Championship when you only have three games before you need to be at your best in a semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

keane2097 wrote: »
    Jack Barry and Jack Savage have come in off underage teams. Sean O'Shea and Shane Ryan are now in match day panels along with Tom O'Sullivan. Begley is back in the squad after injury kept him sidelined most of the year. Jason Foley and a few others played during McGrath Cup and that.

I wouldn't be too worried, there are a good few new faces in match day panels and will be more again probably next year.

A big part of the problem is you can't really afford to blood guys in the Championship when you only have three games before you need to be at your best in a semi-final.

Even a few minutes against Galway would have been a boost for a couple lads maybe? Was it Sherwood Fitzmaurice brought on in an AI final a few years ago? Had he a run in championship before that, maybe in Munster, can't remember. I'd hope next year to see a few of the younger lads playing more championship minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

keane2097 wrote: »

true but last year we hammered clare, tipp and clare and it was the same faces coming on over and over again! i know everybody needs game time, but surely in the munster final this year, 2 or 3 of the young lads could have been brought on with 10-15 to go.

• Advertisement

munster87 wrote: »
    Even a few minutes against Galway would have been a boost for a couple lads maybe? Was it Sherwood Fitzmaurice brought on in an AI final a few years ago? Had he a run in championship before that, maybe in Munster, can't remember. I'd hope next year to see a few of the younger lads playing more championship minutes.
    true but last year we hammered clare, tipp and clare and it was the same faces coming on over and over again! i know everybody needs game time, but surely in the munster final this year, 2 or 3 of the young lads could have been brought on with 10-15 to go.

I don't think we had any players on the panel worth bringing on last year besides Morley and Begley?

We're trying to get Young, Maher and Darran up to speed in these games. O'Brien and BJK need minutes to keep them sharp.

We only have six subs we can use and several of the five named guys will have to have big impacts in the SF and final for Kerry to win, so I don't agree that we should blood guys in Championship games at the expense of keeping the established, important subs ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I don't know what to make of this match. I think the Roscommon landslide victory is clouding my judgement. They were poor in each of their games before that.

I hope Griffin goes onto Aidan O'Shea, and maybe Killian Young onto Cillian O'Connor. Watching the drawn Roscommon match from the Hill, there was a significant portion of the game where Andy Moran (I think) was left inside the Roscommon 20 yd line on his own, with not another Mayo player in the Roscommon half.

I suspect Fitzmaurice is going to clog up the Kerry half of the pitch, but leaving Geaney and Donaghy inside with James O'D as the harrier between the 45 and the two lads.

I wouldn't be starting Mikey Geaney, I'd start Kevin McCarthy instead, with Stephen O'Brien in reserve for when the game gets stretched from the 45 min mark.
    Donncadh Walsh needs his biggest game of the season, not that he's done much wrong, but he hasn't hit the heights of the last two years yet.
    Personally I'd start Anthony Maher - I think getting onto and holding onto the ball as much as possible in the first half is going to be crucial, and despite the plaudits Moran gets, and the hype surrounding Barry, I still believe that Anthony Maher is our best all-round midfielder.

Kelly
    Young Griffin Enright
    Morley Crowley Murphy
    Barry----Moran---
    McCarthy Buckley Walsh
    Geaney Donaghy James OD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Kingdom wrote: »
    I don't know what to make of this match. I think the Roscommon landslide victory is clouding my judgement. They were poor in each of their games before that.

I hope Griffin goes onto Aidan O'Shea, and maybe Killian Young onto Cillian O'Connor. Watching the drawn Roscommon match from the Hill, there was a significant portion of the game where Andy Moran (I think) was left inside the Roscommon 20 yd line on his own, with not another Mayo player in the Roscommon half.

I suspect Fitzmaurice is going to clog up the Kerry half of the pitch, but leaving Geaney and Donaghy inside with James O'D as the harrier between the 45 and the two lads.

I wouldn't be starting Mikey Geaney, I'd start Kevin McCarthy instead, with Stephen O'Brien in reserve for when the game gets stretched from the 45 min mark.
    Donncadh Walsh needs his biggest game of the season, not that he's done much wrong, but he hasn't hit the heights of the last two years yet.
    Personally I'd start Anthony Maher - I think getting onto and holding onto the ball as much as possible in the first half is going to be crucial, and despite the plaudits Moran gets, and the hype surrounding Barry, I still believe that Anthony Maher is our best all-round midfielder.

Kelly
    Young Griffin Enright
    Morley Crowley Murphy
    Barry----Moran---
    McCarthy Buckley Walsh
    Geaney Donaghy James OD

I take that's the team you think Fitzmaurice will pick as opposed to what you would have? Seeing as you would go for Maher over Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The Kerry Senior Football Team to play Mayo in the All Ireland Senior Football Championship Semi Final in Croke Park on Sunday next shows three changes in personnel from the side that defeated Galway in the quarter final;

Killian Young comes into the full back line in place of Fionn Fitzgerald; Anthony Maher starts in midfield in place of Jack Barry and Stephen O’Brien starts in the half forward line in place of the injured Donnchadh Walsh.

Bryan Sheehan and Gavin Crowley come into the match day panel and are included in the substitutes.

The team captained by Johnny Buckley is as follows:

Brian Kelly
    Killarney Legion
    Shane Enright
    Tarbert
    Mark Griffin
    St Michaels-Foilmore
    Killian Young
    Renard
    Peter Crowley
    Laune Rangers
    Tadhg Morley
    Templenoe
    Paul Murphy
    Rathmore
    David Moran
    Kerins O’Rahillys
    Anthony Maher
    Duagh
    Michael Geaney
    Dingle
    Johnny Buckley (Captain)
    Dr Crokes
    Stephen O’Brien

Kenmare Shamrocks
    Paul Geaney

Dingle
    Kieran Donaghy
    Austin Stacks
    James O’Donoghue

Killarney Legion

Fir Ionaid:
    Shane Ryan
    Rathmore
    Jack Barry
    Na Gaeil
    Fionn Fitzgerald
    Dr Crokes
    Barry John Keane
    Kerins O’Rahillys
    Jonathan Lyne

Killarney Legion
    Jack Savage

Kerins O’Rahillys
    Darran O’Sullivan
    Glenbeigh-Glencar
    Tom O’Sullivan
    Dingle
    Sean O’Shea

Kenmare Shamrocks
    Bryan Sheehan
    St Marys
    Gavin Crowley
    Templenoe

Donnacha a big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Minor team named also.
    The Kerry Minor Football Team to play Cavan in the Electric Ireland GAA All Ireland Minor Football Championship Semi Final at Croke Park on Sunday next shows one change in personnel from the side that defeated Louth in the Quarter Final.

Patrick Warren of Gneeveguilla comes in at half back with Michael Potts moving to centre back in place of Eddie Horan.

The team, captained by David Clifford, is as follows:

1. Deividas Uosis Dingle

2. Sean O'Leary Kilcummin

3. Chris O'Donoghue Glenflesk

4. Cian Gammell Killarney Legion

5. Patrick Warren Gneeveguilla

6. Michael Potts Dr. Crokes

7. Niall Donohue Firies

8. Barry Mahony St. Senans

9. Diarmuid O'Connor Na Gaeil

10. Adam Donoghue Castleisland Desmonds

11. David Clifford (C) Fossa

12. Donal O'Sullivan Kilgarvan

13. Fiáchra Clifford Laune Rangers

14. Donnchadh O'Sullivan Firies

15. Brian Friel Rathmore

Fir Ionaid:

16. Nelu O'Doherty Dr. Crokes

17. Eddie Horan Scartaglen

18. Ciarán O'Reilly Austin Stacks

19. Ryan O'Neill Na Gaeil

20. Michael Slattery Austin Stacks

21. Jack Griffin Dr. Crokes

22. Michael O'Leary Renard

23. Dylan Casey Austin Stacks

24. Cathal Ferriter Annascaul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I can't be totally negative, Maher and Young coming in strengthen the team I think. Donnacha being out and Mikey Geaney starting weakens the team and squad a good bit IMO though. In 2014, Mayo just didn't bother marking Mikey and this gave them an extra body in defence AND attack..If I was Rochford, I'd be thinking "great, that's Keegan playing 7 now and let him go where he pleases".

Bench is going to be crucial. Good to see Gavin Crowley and Sheehan come in. Seán O'Shea, Jack Savage, Jack Barry and BJK all viable options also.

Brutal forecast for Sunday. This is going to be another tight one I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Donnacha a big loss.

Must be injured. Big loss indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

A draw is a good result for kerry another game will stand to them in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

kerryjack wrote: »
    A draw is a good result for kerry another game will stand to them in the final

I agree. This will really stand to Kerry in the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I agree. This will really stand to Kerry in the final

Mayo are not beaten yet before you go thinking of the final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement