Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

When are the tickets on sale and will they be the same price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Amprodude wrote: »
    Nice argument you have going there. We are talking about kerrys performance in the mayo match aren't we? Everything else doesn't apply here. Your team has alot to do to win the All Ireland in 2017. Defence is poor and a team like Dublin will take full advantage of that. Mayo are not Dublin. Kerry are lucky to be in the championship based on today's performance.

That's fantastic. Thanks for the insight, enjoy the early finish to the summer.. again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Must be a shake up in the team for Saturday. FB line needs more protection, and we need to deploy a sweeper.

Not having Paul Murphy and Donnchadh as a constant option due to absence and man marking job was a big issue for us. Paul is our best man marker, but he's probably our best link player too. Maybe a rethink on somebody who can match Keegan, perhaps Lyne, freeing up Murphy.

Not sure who we could drop into the sweeper role though, it's something we've moved away from this season and 6 days to put that strategy back in place might be a bit of an ask.

Time after time we found the wrong player at the end of the move, credit to Mayo they played this relatively well.

Possible 15 for next weekend...

Kelly

Young Griffin Shanahan

Murphy Morley Crowley

Moran Barry

Donnchadh Buckley Lyne

Geaney Donaghy James

Savage unlucky to lose out but to be introduced after 45/50. Gavin Crowley surely an option too, Kevin McCarthy for Donnchadh once he tires provided he's back to full fitness.

Hopeful rather than confident looking forward to next weekend.

Tickets seem to have gone on sale this morning, €35 this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

munster87 wrote: »
    Hope Clifford reaches his potential in next few years

That was the finest display by a minor in Croke Park that I think I've ever seen. He looks an outstanding talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

wed hardly throw Clifford in the next day would we?

wed hardly throw Clifford in the next day would we?

Is it against the rules?

Any news on D. Walsh injury?

My biggest concern, and has been since championship started, is our lack of a running game. We are passing ball and expecting a player to turn and beat probably two men.

We are taking ball into contact whereas the Dubs rarely do that as they turn away from near contact to pass to a guaranteed runner from behind.

We also turned over a lot of ball by handpassing over a Mayo players head leaving the receiving player open to be hit or gobbled up in a tackle.

The Dubs don't handpass the ball more than two yards and generally the player receiving runs to the passer and loops around their back as a screen. I think we're well behind on this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I think Clifford can play, open to correction but I think its only the U17 squad that cant play senior?
    Doubt it would happen anyway.
    I think that game will stand hugely to us, pundits going on about how excellent Mayo played and how poor and off the pace Kerry were. Listening to the sunday game last night you would swear that we robbed Mayo. Yet 2 or 3 mins into injury time and we were one up and would have that game won if Barry John had held the head and not kicked that short free to himself at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

wonga77 wrote: »
    I think Clifford can play, open to correction but I think its only the U17 squad that cant play senior?
    Doubt it would happen anyway.
    I think that game will stand hugely to us, pundits going on about how excellent Mayo played and how poor and off the pace Kerry were. Listening to the sunday game last night you would swear that we robbed Mayo. Yet 2 or 3 mins into injury time and we were one up and would have that game won if Barry John had held the head and not kicked that short free to himself at the end

That at club level. Think rule was brought in last year minors can't play senior intercounty.

wonga77 wrote: »
    if Barry John had held the head and not kicked that short free to himself at the end

Taking a quick free when a point up in ET. Silly by him. Obviously not kicking it far enough to reach your target was worse again. Can't be doing things like that. Murphy did something similar in league match v. Dubs in Tralee too. Can't continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

That's fantastic. Thanks for the insight, enjoy the early finish to the summer.. again.

Depends how you define the word "finish".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Any news on D. Walsh injury?

Fitzmaurice said it's a hamstring and its a race against the clock to have him fit.

I have to say Fitzmaurice was out-thought in terms of our starting lineup. Half forwards were eaten alive. Maher was reasonably poor. Matchups in defence were all wrong.

However he used the bench decisively and we got a great return out of Savage, Barry, Lyne, Darren and BJK (apart from the brain fart at the end).

I hate the fact that we didn't have a sweeper. While it did curb the running game we have been exposed all year when playing without a sweeper. Doherty, Moran and O'Connor are too good to leave with all that space in front of them.

The thing about having a sweeper back there is that it forces the attacking team to kick to the corners a lot more. Moran and O'Connor don't have great pace which would give our corner backs a bit of protection as it gives them a chance to win the 50/50 balls. Without the sweeper they had to play from behind and lost every aerial duel. It also leads to situations where you are relying on Mikey Geaney to actually defend to prevent players from strolling in to score.

Having said all that we played poorly but we're still in the championship. We have a chance to redeem ourselves.

I got plenty of calls wrong before the match. I thought that Enright would deal with Moran. In fact I thought Mayo's best chance was to keep Moran off, because he's lost an amount of possession in 50/50 balls. However he won every single ball yesterday and made me look like a right fool. I thought we'd have a sweeper for sure. I thought O'Brien wouldn't be effective in the wet. I thought Buckley would have more impact attacking and defending. I thought that James would be back to form. I certainly didn't think O'Shea would mark Donaghy.

It was crazy from that point of view. Looking forward to the next day. Surely we can't get as much wrong as yesterday. However Mayo surely won't play O'Shea on Donaghy again after the 2-4 that came off him. We'll be looking for scores from other areas.

Jack Barry in for Maher
    Donnacha in for Geaney if fit. If not maybe Jonathan Lyne.
    I would have Fionn in as well for his pace maybe for Griffin. If Aidan O'Shea goes in full forward, then I'd keep Griffin in.

Plenty to think about.

Would we start Savage amd Jack Barry the next day? Both did well when they came in. Griffin would have to remain at FB in case they decide to throw AoS in there, doubt he'll be full back again as he can't tackle like a FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I find it unbelievable that people think the O'Shea was anything other than a disaster. You don't get extra points for winning a high ball before you set up a score.

I see Eamonn Sweeney echoing my thoughts in saying that it was probably Donaghy's best performance in years, and he didn't even have to jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Would we start Savage amd Jack Barry the next day? Both did well when they came in. Griffin would have to remain at FB in case they decide to throw AoS in there, doubt he'll be full back again as he can't tackle like a FB.

Darren looked lively when he came in as well, in conditions that wouldn't suit his style

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

keane2097 wrote: »
    I see Eamonn Sweeney echoing my thoughts in saying that it was probably Donaghy's best performance in years, and he didn't even have to jump.

Donaghy was the main conductor of the orchestra yesterday with placed balls and it was reminiscent of his glory days. Watching him from the stand was to see it happening as it didn't do him justice on TV.

Doltanian wrote: »
    Donaghy was the main conductor of the orchestra yesterday with placed balls and it was reminiscent of his glory days. Watching him from the stand was to see it happening as it didn't do him justice on TV.

Yeah I haven't watched it back so maybe some of the commentary that it somehow worked is coming from TV footage or something. I can't remember him being so influential for a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I find it unbelievable that people think the O'Shea was anything other than a disaster. You don't get extra points for winning a high ball before you set up a score.

It was a shambolic decision and hindered them massively.

Heres hoping that they decide to mix it up next week and put Andy Moran marking Geaney in the corner

munster87 wrote: »
    Darren looked lively when he came in as well, in conditions that wouldn't suit his style

He did well alright. I'd probably bring him in for the last 20 though as his pace will be an asset against a tiring defence.

We have to have a sweeper next time, right? How do we do that?

• Advertisement

Name Murphy as a wing forward and use whichever spare back to sweep. That would let Mayo screen Donaghy though so I don't know if we'll do it.

If we don't push up so much on the Mayo kickout it could serve to tighten things up instead. Morley was also being deliberately pulled out of the middle, as you would do with any CHB, so maybe he should be told to hold the middle regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

keane2097 wrote:

Murphy to half forward. Fionn in for Geaney. Put Fionn on Diarmuid O'Connor. Murphy drops back onto Kevin McLoughlin. Crowley as a sweeper. Buckley on Lee Keegan.

You could also think about dropping Mark Griffin or Shane Enright and bringing Morley back on Doherty and having Lyne in from the start.

It's a bit frustrating for Mayo to get 1-1 off two goal chances in the first half that should have both been frees out and still have them complaining about the ref.

It's a bit frustrating for Mayo to get 1-1 off two goal chances in the first half that should have both been frees out and still have them complaining about the ref.

Rewatching I'm pretty sure they should have had a penalty for Mark Griffin swiping the ball along the ground during the goalmouth scramble in the first half. A poor refereeing display all in all I thought.

Same As wrote: »
    Rewatching I'm pretty sure they should have had a penalty for Mark Griffin swiping the ball along the ground during the goalmouth scramble in the first half. A poor refereeing display all in all I thought.

COC was square ball in that move before the swipe. It was a hard one to spot in fairness, but you could always say 'jeez we got away with one or two there'.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

you are allowed to play the ball on the ground with your fist, if your legs are not in a position to pick it up.

its not a common rule, but its in the rule book. i know this as ive done the reffing course and this was one of the things we were examined on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Laughable to see some of the usual over the top reverse psychology from a couple of kerry posters.

Why do they care so much where AOS plays?

AOS cancelled out Donaghy. I don't remember Donaghy winning a single high ball in and Kerry soon abandoned that tactic. I thought AOS had a horse of a game myself. The problem for Mayo is he had little support on the ground. He needs a sweeper on front of him, someone like Boyle or Higgins.

There is no-one else on the Mayo team who can deal with the aerial threat of Donaghy but AOS. So Rochford needs to stick with this. Some other Mayo players need to step it up in the replay.

Overall two evenly matched teams and the replay will also go to the wire imo.

As for Eamonn Sweeney he is clueless about GAA and should stick to writing about other sports.

Laughable to see some of the usual over the top reverse psychology from a couple of kerry posters.

Why do they care so much where AOS plays?

AOS cancelled out Donaghy. I don't remember Donaghy winning a single high ball in and Kerry soon abandoned that tactic. I thought AOS had a horse of a game myself. The problem for Mayo is he had little support on the ground. He needs a sweeper on front of him, someone like Boyle or Higgins.

There is no-one else on the Mayo team who can deal with the aerial threat of Donaghy but AOS. So Rochford needs to stick with this. Some other Mayo players need to step it up in the replay.

Overall two evenly matched teams and the replay will also go to the wire imo.

As for Eamonn Sweeney he is clueless about GAA and should stick to writing about other sports.

Stopped reading after that.

Same As wrote: »
    Stopped reading after that.

Same as

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

It was a shambolic decision and hindered them massively.

It was a pretty good decision. The one time AOS was moved out of full back Kerry quickly scored 1-1 and looked on course to run away with the game.

A good manager always picks horses for courses and thinks outside the box.

I thought Kerry were average yesterday and Mayo being Mayo gifted them soft chances with mistakes. Seamie O Shea has a habit of coughing up the ball easily if pressure is on him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement