Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I thought Kerry were average yesterday and Mayo being Mayo gifted them soft chances with mistakes. Seamie O Shea has a habit of coughing up the ball easily if pressure is on him.

and kerry didnt gift mayo the first goal when two defenders ran into each other????

and what about the last gasp equaliser, that came from a kerry free? Kerry made more errors yesterday than Mayo, to be lamenting Mayo mistakes is nonsense when you got more than you made.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Same As wrote: »
    Stopped reading after that.

That's gas, I literally started scrolling at that exact point as well.

and kerry didnt gift mayo the first goal when two defenders ran into each other????

That was very annoying.

Bad mistake by Barry John at the end as well, game was won at that stage if he had just put the ball down and walked away realistically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Laughable to see some of the usual over the top reverse psychology from a couple of kerry posters.

Why do they care so much where AOS plays?

AOS cancelled out Donaghy. I don't remember Donaghy winning a single high ball in and Kerry soon abandoned that tactic. I thought AOS had a horse of a game myself. The problem for Mayo is he had little support on the ground. He needs a sweeper on front of him, someone like Boyle or Higgins.

There is no-one else on the Mayo team who can deal with the aerial threat of Donaghy but AOS. So Rochford needs to stick with this. Some other Mayo players need to step it up in the replay.

Overall two evenly matched teams and the replay will also go to the wire imo.

As for Eamonn Sweeney he is clueless about GAA and should stick to writing about other sports.

He cancelled out his aerial threat. AOS was taken off him for a couple minutes in the second half and Kerry scored 1-1 with Donaghy to the fore in both moves. AOS was then moved back on him.

Are some people on here including that 1-1 in the match up scores? Because they shouldn't be. You can't blame AOS for that.

We all know Kerry would have won at a cantor if Donaghy was allowed do what he did against the likes of Galway.

One piece of advise to the Kerry lads. Don't tell us how to pick our team. And we won't tell you how to pick yours. Fair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

you are allowed to play the ball on the ground with your fist, if your legs are not in a position to pick it up.

its not a common rule, but its in the rule book. i know this as ive done the reffing course and this was one of the things we were examined on.

I'd have to imagine that 100% of referees would give a free against for that, this year alone at club level we've had 3 conflicting reports from referees on what constitutes a leg block - all of which were penalty incidents.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    That was very annoying.

Bad mistake by Barry John at the end as well, game was won at that stage if he had just put the ball down and walked away realistically.

Was it BJK who kicked the free to himself basically? Not sure who the other party involved was maybe Murphy? Either way it was u12 stuff, whatever about handling errors on a wet day, that was an easily avoidable turnover.

Another Q - he puts it over he's a hero, but Brian Sheehan - is there really a place on the panel for him when we have young fellas coming through? Would have preferred to see Jason Foley coming on with some pace to carry against tired bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

One piece of advise to the Kerry lads. Don't tell us how to pick our team. And we won't tell you how to pick yours. Fair?

But you're in the Kerry forum telling fellas what to.....

never mind

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'd have to imagine that 100% of referees would give a free against for that, this year alone at club level we've had 3 conflicting reports from referees on what constitutes a leg block - all of which were penalty incidents.

Was it BJK who kicked the free to himself basically? Not sure who the other party involved was maybe Murphy? Either way it was u12 stuff, whatever about handling errors on a wet day, that was an easily avoidable turnover.

Another Q - he puts it over he's a hero, but Brian Sheehan - is there really a place on the panel for him when we have young fellas coming through? Would have preferred to see Jason Foley coming on with some pace to carry against tired bodies.

Yeah I think it was Jack Sav he was kicking it to. Probably would have gotten away with it if he just left it. Not sure if turnover was correct or it should have been a throw ball actually.

Will you ever get over yourself - you are picking **** all and neither are the rest of us.

That's gas, I literally started scrolling at that exact point as well.

I've no problem with anyone stopping scrolling but when they start blaming players for the scores of opponents they aren't even marking its sad to say the least.

I had my doubts about some Rochford decisions earlier in the year but he's beginning to get things right. Dropping Cafferkey was an important first step. It was always going to be difficult to find a match up with Donnaghy. The guy is influential no matter who you put on him. My own preference would be double marking him or a sweeper right on front. Either or.

Again I think you Kerry lads should worry more about your own team selection than Mayos. Your own full back line is like the keystone cops at times and you won't win an AI until its fixed.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think it was Jack Sav he was kicking it to. Probably would have gotten away with it if he just left it. Not sure if turnover was correct or it should have been a throw ball actually.

Turnover is correct I'd say because it's a foul essentially...not certain on that either though.
    Will you ever get over yourself - you are picking **** all and neither are the rest of us.

Cards on the table here, I picked the Kerry team

On an unrelated matter if anybody is good with photoshop could they put AOS face in the Sacred heart of Jesus picture please, shurimgreat can print it off and put it over the fire, say a few novenas before the replay etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I think the point being is that so many people see Donaghy as a one trick pony. Theres far more to him than just lamping in high balls. He made an excellent contribution yesterday. AOS was always going to be able to handle him if Kerry just banged in long high balls but he couldn't get out in front which is to be expected as going in full back is a very difficult ask for a player who spends most of his time in the forwards. Mayo are in a tricky spot now, Vaughan would be a far better man marker for the nitty gritty of general play but don't think he's anywhere near good enough in the air to compete with Donaghy. AOS would do fine but Kerry showed yesterday that they don't need to go high. I think he's wasted back there and could do far more damage out the field with his strength, interesting to see what they do the next day either way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

wonga77 wrote: »
    I think the point being is that so many people see Donaghy as a one trick pony. Theres far more to him than just lamping in high balls. He made an excellent contribution yesterday. AOS was always going to be able to handle him if Kerry just banged in long high balls but he couldn't get out in front which is to be expected as going in full back is a very difficult ask for a player who spends most of his time in the forwards. Mayo are in a tricky spot now, Vaughan would be a far better man marker for the nitty gritty of general play but don't think he's anywhere near good enough in the air to compete with Donaghy. AOS would do fine but Kerry showed yesterday that they don't need to go high. I think he's wasted back there and could do far more damage out the field with his strength, interesting to see what they do the next day either way

How dare you try and pick the Mayo team

I've no problem with anyone stopping scrolling but when they start blaming players for the scores of opponents they aren't even marking its sad to say the least.

I had my doubts about some Rochford decisions earlier in the year but he's beginning to get things right. Dropping Cafferkey was an important first step. It was always going to be difficult to find a match up with Donnaghy. The guy is influential no matter who you put on him. My own preference would be double marking him or a sweeper right on front. Either or.

Again I think you Kerry lads should worry more about your own team selection than Mayos. Your own full back line is like the keystone cops at times and you won't win an AI until its fixed.

Quality posting, the irony, the hypocritical masterclass. I need a bit of humour on this monday afternoon

Fair point. Your say over the Kerry team is as worthless as mine.

Two points about the AOS Donaghy match up.

1. He wasn't marking Donaghy for the second goal. If memory serves SOS was on him. So no blame to AOS there. He was moved up the field at the time as people were demanding.

2. For the second goal AOS was left 2 on 1 with after SOS coughed up possession laughably easy. No Mayo players bothered to get back. Even the best full back will struggle in a 2 versus 1 situation. So its hard to blame AOS for this as well.

Anyways I will leave yee Kerry folks to it. When yee are worrying about where AOS plays and not about your own full back line that suits us fine.

My last post was aimed at Keane by the way. There's a problem with editing posts on my phone.

My last post was aimed at Keane by the way. There's a problem with editing posts on my phone.

Anyways I will leave yee Kerry folks to it. When yee are worrying about where AOS plays and not about your own full back line that suits us fine.

Everything discussed on here has zero impact on next Saturday anyway but you know that already.

I think you may be overestimating the importance of a few random people chatting on Boards about a game.
    Plus if you think anyone in Kerry is "worrying" about where Aidan O Shea plays then you are fairly well off the mark. I think we'll all sleep easy tonight somehow

Everything discussed on here has zero impact on next Saturday anyway but you know that already.

Delusions of grandeur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

you are allowed to play the ball on the ground with your fist, if your legs are not in a position to pick it up.

its not a common rule, but its in the rule book. i know this as ive done the reffing course and this was one of the things we were examined on.

You mustn't have been paying attention properly at it then.

You can play the ball on the ground away from you if you are knocked to the ground whilst in possession of the ball.

You cannot move towards a loose ball and try to play it on the ground with your hands (unless you're the GK obviously :P)

http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/TheGAA/RulesandRegulations/13/79/82/GAAOfficialGuide2017_Part2_Neutral.pdf

Page 63
    1.2 When the ball is on the ground, it may be played by any part of the body except the hand(s). It may be lifted off the ground with the feet.
    Exceptions
    (i) The goalkeeper may play the ball on the ground with his hand(s) inside his own small rectangle.
    (ii) Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by so doing.
    (iii) The ball may not be lifted off the ground with the knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

1. He wasn't marking Donaghy for the second goal. If memory serves SOS was on him. So no blame to AOS there. He was moved up the field at the time as people were demanding.

He was meant to be marking him but was marking air out by the sideline while Seamie covered his ass. Unfortunately for Seamie the ball broke to his own man David Moran who sauntered in for the goal chance unmarked- while Aidan watched on from afar.

It was a poor pass to Aidan that went out over the sideline but he still should have kept it in. Critical lapse in concentration to leave Donaghy- but at 3 points up perhaps a bit of cockiness came into play. He was probably looking to drive up the field and get another big roar out of the Mayo crowd.

Whatever it was, he definitely wasn't switched off Donaghy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Actually watch the video back- BJK goes for it but Savage actually catches it so should not have been a turnover

Actually watch the video back- BJK goes for it but Savage actually catches it so should not have been a turnover

Does it have to go 13m or something?

Sure everyone knows that the only way to pick the Mayo team is to hack Aidan O Shea's email account and fire off a few messages to Rochford

Was it 14 yards so? In which case it is a turnover

Does it have to go 13m or something?

On that I'm not sure but frees often go a lot less and arent pulled up.

13:20 in this vid- maybe it's for body checking the Mayo player?

D'Agger wrote: »
    Was it 14 yards so? In which case it is a turnover

Maybe it was but if thats the case then frees would be turned over very regularly- a load are tapped short

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think putting O'Shea in FB was crazy but that it worked to a degree. What we lost as a result is my main gripe.

Our achilles heel in these kind of games has always been the concession of a few easy / early goals. I think the main aim of putting him in there was to stop Donaghy beging the fulcrum of attack in front of goal / around the D. That was the real danger and it was successful in that sense.
    However, he wasn't able to get near Donaghy when he drifted out and he was still influential, albeit much less of a danger.
    But if the job was to Donaghy winning it close to goal and laying it off to runners on goal, then it worked.

However, that meant taking one of our most influential players out of the game.
    Fielding, we were destroyed in the first half with the pressure on the kick outs. Having one of the best fielders in the game standing beside the keeper meant losing a serious option to help relive that pressure.
    The way ye crowded the middle was to be expected. Having O'Shea in there drawing tackles and off loading to runners would have been massive. A scenario made for him.

I can see why he was put in there. The big question is would the likes of Vaughan been able to do the job just as good.

• Advertisement

Regardless of why the BJK free was turned over, why take a quick free when a point up in ET? Awful mistake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement