Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Trolling? Are you having a laugh? In 2008, before the final, it was Kerry people, not Dublin people like me or Tyrone people or those from any other county, but Kerry people that were saying that the result of the 2008 All-Ireland Final would once and for all decide who were the team of the decade. Tyrone won that match. So, according to Kerry people, Tyrone are the team of the decade. It is true that a lot of Kerry people have had severe amnesia since saying that, but they said it nevertheless. Once and for all they said too, so whatever happened in 2009 would not affect it, according to Kerry, even though Kerry won that All-Ireland.

They may have won more All-Ireland's than Tyrone in the past decade, but when it came down to it, every time they played Tyrone in the championship they were beaten. I know Kerry are famous for jokes, but saying they are better than a team that they lost to every time the chips were down, now that is hilarious. You can't be a better team than a team you lost to in every big match you played against them, especially when you add in that you yourselves have said that the results of those games would decide who was the team of the decade. Down's 100% championship record against Kerry may be spread out over 50 years, but in the decade we've just seen, Tyrone have had a 100% record against Kerry in the championship. So Kerry saying they are better than a team that they always lost to in the championship during the last decade must rank up there with some of the best Kerryman jokes ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Your timing with this really makes you look like a spastic to be honest.

Why didn't you mention it last week, or better yet, last year the the decade actually ended?

Nothing to slither out from under your rock for till now I suppose.

Get a life IMO, any normal human being would be basking in their own success at this point rather than gloating about someone else's downfall.
    Flukey wrote: »
    Trolling? Are you having a laugh? In 2008, before the final, it was Kerry people, not Dublin people like me or Tyrone people or those from any other county, but Kerry people that were saying that the result of the 2008 All-Ireland Final would once and for all decide who were the team of the decade. Tyrone won that match. So, according to Kerry people, Tyrone are the team of the decade. It is true that a lot of Kerry people have had severe amnesia since saying that, but they said it nevertheless. Once and for all they said too, so whatever happened in 2009 would not affect it, according to Kerry, even though Kerry won that All-Ireland.

They may have won more All-Ireland's than Tyrone in the past decade, but when it came down to it, every time they played Tyrone in the championship they were beaten. I know Kerry are famous for jokes, but saying they are better than a team that they lost to every time the chips were down, now that is hilarious. You can't be a better team than a team you lost to in every big match you played against them, especially when you add in that you yourselves have said that the results of those games would decide who was the team of the decade. Down's 100% championship record against Kerry may be spread out over 50 years, but in the decade we've just seen, Tyrone have had a 100% record against Kerry in the championship. So Kerry saying they are better than a team that they always lost to in the championship during the last decade must rank up there with some of the best Kerryman jokes ever.

keane2097 wrote: »

Why didn't you mention it last week, or better yet, last year the the decade actually ended?

I know it is a very long thread, but if you go back through it you will find that this was discussed here before and I said the same thing. So sorry to disappoint you, I have not just appeared out of nowhere about this. Now, if you excuse me, I have two more quarter finals to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It's best not to rise to it tbh.
    Perhaps there might be a debate there if the points made weren't so childish but when they are so clearly trolling it's best not to bother engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

I know it is a very long thread, but if you go back through it you will find that this was discussed here before and I said the same thing. So sorry to disappoint you, I have not just appeared out of nowhere about this. Now, if you excuse me, I have two more quarter finals to attend.

Kerry are the team of the decade.7 or 8 all ireland finals in 10 years is fantastic plus 5 wins in those games.This team really was a great great team.Pity for you the dubs will never win 36 hahahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Im surprised Flukey hasnt been red carded or is it because he's a Dub and the maj of the mods are Dubs?

Flukey comes on to the Kerry Discussion Thread which he is entitled to and throws out the comment about "the team of the decade" clearly knowing it will stir up **** and was discussed 12 months ago. I call that trolling. Anyone disagree?

Nothing worse than people giving facts when they are incorrect facts, make them look silly and imature

All Ireland SFC
    Final

Kerry 2-15 | Tyrone 1-10.

I would like to commend the Kerry supporters for not feeding the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

ha, "kerry people" were saying? which ones? since when do a few speak for all? secondly, 2009 of course counts when considering team of the decade as it is in the decade. finally, stats speak for themselves, don't just look at kerry v tyrone stats, but look at all irelands won and secondly all ireland finals reached (for considering a team to be consistently good over 10 years 2000-2009)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

If anyone has an issue with a post then please use the report post function and we'll get around to it when we get a chance.

Nothing to slither out from under your rock for till now I suppose.

Get a life IMO, any normal human being would be basking in their own success at this point rather than gloating about someone else's downfall.

There's no excuse for the above though, so you can take a few days off.

An Citeog wrote: »
    If anyone has an issue with a post then please use the report post function and we'll get around to it when we get a chance.

There's no excuse for the above though, so you can take a few days off.

Hold on a sec,you havent banned keane have you?:eek: If he is banned then how the hell can u let a blatant troll get away with so much more(surely keane isnt banned though:confused:)

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Hold on a sec,you havent banned keane have you?:eek: If he is banned then how the hell can u let a blatant troll get away with so much more(surely keane isnt banned though:confused:)

If you've a problem with the moderation here you can take it to pm or contact one of the other GAA mods or cmods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Good call An Citeog.

Flukey, if I see any more posts from you stirring it up again regarding the "team of the decade" thing, you'll be following Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Well, yes you are trolling since the issue of team of the decade has been discussed on here before and you clearly only mention it again to rile up Kerry people after a tough loss.

I don't know what Kerry people were saying the 2008 final would decide the team of the decade, I am from Kerry and never really knew it was such an issue. Maybe it is for outsiders so they can try and take something away from Kerrys success, jealousy can be an awful thing.

I don't think anyone can clearly say whom the team of the decade is because it will always be a matter of opinion but if one was to look at it from a non biased point of view then Kerrys achievements really just speak for themselves and a couple of losses of a another good team doesn't really change that. One could equally breakdown all of Tyrones losses during that period, it is not Kerrys fault they were not as consistent.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter and your sly comments about Kerry jokes just makes you look a bit sad, that may of been an insult around twenty years ago.

Well done to Down anyway on a well deserved victory and also to Dublin for a great win over Tyrone.

smashey wrote: »
    Good call An Citeog.

Flukey, if I see any more posts from you stirring it up again regarding the "team of the decade" thing, you'll be following Keane.

Why does he get a warning and keane doesnt?He started the whole thing?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Why does he get a warning and keane doesnt?He started the whole thing?:confused:

Anthony, final warning. We do NOT discuss mod decisions in a thread, that's what the PM function is for. If you can't accept that you'll be following Keane. Flukey has been warned, Keane has been banned for breaking one of the first rules of the forum charter. Now that's the end of it.

There haven't been any posts from me stirring it up. I've obviously hit a sore point with some of the Kerry folk, but their sensitivities aren't my fault. I would in fact back them in their defence of Keane. His point, though wrong, was understandable. It is a very long thread so he may not have known that this has been discussed here before and I participated in that discussion. He should not have been banned for making a fair point.

How about we just say :

Team of 2000 - Kerry, Runners Up - Galway

Team of 2001 - Galway, Runners Up - Meath

Team of 2002 - Armagh, Runners Up - Kerry

Team of 2003 - Tyrone, Runners Up - Armagh

Team of 2004 - Kerry, Runners Up - Mayo

Team of 2005 - Tyrone, Runners up - Kerry

Team of 2006 - Kerry, Runners Up - Mayo

Team of 2007 - Kerry, Runners Up - Cork

Team of 2008 - Tyrone, Runners Up - Kerry

Team of 2009 - Kerry, Runners Up - Cork

Those are just the finals and just a year by year analysis. There is a lot tmore to it than finals and doing it year by year. For me, Team of the decade are Tyrone. There are no other contenders. Second: Kerry. There are no other contenders. It is from about third place on that it gets interesting. What with Tyrone and Kerry taking most of the All-Irelands - the only criteria you are using - we have to open it out to other factors.

Although they didn't win a single All-Ireland in the decade, I'd probably insert Cork in third, given some of their performances and the teams they've had. They gave Kerry many a tough challenge and of course overturned Tyrone, and had some other very good performances through the decade. Armagh and Galway may have won All-Ireland's but Cork probably just about head them.

Taking how I am measuring third place, that is where I am coming from in measuring all the teams. It is overall performances, who they had to play, how well they performed, who they beat, who beat them, the nature of their victories and the nature of their defeats etc., not just amount of final wins. On final wins alone, sure Kerry certainly have it, but there is more to it than that. I am not even going to go down the road of saying Kerry won soft All-Irelands in 2004 and 2006 and perhaps 2007. That would be unfair on Kerry, and the type of thing that people would be expecting me to say given their imagined bias of mine. So we will add weight to those 3 finals. The others were certainly tougher won though. Kerry had some hard won All-Irelands and no Kerry fan can argue the three that Tyrone won were easy. Each involved getting past Kerry and some other tough opposition.

The McAnallen factor for 2004 isn't really enough to say why they didn't do better in that year, so it was not a good year for Tyrone. In 2006 however, Tyrone were decimated by injuries so through no fault of their own it has to be written off, but they shouldn't be debited because of that. 2006 was also the year we can give credit to Kerry for beating Armagh. The moment in that match when Kieran Donaghy turned Francie Bellew to score that goal, was literally the turning point, or pivotal moment of that year, probably more significant than winning that All-Ireland. Armagh had proved a tough nut for Kerry, and it is a nut that Tyrone managed to crack several times. Kerry didn't crack the Tyrone nut, but while it is certainly a major element in Tyrone's case for the status I believe they hold, it is far from the only factor.

Kerry also had their bad years. 2001 again Meath wasn't great, and you have to add in the 2002 and 2003 exits. Kerry came into 2004 gunning for Armagh and Tyrone, but due to a quarter-final day similar to the one we had on Saturday, where both Armagh and Tyrone were surprising dumped out, Kerry did not meet them. Derry were their Ulster opposition, which didn't prove a problem. 2005 then showed that they again couldn't do what they wanted when it came to Tyrone. Initially they were critical of Armagh and Tyrone, and we had the infamous "puke football" comment, but subsequently Tyrone and Armagh did earn the respect of the Kerry team and fans through their performances after that. They were no glitch or flash in the pans. Kerry would look on that 2003 semi-final with a bit more respect towards Tyrone now than at the time, and have no complaints over 2005 and 2008.

Tyrone had some tough battles against Armagh which they got through, and the 2005 quarter final and replay against Dublin were not easy too. Other teams also pushed them, but they got through. There were some negative factors to their play, but they were also capable of playing some lovely football. It is not finals won, or head to heads with each other, that differentiate Kerry and Tyrone. Team of the decade is about overall performances, not just finals. I believe Tyrone achieved a lot more in the past decade when you take it all into consideration. Evaluate it all coldly and while you may still put Kerry on top, I think you'll find the gap is narrower than measuring purely on All-Irelands won.

Well Flukey, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, you obviously have a little bit of disdain for Kerry but probably only in a "friendly' rivalry way. I can admit to having many a satisfied day at in watching some of Dublins downfalls.

I can see you genuinely feel that Tyrone are the team of the decade and have provided a good argument in favor of your opinion.
    The whole team of the decade thing is not really a big issue for me, I would rather have 5 All Ireland titles in that period and not be the team of the decade, than have 3 titles and be team of the decade in some peoples eyes.

For you to say there are no other contenders for team of the decade does baffle me a little bit, how one cannot think that Kerry are not contending to be the team of the decade is rather a strange opinion. I genuinely feel Kerry are the team of the decade but I can see where people have valid points in contending that Tyrone are the team of the decade.

I do believe that the main factor you can base it on is finals and titles won but also as you said there are other factors, some of which I think you read too much into and are more opinion based than anything.

Kerry have won 5 All Ireland titles and reached 8 finals
    Kerry have won 7 Munster titles and reached 9 finals
    Kerry have won 3 National Leagues and reached 4 finals

Tyrone have won 3 All Ireland titles and reached 3 finals
    Tyrone have won 5 Ulster titles and reached 6 finals
    Tyrone have won 2 National Leagues and reached 2 finals

I just base my opinion on things like this and believe Kerry have been very consistent and have given the people of Kerry many a great day out over the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Well Flukey, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, you obviously have a little bit of disdain for Kerry but probably only in a "friendly' rivalry way. I can admit to having many a satisfied day at in watching some of Dublins downfalls.

I can see you genuinely feel that Tyrone are the team of the decade and have provided a good argument in favor of your opinion.
    The whole team of the decade thing is not really a big issue for me, I would rather have 5 All Ireland titles in that period and not be the team of the decade, than have 3 titles and be team of the decade in some peoples eyes.

For you to say there are no other contenders for team of the decade does baffle me a little bit, how one cannot think that Kerry are not contending to be the team of the decade is rather a strange opinion. I genuinely feel Kerry are the team of the decade but I can see where people have valid points in contending that Tyrone are the team of the decade.

I do believe that the main factor you can base it on is finals and titles won but also as you said there are other factors, some of which I think you read too much into and are more opinion based than anything.

Kerry have won 5 All Ireland titles and reached 8 finals
    Kerry have won 7 Munster titles and reached 9 finals
    Kerry have won 3 National Leagues and reached 4 finals

Tyrone have won 3 All Ireland titles and reached 3 finals
    Tyrone have won 5 Ulster titles and reached 6 finals
    Tyrone have won 2 National Leagues and reached 2 finals

I just base my opinion on things like this and believe Kerry have been very consistent and have given the people of Kerry many a great day out over the decade.

Just to add to this, kerry were at contenders every year for the decade, tyrone only got going in year 4 out of 10. I accept flukeys point on it no being based on wins solely. From 1996-2006 Mayo were there or there abouts the best team in those 10 years, as they got to a massive amount of semis and finals, were very unlucky not to win one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the only advantage tyrone have over Kerry is they beat them 3 times. everything else would point kerry as the team of the decade. tyrone never even won 2 semis in a row for f8ck sake, they only came good every 2 or 3 years where as kerry were there every year as challengers. 6 finals in a row, 2 more before that and 5 wins.

as to how anybody can deny that is baffling, its simple maths really. its a bit like saying chelsea were the team of the decade in england as they won 3 titles and beat united more times than united beat them, despite united winning 6 league titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

As an unbiased neutral, from a county (Waterford) that is much more of a hurling county, I think Kerry were team of the decade, they won more All Irelands, reached more semi finals and reached the quarters every year of the decade which surely is the best measure of it? head to head record between the counties is surely secondary to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

who gives a **** ?? Honestly.... Tyrone football has come along way in the last 10 years, alot futher than kerry (Because kerry have always been a great footballing county). Both teams have been superb... why cant you just leave it at that ? Besides... that was last decade.... we are onto the 10's ! a new era in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

congratulations to Down! By far the better team last Sat and best of luck against Kildare.

For those current kerry players that will retire now, i say: thank you for your contribution. you have given us some great days over the last 10 years.

For now, i assume jack will take some time to decide whether he's going to look for another term next year. Regardless of who is in charge next year - it is obvious that there is some re-building to be done.

We need some backs, midfielders and half-forwards.

So the question is.. who will the new players of 2011 be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I would say without question tyrone have been the team of the decade, and it must be said, a very poor decade too with at most 5 contenders.Im basing this on the fact that the only times Kerry were tested in a final - they lost, to armagh and tyrone (2).

Beating the likes of mayo in a final ?

i left croke park saturday thinking this was an end of an era, however now i think we will be fine and theres stilll plenty for the team to offer. we need a few things -

to keep the same forwards in place, should be ok, they are all still young.
    we need a new center back - step forward paul galvin.
    we need 2 from tom sullivan, tommy griffan, mike mac and tom sullivan to play on, i think that should be ok, no way 3 of them will go.
    we need tommy walsh back and play either him or donaghy mid field with scanlon, who needs to regain his form. or play sheehan there, thats his bet spot i think.
    Maybe even buckley at midfield, i am surprised he got no run this year.

we need to freshen things up and try new things, people in new places

a team like this wouldnt be far off an all ireland -

keely/reidy/hennessy/mac an tsaoir

reidy_griffan_Marc
    tomas_galvin_Young
    Scanlon_Sheehan
    Da Sullivan_Dec Sullivan_BJ Keane
    Gooch_ T Walsh_ Star

we then need 6-8 good back ups.
    Buckley
    Bohane
    Mahony
    Quirke
    Donnacha Walsh
    BJ Walsh
    Moran
    Maher
    Paul O Connor

david moran needs a kick up the arse and Maher needs to get a dirty side to him, he is too light and not tough enough for intercounty midfield.

we have plenty of options still, its time for the younger lads to step up and be counted.

i'm not anti-kerry, but i do think this is the last thing kerry need:

'Maher needs to get a dirty side to him'

Kerry have become a dirty team, and in my opinion, they are less of a team because of that.

liammur wrote: »
    i'm not anti-kerry, but i do think this is the last thing kerry need:

'Maher needs to get a dirty side to him'

Kerry have become a dirty team, and in my opinion, they are less of a team because of that.

kerry this year have been no different to any year over the last 7 years in terms of discipline.

Well they lost p galvin and tomas o se, and quite rightly imo.

Last year, we had t kennelly talking about taking some1 out early in the all ireland final.

That's not really what i associated with kerry.

(i'm from limerick and used to like kerry until they started getting dirty)

Enough of this team of the decade crap. It's nonsensical and this isn't the place for it.

i left croke park saturday thinking this was an end of an era, however now i think we will be fine and theres stilll plenty for the team to offer. we need a few things -

to keep the same forwards in place, should be ok, they are all still young.
    we need a new center back - step forward paul galvin.
    we need 2 from tom sullivan, tommy griffan, mike mac and tom sullivan to play on, i think that should be ok, no way 3 of them will go.
    we need tommy walsh back and play either him or donaghy mid field with scanlon, who needs to regain his form. or play sheehan there, thats his bet spot i think.
    Maybe even buckley at midfield, i am surprised he got no run this year.

we need to freshen things up and try new things, people in new places

a team like this wouldnt be far off an all ireland -

keely/reidy/hennessy/mac an tsaoir

reidy_griffan_Marc
    tomas_galvin_Young
    Scanlon_Sheehan
    Da Sullivan_Dec Sullivan_BJ Keane
    Gooch_ T Walsh_ Star

we then need 6-8 good back ups.
    Buckley
    Bohane
    Mahony
    Quirke
    Donnacha Walsh
    BJ Walsh
    Moran
    Maher
    Paul O Connor

david moran needs a kick up the arse and Maher needs to get a dirty side to him, he is too light and not tough enough for intercounty midfield.

we have plenty of options still, its time for the younger lads to step up and be counted.

It definitely is the end of an era in some respects, from the team that last won the All Ireland to the team that will start next year, you will be looking at nearly half of that team not being there, a lot of them All Stars, it is very hard to fill such a large gap of quality players, especially those that have such a winning mentality.

I do agree that they should still be in the hunt for an All Ireland but now that teams have gained some ground it will be a lot more competitive.

Still missing a presence in midfield, Quirke is muck at this level pure and simple, I like Maher as a footballer but I agree he needs to toughen up.

I would be happy enough to see the back of Jack if I am being honest, I have never rated him as highly as others and the lack of tactical changes in the last game was dumbfounding. Maybe some of the players that have been left out in the cold will get a look in if he goes.

I would say two or three years of rebuilding and then maybe a serious assault on it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

we are probably more likely to win an all ireland in the short term rather than the medium term.
    once players like declan sullivan, paul galvin, star retire in the next 3 years, i think that's when we might be in some trouble.
    there does not appear to be an awful lot coming through.
    it's 1994 since our last minor all-ireland.
    2008 since last u-21 all ireland.

i expected players like milk moloney from that u-21 team to break through & challenge for places but that has not happened. same with bj walsh, etc.

this year i felt that some of the more senior players were not challenged for their places. but then, during the mcgrath cup & national league nobody really put their hands up. and jack did use all possible subs in all games. i guess it's up to the players too to take responsibility and push on. hard to see where the next "fear laidir" in the middle of the field is coming from. at this moment it does not appear to be maher or buckley.

anyway, onto the county championships now and i think that most players out there know that there will be a big inter-county panel picked for january - so a good showing in the county championships will get you closer to that panel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement